Flying Scotsman has an Accident

• RMweb Premium

The Ntional reports that "A train crashed into a stationary carriage at Aviemore Railway Station at around 7pm on Friday.

It is understood that one of the trains (sic) involved in the crash is the iconic Flying Scotsman."

• RMweb Gold

Photos here,

its on the connecting line from Strathspey to NR, during the loco change on the Royal Scotsman set

https://www.northern-times.co.uk/news/world-famous-flying-scotsman-involved-in-collision-on-highla-328150/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-66967170

this working from Edinburgh.. 

https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/service/gb-nr:C18979/2023-09-29/detailed

The Royal Scotsman is scheduled to be overnighting at Strathspey tonight, and supposed to continue tomorrow as this..

https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/service/gb-nr:C18969/2023-09-30/detailed

Tonights Caledonian Sleeper to London was delayed starting from Inverness, and 1 northbound to Inverness delayed an hour as Emergency services took over Aviemore station.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, cessna152towser said:

From the top photo on the BBC link it looks more like a rough shunt when buffering up to the stock, rather than a crash or collision, media over-sensationalisation perhaps?

2 hospitalized, 3 treated at the scene.

This is quite a serious incident, even if the damage is limited. I dont recall that many people being injured in any railway incident that didnt attract a considerable investigation.

Photos on facebook (with various media requesting permission to use, so inevitably will be published), show the Bar has collapsed, all the catering equipment fallen over. Bottles of Whisky, Gin and dozens of bottles of wine 2-3 feet deep from the carriage floor…. i suspect the alcohol bill will be higher than the repair bill.

Edited by adb968008
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold

Strathspey have confirmed no services running this weekend.

On Friday 29th September at 18:15, a shunting incident occurred when Flying Scotsman was being coupled with Belmond’s Royal Scotsman train carriages, which were stationary in Aviemore Platform 3.  Emergency services attended the site to provide assistance. Two people have attended hospital and been discharged, with others being treated at the scene.  Appropriate authorities were notified immediately, and we are co-operating with their investigations.  Due to the ongoing investigations, unfortunately we are not able to operate any trains on Saturday or Sunday.  Thank you for your understanding.

This weekends services are subsequently cancelled.  Please contact our office who will process refunds (enquiries@strathspeyrailway.co.uk)

Strathspey facebook page

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1

It's not good  for incidents like this  to occur.  you don't need much speed to seriously injure people in a train, just a couple of miles per hour if they are standing.   The Strathspey staff seemed very professional whenever I have been there, like every summer for about 30 years, but something went wrong.  Was it Strathspey staff.     Usually with the 2MT or Jumbo they  squeeze up the buffers without moving the first coach at all, barely a shudder.      I would have  expected a buck eye to be deployed on the coach when coupling to a corridor tender.   

It shows yet again how poorly catering equipment is fixed in modern rolling stock conversions. The former LNER carriage that was in the Royal Scotsman set suffered the same fate. Inferior materials chipboard and MDF used for partition walls and kitchen units just screwed to the floor. Luckily nobody was seriously hurt in there.

Edited by Trestrol
  • Agree 8

• RMweb Premium
58 minutes ago, Trestrol said:

It shows yet again how poorly catering equipment is fixed in modern rolling stock conversions. The former LNER carriage that was in the Royal Scotsman set suffered the same fate. Inferior materials chipboard and MDF used for partition walls and kitchen units just screwed to the floor. Luckily nobody was seriously hurt in there.

Yup. It would be interesting to see where the persons were injured? Buried by Bottles perhaps? Certainly looks like storage needs to be reviewed. 

It is unfortunate of course. 

I seem to remember seeing the following on the Minehead Branch. A visiting reversing Tender Engine had to stop a Yard short of the stock under Platform supervision and then ease up.  I'm not sure if that wasn't following a heavy shunt incident? I didn't really consider it at the time and couldn't say if it was the adopted practice

of that Railway for all Engines or just Tender Engines or whatever.

Let's hope all is well in this case and that all involved are safe and well now. 

