Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Humbrol enamel paint - the future

I apologise if this has been covered before but a search has not produced an answer. I am having difficulty in finding a local modelling shop that still stocks small tinlets of certain colours of Humbrol enamel paint . I have been given conflicting information ranging from Humbrol are reducing the colour range, to Humbrol are discontinuing  enamel paint in favour for acrylic. Is this just ill informed information from shops who are failing to maintain stock levels, or is there any truth in it?

Are Hobbycraft not stocking the Revell enamels anymore?  They were in my opinion much better quality enamels in recent years as the quality of Humbrol paint seemed to be in decline.  This problem is also reflected in the full size heritage railway world where one of the very long extablished suppliers seems to be having quality problems.  I'm assuming some 'traditional' ingredients have been replaced, (not lead, that went many years ago, last sanctioned for use painting glasshouses).

Tony Comber

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

17 minutes ago, Northwich said:

I apologise if this has been covered before but a search has not produced an answer. I am having difficulty in finding a local modelling shop that still stocks small tinlets of certain colours of Humbrol enamel paint . I have been given conflicting information ranging from Humbrol are reducing the colour range, to Humbrol are discontinuing  enamel paint in favour for acrylic. Is this just ill informed information from shops who are failing to maintain stock levels, or is there any truth in it?

A bit of both I would think. They were struggling to supply stocks even before all the mess that occurred a couple of years ago. 

Most now seem to be back in stock in Hattons.

https://www.hattons.co.uk/stocklist/1000546/1000594/1000780/0/humbrol_any_or_multiple_scales_paint_enamel/prodlist

As for poor quality, not had a problem myself and I have been stocking up on them whilst they are available, particularly the military colours. For the price I think it's worth the risk. It's only a couple of pounds so if I do get a dud one it's not a big deal.

Jason

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I’ve had several poor quality Humbrol paints recently and wondered if my airbrush was defective. I switched to Phoenix paints and had no problem at all. Postage is expensive but it’s worth it when I know the quality will be consistent.

• RMweb Gold

Humbrol enamels have become too unreliable for me ,particularly for brush work.

Revell products remain top quality and for me are the go to alternative.

Although for Model Railway Modelling I would major on Railmatch and Precision enamels as their quality remains constant for airbrush work.

I`m currently moving away from enamels in favour of airbrushing with acrylics, mainly because of the quicker drying time together with the improved quality of todays acrylic products. I`ve learnt about alchohol acrylics , water based, and lacquer based products. Also differing acrylic thinners that speed up  drying time, slow down drying time ( to improve paint self levelling qualities when airbrushing satin and gloss loco finishes) as well as the benefits of being able to airbrush at lower air pressures.

Then there are top quality airbrushing surface primers , and airbrush cleaning products other than tap water.

So far, my choice of Acrylics are:-

Lifecolor ( particularly their modelling paint sets)

Tamiya

Railmatch ( although some of their GWR livery colours are a bit odd)

Mr Hobby  primers, 500, 1000, 1200 grade finishes... thinned with Mr Hobby self levelling thinner ( these are Lacquer finshes )

In my opinion, unless you are experienced with a paint brush and thinners, none are particularly good with brush painting ( except for weathering)

20230507_170131(2).jpg.841775cea902c6d38c8618181548c622.jpg

Cheers

JT

Edited by ROSSPOP
corrections and additions
  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 2

For me, I prefer Acrylics mostly because of the reasons listed above.  For airbrushing add a few drops of paint retarder, I have some from Tamiya and Vallejo, to stop the paint from drying in the nozzle.  I also have a considerable collection of Humbrol enamels which are decades old now but mostly still viable.

I would add that Humbrol acrylics are also good.  I haven't seen Humbrol enamels for quite some time.  The proprietor of the last actual model shop in Montreal told me that only stockists of Hornby could get Humbrol.  Doesn't make any sense but there you are.  That shop shut down a couple of years ago.  I can get most of my modelling supplies from an online shop in Toronto and they are really good.

For authentic (as far as I know) Humbrol acrylic British railway colours, there is an online shop here specializing in British that is also quite good.

