Dapol to produce Hawksworth Q13 Inspection Saloon for Rails of Sheffield

AY Mod

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, ndg910 said:

I can just about justify one on the basis I have a 94xx and venerable Dapol County that dont quite fit my late 30s/early 40s time period either. I was hoping for the whitewash car or GWR Dynamometer car but very happy with this. Now where is that wishlist gone? - Aberdare, 1101 class dock tank, Toplights, Super Saloons......

Well, the toplights are 25% of your list, so that's not bad. 

The poor old Aberdares  are a real niche, after all, there was only 80 of them ...Meanwhile, on another unrelated page, Flying Scotsman is due another release. After all, it's been 6 weeks, Y'know!

• Funny 2

3 minutes ago, SteamingWales said:

Maybe a stupid question but how were these propelled? 

Not in terms of motive power but were they pulled behind the locomotive or were they pushed "autocoach" style (but without the linkage)

They're basically just the same as standard hauled stock.

Must admit I have a soft spot for inspection saloons and this does promise to be a real stunner, but it's in the wrong livery for me and anyway how many do you need if your layout is rather smaller than the whole of the BR network?  I passed on Caroline too, though that also seemed very attractive.  So I'll be sticking with my maroon LMS one which you can still pick up at half the price,

13 minutes ago, SteamingWales said:

Not in terms of motive power but were they pulled behind the locomotive or were they pushed "autocoach" style (but without the linkage)

The LMS ones were defintely propelled or hauled depending on the working.

As Dapol  are creating the model with a colour changing (direction linked) light on the one end, it would appear the GWR ones were also used in a similar manner

• Agree 2

I see people have posted photos of a single coach and engine. 

Is this how these coaches were usually used or could they be added to any passing scheduled train?

Edited by rovex
Sense check

23 minutes ago, rovex said:

Is this how these coaches were usually used or could they be added to any passing scheduled train?

Usually only in preservation I'm afraid, although some might know of incidences where they were added to trains.

They were used for inspecting lines or visits from those very high up similar to a Directors Car was.

The NYMR one is often used with the Pullmans. Far platform here.

2019-07-05(6).png.77b11566f612102de986d95ec4ebcf88.png

Jason

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, SteamingWales said:

Propelled or pulled.

Didn't really matter as they didn't carry passengers, just staff.

Jason

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, rovex said:

I believe that they may have sometimes been added to a service passenger train to reach their destination and save the trouble of a bespoke stock movement, but when the business of doing their job came about, they would have been used as single car trains 

• Thanks 1

Few nice shots on colour rail. Including one at Goodrington in 1961 behind a pannier (ref 313337). Which gives me cause to order one for a planned layout of somewhere on the Torbay branch around that period. 

11 hours ago, darrel said:

Gwr inspection saloon oh well nothing  I need whats that scotrail livery, count me in. 

I'm not convinced. The well known ScotRail liveried inspection saloon was DM45020 which is an LMS built example that runs on B4 bogies. This GWR one didn't get a paint job until 1994 and I have not seen any pictures of it in Scotland. Have only looked in the past hour, so I'm willing to be proved wrong. I'll stick with the LMS one

Neil.

• RMweb Gold

The coaches were hauled or propelled as required; my 70s day out with the Newport saloon ran over the Vale of Glamorgan route as the Civil Engineers wanted to inspect Porthkerry Tunnel and Porthkerry Viaduct.  The loco hauled the coach, at about 10mph through/over the relevant sections, and the return working from Bridgend was with the coach being propelled, via the SWML.  We ran into the old VoG bay at Bridgend for the reversal, only time I ever worked in there, and I was required to sit in the leading seats on the up journey to keep a lookout and operate the horn when needed, powered by the loco air supply; it would have been the bell in earlier times.  

Some inspections required the coach to be propelled, but that was not the case on this occasion.  From a modelling perspective you can haul or propel as the fancy takes you.  Motive power varied, usually 37s in South Wales diesel era, but for steam era just about anything you want so long as it had vacuum brakes.  The coaches did not have auto-linkage and did not rely on auto-fitted motive power.  Empty stock movements were attached to parcels workings, but would usually only take place when the coach was being delivered to or from it’s allocated location.  The Newport saloon was based at Gordon Road Sidings, up side of High Street Station, Cardiff end, presumably a hangover from the days when Newport was the divisional headquarters.  

• Like 1

17 hours ago, No Decorum said:

This has me thinking about curtains. I’m not very impressed by printed curtains which all look the same. Realistic curtains will all be folded slightly differently. I notice that these will be moulded, so should look 3D. That’s progress but I hope the curtains don’t all have identical folds.

Funny you mention curtains.  I went to Curzon St in Birmingham for my TOPS cardless training and that was in one of these - I think it was DW80969 and am pretty sure it was allover blue with bright orange curtains..  One for a second or third run of these I think, and one I will hold out for.    

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, zoomer1979 said:

I'm not convinced. The well known ScotRail liveried inspection saloon was DM45020 which is an LMS built example that runs on B4 bogies. This GWR one didn't get a paint job until 1994 and I have not seen any pictures of it in Scotland. Have only looked in the past hour, so I'm willing to be proved wrong. I'll stick with the LMS one

Neil.

80975 did see use in Scotland in the early 1990s. One of the photos I was given for the artwork shows the saloon behind InterCity Mainline liveried 37430 at Crianlarich in 1992.

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

So how many were really expecting that then ?

I think I was looking at one of these yesterday, parked at Dawlish Warren, in a holiday park, next to the station, amongst 5 mk1’s.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1

Here's 37430 at Oban in August 1992. It has some kind of saloon behind it which I assume is the "BR ScotRail" one Dapol are doing.

It's very difficult to say from old photographs and the artwork but the blue stripe looks more like BR Blue to me rather than the lighter ScotRail blue used on most of their other stock at the time. Could this be why it looks a bit off/fake? I seem to remember some early ScotRail livery stock using BR Blue instead of the later, lighter shade. Could this be a similar situation, depending on when it was repainted?

Screenshot_20230602-0910442.png.cd9de22b4351969fb042dfe95ea1a146.png

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

There is a photo of 80976 with SYP, the livery being made, on the 'Taunton Trains' website (being towed by a Hymek). 

https://www.tauntontrains.co.uk/photos/gallery/class35/4

The date is April 1966. I don't know when the SYPs were applied or how long they lasted. I know of photos of unidentified Inspection saloons at East Anstey in April 1963, and Bideford in September 1964 which have yet to receive a SYP. 

I suspect a version in WR chocolate and cream without SYP (other than the 'as built' version also being made) would have covered a longer operational time span in the 1950s-early 1960s. But that hasn't deterred my preorder!  

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Pteremy said:

There is a photo of 80976 with SYP, the livery being made, on the 'Taunton Trains' website (being towed by a Hymek). 

https://www.tauntontrains.co.uk/photos/gallery/class35/4

The date is April 1966. I don't know when the SYPs were applied or how long they lasted. I know of photos of unidentified Inspection saloons at East Anstey in April 1963, and Bideford in September 1964 which have yet to receive a SYP. 

I suspect a version in WR chocolate and cream without SYP (other than the 'as built' version also being made) would have covered a longer operational time span in the 1950s-early 1960s. But that hasn't deterred my preorder!  

There's some photos on Flickr of it in Guide Bridge in Manchester in the same livery.  One of which is from 1978. 

https://www.flickr.com/photos/geoffsimages/13132502693

https://www.flickr.com/photos/86235980@N00/2257993757/

• Thanks 1