Hornby Magazine poll - no option to choose Derails

Metr0Land

• RMweb Gold

I've just had an online survey to fill in for MoY 2023 with all the usual sections.  Under retailer of the year there's no option to choose Derails (my #1 choice) and only an option to say 'o preference' - no chance to nominate someone they hadn't thought of.

• Round of applause 3

2 minutes ago, Metr0Land said:

I've just had an online survey to fill in for MoY 2023 with all the usual sections.  Under retailer of the year there's no option to choose Derails (my #1 choice) and only an option to say 'o preference' - no chance to nominate someone they hadn't thought of.

What, or who, is the source of this survey?

CJI.

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Metr0Land said:

Yes I wanted @Derails Models too, my first choice ideally, but went for TMC instead as they are listed and always great customer service and prices.

• Agree 2

28 minutes ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Call me cynical, but, surveys which only give a list to pick from are always suspect, a free choice seems a better way of going about things.

Mike.

It's not a survey though. It's the magazine awards.

Never see any moaning when BRM/RMWEB or Model Rail do exactly the same....

Jason

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

It's not a survey though. It's the magazine awards.

Jason

rmweb without moaning?  I must have missed that thread! 😂

• Funny 5

• Moderators
14 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

I run open nominations for such categories with the ten most nominated items going forward to the final vote to ensure it's as wide and fair as possible.

• Like 5
  • Round of applause 2

2 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

I run open nominations for such categories with the ten most nominated items going forward to the final vote to ensure it's as wide and fair as possible.

So do Hornby Magazine. 

Got the email a few months back as part of the Key Model World mailing list asking for nominations.

• Like 1

I think the Hornby Magazine reader awards are an excellent institution and provide an accurate view of all that is best in railway modelling.

OK my layout came third in the HM vote for layout of the year last year but that doesn't make me the least bit biased. 😉

• Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Call me cynical, but, surveys which only give a list to pick from are always suspect, a free choice seems a better way of going about things.

Mike.

The trouble is, with any survey, if people are allowed an unlimited choice it takes more time and hence money to process the results. A simple checkbox can be easily processed by a 'bot so is easier and cheaper.

• Informative/Useful 1

3 hours ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

It's surveying people with a view to them making a choice.

1 hour ago, Mr chapman said:

Perhaps a box that said "other, please give details" 

Of course when you go and vote in the next general election, you won't be permitted to cast your vote for "other, please give details".  Your choice will be limited to the candidates on the ballot paper.  The same applies for this vote too.  Obviously no-one nominated Derails.

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, Dungrange said:

Of course when you go and vote in the next general election, you won't be permitted to cast your vote for "other, please give details".  Your choice will be limited to the candidates on the ballot paper.  The same applies for this vote too.  Obviously no-one nominated Derails.

Based on your example I doubt many people knowingly voted for incompetent megalomaniacs either!

Mike.

• Funny 1

1 hour ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Based on your example I doubt many people knowingly voted for incompetent megalomaniacs either!

Is that not part of the job description? 🤣  Being the party of Government seems to make them worse.  We might be better off with "other, please give details" on the ballot form, but alas we have to just pick the best that is on offer.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
27 minutes ago, Dungrange said:

Is that not part of the job description? 🤣  Being the party of Government seems to make them worse.  We might be better off with "other, please give details" on the ballot form, but alas we have to just pick the best that is on offer.

I reckon there should be a "none of the above" box!

Mike.

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Gold

I haven't read a copy of Hornby Magazine for over a decade. and I've never bought anything from Derails. Bearing both those points in mind, would it cynical (or just plain wrong) to suggest that the shortlisted retailers were the most prominent advertisers in Hornby Magazine?

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
On 07/09/2023 at 15:17, Steamport Southport said:

Got the email a few months back as part of the Key Model World mailing list asking for nominations.

So they sought nominations, offered the top pollers for this vote. Sounds pretty even-handed to me. 

• Agree 4

• RMweb Gold
On 07/09/2023 at 18:14, Enterprisingwestern said:

It's surveying people with a view to them making a choice.

Mike.

No - if you look at it what it does it offers you a choice, one vote in each category.  It does that because it is a poll, not a survey.  Properly constructed surveys include 'check questions' which ask you something they'd asked in an earlier question but now framed in a very different way.   And surveys normally ask you, in different ways, to value things against a range of other things.

Polls just give you choice of what to vote for under each category and only one vote in that category.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

I would agree with Metr0land's original post. I wanted to vote for Derails as they are my go to online option. I was surprised they were not on the list to vote for.

Dan and crew provide a fabulous service and are well worth visiting their website.

In the end I voted for TMC as always worth a visit to Beck Hole. The online service is excellent too.

I do however think Derails should have been included on the voting list.

Cheers,

Mark

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, 46444 said:

I do however think Derails should have been included on the voting list

So...next year...

Nominate them when the request for nominations goes out.

I suspect they are peeved that no one did, or so few did they didn't make the shortlist.

• Agree 1