Dapol to produce Hawksworth Q13 Inspection Saloon for Rails of Sheffield

AY Mod

• RMweb Premium

The 'Scotrail' livery will be the one for me I think or the plain blue and grey depending on what the text says in the bottom left. That being said, I'll probably wait until these are released to decide (or very encouraging high quality samples) and if I miss it so be it.

Seems fair compared to say Revolution's Caroline but would have been nice to have the 18 pin decoder thrown in for the price. I'm also surprised they aren't doing a sound fitted version considering the recent Autocoach announcement. A lot are preserved and well travelled, so a great addition to many layouts.

If anyone has the story of these in Scotland that would be appreciated.

• RMweb Gold

I can see why; it's a good choice, and quite pretty, to boot. I can visualise a 48xx (or pannier) tootling around the system. It's not normally for me; after all, it's about as rare as a Gibbons Blue Backside on the system. 

That said, it'll probably sell very well, and why not?  As a bit of a footnote, there is a ex-Western saloon on the Pontypool & Blaenavon railway.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, tomparryharry said:

it's about as rare as a Gibbons Blue Backside on the system. 

Rather like the six N type autotrailers of which there must be c2000 7mm models!

This has me thinking about curtains. I’m not very impressed by printed curtains which all look the same. Realistic curtains will all be folded slightly differently. I notice that these will be moulded, so should look 3D. That’s progress but I hope the curtains don’t all have identical folds.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

12 minutes ago, tomparryharry said:

I can see why; it's a good choice, and quite pretty, to boot. I can visualise a 48xx (or pannier) tootling around the system. It's not normally for me; after all, it's about as rare as a Gibbons Blue Backside on the system. 

That said, it'll probably sell very well, and why not?  As a bit of a footnote, there is a ex-Western saloon on the Pontypool & Blaenavon railway.

Usually something a bit bigger than a small tank engine for fuel purposes. Ivatt and BR Standard 2MT 2-6-0s seemed popular in BR days. Possibly due to the tender cab when running in reverse.

One behind a Collett Goods here.

http://steammemories.blogspot.com/2014/12/western-region-w-80974-w-inspection.html

Jason

Edited by Steamport Southport
  • Like 2

Already seeing complaints about price on social media 🤦

I was a bit taken a back at first myself but then looked at the price of the Rapido Dynamometer car and it is only £10 more. Plenty time to save up as they are at least a year off yet 

I think I will put in a preorder for the WR Choc & Cream version

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

Usually something a bit bigger than a small tank engine for fuel purposes. Ivatt and BR Standard 2MT 2-6-0s seemed popular in BR days. Possibly due to the tender cab when running in reverse.

http://steammemories.blogspot.com/2014/12/western-region-w-80974-w-inspection.html

Jason

Can also use a Standard 4 4-6-0 if that floats your boat.

Engineer's Inspection at Aberystwyth, Jan/Feb 1965

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Steamport Southport said:

Jason

It depends on where the loco is going, Jason. The water stops dictate what loco is used, as you probably know. 

• RMweb Gold

Had a day out with the Newport saloon in the 70s, great fun, using a 37.  Traincrew were included in the catering, by the saloon’s own steward.  Braised liver in a red wine and mushroom sauce with colcannon spuds and a lemon sorbet for afters, washed down by a bottle of IPA, all silver service on bone china willow pattern of course; not bad at all!  And I got a chance to play with the autotrailer-type retractable steps…

A sensible choice, exhibition layouts will feature them as standard issue, the collectors will be happy, and I can see them being used as mantlepiece ornaments as well.  A coach too far for me, but Dap and Rails should do well out of them.  Liking the open sliding ventilators, nice touch. 

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, SteamingWales said:

Already seeing complaints about price on social media 🤦

I was a bit taken a back at first myself but then looked at the price of the Rapido Dynamometer car and it is only £10 more. Plenty time to save up as they are at least a year off yet 

I think I will put in a preorder for the WR Choc & Cream version

Savvy move by Rails (who know what sells) and Dapol (who don’t have to guess the size of the potential market). I imagine the production run will be relatively small hence the profit is in premium pricing for a high quality niche product.  If they sell out on preorder Rails will already have the intel to inform a possible second run. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
48 minutes ago, E100 said:

The 'Scotrail' livery will be the one for me I think or the plain blue and grey depending on what the text says in the bottom left. That being said, I'll probably wait until these are released to decide (or very encouraging high quality samples) and if I miss it so be it.

Seems fair compared to say Revolution's Caroline but would have been nice to have the 18 pin decoder thrown in for the price. I'm also surprised they aren't doing a sound fitted version considering the recent Autocoach announcement. A lot are preserved and well travelled, so a great addition to many layouts.

If anyone has the story of these in Scotland that would be appreciated.

The blue grey text is just readable in the rails website image.

Screenshot_20230601-121951_SamsungInternet.jpg.d3f2bd3281fcc882f2f1915d091e58ac.jpg

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, AY Mod said:

New model launched exclusively via retailer, produced by Dapol’s premium Black Label brand.

Q13 Inspection Saloon Flyer A4.jpg

Rails of Sheffield has revealed plans for new models of the GWR Q13 Inspection Saloon in OO gauge (1:76 scale). Available to pre-order now with a £20 deposit, the first samples are "due soon", with decorated samples due in November. Delivery of models is expected in June, 2024, priced at £149.95 each.

Six liveries are to be produced initially:

BR WR Chocolate & Cream, Double Lined - W 80943

BR WR Chocolate & Cream, SYP - W 80976 W

BR Blue & Grey, Full Yellow End - ADW 80970

BR Executive - DW 80975

BR Scotrail - DW 80975

GWR Chocolate & Cream, Twin Cities Crest - 80972

Deco Artwork (1).jpg

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

1 hour ago, darrel said:

Gwr inspection saloon oh well nothing  I need whats that scotrail livery, count me in. 

Nothing like an announcement like this to stifle a kit build!!IMG_0253.jpeg.d5bf72a34d98200e8b0f4c059b51afc1.jpegIMG_0206.jpeg.f139da1490ecfe72369e7328bff97e09.jpegIMG_0259.jpeg.fb877cbed6f946433541429ff2f5c47d.jpeg

Mark.

Edited by Mark
  • Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2
  • Friendly/supportive 4

1 hour ago, 7802 said:

Makes sense, just bought a kit for one from eBay a couple of months back. Oh well will save some effort.

Actually that reminds me I've got a kit for one I'm store that has just been drastically reduced in value. I'd better get it on eBay!

• RMweb Gold

Hello everyone

Many congratulations to Dapol and Rails on this announcement!

The vehicle has been consistently Middle or High Polling in The 00 Wishlist Poll over the years.

We wish Dapol and Rails every success with the project.

Brian (on behalf of The 00 Poll Team)

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

43 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

What's the source of that kit?

There's a few elements that I like that might be useful for other projects such as bogies and underframe.

Jason

Westward kit. Home made roof, ABS bogies, additional details on the sides and scratch built truss rods.

Mark

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

I can just about justify one on the basis I have a 94xx and venerable Dapol County that dont quite fit my late 30s/early 40s time period either. I was hoping for the whitewash car or GWR Dynamometer car but very happy with this. Now where is that wishlist gone? - Aberdare, 1101 class dock tank, Toplights, Super Saloons......