LNER/LMS 25t Machine Wagon LOWMAC in OO

RapidoCorbs

• RMweb Premium

Pre-order your LOWMAC here for £39.95:

https://rapidotrains.co.uk/lner-lms-25t-machine-wagon/

This humble LOWMAC design dates back to the Great Central ‘MAC N’ 20t implement truck. With a few revisions to the original concept the LNER upgraded the design in 1938 into the diagram 143 ‘MAC NV’ wagon, this improved the wagon’s carry weight to 22 tonnes. Pressures of the wartime era evidently called for an even greater load weight, so prior to production another batch of improvements were carried out. The design was refined by replacing the 12in by 6in main longitudinal sections with 14 in by 6in equivalents, this increased the load to 25t, and thus created the diagram 173 ‘MAC PV’ we know today.

929-Lowmacs-ALL-1.jpg.65b3f7c408b27ee4e27472570f827d76.jpg

Shildon Wagon Works received its first order for diagram 173 ‘MAC PV’ Implement Trucks in 1943, and by 1944 production was complete. The first batch of 60 wagons rolled out just in time to assist with the heavy freight traffic that was heading to the South Coast in preparation for the liberation of Europe. 30 wagons went to the LMS and the LNER retained 30 for themselves, however, in the last year of the war, and first year of peacetime, the LNER ordered a further two batches of 25, taking the Shildon built quota up to 110 vehicles.     

The 173 ‘MAC PV’ Implement Trucks were reclassified as LOWMAC EP. Having proven successful throughout its working life under the Big 4, British Railways decided to build even more of them – giving them the diagram number 2/242 in their number system. Passing the contract to P & W Maclellan in 1950, a further 38 vehicles were produced. Incredibly, the LOWMAC continued serving Britain’s railways as an engineering vehicle way into the 00’s.

The Rapido Trains UK design of this long-serving wagon will be the most detailed version of the LOWMAC to date, featuring a combination of die-cast metal and injection moulded plastic construction, brass bearings, moulded lashing rings, and a rather nice optional load that represents a set of 4 replacement wheels and their carriers. These wheelsets will feature scale axles and are ideal for scenic use if not required as a load.

Eleven versions will be produced that cover liveries from the original 1944 design to its most modern engineering guise, and everything in between.

The LNER/LMS 25t Implement Truck is due Q2 of 2024. The model is currently in tooling and we hope to have samples shortly.

929001.jpg.00b38ff4e70f406685a74e625284ec1c.jpg

Edited by RapidoCorbs
  • Like 15
  • Round of applause 1

45 minutes ago, RapidoCorbs said:

Pre-order your LOWMAC here for £39.95:

https://rapidotrains.co.uk/lner-lms-25t-machine-wagon/

This humble LOWMAC design dates back to the Great Central ‘MAC N’ 20t implement truck. With a few revisions to the original concept the LNER upgraded the design in 1938 into the diagram 143 ‘MAC NV’ wagon, this improved the wagon’s carry weight to 22 tonnes. Pressures of the wartime era evidently called for an even greater load weight, so prior to production another batch of improvements were carried out. The design was refined by replacing the 12in by 6in main longitudinal sections with 14 in by 6in equivalents, this increased the load to 25t, and thus created the diagram 173 ‘MAC PV’ we know today.

929-Lowmacs-ALL-1.jpg.65b3f7c408b27ee4e27472570f827d76.jpg

Shildon Wagon Works received its first order for diagram 173 ‘MAC PV’ Implement Trucks in 1943, and by 1944 production was complete. The first batch of 60 wagons rolled out just in time to assist with the heavy freight traffic that was heading to the South Coast in preparation for the liberation of Europe. 30 wagons went to the LMS and the LNER retained 30 for themselves, however, in the last year of the war, and first year of peacetime, the LNER ordered a further two batches of 25, taking the Shildon built quota up to 110 vehicles.     

The 173 ‘MAC PV’ Implement Trucks were reclassified as LOWMAC EP. Having proven successful throughout its working life under the Big 4, British Railways decided to build even more of them – giving them the diagram number 2/242 in their number system. Passing the contract to P & W Maclellan in 1950, a further 38 vehicles were produced. Incredibly, the LOWMAC continued serving Britain’s railways as an engineering vehicle way into the 00’s.

The Rapido Trains UK design of this long-serving wagon will be the most detailed version of the LOWMAC to date, featuring a combination of die-cast metal and injection moulded plastic construction, brass bearings, moulded lashing rings, and a rather nice optional load that represents a set of 4 replacement wheels and their carriers. These wheelsets will feature scale axles and are ideal for scenic use if not required as a load.

