Bachmann Europe - Winter 2023 Announcements

AY Mod

• RMweb Gold
40 minutes ago, Southernman46 said:

NO it's not a tail light - the red blinds are

Southern EMUs were required to carry an oil tail-lamp until about 1963, when dispensation was provided for units that had batteries to use red roller-blinds instead. No unit carried any form of headlight until about 1990, all trains, including EMUs, simply carrying a headsignal or headcode indicating route for signalmen’s benefit. A white light should certainly never be exhibited at the rear, except white blinds when berthed facing the stops in sidings.

• Agree 2

4 hours ago, LittleRedTrain said:

Centre headlight does not illuminate at the rear in either direction, which is I believe correct for SR slam-door units (the red blinds acting as the tail lamp).

In the real world, the red blinds and head codes would reverse ends when the train changed direction (i;e made the return trip).

Obviously we might be asking a lot for head codes to change automatically on a model (though you could - say - switch from white to red LEDs and vice versa). But I would have expected the headlights on both ends to switch on and off depending on direction of travel. A modeler might have a train going out in one direction and coming back in another. 

I've had a very prompt reply from Bachmann about this:

Thank you for taking the time to contact us.

The rear headcode does not light up on the new 3-CEP models, which is by design.

I passed your questions about the CVs and Function Mapping to our Research and Development department, who gave me the following information:

I believe that the front light & the High Intensity light at one end are connected to F0f & the front light & the High Intensity light at the other end are connected to F0r .

If you altered the function mapping to make both front lights come on at the same time , it would light up the same colour at both ends , also as the High Intensity lights are connected to the same decoder outputs as the front lights you would get the High Intensity lights on at both ends .

Disappointing, as it means that, without major surgery, it won't be possible to have the EMU running authentically.
However, at least I know it's not a faulty model!

13 minutes ago, Wickham Green too said:

The problem, there, being that the red rear blind should be blank and the front blind should be white number on black background ..... the only answer would be a tiny liquid crystal display or similar.

Hi,

I've been looking into this. An LCD may not have wide enough viewing angle. An OLED may be better but finding one the right size that can do White and Red on a Black Background is difficult at the moment.

Regards

Nick

On 03/11/2023 at 01:19, Covkid said:

Just leafed through Mike Hollick's book "Changing engines" and he has a photo of D8043 at Crane Street junction Wolverhampton, on a train of bogie bolsters on 14th April 1966 working T33.  Also D8137 in the up yard at Bescot displaying 8T34. On this date (23rd August 1968) it was a local trip to Aston Goods.

Declaring an interest, as a 'local' too, by Aston Goods, would that have been the Windsor Street branch (famous for its being a Condor terminal), or another local goods facility? 

Sorry for the off-topic jaunt.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

Does anyone know when 37069 received its large numbers in BR blue? A trawl of Flickr pinpoints it to sometime after end May 1987 but by late October 1987.

It was repainted into triple grey at Doncaster Works after arriving late March 1988 making the operational timeframe of this loco in the Bachmann released livery relatively short.

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 21/12/2023 at 19:20, GordonC said:

With the way TMC is discounting DMUs and EMUs to 40-50% at the moment and they're still in stock with more than 10 after several weeks, does it not make you wonder how viable some of the less common liveries or niche types are in model form?

Or it could just be the price.

Problem is model railways is fashion, once its out of fashion thats it, it can be very hard to shift at any price. I put that down to peoples budgetting, once the fomo has passed, once the need has past and once the want has passed.. then people know that it isnt important and focus on newer fashions instead.

Put another way, when was the last time you took a brand new Hornby Schools or Heljan 35 down to the club to show off ? 

Without any scientific backing,I suggest its possible to grade models in terms of Price, Quality and Desirability..

Get all three right, you Hit the A and it will sell all day from release, before dropping to B and then C.

Once you hit the B, the next stop is how fast it falls to C, and if it misses all 3.. oh dear.

Accurascales 37 definitely hit the A, but Bachmanns 37 despite getting Quality and Desirability imo fell started at a B and fell to C over a year because of price, and seen some retailers drop to a D and dump them.

I watch the EFE 20000 with interest, I suspect it wins on price and quality, but suspect desirability is limited on some… its not the kind of loco many will buy multiples of.

The BEP was last years unit, I suspect the refurb EMUs will fall quite fast, not that many are walking around at Christmas with £2.5k in their pocket to buy 5 EMUs.

Then I look at Dapols RSH, which wins on price but oh dear on the bufferbeam.

Edited by adb968008
  • Agree 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Now in possession of the lovely 37-686 'Power' 14 Ton Tank and a very nice model it is too.

Was slightly disappointed though to find that it has the same '115' running number to the similar though slightly different liveried 37-675 of previous issue.

Would have been nice if they had had different running numbers. Feels a bit like Regent tanks which always seem to be numbered 101 !

May renumber in due course though would rather have not had to.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Opelsi said:

Now in possession of the lovely 37-686 'Power' 14 Ton Tank and a very nice model it is too.

Was slightly disappointed though to find that it has the same '115' running number to the similar though slightly different liveried 37-675 of previous issue.

Would have been nice if they had had different running numbers. Feels a bit like Regent tanks which always seem to be numbered 101 !

May renumber in due course though would rather have not had to.

Bachmann have a funny habit of re using already issued numbers when there is no need - I can't imagine it does anything except deter the 'nice to have sales'  - the committed will renumber but those of us with one already and no real need of a second will pass on by. 

Edited by MikeParkin65
  • Like 1
  • Agree 3

40 minutes ago, MikeParkin65 said:

Bachmann have a funny habit of re using already issued numbers when there is no need - I can't imagine it does anything except the deter the 'nice to have sales'  - the committed will renumber but those of us with one already and no real need of a second will pass on by. 

Its an irritating habit and would surely reduce sales one way or another. There are quite a few examples - 24035 and 37254 have certainly been out on different tooling when you'd think there would have been plenty alternatives

Edited by GordonC
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
29 minutes ago, GordonC said:

Its an irritating habit and would surely reduce sales one way or another. There are quite a few examples - 24035 and 37254 have certainly been out on different tooling when you'd think there would have been plenty alternatives

Yes and the last batch of Crabs repeated previously released numbers too

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1