Genetically Modified (GM) – Accurascale Takes Route 66 With Latest Locomotive Release in 00/4mm!

Wobbles on some through poorly mounted axle boxes perhaps, the 'old Hattons' 66 is an absolutely superb performer!

Super smooth, can crawl, has HUGE haulage capacity, and a simply rude turn of speed.

Are any of these performance parameters going to change much?

Al.

Edited by atom3624

• RMweb Gold
16 minutes ago, atom3624 said:

Wobbles on some through poorly mounted axle boxes perhaps, the 'old Hattons' 66 is an absolutely superb performer!

Super smooth, can crawl, has HUGE haulage capacity, and a simply rude turn of speed.

Are any of these performance parameters going to change much?

Al.

Hi Al,

Same as before but without the wobble is our aim, naturally! 

Thanks for the feedback folks. Of course there are some changes we can make to the previous tooling and some that is just beyond what we can do, but we are aware of the replacement light clusters on 004 and lashing eyes location and seeing what we can do.

Cheers!

Fran

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Agree that the Freightliner green definitely needs to go darker. I actually think that the light lenses are the correct length it’s the actual lighting unit/cluster itself that is too deep. I wonder if it’s possible to gently file back the light unit until it’s flush with the light lenses? Note that the lamp iron/hook sits out further than the lights, it kinda sits flush on the model. Hopefully something can be done at the factory 🤞🏻 Echoing what’s already been said, it’s shaping up very nicely indeed and looking forward to those I have on order 👍🏻

2A9794A2-DA9E-4A58-87FF-CE733C5F6427.jpeg

55FC623A-4B07-42B9-A710-6DE8972C6489.png

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, Accurascale Fran said:

Hi Al,

Same as before but without the wobble is our aim, naturally! 

Thanks for the feedback folks. Of course there are some changes we can make to the previous tooling and some that is just beyond what we can do, but we are aware of the replacement light clusters on 004 and lashing eyes location and seeing what we can do.

Cheers!

Fran

Hi Fran

It's great you're taking on this excellent model.

I'll be interested in hearing what you've changed on the rotating axleboxes to make them work? To my eyes the rotating axle boxes look the same as the Hattons versions and can see in the photos they look different in how each one fits (ie proud of the bogie)? Is that sideplay or to allow a bit of movement? 

Also I think its on your list of improvements but the change you've made to the moulding to allow a removable roof looks like it could so with some improvement in fit. The exhaust silencers also look like they have a bit of extra height over the Hattons versions but again that's probably a preproduction example? 

Thanks and I look forward to these hitting the market.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

6 hours ago, Shoey said:

I’m not too sure if the light clusters are slightly too large… it may just be the angle difference between the two photos of the model and the prototype. I can’t fully comment as I’ve never seen 66004 other than photos.

2 hours ago, Denny said:

Ooh yes! Good spot. The lashing eyes do throw a few things out being in the wrong place… 

I am so pleased others have spotted this too, it's my number one bug bear about the Hatton's tooling. 

If I may combine your photos, to suggest the modern light also should have the same size lamps. I told Steve a few times. 

IMG_2303.jpeg.10ceb701fca4f2dc6102fbd549e3ffd6.jpeg.8ed7333da56db167672ef814bc39d63e.jpeg

Also, I am very interested in the GBRf ones.

Yet, the white (too 'white' or 'cream') and green (too light) on 779 doesn't look (well is not) right. See attached correct colours, I am sure if Steve messages me privately I would happily share the codes, as I really want to buy 779 if correct. (Mind you, would you not have the artwork from GBRf?).

IMG_2242.JPG.27e35fb95958c22207a58a9129d2310e.JPG

On 763, I am not convinced by the gold. Seems too dark/too much honey. There is also a band of gold missing above the cab windows. The silver seems to be over printed too. (NB. there's different blues used by GBRf...certainly 752-778 came in a near 'ultramarine' blue). 

66763square_2000x2000-2copy.jpg.3c7d4592ac32b72a6d09c95a356a67fe.jpg27155151161_dc88819294_ocopy.jpg.54539e4161e59f169b5626fe0f69cdbf.jpg

And now nitpicking...

66763square_2000x2000-2.jpg.07dc126de168f415d106dcdec2f2bed4.jpg27155151161_dc88819294_o.jpg.dbff096c0bbc198c8f087be771ce40fb.jpg

Look forward to ordering a sound fitted 779 from you, if the colours are sorted. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

18 minutes ago, Shoey said:

I actually think that the light lenses are the correct length it’s the actual lighting unit/cluster itself that is too deep. 

Correct, they are the same measurements of more recent ones. Only clusters which are slightly deeper are the new type (seen on 004). 

All measurements can be found here: https://www.bmac.ltd.uk I rejected my Hatton's ones a long time ago, so do not have a model to measure against a prototype. 

