Graham Farish Autumn 2023 announcements

AY Mod

And sound fitted DC trainsets too!

It always surprises me when I put my N locos on the rolling road under DC power and they burst into life with sounds - way more so than on DCC where they are mainly crawling but on the rolling road they are going quite fast.

This is not just on the Bachmann chips, all my Zimos do the same, it really shows how far chip technology has come.

2 minutes ago, Ed-farms said:

I somehow can't see Farish doing a peak unless they already had it in the pipline before Rapido announced one, but as long as we get a good peak model I am happy

I do wonder, it's been very quiet from Farish on the Peak front, and Rapido are being very cautious with their approach too.  I'm up for a Rapido 44 but if someone else comes along with a 45 or 46 then I'll spend on that too.

I also half expected a new 1st gen DMU to appear, but alas no and I will remain with a gap on a cassette for another three car whilst RevolutioN produce the 120.

More than I expected this quarter, given that we had a VERY big batch of nice coaches last quarter.  While there isn't much I would like this time round, I might be tempted by a maroon Thompson or two (they did sometimes get onto the Southern and Western regions) - and with some of the coaches from last quarter starting to come out, I need some time to get all of those ones first!

I am not surprised the ex NGS Thompson BG is now in the Farish range proper - but I already have two NGS ones, even though I am not a member of the NGS (they turn up on eBay quite often, so I was able to get a lined maroon one and a blue one).

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Pleasantly surprised — especially the maroon Thompson coaches.

I can't help wondering if the train sets are a reaction to Hornby’s TT:120 adventures — there haven't been any new train sets from any branch of the Bachmann empire for a few years now.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, Ed-farms said:

I was as well, but am glad they didn't just yet. I have a large order of Mk1's and Mk2F's in so I might have been in deep trouble if Mk2's landed as well 😆

That's the eternal dichotomy of many modellers including myself  "Why haven't they announced something that I can't afford to buy anyway?"

• Funny 3

The 158s are very welcome - the GWR one looks particularly superb (Although whether it is good value is a moot point when the excellent but very niche Arnold FS Aln 668 has just come out at £212... and a lot of Farish 150s are still stuck to the shelves.)

I would also welcome more news on the Peak as well as the Virgin 47 - the latter seems to have been in the catalogue forever.

Edited by fezza

The sound fitted 158 is interesting. Wondering though wether to go for one or just fit it myself using one of the well known DCC sound suppliers. Don't want to miss out on having the model waiting to see how it's sounds. Most stuff I have bought lately (RR mk2s) sold out so fast that pre ordering is the last chance saloon for many models these days. Especially in N were we seem under served.

16 hours ago, fezza said:

The 158s are very welcome - the GWR one looks particularly superb (Although whether it is good value is a moot point when the excellent but very niche Arnold FS Aln 668 has just come out at £212... and a lot of Farish 150s are still stuck to the shelves.)

I would also welcome more news on the Peak as well as the Virgin 47 - the latter seems to have been in the catalogue forever.

Personally whilst I like the look of the 150 model they have not done one with sound that appeals to my area/era of operations so am unlikely at present to buy one. The regional railways 158 however is perfect for me so at least one will be bought. Does this beg the question its not the models but the choice of liveries they apply that causes models to sit around? Some of the  Revised RTC Mk2 TSO's are still in stock but you cannot get a blue and grey TSO. How long before we buy them and an airbrush?

The Virgin 47 is down for Nov/Dec at present so should be in the Winter 2023 announcment. The questions are will it be sound fitted after they dropped that to play catch up and what other liveries will we see? Intercity? Perhaps another batch of 47's from the original body will pear on the (hopeful) sound chassis

17 hours ago, D9020 Nimbus said:

I can't help wondering if the train sets are a reaction to Hornby’s TT:120 adventures — there haven't been any new train sets from any branch of the Bachmann empire for a few years now.

I did wonder if TT was responsible for this bumper N gauge full stop. Is "Little Johnny" and his parents going to their local shop to buy TT but found it not available and discovered N gauge instead? The announcements this year have seen a major swing towards N gauge.

