Flying Scotsman has an Accident

43 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

Looking at the Alcohol photos, I have identified the following victims amongst the wine….

1x Hennessey

3x Veuve Cliquot

1x unidentifed whisky

1x Bacardi

1x Gordans Gin

1x Stolichnaya

1x Grey Goose

its possible a Glenfiddich took a tumble, but we need rescuers to reach the scene of devastation.

spacer.png

Funnily enough a similar kind of carriage!

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 9

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, big jim said:

822A439F-F42A-4216-9B3D-272D430A0228.jpeg.f54243fe9d806776b26747daf7d52055.jpeg

From the photos at the top the more accurate description would be, 

IMG_9478.jpeg.dfc86311c816e22ad97b9ccda9609a55.jpeg

From reports it seems no serious injuries and if an older person got banged into furniture then a check over seems appropriate too. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 7
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
31 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

The ghastly event at Ladbroke Grove happened before everyone had a smartphone and Internet access on the hoof. Any event these days is a major drama on social media.

But apparently, STILL no one can take decent photos of UFOs!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, big jim said:

150631C9-3EF9-4832-B535-C4D369F06666.jpeg.0f0313f6de292a8574fc91fbef1788ff.jpeg

why is the rum gone? 

looking at twitter and some of the headlines on MSM you’d think Ladbroke Grove mk2 had just happened! 

822A439F-F42A-4216-9B3D-272D430A0228.jpeg.f54243fe9d806776b26747daf7d52055.jpeg

At least theyve got the right photo.

one website is using a picture of Salisbury another is using Stonehaven.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium

Just saw the report on STV News and was amazed that it was accurate!

Crash at Aviemore involving the famous steam engine Flying Scotsman after it shunted into the stationary carriages.

Makes a change! 😊

• Like 8
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold

Royal Scotsman is supposed to head south through Aviemore tomorrow, I wonder if it will pick up the service from there or if it’s all out cancel ?

Even if it’s a cancel they have to get the passengers “home” and there is no spare Red carpet stock locally… Though LSLs luxury Bubble car is running on the WHL this weekend.

”home” was a luxury train for a few days and this was day 1 aiui… so a few days left to find a “home”…

Ambulance chasers should be at Edinburgh by 0940 Monday to stand a chance of getting a commission.

Edited by adb968008
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

At least theyve got the right photo.

one website is using a picture of Salisbury another is using Stonehaven.

A while ago we discussed a jigsaw puzzle that had (amongst many other errors) an A3 painted up in LMS Crimson Lake, with all the lettering to suit. So they could have done far worse!

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

Royal Scotsman is supposed to head south through Aviemore tomorrow, I wonder if it will pick up the service from there or if it’s all out cancel ?

Even if it’s a cancel they have to get the passengers “home” and there is no spare Red carpet stock locally.

”home” was a luxury train for a few days and this was day 1 aiui… so a few days left to find a “home”.

Is there any red carpet stock in any case of identical or similar appointment ? Will not the R A I B want to  have a look 

before it or 60103 move ? What’s the procedure in such a case ?

• RMweb Gold
17 minutes ago, Ian Hargrave said:

Is there any red carpet stock in any case of identical or similar appointment ? Will not the R A I B want to  have a look 

The coaches will need to be inspected before moving, but its quite likely that, other than the observation saloon* and the self-ransacking bar car*, anything else will have suffered any real damage.

RAIB will mainly be interested in examining the two vehicles that came into conflict (especially the one that was moving), plus the circumstances leading up to the incident.   

The train may therefore be able to go, minus the affected vehicle(s)*, but not with 60103 at its head.

John

* Are they one and the same?

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
47 minutes ago, Legend said:

I suppose if you were in the kitchen amongst pans of boiling water this could have been very serious.  But 8 appliances attended ! I didn’t know there were that many in the Highlands . 

They probably heard about the alcohol and came rushing to the scene, and found some injured on the way.

Whisky is treasured in those parts, not a drop to waste, they probably have a special red velvet lined shoebox to let it recover in and a lacky to mop up the sweat.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1
  • Round of applause 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Dunsignalling said:

Stop short and close up is standard railway practice, though with most main-line trains now being multiple units, it happens much less often than it once did....

That should also happen on heritage/leisure railways as they were all sent a 'suitable  reminder and Instruction' following the fatality of a Guard during shunting on the NYMR some years ago.  If their Rule Book and procedues did not include coming to a stand c.20ft short before setting back to couple they were told that it should.  Really poor railway work to do anything else anyway so people should hardly need reminding or instructing.

However something does seem interesting about this incident and wirth a question and that is what was the position of the buckeye on 'Scotsman's tender?  I'm amost wondering if some twit was expecting to couple with the buckeye rather than a screw coupling?

But he definitely hit it too hard judging by the paint damage on one of the train's end buffers (see pic below) - was that because the engine came on too hard or was it because he squeezed up expecting to couple a buckeye>. In the end it doen'y matter which as the train was definitely hit too hard for whatever reason. (The usual story being  'Sir, I regret to report that the wheels picked up when I applied the brake')

thumbnail.jpeg.c6bbee8553c1f037fbce12f43b0d0a3a.jpeg

2 hours ago, adb968008 said:

Wouldnt someone be on the track to guide the drawing on though ?i

probably best not speculate.