44 minutes ago, Shoey said:

Agree that the Freightliner green definitely needs to go darker. I actually think that the light lenses are the correct length it’s the actual lighting unit/cluster itself that is too deep. I wonder if it’s possible to gently file back the light unit until it’s flush with the light lenses? Note that the lamp iron/hook sits out further than the lights, it kinda sits flush on the model. Hopefully something can be done at the factory 🤞🏻 Echoing what’s already been said, it’s shaping up very nicely indeed and looking forward to those I have on order 👍🏻

2A9794A2-DA9E-4A58-87FF-CE733C5F6427.jpeg

55FC623A-4B07-42B9-A710-6DE8972C6489.png

It’s the light above the windscreen that jars most for me - your photos show it well. This then makes me question whether the porch over front windows is too deep as light seems level with front of porch…

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, PjKing1 said:

I know I’ve asked this early on in the thread but don’t think I had any reply, are these 66’s EM and P4 friendly?

Paul

All their other locos have been so far so I don’t see this one being any different 

• Thanks 1

To continue my recent communications, if certain aspects have changed little, and it is anticipated the updated / upgraded 66 will perform in similar manner to the H66, is it possible the motor / driveshafts could be interchangeable?

Basically, if a H66 motor fails, with an increasing A/S spares availability mentioned elsewhere, might it be possible to supply / fit an A/S motor?

I don't need one as yet, but in the event of requirement, it might be nice to know where and what.

Al.

4 hours ago, Hilux5972 said:

All their other locos have been so far so I don’t see this one being any different 

Were the original Hattons ? It’s only the end of the axles changing it seems to keep the hubcaps on.

• RMweb Gold

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the feedback on the 66, lots to go through. Just to reiterate what we said yesterday and previously;

1. The fit and finish of parts like the removable hatch for the DCC decoder is being altered

2. We are looking at incorporating the new LED lights Class 66s such as 004 are now receiving with the factory and see if it can be done ahead of delivery

3. Some livery and lettering corrections will indeed be undertaken (I missed this out in the update, so that's my bad!)

4. Lifting rings are being assessed position wise along with the new lights

5. The rotating axle box has been changed internally on the bogie to mimic a system used with our IRM metrovick which has performed flawlessly in this regard. We would rather not go into specifics as we know other manufacturers like to learn a lot of what we are up to from our RMWeb posts these days. We will have video content coming soon showing them in operation. 

6. The model in its design is a real challenge to make it EM/P4 friendly like our other diesels, so we are not billing this loco as an easy conversion nor are we providing wheelsets for it.

I think it needs to be remembered that while it is an excellent model to begin with it can be very difficult to alter existing tooling correctly. We have gone through the tooling thoroughly and done changes and fixes where we can, but others can be difficult/impossible to do, so there will have to be a couple of minor compromises along the way. 

Cheers!

Fran 

• Like 5
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Friendly/supportive 6

17 minutes ago, Accurascale Fran said:

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the feedback on the 66, lots to go through. Just to reiterate what we said yesterday and previously;

1. The fit and finish of parts like the removable hatch for the DCC decoder is being altered

2. We are looking at incorporating the new LED lights Class 66s such as 004 are now receiving with the factory and see if it can be done ahead of delivery

3. Some livery and lettering corrections will indeed be undertaken (I missed this out in the update, so that's my bad!)

5. The rotating axle box has been changed internally on the bogie to mimic a system used with our IRM metrovick which has performed flawlessly in this regard. We would rather not go into specifics as we know other manufacturers like to learn a lot of what we are up to from our RMWeb posts these days. We will have video content coming soon showing them in operation. 

6. The model in its design is a real challenge to make it EM/P4 friendly like our other diesels, so we are not billing this loco as an easy conversion nor are we providing wheelsets for it.

I think it needs to be remembered that while it is an excellent model to begin with it can be very difficult to alter existing tooling correctly. We have gone through the tooling thoroughly and done changes and fixes where we can, but others can be difficult/impossible to do, so there will have to be a couple of minor compromises along the way. 

Cheers!

Fran 

I also think people have to remember it’s 4mm scale with some of the expectations, people want more and more but then grumble when timelines are pushed back.

In my eyes these types of models have come along way in a short space of time, maybe we’re now spoilt with what the manufacturers are putting out, it’s not that long ago that a diesel locos detail pack would have a vacuum pipe and a stiff screw link coupling to add and nothing else.  

I do love these ultra detailed models but I also still get enjoyment out of doing some actual modelling and detailing / updating ‘older’ 5-15 year old models up to modern standards.

Keep up the good work 👍

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Attatching anything with glue to a rotating object is asking for trouble like the Hattons 66 was but i guess was the only solution to allow quick assembly to make thousands,as it needs to run true,Boudicia must have had her hands full driving the prototype,but as Fran has pointed out the A class is flawless. As ive posted getting a longer axle in is possible but takes time and patience.the origional one i did still runs fine to this day, a plastic end cap detail will be a handy spare as doing the metal sleeve and cutting the origional detail is chew.

Just have faith in these guys and it will be worth the wait and be reliable,unless your the kid with a box of broken Tonka toys,its not for you.........:)

IMG_0295.JPG

IMG_0296.JPG

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Accurascale Fran said:

Hi everyone,

Cheers!