Eleven versions will be produced that cover liveries from the original 1944 design to its most modern engineering guise, and everything in between.

The LNER/LMS 25t Implement Truck is due Q2 of 2024. The model is currently in tooling and we hope to have samples shortly.

Very nice, but is this not the same prototype as the old Airfix/GMR/Hornby tooling?

I don't have my books to hand, but were the ones produced by or for the GWR to the same drawing?

Martin

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, MartinTrucks said:

I don't have my books to hand, but were the ones produced by or for the GWR to the same drawing?

Martin

The Loriot P? Very similar outwardly but lots of little differences such as axleboxes, buffers etc.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Many congratulations to Rapido on this announcement.👍

The Lowmac (as a broad description) has been creeping up the ranks of The 00 Wishlist Poll recently and was High Polling in 2022.

We wish Rapido every success with the project.

Brian (on behalf of The 00 Poll Team)

• Like 4

2 hours ago, MartinTrucks said:

Very nice, but is this not the same prototype as the old Airfix/GMR/Hornby tooling?

I believe so, because the side member at 5mm deep suggests that this model was based on the final 25T variant. (Take the Airfix GMR model, and a little filing of the underside of the frame members and addition of replacement flanges to produce an overall side member depth of 4mm yields a decent representation of the original 20T Mac N design. Addition of the two internal longitudinal frame members is optional...)

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

I'm intrigued that these lasted long enough to get EWS livery and even Network Rail! Does anyone know what EWS and NR used them for? I'm a sucker for EWS so that's probably going to be an order for me. 

(Photo from Flickr, click through for caption etc)

15/07/1997 - Warrington (Arpley), Cheshire.

Edited by nightstar.train
  • Like 2

Now these do look nice, and as I'm thoroughly tempted, I'm looking for an easy reason to justify one (or two)

One of my little projects is to model a decent NYMR goods rake, and there are 6 Machine Flats on their books according to the Railway Heritage Register, but I'm not sire if any of them would be easily achievable from the Rapido offering.

BR B 904152 Machinery Flat built 1960

Lowmac AB - ZXR

BR B 904551 Machinery Flat built 1952

Lowmac WP - XLV

BR B 905009 Machinery Flat built 1950

Lowmac WE - XLO

LNER 217315 Machinery Flat built 1939

Lowmac EO - XLV

BR B 905100 Machinery Flat built 1959

Lowmac WV - XLW

LNER 269004 Machinery Flat built 1945

Lowmac EO - XLV

I'm presuming the two LNER built one would be out, and probably the rest, but if anyone else could offer any advice as to whether any of these would be achievable with one of the Rapido models, I'd be most grateful!

Cheers

J

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, JaymzHatstand said:

I'm presuming the two LNER built one would be out, and probably the rest

The LNER EO are to a very different design with a lower floor and external vertical bracing on the main members, and the 1950 WE is a smaller 15T design. That much I am sure of... (The WE may be similar to the other long term Lowmac standby, the Airfix kit based on a GER 14T design.)

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

I can explain the presence of the Elephant motif on the BR Olive version ADM700703 with 1st hand knowledge. This particular vehicle did indeed belong to the MEs PS section based out of Horsham Yard and was used for a variety of things including the transportation of the ventilation lids for the grey tin box rectifier units used to uprate the PS system during the Channel Tunnel & Networker upgrades which were then fitted on-site using the "Hiab" crane mounted on a former GW lowmac ADW96500.

The Elephant logo comes from the fact that the Horsham PS crew (comprised of many ex-Dockers made redundant by the closure of the London docks - employed by BR because of their slinging & general lifting knowledge & skills led by a clever & wily chap delighting in the moniker of John Honeybun) were referred to colloquially as "The Heavy Gang" due to their undoubted abilities to shift large, heavy & unwieldy electrical equipment about and they adopted that Elephant motif accordingly - it ended being painted on various wagons etc.

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 7
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold

I hope these sell well, they deserve to and nice to see these wagons coming with a load, something I struggle to come up with on various stuff I already have.

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold

A Lowmac to current standards is a welcome addition.  One hopes that as much of it as possible will be diecast as what a 4mm Lowmac needs above anything else is weight just to stay on the rails and not be blown into next week by someone sneezing three streets away...  The previous RTR Lowmac, genetically the Airfix version which still comes with the wooden crate load glued to it, is a problematic runner because of it's lightness, and the Airfix construction kit version was even worse; mine tended to be siding lurkers.  It is not easy to ballast these models except by loading them with heavy things, which is no use if you want to model them empty (even as an anklebiter, I worked to the principle that 50% of my open wagons should be empty).