P

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
55 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

Yup. It would be interesting to see where the persons were injured? Buried by Bottles perhaps? Certainly looks like storage needs to be reviewed. 

It is unfortunate of course. 

I seem to remember seeing the following on the Minehead Branch. A visiting reversing Tender Engine had to stop a Yard short of the stock under Platform supervision and then ease up.  I'm not sure if that wasn't following a heavy shunt incident? I didn't really consider it at the time and couldn't say if it was the adopted practice

of that Railway for all Engines or just Tender Engines or whatever.

Let's hope all is well in this case and that all involved are safe and well now. 

P

Stop short and close up is standard railway practice, though with most main-line trains now being multiple units, it happens much less often than it once did....

• Agree 5
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Trestrol said:

So true, my other half (some say better half) used to run for several yrs the buffet cars on the same railway myself and adb968008 worked on and has said after seeing these posts that simply screwing or bolting equipment in place seems OK but it's all in the ability to withstand shock. Would be interesting to see more pics of other inside fittings that may have come off.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

It’s interesting that this collision took place when coupling to the veranda car. I wonder whether the driver misjudged the position of the end of the stabled coaches by observing the end of the car body. it would have been almost dark at the time as well. 

I recall that there may be a historical precedent in previous rear end collisions involving freightliner trains when the rear flat wagons were empty and therefore more difficult to see. 

• Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 7

• RMweb Gold

Unsurprisingly 1H80 Aviemore to Kyle of Lochalsh is canceled…

A lot of millionaires seeing their week long jolly unfold.

I wonder if they stayed on board or were “evacuated by rescuers” ?

Given all the drama, and undoubtably Americans I wonder if the lawyers have started private jetting in to check on the survivability and long term health of their clients.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold

Looking at the Alcohol photos, I have identified the following victims amongst the wine….

1x Hennessey

3x Veuve Cliquot

1x unidentifed whisky

1x Bacardi

1x Gordans Gin

1x Stolichnaya

1x Grey Goose

its possible a Glenfiddich took a tumble, but we need rescuers to reach the scene of devastation.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Round of applause 2
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Gold
49 minutes ago, coronach said:

It’s interesting that this collision took place when coupling to the veranda car. I wonder whether the driver misjudged the position of the end of the stabled coaches by observing the end of the car body. it would have been almost dark at the time as well. 

I recall that there may be a historical precedent in previous rear end collisions involving freightliner trains when the rear flat wagons were empty and therefore more difficult to see. 

Wouldnt someone be on the track to guide the drawing on though ?i

probably best not speculate.

Edited by adb968008
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, adb968008 said:

Unsurprisingly 1H80 Aviemore to Kyle of Lochalsh is canceled…

Latest update on Strathspey Facebook page says Royal Scotsman stock being moved to depot for inspection, freeing up the platform so that they will be able to run trains with the Ivatt 2-6-0 later in the day.

Updated again at 1:15pm they are not running today after all.

Edited by cessna152towser
updated
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold
26 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

Looking at the Alcohol photos, I have identified the following victims amongst the wine….

1x Hennessey

3x Veuve Cliquot

1x unidentifed whisky

1x Bacardi

1x Gordans Gin

1x Stolichnaya

1x Grey Goose

its possible a Glenfiddich took a tumble, but we need rescuers to reach the scene of devastation.

150631C9-3EF9-4832-B535-C4D369F06666.jpeg.0f0313f6de292a8574fc91fbef1788ff.jpeg

why is the rum gone? 

looking at twitter and some of the headlines on MSM you’d think Ladbroke Grove mk2 had just happened! 

822A439F-F42A-4216-9B3D-272D430A0228.jpeg.f54243fe9d806776b26747daf7d52055.jpeg

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, big jim said:

looking at twitter and some of the headlines on MSM you’d think Ladbroke Grove mk2 had just happened! 

The ghastly event at Ladbroke Grove happened before everyone had a smartphone and Internet access on the hoof. Any event these days is a major drama on social media.

• Like 1
  • Agree 9