Fran 

Thanks Fran.

My recent question was would it be possible to replace a H66 motor, in the event it's worn out, with a new A/S Class 66 motor?

Al.

• RMweb Premium
48 minutes ago, atom3624 said:

Thanks Fran.

My recent question was would it be possible to replace a H66 motor, in the event it's worn out, with a new A/S Class 66 motor?

Al.

John has done a lot of this to fix or swap motors on a few threads,hes the go too guy for info

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

Specific question re Evening Star.

Noting the point about the interface of the exhaust roof section, this particular livery has lining running over the exact point of the interface, and it strikes me that any slight gap will interrupt this lining, or that there will be potential for flaws in the printing of the lower orange line so close to the edge of the body side.

To a lesser extent this also impacts 66004 Climate Hero, where the leaf logo runs onto the part of the body included in the removable section.

Might it be possible/prudent to use the unmodified Hattons body tool for this particular release and dispense with the separate roof section in order to preserve the livery integrity. (Obviously if the tooling has been modified rather than remade to produce the removable roof section, this is no longer an option)

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
41 minutes ago, ERIC ALLTORQUE said:

John has done a lot of this to fix or swap motors on a few threads,hes the go too guy for info

thanks,

if you want a short cut, for £5.15 and 3 weeks shipping..

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002670420818.html

this motor is the same size/dimensions, rpm, weight, volt range etc as the Hattons 66. 
Its also near identical to several other rtr motors used across several manufacturers (ive spotted 37, 73,87,92 all with a motor looking suspiciously similar and matching credentials.

The one shown with flywheels, £6,06, has same size flywheel as used on the Dapol Class 73.

Theres certainly nothing stopping you using it with the smaller fly wheels in the 66, one of mine is happily running with it, but you may want to swap for the original 66 flywheels and for 90p extra you have 2 very nice spare brass flywheels (which tend to be quite expensive in europe) for a future project.

The plastic bearing cups can be pulled off with pliers, but Ali has these too, and are also a useful part to have around (especially the long ones as you can trim them to suit)… 87041…£7.93 for 12

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002394222645.html

For a shaft replacement, i’d suggest a Dapol class 121 shaft, and cut to shorter length, use a bit of brass rod with glue as a collar when gluing back together, as this shaft is metal…*

https://www.dccsupplies.com/shop/class-121-122-oo-drive-shaft/

* Accurascale take note… for the 66 as the Hattons 66 plastic shaft isnt very meaty and a mis-set motor, or gearbox cover will easily break them.. you’ll hear then banging side to side on the chassis wall warping !

However you can achieve the same result by cutting/extending with a bit of brass rod using 87044 or 87045 in the above link.

The motor and cups is well worth having as a spare, as the same profile/size (whilst different manufacturers) is used in many other brands too.

Beware Ali does become addictive as its cheap…. ive just recently bough a bunch of motors for a unique experiment (if it works) on my scrapped Hattons 66 chassis!

Edited by adb968008
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I noticed this combination of 66 and 37 for nuclear flask transport

image.png.5a10e19205050102d6b9e612d736c223.png

I was wondering if an Accurascale DCC sound fitted 37 could consist with a DCC sound fitted 66. This would be using an ECoS DCC controller.

• RMweb Gold
30 minutes ago, zr2498 said:

I noticed this combination of 66 and 37 for nuclear flask transport

image.png.5a10e19205050102d6b9e612d736c223.png

I was wondering if an Accurascale DCC sound fitted 37 could consist with a DCC sound fitted 66. This would be using an ECoS DCC controller.

Should be no reason why not, both locos will have essentially the same PCB's, Motors and ESU LokSounds on board. 

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, McC said:

Should be no reason why not, both locos will have essentially the same PCB's, Motors and ESU LokSounds on board. 

Thanks for the 'superfast' feedback. There are a number of ways to consist with the ECoS which I will need to try out, but I believe it is important to speed match them beforehand. Might need a CV 5 adjustment?

To prove the point here is a photo

image.png.7d5a33625ad3b4c488dc0660d3d7bd25.png

It would make for an interesting sound!

Something of a rule 1 ish if I use the 66/0 (not 66/4 as used for this duty), and pity the 37609s are sold out but some 602s possibly with retailers.

Cheers

• RMweb Premium
29 minutes ago, zr2498 said:

Thanks for the 'superfast' feedback. There are a number of ways to consist with the ECoS which I will need to try out, but I believe it is important to speed match them beforehand. Might need a CV 5 adjustment?

To prove the point here is a photo

image.png.7d5a33625ad3b4c488dc0660d3d7bd25.png

It would make for an interesting sound!

Something of a rule 1 ish if I use the 66/0 (not 66/4 as used for this duty), and pity the 37609s are sold out but some 602s possibly with retailers.

Cheers

37 and 66 cannot work in multi, so either it'll need two drivers or one loco is only idling/shutdown

• Informative/Useful 1