Their longevity is down to their being very solidly constructed in the first place, necessary for the heavy loads they were intended to move, and their undoubted usefulness in departmental use when they were no longer required in revenue.  They are easy to load and unload with heavy and awkward equipment and the well deck makes them tolerant of loading gauge.  Anything with wheels can be simply pushed/pulled/driven on from end-loading bays, which makes them superior in that respect to GW Loriots, or ramps built of old sleepers for side-loading.  Their usefulness is no doubt appreciated by their current heritage railway owners.

Good to see the chain loops as seperate fittings, which will make realistic loading much easier than the previous models.  Are Rapido considering alternative loads, Ruston Bucyrus, big mobile generators/compressors, that sort of thing?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, The Johnster said:

...what a 4mm Lowmac needs above anything else is weight just to stay on the rails and not be blown into next week by someone sneezing three streets away...  The previous RTR Lowmac, genetically the Airfix GMR version which still comes with the wooden crate load glued to it, is a problematic runner because of it's lightness, and the Airfix construction kit version was even worse...

Both very easy to weight, cut out the ribs down the centre underside of the kit and then on both glue on a strip of code 7 lead cut to maximum possible size on the underside.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

While I'm sure Rapido will do a brilliant job on these wagons,  I'd have preferred to see a version of the GC MAC N 20T wagon.  These may

not have lasted through to BR days, but would suit my period of the late 20s and early 30s better.    Still a Lowmac is a Lowmac so I'm sure they will be popular. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, Fredo said:

Hi , looking forward to the new Lowmac wagons, are you going to make any loads to go with them, say for the 50’s and 60’s. Thanks Fred

21 hours ago, RapidoCorbs said:

929001.jpg.00b38ff4e70f406685a74e625284ec1c.jpg

The pre-production artwork only shows the optional load once, but possibly it will be included with all variations?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Fredo said:

Hi , looking forward to the new Lowmac wagons, are you going to make any loads to go with them, say for the 50’s and 60’s. Thanks Fred

Steel ingots, machine bed castings for presses and the like, wheeled military kit, farm and builder's equipment, fabricated steelwork such as sections of silos, 'anonymous' shrouded with tarps,  and straight out of Rapido's locker a smashed wheelless ex -SECR 7 plank open presumably being carried away from an accident site for disposal...

• Like 4

5 hours ago, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

Steel ingots, machine bed castings for presses and the like, wheeled military kit, farm and builder's equipment, fabricated steelwork such as sections of silos, 'anonymous' shrouded with tarps,  and straight out of Rapido's locker a smashed wheelless ex -SECR 7 plank open presumably being carried away from an accident site for disposal...

In the 1980s, there was a service that ran from Crewe Works to Derby, thence  Doncaster and Newcastle. It was composed of a mixture of flat and Well wagons, including Lowmacs, and conveyed items such as diesel engines and loco bogies. The upper parts were normally sheeted, but with tantalising gaps....

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, Fredo said:

9 hours ago, jafcreasey said:

The pre-production artwork only shows the optional load once, but possibly it will be included with all variations?

So the intention with the wheel load is to try to provide something ubiquitous and generic enough to suit multiple eras. It will be included as a polybag part for the user to fit at their discretion or to use elsewhere on their layout. No permanent fixings etc.

7 hours ago, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

straight out of Rapido's locker a smashed wheelless ex -SECR 7 plank open presumably being carried away from an accident site for disposal...

Not for the lowmac, but when doing research for the D1666 LMS wagon there were a couple of excellent photos of one carrying a wooden framed open wagon that was snapped clean in half...

• Like 4

On 25/08/2023 at 16:16, nightstar.train said:

I'm intrigued that these lasted long enough to get EWS livery and even Network Rail! Does anyone know what EWS and NR used them for? I'm a sucker for EWS so that's probably going to be an order for me. 

(Photo from Flickr, click through for caption etc)

15/07/1997 - Warrington (Arpley), Cheshire.

This Vehicle is in Sat-Link Red and Yellow livery.

Although it could be mistaken for weathered EWS Maroon and Gold. ( The 12T Pipe wagon creeping into the picture on the left is a weathered Sat-Link open ).

The Yellow Liveried Low-Macs may have been part of the BR Engineering group of vehicles used in BR Breakdown Train Units and not a Network Rail vehicle.

As ever Rule 1 is always in operation. 

• Like 1