Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Coronation of His Majesty the King, Class 66, 06523 'King Charles III' - Club Exclusive

miles73128

I've said it before and I will say it again. Nothing puts me off railway modelling more than other railway modellers.

Every product thread if full of people telling me my opinion. Every item is the wrong version/livery/number or something. If you're not interested and you're not buying it what does it matter? Just play with your toy trains and let other people play with theirs. It really is that simple.

• Like 1
  • Agree 7
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, Mr chapman said:

I've said it before and I will say it again. Nothing puts me off railway modelling more than other railway modellers.

Every product thread if full of people telling me my opinion. Every item is the wrong version/livery/number or something. If you're not interested and you're not buying it what does it matter? Just play with your toy trains and let other people play with theirs. It really is that simple.

It’s a bit of fun! Do we need to take life so seriously?  If you like it and it’ll give you pleasure , go for it . 

• Like 8
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, Mr chapman said:

If that’s the case I wouldn’t recommend your reading a newspaper.

Cheers

Darius

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
23 minutes ago, Mr chapman said:

Every product thread if full of people telling me my opinion. ....

RMweb would be a rather dull place if no-one shared their opinions and while I'm not shy of sharing mine that doesn't mean that I expect everyone to fall in behind my point of view. In fact I'd be very surprised if everyone did and as long as the debate is good natured then I see little harm taking place.

• Like 3
  • Agree 8
  • Round of applause 1

For what this is, i.e a bit of harmless fun not to be taken seriously, I like it. Purple is my second favourite colour and this particular shade is lovely, it fits the shape of the 66 nicely.

Alas I'm not a member of the collector's club so I shall wait until one appears on eBay for £999. 😆

A Railroad Plus loco with TTS sound is in the region of £120 (R30042TTS)  One with TSX (R30048TXS) is similarly priced, so £130 for a commemorative club loco isn't all that bad.

"Merely" from interest, as I have a wad of hobby reward points, it brings the price down to £104 or thereabouts which ain't bad for a TSX fitted loco.  Looking at the retail price of a 21pin TSX chip, its close to a bargain. I may well actually buy one of these things to go with my TTS fitted "Captain Tom"...

14 minutes ago, Hroth said:

A Railroad Plus loco with TTS sound is in the region of £120 (R30042TTS)  One with TSX (R30048TXS) is similarly priced, so £130 for a commemorative club loco isn't all that bad.

"Merely" from interest, as I have a wad of hobby reward points, it brings the price down to £104 or thereabouts which ain't bad for a TSX fitted loco.  Looking at the retail price of a 21pin TSX chip, its close to a bargain. I may well actually buy one of these things to go with my TTS fitted "Captain Tom"...

The email has no mention of DCC that I can see, why do you assume its TSX fitted?

Click through to the order page and the details say its "DCC ready with a 21 pin socket"!

My assumption is that the sound player is a talking birthday card style cheapie that will play on DC operation.

And given its very specific that they only have 1000 its not really going to do wonders for their bottom line, maybe they are hoping for a bunch of extra club members who will eventually buy a lot more. 🙂

Edited by Grovenor
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

1 minute ago, Grovenor said:

The email has no mention of DCC that I can see, why do you assume its TSX fitted?

Click through to the order page and the details say its "DCC ready with a 21 pin socket"!

My assumption is that the sound player is a talking birthday card style cheapie that will play on DC operation.

And given its very specific that they only have 1000 its not really going to do wonders for their bottom line, maybe they are hoping for a bunch of extra club members who will eventually buy a lot more. 🙂

The SKU ending in TXS is a bit of a giveaway...

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

I already did 

A price breakdown of how it's a bargain with the chip.. it's clearly marked tsx it's a 70£ chip with 19.50 back in rewards. Tbh the difference left most club members already will have banked. 

If it doesn't come with a chip.. return it. Simple

Edited by Ighten

• Moderators
41 minutes ago, Colin_McLeod said:

Now if Hornby had produced a King class, next number in the series and named "King Charles III" then I would have bought one.

It'd look nice in purple.

😁

The old 66 is an easier product to knock out quickly, I wouldn't be surprised if each run put a few more bodies and chassis through to await a quick livery job for 'occasions'. Maybe that's what these are? 

• Like 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium

We may all think it's tat, personally I find it hilarious, but if it sells and makes a profit for Hornby then it helps them to keep making the sort of stuff people here will buy. Which isn't a bad thing.

• Like 2

decided to ring Hornby and ask about the TSX HM7000  status... Think they had gone home for the coronation but somone eventually answered (didnt they use to have a collectors club private number to Simons desk ;) )

Eventually passed from pillar to post but seems it comes with 21 pin chip.. Im guessing then the sound profile for this simply has a unique god saves the king attached to a bell or horn function on the app -   So nothing to stop you ignoring that and just downloading any 21pin profile.

• Informative/Useful 2

1 hour ago, Pmorgancym said:

Gotta be fair I am surprised we've not seen a Royal 47 or 67 this year.

This is probably only opening the floodgates.  There'll probably be a purple 47 "William, Prince of Wales" for the general market next, though I don't know when his investiture is going to take place...

• Agree 1

22 minutes ago, Hroth said:

This is probably only opening the floodgates.  There'll probably be a purple 47 "William, Prince of Wales" for the general market next, though I don't know when his investiture is going to take place...

That may actually turn out to be prototypical as TfW did mention it at some point.

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Mr chapman said:

Forum..

noun

noun: forum; plural noun: forums; plural noun: fora
a meeting or medium where ideas and views on a particular issue can be exchanged.

"we hope these pages act as a forum for debate"

it sounds like a Forum is the wrong place for you.

I did look up the opposite of Forum, but its not appealing.

https://www.wordhippo.com/what-is/the-opposite-of/forum.html#C0-1

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Colin_McLeod said:

Now if Hornby had produced a King class, next number in the series and named "King Charles III" then I would have bought one.

I suppose they could have used an LMS Princess in GW Green, with copper cap chimney, top feed, Collett tender, King front Bogie and numbered it 6523

It would have been a modernised king class, as fitting the vogue we are told.

Edited by adb968008
  • Funny 2

6 hours ago, Grovenor said:

Oh gawd. 

It will be playing continuously on a DC layout, not just when the operator sees fit to press a function button.

Just wait till you're manning the club stand or a trade stall next to it at an exhibition!

• Agree 1
  • Funny 1