Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

EFE Rail - Autumn 2023 announcements inc LSWR 4-coach sets, LSWR vent van and N gauge J94

AY Mod

22 hours ago, Nick C said:

Both Oxford and Hornby versions were made in LSWR Adams livery - do you mean the later Drummond livery?

Preserved condition though. They both need modifications to be in genuine LSWR condition.

https://www.hattons.co.uk/98116/hornby_r3335_class_415_adams_radial_4_4_2t_488_in_lswr_green_as_preserved/stockdetail

https://www.hattons.co.uk/101899/oxford_rail_or76ar003_class_415_adams_radial_4_4_2t_488_in_lswr_green/stockdetail

I know some aren't bothered about it being 100% correct and others are.

Jason

Cool :)

There's a lovely A12 on eBay at the moment in southern livery. Judging by the bidding there's certainly a demand for a high spec model. Looks like someone did a lovely job on it. Not knocking the 00 works model, but a version from Bachmann or similar would be most welcome.

• Like 2

On 15/08/2023 at 10:40, wainwright1 said:

Or Urie livery ?

Thats  right.  The Drummond livery and chimneys started to appear on the class from 1901, whilst these coaches did not appear until 1907/8.  I bought a Oxford Rail version of No. 488 in the Adams livery with stovepipe chimney when they first appeared in the hope the some matching coaches may appear in the future.  Now I am waiting for the Genesis 6w LSWR coaches should be with us around the end of the year.  I have not seen any dates for these 4-coach sets but  i dont expect it to be long as for three of the coaches it is just a repaint job.  

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, GeoffBird said:

I have not seen any dates for these 4-coach sets but  i dont expect it to be long as for three of the coaches it is just a repaint job.  

The Bachmann website is a good place to look, according to which these have arrived: https://www.Bachmann.co.uk/product/category/866/lswr-cross-country-4-coach-pack-lswr-salmon-and-brown/e86011

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Skinnylinny said:

Looking forward to mine arriving - I already have the LSWR (Drummond) repaint of an Oxford Adams Radial, and an A12 (3D printed) ready and waiting!

20230523_184503.jpg.6e5f970ff72303a90deb66928ab150de.jpg

I'm sure I've said it before on your own thread, but that A12 looks amazing!

• Like 2
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

My retailer has stock of the LSWR  vent van so the model is hitting the shelves now. Photo courtesy of Kernow Rail/ Chris Nevard and Rails.

WEB230630EFEE87054_3.jpg.a241f03105589979dbb4bc723d0e8b26.jpg

IMG_9633_0a11d6ca-1a8b-4942-9ee6-689510c57447_900x.webp.3d34a5e5f535d41dd487b737f12cc07e.webp

IMG_9634_e1177f08-e730-4224-8e55-d0302ede25e5_900x.webp.87e59239e567246f6afd2b20025c789d.webp

Edited by gwrrob
photo credit
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

On 30/08/2023 at 15:46, gwrrob said:

My retailer has stock of the LSWR  vent van so the model is hitting the shelves now. Photo courtesy of Kernow Rail/ Chris Nevard.

Damn these look great!! Just typical when I'm set to go away for a week that these vans arrive!! Already told my supplier when he gets him to send them up!! Cannot wait :)

• RMweb Gold
On 30/08/2023 at 15:46, gwrrob said:

My retailer has stock of the LSWR  vent van so the model is hitting the shelves now. Photo courtesy of Kernow Rail/ Chris Nevard and Rails.

IMG_9633_0a11d6ca-1a8b-4942-9ee6-689510c57447_900x.webp.3d34a5e5f535d41dd487b737f12cc07e.webp

IMG_9634_e1177f08-e730-4224-8e55-d0302ede25e5_900x.webp.87e59239e567246f6afd2b20025c789d.webp

One of the underneath and some good weight to it in 40 grams.

DSCN9086.JPG.baadbf59c1c500d41f8d9163d78d0ab7.JPG

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

I've just received a pair of LSWR 10 ton vans (Dia 1410 in LSWR and Dia 1406 in BR). The rest being S&D or SR which are a bit outside my main domains.

First 2 photos show the pair. Last 2 next to Rapido GWR Iron Mink and SECR 10 ton type.

Most of my modern  made RTR vans have been in Bauxite, so good to get some greys in there...

LSWR_50.jpg

LSWR_52.jpg

LSWR_53.jpg

LSWR_54.jpg

Edited by JSpencer
  • Like 4

I’ve also received one of these new LSWR vans - the 1406 in post-36 SR livery - and I’m absolutely delighted with it. Indeed, I’d say it’s one of the very best wagons I’ve purchased, and I’ve been a reasonably heavy purchaser of the excellent wagons a number of manufacturers have treated us to recently. It very much matches the new standards set for wagons in recent years by the likes of Rapido and gets bonus points for a nice matt finish and having the front of the coupling bar set at a more realistic distance from the buffer faces. My example is also perfectly put together and despite all the excellent fine detail, feels sufficiently robust for regular layout use.

