Dapol to produce Hawksworth Q13 Inspection Saloon for Rails of Sheffield

AY Mod

• 4 weeks later...

What livery were these originally outshopped in? I model the immediate nationalisation period, so could just about justify purchasing one. Not sure if I'm trying to find an excuse to buy one, or, at £150, an excuse not to buy one!

Will

1 hour ago, Forward! said:

What livery were these originally outshopped in? I model the immediate nationalisation period, so could just about justify purchasing one. Not sure if I'm trying to find an excuse to buy one, or, at £150, an excuse not to buy one!

Will

They were originally in the chocolate and cream with the double lining, the numbers look to be in a GWR style font as well, looking a bit more ornate than Gill Sans

BL-201-001 is based on W80943 in original livery

• Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, SWASFRS46256 said:

They were originally in the chocolate and cream with the double lining, the numbers look to be in a GWR style font as well, looking a bit more ornate than Gill Sans

BL-201-001 is based on W80943 in original livery

Well that's pre-order gone in then!

Will

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, BVMR21 said:

Hawksworth Saloon at Blaenavon a while back now. 
Standard service train with it being used for First Class.

So definitely some operational potential for them.

IMG_5530.jpeg

It is being used a the brake van on that train as well; being fully equipped to do so.  The guard's compartment was the central vestibule and contained the full kit; handbrake, vacuum (or air as appropriate} setter, gauges, fold-up seat, first-aid kit, ladder, wrecking tools, and a bracket for a spare tail lamp.  But this is a preservation picture and not a representation of what happened in big railway service.  These saloons were normally used singly and could be hauled or propelled by a locomotive, but if for any reason they were attached to a passenger or NPCCS train, usually for delivery to a location away from the normal stabling point, the guard would normally ride in the normal brake compartment, not on the saloon, which would have been unmanned and the steward kept the keys.  On a gangwayed train, the guard needs to be accessible to the passengers.

Note that the steps have been set out in this photo.  They were the same as autotrailer steps, operated by a lever in the vestibule by the guard.

On 11/07/2023 at 02:37, johnhutnick said:

Can someone please post a floorplan drawing.

Not off hand, but I can give you a description.

The small saloon, this end in the photo, had a desk across the end with two armchairs.  The armchairs used throughout the coach were a round half-back type.  The centre of the saloon was occupied by a work table, mahogany with green baize top, and the dividing bulkhead, at the second full window, had a writing desk with document storage cabinets at the side of and behind it.  There were benches along the sides and dining chairs of a similar style to the armchairs at the table. 

Next compartment is the toilet, which was a normal coach toilet, then the vestibule with the brake van equipment,then a small storage cupboard for the linen, then the galley.  After that there was the large saloon, similarly equipped to the small one but used as the dining saloon.  There were mahogany cabinets on the bulkhead between it and the gallye which stored the crockery and cutlery, and the longer table was used as the dining table.  Benches along the sides again, and a repeat of the end desk and armchairs.  By the time I worked one in the early 70s air horns were fitted with the horn lever on the desk, but they were previously fitted with autotrailer-type bells, I assume operated by foot treadle as were those on autotrailers. 

The toilet and galley can be identified by the frosted glass windows, but on the other side of the coach there was a corridor with two large plain windows, one each side of the vestibule door.  The single small window between the toilet and the vestibule door was for the use of the guard and marks the vestibule/toilet bulkhead.

The Miniature Buffet is in a preservation livery; none of these coaches were given WR 1956 chocolate/cream livery in service.  They were introduced post 1956, and painted lined maroon until 1966 and the blue/grey corporate livery.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, AndrewB7585 said:

Locomotion models have announced that Dapol is to make an exclusive model of the Q13 inspection saloon for their Railway Icons range. I’m guessing it will be an exclusive livery and that the rest will stay as previously announced 

https://mailchi.mp/locomotionmodels/new-railway-icons-model-announcement

Available from both Locomotion and RoS as it's a Railway Icons model.

On 03/07/2023 at 19:36, Rugd1022 said:

These two Neil Philips shots of D6322 with DB999508 at Truro in 1971 are from the excellent Cornwall Railway Society site...

CCd6322-db999508-truro-in-yard-early-71-copyright-william-heggie_1NEILPHILIPS.jpg.08eb70668694c3fa524e738ce49f52a2.jpg

CCd6322-db999508-truro-in-falmouth-bay-early-71-copyright-william-heggie_1_origNPIPS.jpg.3d9a8c2d7755e4bb58f2377411f72c12.jpg

I appreciate it's not a Hawksworth Saloon but is a nice bit of filler all the same.

