RMweb

HOW MUCH to go a show?

Phil Parker

Apparently, it costs money to go to the Chelsea flower show. And people are not happy:

https://www.facebook.com/guardianlifeandstyle/posts/6179180072168771?comment_id=1402569793874455&notif_id=1685603108433798&notif_t=feedback_reaction_generic&ref=notif

Can't help feeling a lot of those moans look very similar to the ones we see here when ticket prices are discussed. And ours are a LOT cheaper. Although you can't generally get Pims at a toy train event...

• Agree 2

£57.85 entry for reduced members' rate on the cheaper days? If I was keen on gardening (which I am definitely not), I would expect a fantastic display for that, which it probably is.

Some people will complain about any prices because they want something for nothing.

We may baulk at prices for some things but they are another person's livelihood. Whether it is clothes or eating out, going cheap means someone is being payed peanuts for what is provided. Paying a little more allows other to enjoy the same luxuries we appreciate.

Model railway shows are no different. After taking away venue hire & layout expenses, the clubs who organise the shows (assuming they are club shows) will hopefully have some money left over for themselves to keep producing layouts for future shows.

It often costs me less to get in to a show than it does to get there too.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

Funny how one group of peole moan about the price of tickets, while another group moan about how difficult it is to actually obtain tickets. Similar to Wimbledon or Glyndbourne I suppose, a case of supply and demand, with prices set accordingly.

Bernard

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

In the 50s and 60s, my parents would always go on Members' Day. It can't have been expensive, as we lived in a tied cottage with no bathroom! But Dad was an RHS member for many years, once winning first prize for blackcurrants at the annual show in Westminster. 

• Like 12

5 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

In the 50s and 60s, my parents would always go on Members' Day. It can't have been expensive, as we lived in a tied cottage with no bathroom! But Dad was an RHS member for many years, once winning first prize for blackcurrants at the annual show in Westminster. 

Back in those days my parents were also members. If I remember correctly you got a cerain number of tickets as part of the subscription, as well as those for members Day, along with free entry to the gardens at Wisley. At some point the RHS reduced the number of tickets and my parents did not continue to be members. I have still been on the odd occassion and just bought tickets for the day.

Bernard

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Long before model railways I used to go every year and make the trek by National Express. It was a very tiring day and taking your purchases on the tube was eye opening. The prices 30 years ago stack up today and even with a RHS members ticket it was an expensive treat. I notice the crowds seem larger than I remember back then so maybe it's a fashionable gig to be at now. The gardens never interested me, it was the pavilion's growers that were/are the stars of the show. Getting something well out of season to flower the last week in May is amazing.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, AY Mod said:

parking is £42. 😁

I'm sure the people driving their Chelsea Tractor to the show can afford it, along with the ULEZ and Congestion charge. Most normal people would get the tube there.

• Agree 5

9 hours ago, AY Mod said:

parking is £42. 😁

My last MOT cost £45 so we're into the territory of finding a nearby garage and leaving it there for a bit of work done.

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, DLT said:

How many people actually PAY to get into Chelsea?  Or are they all "special guests", or have privilege tickets, or those on VIP visits?

I must admit we didn’t pay for our tickets but they were a lovely present from a friend.

We had a really nice day. 

• Like 2

A pair of welly's, bib 'n' brace overalls, a flat cap, carry a rake on the shoulder and breeze in......

Edited by 33C
add letter
  • Like 3
  • Funny 3

8 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

That's how we used to get tickets as well.

2 hours ago, Bernard Lamb said:

At some point the RHS reduced the number of tickets and my parents did not continue to be members.

That's why we stopped going as well.

1 hour ago, gwrrob said:

taking your purchases on the tube was eye opening.

Context is amazing. After the show, getting on the tube at Sloane Square with sharp-edged gardening tools, we didn't get a glance from Plod. A couple of stops away at Fulham Broadway, younger people could have been arrested on sight for carrying potentially dangerous or offensive weapons. Sometimes it's good to look old and harmless!

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, KeithMacdonald said:
3 hours ago, Bernard Lamb said:

At some point the RHS reduced the number of tickets and my parents did not continue to be members.

That's why we stopped going as well.

I know the feeling.   As a Great Central Railway shareholder I was always happy to spend a day there and use my annual Day Rover pass.   Never been back since they stopped the members' free travel one day in the year.  Their loss because I am no longer spending money in their catering outlets and souvenir shops.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
20 minutes ago, 33C said:

A pair of welly's, bib 'n' brace overalls, a flat cap. carry a rake on the shoulder and breeze in......

Hi-viz jacket, hard hat and a clipboard. Works anywhere...

• Agree 3

10 hours ago, Bernard Lamb said:

Funny how one group of peole moan about the price of tickets, while another group moan about how difficult it is to actually obtain tickets. Similar to Wimbledon or Glyndbourne I suppose, a case of supply and demand, with prices set accordingly.

If you want ticket drama over eyewatering prices and unobtainum tickets may I refer you to "Ticketmaster" and the Taylor Swift Eras tour?

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

1 hour ago, DLT said:

How many people actually PAY to get into Chelsea?  Or are they all "special guests", or have privilege tickets, or those on VIP visits?

Isn't it like the National Trust where it's "free" if you're a member* but eye wateringly expensive if not?

*even though membership is quite expensive I reckon most members probably get their value for money by repeat visits

8 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

Isn't it like the National Trust where it's "free" if you're a member* but eye wateringly expensive if not?

And that's just the car parks. M'Lady got stung for £7 for 1/2 hour parking. She's still spits feathers at the mention of their name.