Exactly so.  the Shunter would be bringing the engine back on a white light until h gives him a green light to slow down the a red light to stop c.20 feet from the train to which the engine will be coupled.   Final check to ensure that the brake pipe on the train is open to atmosphere (was it? - look at the pics) to keep the train stationary, double check the coupling on the tender is in the right position then carefully bring the engine back on a green light = dead slow then a red to stop the engine  just before the buffers meet brakes applied.

In fact it's pfteb easier to do it in the dark, poor light conditions, when it's easier to see a light than it is to see handsignals during daylight.  Any cmpetent Shunter and loco crew should have no difficyulty at all doing that although sometimes there can be a bit too heavy a bump when teh engine meets the train.  Good Driver and Shunter and people on the train won't even notice the engine arriving.

I wonder who got into a right panic after it happen ed and alerted most the emergency services in the County?  That person needsa good talking to whoever they were but especially if they were staff.

2 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

The ghastly event at Ladbroke Grove happened before everyone had a smartphone and Internet access on the hoof. Any event these days is a major drama on social media.

But plenty of mobilre 'phones anfd they were alive and letting folk what was happening very quickly.  Having that morning missed the Cheltenham (which was my usual train and was involved in the collision) O was ona following train and we were stopped at Dolphin Jcn just east of Slough.  Quite a number of passengers knew there had been a collision involving a train ahead of ours even before the Guard (no mobile phone in those days) had found out what was happening.  

And according to those on site there were nunerous abandoned mobiles on the trains involved, or lying on the ground, that kept on ringing off & on for ages after the collision as people tried t contact those who had been on the trains.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

They probably heard about the alcohol and came rushing to the scene, and found some injured on the way.

Whisky is treasured in those parts, not a drop to waste, they probably have a special red velvet lined shoebox to let it recover in and a lacky to mop up the sweat.

Maybe it is treasured….but priced accordingly. Aviemore is the tourist centre for the Cairngorms so go into one of the retailers in the town with a view to taking home a delicious souvenir of your Highland excursion.Be then prepared for,as we often say on this forum,a price gripe of eye watering proportions. Leave it until you get home to visit your local Sainsbury 

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Ian Hargrave said:

Maybe it is treasured….but priced accordingly. Aviemore is the tourist centre for the Cairngorms so go into one of the retailers in the town with a view to taking home a delicious souvenir of your Highland excursion.Be then prepared for,as we often say on this forum,a price gripe of eye watering proportions. Leave it until you get home to visit your local Sainsbury 

If its in Sainsburys, then its definitely whisky thats been outcast from the Clan.

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
54 minutes ago, Dunsignalling said:

The coaches will need to be inspected before moving, but its quite likely that, other than the observation saloon* and the self-ransacking bar car*, anything else will have suffered any real damage.

* Are they one and the same?

The bar is in the observation coach, yes. But the photos also showed kitchen equipment fallen over, which is in the first dining car next to the observation coach. There is also a wine cellar in the second dining car, which may have been the photo of a huge pile of bottles. Hopefully not many smashed, red wine is terrible to get out of carpet. 

• Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Ian Hargrave said:

Belmond have other stock but whether it can replicate exactly what thei set does I don't know.

It is likely that the RAIB might take an interest if only because of the headline grabbing of what in reality is a very minor incident.

But they need to be concerned - as already mentioned upthread  - about the fact that catering equipment and bottles came to be so severely 'disrupted', in a potentially very dangerous way, as a result of a minor low speed attaching incident.  They will also look very closely at the railway's procedures for attaching engines to loaded trains and the training of its personnel to carry out those procedures plus possibly the level of audit to ensure what procedures they have are complied with.  They ought to ask about the procedures for ensuring that the engine crew are properly familiar with the working of any particular engine, especially visiting engines, which they work on and the level of competence in the railway's procedures of any visiting engine crews.  And if I were RAIB I'd have a darned good look at their various safety procedures etc on an overall basis and not only in resoect of what I have listed but also in respect of calling out emergency services and how that is briefed to visiting train operators.

Some of these issues will have applications well beyond the Strathspey which could be another reason for using this incident to address any potentially wider implications.

Edited by The Stationmaster
  • Like 5
  • Agree 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, Ian Hargrave said:

No…..that I don’t get. You have to have the palate …..and head …of a discerning tippler with an elastic bank account to tell the difference. I’m “out of there”..But hey,what an awful mess.

Nah…

I have a sister in the vicinty… she just tells me what the local blokes say is the next sure thing out of the distillery..

buy it, and extra, then watch the price rise… and sell it.

if it doesnt rise.. drink it.

Edited by adb968008
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

Belmond have other stock but whether it can replicate exactly what thei set does I don't know.

It is likely that the RAIB might take an interest if only because of the headline grabbing of what in reality is a very minor incident.

But they need to be concerned - as already mention upthread about teh fact that catering equipment and bottles came to be so severely 'disrupted', in a potentially very dangerous way, asa result of a minor low speed attaching incident.  They will also look very closely at the railway's procedures for attaching engines to loaded trains and the training of its personnel to carry out those procedures plus possibly the level of audit to ensure what procedures they have are complied with.  They ought to ask about the procedures for ensuring that the engine crew are properly familiar with the working of any particular engine, especially visiting engines, which they work on and the level of competence in the railway's procedures of any visiting engine crews.  And if I were RAIB I'd have a darned good look at their various safety procedures etc on an overall basis and not only in resoect of what I have listed but also in respect of calling out emergency services and how that is briefed to visiting train operators.

Some of these issues will have applications well beyond the Strathspey which could be another reason for using this incident to address any potentially wider implications.

Classic comment Mike. Covers it precisely.

Phil

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1