John

• Informative/Useful 1

13 minutes ago, brossard said:

For me, I prefer Acrylics mostly because of the reasons listed above.  For airbrushing add a few drops of paint retarder, I have some from Tamiya and Vallejo, to stop the paint from drying in the nozzle.  I also have a considerable collection of Humbrol enamels which are decades old now but mostly still viable.

I would add that Humbrol acrylics are also good.  I haven't seen Humbrol enamels for quite some time.  The proprietor of the last actual model shop in Montreal told me that only stockists of Hornby could get Humbrol.  Doesn't make any sense but there you are.  That shop shut down a couple of years ago.  I can get most of my modelling supplies from an online shop in Toronto and they are really good.

For authentic (as far as I know) Humbrol acrylic British railway colours, there is an online shop here specializing in British that is also quite good.

John

Sunward Hobbies in Toronto carry a full line of Humbrol enamels (and no Hornby!).

As far as I know Humbrol railway acrylics have been discontinued and will only be available while stocks last.

Cheers,

Steve

1 hour ago, Retro_man said:

Sunward Hobbies in Toronto carry a full line of Humbrol enamels (and no Hornby!).

As far as I know Humbrol railway acrylics have been discontinued and will only be available while stocks last.

Cheers,

Steve

Thanks Steve.  I've been using Sunward quite a bit lately, stocking up on Tamiya as well as some Vallejo.  Shame about Humbrol acrylics.  I still have a fair bit left.  Must investigate Sunwards Humbrols.  I daresay they won't have British railway colours.

Nigel, at British Model Trains is a good source although he doesn't do 0 gauge so that's limiting for me.

I was in my local art supply store a week or so ago.  I like to get good quality card for my buildings.  A also wanted to get some acrylic paint paste to experiment with and found a travel set that fits the bill.

I noticed while I was there that they have a small section of Revell plastic kits and paint.  I didn't look all that closely.  I asked the girl at the checkout if they had thought of getting Vallejo paints - I got a blank look, ah well.

John

Edited by brossard
  • Like 1

Thanks for all the advice. Despite all the comparisons, I actually prefer Humbrol to Revel for brushing. I have ordered several tins from Cheltenham Models, along with some other items, which at £4 delivery makes it cheaper than a trip to my nearest model shop.

From talking to my local model shops, it appears that it is not only Humbrol that seems to have supply issues. Several Tamiya colours have been difficult to find, not only at local shops, but larger chains like Antics, or even from eBay or Amazon.

• RMweb Premium
17 minutes ago, JZ said:

From talking to my local model shops, it appears that it is not only Humbrol that seems to have supply issues. 

Is that Signals in MSN @JZ ? 

Do Rose Crafts sell them by any chance, I haven't been 'down Norton' for a while tbh?

15 minutes ago, Tim Dubya said:

Is that Signals in MSN @JZ ? 

Do Rose Crafts sell them by any chance, I haven't been 'down Norton' for a while tbh?

It is Signals, but I get the same response from Frome Model Centre and Antics in both Cardiff and Gloucester. I hadn't thought of trying Rose crafts.

• Like 1

On 14/07/2023 at 11:03, Northwich said:

We have no problem now with getting stocks of Humbrol enamels. The range has been reduced and 16 colours have gone from the range. The acrylic range has increased.

Our biggest problem is that Royal Mail won't allow enamels to be posted.

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, Widnes Model Centre said:

We have no problem now with getting stocks of Humbrol enamels. The range has been reduced and 16 colours have gone from the range. The acrylic range has increased.

Our biggest problem is that Royal Mail won't allow enamels to be posted.

Interesting statement, however some suppliers of model paints seem to send using Royal Mail.

RM attempted a delivery to me of Tamiya Textured Paint but had to leave a red card and will deliver again on Monday............

JT

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, ROSSPOP said:

Interesting statement, however some suppliers of model paints seem to send using Royal Mail.

RM attempted a delivery to me of Tamiya Textured Paint but had to leave a red card and will deliver again on Monday............

JT

Tamiya Textured paint is acrylic which are accepted by Royal Mail.

