Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Simon Kohler to retire from Hornby

AY Mod

17 minutes ago, lapford34102 said:

Agreed, has worked hard for the company and deserves his retirement. A bit of an act for someone to follow though.

Stu

The first problem for the new person will be the continual chorus of "Simon wouldn't have done that" from various forums. I would suggest we give whoever takes over full licence to go their own way.

• Like 1
  • Agree 7

• RMweb Gold

I just logged on and saw the bunting and this was the first topic ….. just for a second I thought  ‘he’s not that bad surely’ 😂

Have a happy retirement, I’m told it’s harder than working as you’ve no time. 

• Like 6
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 8
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Simons done well at Hornby, and whether you agree with him or not, theres no doubting his life long commitment to Hornby and the impact he’s had on the hobby.

de-ja-vue, 9 years since he first retired.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2014/jun/27/horby-close-warehouse-kent

Whilst it will be hard to fill his shoes, it is an oppourtunity for a strong person to make an impact.. I think that was the void left last time.

i somehow doubt he will “dissapear” from view.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 4
  • Agree 7

• RMweb Gold

All the best to him. I trust he will still be enjoying the products.

It will be interesting to see how Hornby develops going forward with his successor. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

Hello everyone

May I join everyone in wishing Simon all the best for a well-earned retirement?

I have known Simon for more years than I can recall and have had many happy 'chatting sessions' with him at shows. I know it is now fairly commonplace for model companies to actually speak face-to-face to customers but - as far as I am aware - Simon may well have been 'the prototype'.

I have often stood close to him waiting to speak while he had someone 'rabbiting on' about some obscure loco that Hornby ought to make. Always polite to the end! And how did he manage to remember so many names in a sea of faces?

Well done Simon! All the very best!

Brian

• Like 10
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Pmorgancym said:

The last time he left, wasn't it a bit disastrous?  Design clever, going all in on Olympic  tat etc..

That was before he left . From memory SK announced "Design Clever" which I still think wasn't a bad concept had it been applied appropriately and consistently . I think Design Clever was in  some Southern emus for instance , which seemed to go down well 

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, Pmorgancym said:

Design clever, going all in on Olympic  tat etc..

No, that was before he left in 2013.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Legend said:

That was before he left . From memory SK announced "Design Clever" which I still think wasn't a bad concept had it been applied appropriately and consistently . I think Design Clever was in  some Southern emus for instance , which seemed to go down well 

Agreed, tbe only problem I had with it was the name, on parts like coach door handles I'd rather have consistent well moulded parts than separate parts prone to falling off / being applied a bit wonky.

• Like 4
  • Agree 4

3 minutes ago, Pmorgancym said:

The last time he left, wasn't it a bit disastrous?  Design clever, going all in on Olympic  tat etc..

I wish Simon a enjoyable retirement. He did well at being to help and was able to grab some low hanging fruit to help Hornby. But big green express engines only get you so far and I can't help but think that the creativity of things like Q6 and Duke need to be followed up with other inspiring choices - rather than Hornby defaulting to Simons Southern or express favourites. BR transition that Hornby keep aiming for is slowly loosing out to privitisation and with the diesels in the range poached by others Hornby need some serious effort to keep on track and defend their range. Simon has been great to help revise fortunes but new ideas and a fresh perspective might be what Hornby actually needs most. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Premium

He deserves an award for service to British model railways, a gold loco?

TV series shows Hornby has some ace younger design talent as well as experienced hands.

Dava

• Like 2
  • Agree 4