LNER/LMS 25t Machine Wagon LOWMAC in OO

RapidoCorbs

2 hours ago, Wickham Green too said:

A set of hydraulic buffers ?

No; it's going to be something agricultural. Because I need an excuse to have one on the W&U 🙂

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, MarkSG said:

No; it's going to be something agricultural. Because I need an excuse to have one on the W&U 🙂

That sounds interesting, what do you have in mind.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, gwrrob said:

That sounds interesting, what do you have in mind.

Well, the simple option, obviously, is a tractor from the Oxford Diecast range. I've already got a couple that are currently just scenic props, it would be easy enough to put one on a wagon instead. But it might be fun to have a go at scratchbuilding something that looks vaguely like some farm machinery. Or even put together a kit, if there is such a thing.

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

3 hours ago, Wickham Green too said:

Preferably something larger than a tractor which could have been carried on a low-sided open ......... a threshing machine would make an impressive model !

Yes, although Lowmacs were often used for things which would still have headroom on a normal flat wagon. There's a reason why Rapido picked a wheelset for the included load, after all (and see photos linked earlier in the thread).  So a tractor wouldn't be hugely unprototypical. But something a bit more specific would be good.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, MarkSG said:

Yes, although Lowmacs were often used for things which would still have headroom on a normal flat wagon. There's a reason why Rapido picked a wheelset for the included load, after all (and see photos linked earlier in the thread).  So a tractor wouldn't be hugely unprototypical. But something a bit more specific would be good.

A bit of variety here;

https://www.gaugemasterretail.com/categories/vehicles/vehicles-agricultural.html?limit=24

Then there are the Langley kits.

Mike.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, gwrrob said:

That light blue Fowler plough looks like it would be perfect for a three plank wagon load.😉

Wrong era for me, that's more suited to a pre-grouping or Big 4 layout whereas mine is set in early BR days. But the Walthers Scenemaster Plough and Planter would be perfect, despite being American and 1/87 scale. Farm machinery varies in size anyway, so the slightly smaller scale would simply give the impression of a slightly smaller piece of equipment. And that kind of equipment was common globally, not just in the US.

Unfortunately, Gaugemaster don't have any in stock, and nor does any other UK stockist I've checked. And I'm not paying £20 postage to get a £17 model shipped from the US!

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

I was surprised to find that an Oxford Diecast road roller on a Cambrian kit built GWR Loriot fits within the loading gauge. That was how it happened in 1/76 scale, where the road roller, the Loriot and the loading gauge are scale models, so I assume this works at full size.  But I still wonder about this!

John S

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, it's-er said:

I was surprised to find that an Oxford Diecast road roller on a Cambrian kit built GWR Loriot fits within the loading gauge. That was how it happened in 1/76 scale, where the road roller, the Loriot and the loading gauge are scale models, so I assume this works at full size.  But I still wonder about this!

John S

IIRC, such vehicles usually had the chimney taken off and carried separately when being transported by rail, so I suspect they didn't fit within gauge everywhere. Much of the GWR was more generously proportioned than other lines in that respect.

Also, of course, it's unlikely that road rollers and traction engines of different makes were all constructed to a common set of dimensions. 

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 3

19 hours ago, it's-er said:

One of the Oxford Rail warwells comes with the roller as a load

https://www.oxforddiecast.co.uk/products/warwell-with-steam-road-engine-dm721211-or76ww009

But, as stated earlier, it's unlikely, in reality, that it would be transported like that. Typically, the roof and chimney would removed to lower the profile and minimise the risk of damage in transit. And, with the roof off, it would also probably be covered with a tarpaulin to protect it from the elements.

It would be fairly easy to modify an Oxford road roller to be a load like that, but if it's going to be hidden from view with a tarpaulin then it's a bit of a waste of a model. You could mock up a convincingly roller-shaped load covered in a tarpaulin with a few bits of spare plastic. If you want a visibly agricultural load on the wagon, then something like a plough or harrow would be a more realistic option. That's my plan for the lowmac, anyway.

Edited by MarkSG
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, it's-er said:

John S

The LORIOT will (prototypically) accommodate a Ruston Bucyrus crawler face shovel.

In fact, the shovel fits the British loading gauge so closely that I suspect that it was intentionally designed to do just that!

CJI.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 27/08/2023 at 18:23, Ribird said:

What exactly is different from these to the Loriot P?
As Corbs said above, buffers and axleboxes, etc. Is there anything else?

Would the buffers and axleboxes be the same as on the Loriot Y? 

I'm currently working on an old Wrenn model and looking forward to doing something similar on the Rapido lowmac.

loriotp.JPG.5838ca9db65eea66d98a387a16d01f03.jpg.2647a2e04cbad591b6e39de0682767a1.jpg

• Like 4

I wonder, was this type of wagon used for the movement/ delivery of things like weaving looms in the UK?

I've seen pictures of such machines on international/ ferry wagons being imported from Europe for delivery, but was there a domestic supply too?

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 10/04/2024 at 05:58, Wickham Green too said:

I suspect British weaving looms - back in the days they were available - would have been supplied as kits of parts and built on site ................... inserting fully assembled looms into each floor of a dark satanic mill would have been no easy task.

But that was how Jerusalem was built!

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...