Rails of Sheffield/Locomotion Models - Railway Icons - Bachmann Class 41 HST prototype

AY Mod

14 minutes ago, Hairy Bear Digital said:

The cab controls were never wired up in the van end.

So shunting only from the forward cab.

OK, so in terms of the model it will definitely be a case of what to stick at the other end (with a similar gear ratio).

If only Hornby were to release another 'dummy' Class 43 'DVT' with their revised tooling

• RMweb Gold
On 28/11/2023 at 00:09, letterspider said:

Fingers crossed there will be strong sales and that will encourage Locomotion to produce a twin pack...

Rather a single pack with the other end so as not to wind up those who have bought one?

Roy

Edited by Roy Langridge
  • Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, woodenhead said:

Or just buy two and renumber one - surely the HST prototypes were both the same.

For the life of me I can’t recall what, but I recall that they were not identical, at least not towards the end. 

Edit - the radiator grills were very different. 

Roy

Edited by Roy Langridge

Although the grills are in at same location - It's the type of grill - small slats / big slats - these things matter to people - the Accurascale Class 37 thread is a case in point.

Photo of the other sides for comparison

https://twitter.com/russjedwards/status/1245979465441779712/photo/1

Edited by Southernman46

Joking aside - Looking at the two power cars unless I'm missing something it is just the two differing grill layouts that are the difference - it can't be too difficult for the a manufacturer to replicate these (mould slides ?) 

Edited by Southernman46

13 minutes ago, Southernman46 said:

Joking aside - Looking at the two power cars unless I'm missing something it is just the two differing grill layouts that are the difference - it can't be too difficult for the a manufacturer to replicate these (mould slides ?) 

it might be easy if that was catered for when the tools were created. Maybe less so if not.

32 minutes ago, Southernman46 said:

I would have thought so, I imagine the grille is a separate moulded insert, they are on other models

A couple of the cantrail grilles on both sides of 41002/W43001 were swapped out for production-design slats too at some point.

In APT testing days, the headlight position varied between the two power cars, with 43000 having one mounted right-of-centre, and 43001 left-of-centre, though it looks like this was later superseded by a fully central unit in place of the middle marker light on 43000.

• 2 months later...

Its amazing how even test trains that are supposed to look identical, had little variations to each of them.

This is of course a stark contrast to many Japanese test trains, where the end cars are purposely designed differently to test two concepts at the same time.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 26/11/2023 at 10:34, G-BOAF said:

OK, so in terms of the model it will definitely be a case of what to stick at the other end (with a similar gear ratio).

If only Hornby were to release another 'dummy' Class 43 'DVT' with their revised tooling

Kernow have a few Intercity exec 43 DVT (43013) going for £50 right now. I just got one to cover the class 89, but I'll also use her as the opposite end of the train for this loco too. (I know in preservation the HST set was a far more recent livery, but I don't do trains beyond year 2000).