• RMweb Gold

One of the most encouraging things about this announcement I think is the release of the 90 in already existing liveries.  Hoping this will lead to more locos of the same class being available in similar liveries - allowing greater variation in fleets without the need for renumbering etc

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ed-farms said:

I did wonder if TT was responsible for this bumper N gauge full stop. Is "Little Johnny" and his parents going to their local shop to buy TT but found it not available and discovered N gauge instead? The announcements this year have seen a major swing towards N gauge.

Possibly, although it may just be queued production schedules. After a famine there is often a feast in N gauge. That can cause its own problems as I know I can't afford all the stuff at the same time.so sales may suffer.

I think TT is dead in the water. There is very little available, you can't see it in shops and it runs poorly compared to 00 and N. Hornby have spilt it very badly.

4 minutes ago, fezza said:

Possibly, although it may just be queued production schedules. After a famine there is often a feast in N gauge. That can cause its own problems as I know I can't afford all the stuff at the same time.so sales may suffer.

I think TT is dead in the water. There is very little available, you can't see it in shops and it runs poorly compared to 00 and N. Hornby have spilt it very badly.

You can now see TT120 in model shops, does it run that bad, I've not seen reports as such?

I doubt sales will suffer, there will be those who can buy now and if there is too much then others will be able to buy later and eventually will come the inevitable discounts down the line - just like OO.

• RMweb Gold

You can see TT in *some* model shops….

Not wishing to bring the TT discussion in to this thread, but it’s a little bit apples & oranges. N Gauge is a well established scale with multiple manufacturers and wide support from many smaller suppliers and societies. At the moment TT is essentially a single company enterprise with one or two others dabbling around the edges, and from what I understand the bulk of TT sales so far have been in Europe rather than the UK. 

With the above in mind I’m skeptical that TT has had any baring on Bachmann deciding to produce trainsets in the Farish range, especially since they have been a feature of it for many years already, or that it has any link to the number of new Farish items now coming through, many of which will have been in the production pipeline since well before Hornby launched TT120. 

Tom. 

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, TomE said:

With the above in mind I’m sceptical that TT has had any baring on Bachmann deciding to produce trainsets in the Farish range, especially since they have been a feature of it for many years already, or that it has any link to the number of new Farish items now coming through, many of which will have been in the production pipeline since well before Hornby launched TT120. 

Tom. 

Agreed.  I don't think Bachman nor Kader are nimble enough to react so quickly to Hornby's TT announcements.  This just feels like Bachman catching up with previous announcements after a very lean spell and, with the 90, the first of the new models that are being developed quietly in line with their announcement philosophy coming through.

I've been quite critical of Bachman's Farish output in recent times, questioning whether they actually want to be in N gauge.  I was wrong, and I don't mind eating humble pie in that case.  But I don't think it's anything to do with TT.

Best

Scott.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, TomE said:

You can see TT in *some* model shops….

Not wishing to bring the TT discussion in to this thread, but it’s a little bit apples & oranges. N Gauge is a well established scale with multiple manufacturers and wide support from many smaller suppliers and societies. At the moment TT is essentially a single company enterprise with one or two others dabbling around the edges, and from what I understand the bulk of TT sales so far have been in Europe rather than the UK. 

With the above in mind I’m skeptical that TT has had any baring on Bachmann deciding to produce trainsets in the Farish range, especially since they have been a feature of it for many years already, or that it has any link to the number of new Farish items now coming through, many of which will have been in the production pipeline since well before Hornby launched TT120. 

Tom. 

It's kind of odd the TT rush, railtec transfers which I use a lot these days do TT and 3mm but have much out of stock or not produced N gauge range. I guess Many N gauge folk don't renumber etc but with Magnification it's not much different to other scales...

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, JBM37404 said:

It's kind of odd the TT rush, railtec transfers which I use a lot these days do TT and 3mm but have much out of stock or not produced N gauge range. I guess Many N gauge folk don't renumber etc but with Magnification it's not much different to other scales...

I have trouble telling some of my locos apart, doesn't help when the numbers are only 1 different 47035/47435!!  Two blue 24s, have to put the strong glasses on, and I have two green 25s same again.  It's not even that I have two of the same loco, all different numbers, but reading them is difficult, so would I bother to alter the number absolutely not.