I very much look forward to post-36 SR versions of the 1410 and 1408 in due course! 

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Am I right in thinking that the bar across the lower part of the door is a separate fitting? And I’ve just noticed the two grab handles, one on the solebar, and the other at the bottom of the body. Amazing detail!

John S

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, it's-er said:

Am I right in thinking that the bar across the lower part of the door is a separate fitting? And I’ve just noticed the two grab handles, one on the solebar, and the other at the bottom of the body. Amazing detail!

John S

Yep, they all appear to be separate fittings to me, and well fitted on my example and others I’ve seen.

• RMweb Gold
17 hours ago, BenL said:

I’ve also received one of these new LSWR vans - the 1406 in post-36 SR livery - and I’m absolutely delighted with it. Indeed, I’d say it’s one of the very best wagons I’ve purchased, and I’ve been a reasonably heavy purchaser of the excellent wagons a number of manufacturers have treated us to recently. It very much matches the new standards set for wagons in recent years by the likes of Rapido and gets bonus points for a nice matt finish and having the front of the coupling bar set at a more realistic distance from the buffer faces. My example is also perfectly put together and despite all the excellent fine detail, feels sufficiently robust for regular layout use.

I very much look forward to post-36 SR versions of the 1410 and 1408 in due course! 

Thanks for the positive feedback Ben, I am glad that you like them.  Hopefully if they sell well other versions will follow, I have plenty of options in the tooling suite and that's before we get to liveries.

16 hours ago, it's-er said:

John S

John, yes the horizontal handrail across the sliding door is a separate moulded part, as it would not of been possible to replicate the correct shape with wire alone. 
The small grab handles are actually, separately applied,  horse hooks, hence the asymmetrical shape to allow the wagons to be shunted by horses with a hook on the end of a rope from the horse harness. 

Edited by Graham_Muz
  • Like 9

• RMweb Gold
18 minutes ago, Robin Brasher said:

I have just received my EFE cross country set and I am delighted to have a ready to run set of LSWR coaches. The shade used for LSWR coach salmon seems a bit pink to me.  I wonder if EFE has used LSWR building stone rather than coach salmon.

P1010691.JPG

Hi Robin, 

The LSWR salmon pink used is correct for the ex works colour taken from original references rather than the more orangey colour that it ages to (and has been used since by some paint manufacturers, and definitely not the accepted to be incorrect shade used by the NRM).

Edited by Graham_Muz
  • Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Premium
30 minutes ago, Graham_Muz said:

The LSWR salmon pink used is correct for the ex works colour taken from original references rather than the more orangey colour that it ages to 

Now there's a can of worms! How quickly did the pink discolour? Which shade is more appropriate for in-service condition? I suppose one solution would be to issue the models in several liveries, for those who want ex-works, mid-life, or due for repaint condition!

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

Now there's a can of worms! How quickly did the pink discolour? Which shade is more appropriate for in-service condition? I suppose one solution would be to issue the models in several liveries, for those who want ex-works, mid-life, or due for repaint condition!

Indeed the joys of colour perception, but as the models are issued unweathered every aspect of them not just one colour needs to be an ex works condition.

• Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Nile said:

Something I hadn't realised, until they arrived, was the two different bodies produced in this run. The difference is quite clear when they are put together.

MM185663.JPG.ba6a229a433cec565756d42a59ec5c50.JPG

Proper job!

Your left hand van is the original low roof Diagram 1410 built from 1895, those built at the start of 1912 were increased in height by 7" and were Diagram 1406 ( also produced in this batch) later that year the sliding door was replaced by a three part hinged door that also allowed the body to be wider and they become diagram 1408 as per your right hand van.  
The D1408 also had two roof styles, flush with sides  and overhanging and this is also included within the tooling suite. 

See what other differences you can spot... 

Edited by Graham_Muz
  • Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 1

6 hours ago, Graham_Muz said:

Indeed the joys of colour perception, but as the models are issued unweathered every aspect of them not just one colour needs to be an ex works condition.

Good point Graham. I am also thinking that with application of varnish coats the pink would darken slightly depending of course how many varnish coats it would get before a total repaint.

Cheers,

Chris

At the moment, I have the slightly incongruous sight of the LSWR set being hauled by the newly arrived 10800 diesel. Oddly enough, it doesn't actually look out of place to me, even though the loco and coaches are separated by around four decades.

20230915_153806.jpg.caebbdb7aa7dcd9104efe3b09b181b35.jpg

• Like 2