Solvent-based paints, wood varnishes and enamels

International - Not allowed in the mail

UK - Not allowed in the mail

A courier has to be used for enamels and not all the couriers will take enamel paints. Those that do have differing acceptance.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Widnes Model Centre said:

Tamiya Textured paint is acrylic which are accepted by Royal Mail.

Solvent-based paints, wood varnishes and enamels

International - Not allowed in the mail

UK - Not allowed in the mail

A courier has to be used for enamels and not all the couriers will take enamel paints. Those that do have differing acceptance.

I had a bottle of IPA delivered by Royal Mail in a padded bag a a couple of years back.  I'm guessing that the sender "forgot" that they weren't supposed to use RM for such things.  Once in the bag, so long as it doesn't leak, I suspect that RM wouldn't be any the wiser.  That of course does not make it right.

Adrian

• Agree 2

10 minutes ago, melmerby said:

Hornby seem to have a pretty good range of Humbrol enamels but the railcolours seems to have vanished.

They lost the "Authentic Railway Colours" branding years ago.

Some are in the main range, some even with the same number such as 103 Cream. That and 99 Chocolate (102) and number 3 Brunswick Green (104) match the old Railway Colours paints.

I've not tested the Crimson yet.

https://robdebie.home.xs4all.nl/models/authentics.htm

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, figworthy said:

I had a bottle of IPA delivered by Royal Mail in a padded bag a a couple of years back.  I'm guessing that the sender "forgot" that they weren't supposed to use RM for such things.  Once in the bag, so long as it doesn't leak, I suspect that RM wouldn't be any the wiser.  That of course does not make it right.

Adrian

A bloke I used to work with here in Oz, was telling me that he sent his sister some home made fireworks, which apparently arrived and were set off normally.

Curious, I asked him how he sent them - Australia Post he said.

Told him that they would have cleared the mail centre and called the bomb squad if they'd known! He looked at me as if I was the idiot and could see nothing wrong.

So you see, that is why restrictions are in place, because some fool sent dangerous goods.

• Like 1

Canada Post will carry paint and glue, at least in modeller quantities.

My opinion is that Royal Mail did not think their policy through and were perhaps thinking more of commercial quantities of paint.  The tiny amounts of paint we modellers use, whether acrylic or enamel, don't pose a hazard and should be exempted.

Fireworks on the other hand, yeah that's reckless.

John

• Agree 1

On 14/07/2023 at 12:44, ROSSPOP said:

Humbrol enamels have become too unreliable for me ,particularly for brush work.

Revell products remain top quality and for me are the go to alternative.

Although for Model Railway Modelling I would major on Railmatch and Precision enamels as their quality remains constant for airbrush work.

I`m currently moving away from enamels in favour of airbrushing with acrylics, mainly because of the quicker drying time together with the improved quality of todays acrylic products. I`ve learnt about alchohol acrylics , water based, and lacquer based products. Also differing acrylic thinners that speed up  drying time, slow down drying time ( to improve paint self levelling qualities when airbrushing satin and gloss loco finishes) as well as the benefits of being able to airbrush at lower air pressures.

Then there are top quality airbrushing surface primers , and airbrush cleaning products other than tap water.

So far, my choice of Acrylics are:-

Lifecolor ( particularly their modelling paint sets)

Tamiya

Railmatch ( although some of their GWR livery colours are a bit odd)

Mr Hobby  primers, 500, 1000, 1200 grade finishes... thinned with Mr Hobby self levelling thinner ( these are Lacquer finshes )

In my opinion, unless you are experienced with a paint brush and thinners, none are particularly good with brush painting ( except for weathering)

20230507_170131(2).jpg.841775cea902c6d38c8618181548c622.jpg

Cheers

JT

I've found it harder to get Humbrol paints over the last few years and now have a stock of various enamels and acrylics. How do you get on extending the drying time of acrylics when weathering? 

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, sb67 said:

I've found it harder to get Humbrol paints over the last few years and now have a stock of various enamels and acrylics. How do you get on extending the drying time of acrylics when weathering? 

`Im experimenting with weathering at the moment. So far ,when weathering by brushwork I  thin the acrylics with their own brand of thinners rather than water which gives me enough time to blend the paint....... others seem to use Isopropyl alchohol to remove excess paint.....

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1