Maybe I should have modelled the large logo period!! 

Remember when InterCity starting putting minute numbers on it's 47s, 86s and 87s 🤣

• Funny 1

7 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

I have trouble telling some of my locos apart, doesn't help when the numbers are only 1 different 47035/47435!!  Two blue 24s, have to put the strong glasses on, and I have two green 25s same again.  It's not even that I have two of the same loco, all different numbers, but reading them is difficult, so would I bother to alter the number absolutely not.

Maybe I should have modelled the large logo period!! 

Remember when InterCity starting putting minute numbers on it's 47s, 86s and 87s 🤣

I guess some of the difficulty is with blue and the green eras there is less to tell locos apart and numbers are more difficult to read. Remember the small Intercity numbers period well not easy in the smaller scales.

Time will tell with TT but it needs other companies to make runs of stock to get it having a larger appeal.

The quality of N stuff now is that good I wouldn't jump a scale when I can run a doubled headed 12 coach train which fits in a passing loop. That's with sound fitted locos.

11 minutes ago, JBM37404 said:

Time will tell with TT but it needs other companies to make runs of stock to get it having a larger appeal.

TT is just something other people model for me, I am wedded to N for the main railway and OO for a small dabble.

Don't generally follow what's going on in TT, the 08 being released took me by surprise and then the big gap to anything else.

Mind the only things in N I am waiting on is my paid for class 128 in September and then the order book opening for the class 120 and the class 44.  But I am glad to see such a lot of items being delivered this year from Farish proving Bachmann is still engaged with N modelling.

Edited by woodenhead
context
  • Like 1

I don’t think Bachmann’s N gauge release plans have anything much to do with TT as I get the impression the famine then feast situation has been entirely due to internal issues. Partly there has been so much to catch up on in terms of previously announced items, and possibly it’s taken a while to produce a business case to support booking such big production slots for rereleases such as the coaches. 

N is becoming a crowded market though, so I don’t expect Bachmann to have huge N plans for every quarter. A very healthy time to model in N overall, I currently have 18 new items on pre order from various manufacturers! 

David 

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, bmthtrains - David said:

...I don’t expect Bachmann to have huge N plans for every quarter.

David 

Agreed.  I'd suggest one or else two completely new tooling projects per year would be realistic.  Hopefully that is accompanied with re-releases as per the Black 5s, Ballast Hoppers, etc.

These last two quarters have been particularly pleasing for the scale because along with the MK1 and Thomson coaches, Farish have released something to haul them (Black 5) at the same time.

Best

Scott.

One thing no-one has picked up on - the Black 5s are 6 pin DCC - i.e. a straight re-run.

The later Standard 5 and the N Mogul, which both first arrived as 6 pin DCC, have both been reworked with sound since first release, but the LMS Black 5 looks like a straight re-run.

2 hours ago, woodenhead said:

One thing no-one has picked up on - the Black 5s are 6 pin DCC - i.e. a straight re-run.

The later Standard 5 and the N Mogul, which both first arrived as 6 pin DCC, have both been reworked with sound since first release, but the LMS Black 5 looks like a straight re-run.

Actually I did pick it up, see my post at 10.25 yesterday  🙂

Edited by Roy L S
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, woodenhead said:

The standard and the N were both already loco drive so retooling for Next18 and speaker only needed changes to the tender.

Black 5 would be an entire retool, about the only thing they could reuse would the tender from the new 8F.

I'm a bit surprised at them doing another run of the 90's in the same liveries already when so many retailers are doing heavy discounts on the first batch.

Even more odd when you realise they've never done a second run of the new Castle, C Class or 8F.

Is the black 5 still tender drive?

Interesting choice with the N version of the Thanet Flyer. The 00 version was using much older tooling coaches in an incorrect livery. The N version has much newer tooling still in an incorrect livery. They could have gone for a BR black and either green or blood and custard coaches. In 00 they didn't sell extra coaches to expand the train. At least with a BR livery you have a chance to extend it or mix in some MK1's.