Pleasantly surprised to see these on here Nidge! I sent the images to the CRS but they were taken by a school friend, William (Bill) Heggie, who IIRC was a member of the school's photography club, developed the photos there and handed me a spare set of prints. I believe they were taken in March 1971 and he probably caught the first move in the remodelling of Truro yard which progressed over the following 7 months and included demolition of the old steam shed and Truro West Box and closure of the Newham branch.

I hung on to these photos because I thought one day I might build a model of DB999508....

20230923_160139.jpg.31dceb4c838665278e8fc66231dee63c.jpg20230923_160215.jpg.93dc11152f9e722e144a08dd99f53e88.jpg20230923_160332.jpg.d8fe6fd6cf023f3d5a3f392e6bc32feb.jpg20230923_160915.jpg.2686b780bdb6cecffb0364c69a920639.jpg

This is based on a Triang-Hornby Mark 1 Buffet Car with a spare 'buffet' side, a later-tooled roof and scratch-built ends, and Bill's pictures were close to essential to enable me to do this. There are 6 sections in one side and 4 in the other. The chassis was cleared of all underframe detail, shortened to a scale 57' and the centre part of a Replica Railways Mk1 BG underframe moulding grafted on, which also acts as a 'splint' Why not just use the Replica underframe? Because I decided to build the body in one piece, to resolve the end water filler pipe issue, and retain the T-H 'tongue-in-groove' method of locating the sides into the chassis - I felt this was the best way to keep everything square and rigid. Whether it was less work is debatable - it also means the interior fittings have to be a scale foot away from the walls but I hope the curtains will hide that....) It was also discovered that Replica Mk 1 glazing is a near-perfect fit for this T-H coach with its window raised rimming, so that's standing by. I will have to have another go at the interior as it was educated guesswork and I know I haven't got the end saloon tables right.

Sadly it has been in this ghostly state for longer (much longer) than I care to admit to - it seems that these days I prefer the building to the painting - but it's on a long list of other things which need finishing and I've told myself, in no uncertain terms, to get organised for spraying sessions next summer. After all, I finished D6322 in 1998 (that's not to say that DB999508 has been hanging around for 25 years - I'm not THAT bad!!)

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 1

2 hours ago, The Johnster said:

Prolly best not to Google that…

Yes, on reflection I could have described that better! I knew what I meant but.......

Apologies for wondering off-topic with that, but there is a connection, apart from the obvious - I've seen the three Mark 1 saloons DB999506/8/9 also described as Diagram Q13. I believe this is confused, these three were 1/552 which perhaps unusually was a diagram in the freight series(?) Not sure why such confusion exists, after all nobody confuses Hawksworth and BR Mark 1 coaches and the number of end windows at least is surely a massive clue.......

(Should I own up to the 'lookalike' I carved out of a Hornby Class 110 centre car about 30 years ago, and which I still have? Er.................no 🥴!)

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Some EPs including the Locomotion edition of the nymr example.

of note is some open sidelights and a door window (but they noted the EP needs adjusting as the frame is still there despite the window being open.. this will be modified.

IMG_1512.jpeg

IMG_1510.jpeg

IMG_1508.jpeg

IMG_1506.jpeg

• Like 10
  • Thanks 4

• RMweb Premium

Plus this isn't tooling that can be used for years to come and produce loads of.

It's a niche item, and it's never going to sell anywhere close to the numbers of standard coach tooling.

Highly detailed fairly unique items will always fetch a premium due to their nature.

Edited by Fair Oak Junction
  • Agree 1

Not to mention the smaller geographic area these coaches covered.

Anyway it's not too bad, I've been wanting to have a Q13 for ages, so was a no brainer for myself to order, the price is higher than I would normally pay but I'm only likely to buy one, maybe a second if I so felt like it, so from a multi run perspective it is going to cost more per model.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Mallard60022 said:

I asked elsewhere but I think Pannier Froth obscured my question.

Thus, which of these, if any, would be OK for circa1963 in the west Country around Somerset Devon and Cornwall?

Many thanks.

Phil

Unfortunately the best livery isn't being offered - the chocolate and cream with lining and red droplights is 'as built' with GWR styling. I don't know how long they lasted like that but at some point in the 1950's they lost the lining and red droplights. (My guess is that this probably happened fairly quickly, in the same way that pre nationalisation features were removed from regular coaching stock.) They were still in that condition until the early 1960's when the SYP was added. I have ordered a SYP version and will either leave it like that, or backdate it by painting over the SYP. (My inspiration is a photo taken at East Anstey, in April 1963, with no SYP.)