EFE Rail - Winter 2023 Announcements inc. Southern 'Booster'

AY Mod

• RMweb Gold

Been hoping someone would produce these for a long time, top spot on my wish list.  Just placed my order for CC1 in BR blue, would love CC2 in green with yellow ends at some point in the future. 

cc1.webp

Edited by simon b
  • Like 12

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, Wickham Green too said:

OK ......... someone's going to ask sooner or later : What's the thinking about clearances for EM or P4 wheels ?  - I don't expect drop-in replacement wheelsets ( hint, hint ) but just an idea of possibilities at this stage. 🙄

I have successfully tested dropping in Ultrascale P4 wheels same ones as produced for the KMRC Bulleid Diesel. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2
  • Round of applause 2

4 hours ago, Graham_Muz said:

The five liveries being produced are as per the OP. There are a of course a number of other livery and tooling combinations that could be produced in the future...

sCC2 in  ultramarine blue with silver lettering and lines would certainly make an interesting variation.

Or they could always do one in purple.  It did very well when Accurascale did it for the Deltics 😀

• Funny 5

26 minutes ago, Graham_Muz said:

Geez manufactures can't win can they... 

Actually I thought you would come back and tell me there was no catch. Generally a loco of this standard is well over £200. It is a niche model so would normally cost more. So perhaps next time you might reply with some constructive comments like it doesn't have full lighting or comments of the like. Obviously I expected too much.

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, ColinB said:

Actually I thought you would come back and tell me there was no catch. Generally a loco of this standard is well over £200. It is a niche model so would normally cost more. So perhaps next time you might reply with some constructive comments like it doesn't have full lighting or comments of the like. Obviously I expected too much.

I can't tell you it doesn't have lighting as it does, the spec of the model is available for all to see. My original comment stands, as there is no catch. 

Edited by Graham_Muz
  • Like 2
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• Moderators
9 minutes ago, ColinB said:

So perhaps next time you might reply with some constructive comments like it doesn't have full lighting or comments of the like. Obviously I expected too much.

Can't you just accept what you've been told or has been evidenced rather than grumbling?

• Like 3
  • Agree 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Round of applause 3

2 minutes ago, Graham_Muz said:

I can't tell you it doesn't have lighting as it does, the spec of the model is available for all to see. My original comment stands, as there is no catch. 

In that case that is all you had to say. It is an EFE model which is the cheaper version of a Bachmann but on the other hand it is all the features of a higher priced loco plus it has a pantograph which normally dictates a higher price. As far as I know I have never seen one before so it is a new design and build all of which generally increases the price.

1 minute ago, AY Mod said:

Can't you just accept what you've been told or has been evidenced rather than grumbling?

Actually I wasn't grumbling, does it sound like that, I was asking a genuine question which I expected sensible answers. It is substantially cheaper than virtually all the locos of its class so it is a reasonable question. Just for you information I thought it was such a good price that I ordered one. The last EFE class 58 loco I ordered I think had a list price higher than this one and it was a rebadged older model so I could understand it being cheaper, whereas this model appears to a completely new design so normally would warrant a much higher price.

• Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, ColinB said:

Actually I wasn't grumbling, does it sound like that, I was asking a genuine question which I expected sensible answers. It is substantially cheaper than virtually all the locos of its class so it is a reasonable question. Just for you information I thought it was such a good price that I ordered one. The last EFE class 58 loco I ordered I think had a list price higher than this one and it was a rebadged older model so I could understand it being cheaper, whereas this model appears to a completely new design so normally would warrant a much higher price.

Perhaps - more to the point - we should be asking why non-EFE models are significantly more expensive.

I cannot be the only one who has been amazed at the meteoric rise in model prices in recent times.

CJI.

• Like 6
  • Agree 8
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

1 minute ago, cctransuk said:

Perhaps - more to the point - we should be asking why non-EFE models are significantly more expensive.

I cannot be the only one who has been amazed at the meteoric rise in model prices in recent times.

CJI.

Better not go there, I have already had two nasty responses to a very simple question just asking if the model was missing something.

• RMweb Premium

The price definitely took me by surprise, and I wondered at first if it was a mistake. It's fantastic to see a model such as this commanding a such a price.

It's hardly surprising given the expense of the hobby today that people would possibly think there may be a catch 😉

• Like 1

Does seem a good price for an interesting and quirky  loco, I read on another thread on here that they were intensively diagramed on boat  trains and freight workings.

I hope someone has recording of their sound too.

I notic the spec mention mu connections has anyone ever seen a photo of a pair of them operating in multiple ?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, dave75 said:

Does seem a good price for an interesting and quirky  loco, I read on another thread on here that they were intensively diagramed on boat  trains and freight workings.

I notic the spec mention mu connections has anyone ever seen a photo of a pair of them operating in multiple ?

We are not aware of any verified sound recordings. 

Whilst CC2 had the MU cables from introduction, in anticipation of a possible larger fleet, CC1 was never so equipped so they didn't actually run in multiple. 

Edited by Graham_Muz
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, ColinB said:

Better not go there, I have already had two nasty responses to a very simple question just asking if the model was missing something.

I think that you made the mistake of assuming that low price equals low spec.

The story that we have been fed is that high spec. equals high price - perhaps not so convincing a premise now?!?

CJI.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, dave75 said:

I assume it was used in the coal mines in Kent where the third rail was dangerous in marshalling yards. I imagine it was replaced by the class 71 that Hornby also modelled. Interestingly the Hornby model is a really good model with all the modern features like both bogies driven and lighting but is also sold at a reasonable price.

2 minutes ago, cctransuk said:

I think that you made the mistake of assuming that low price equals low spec.

The story that we have been fed is that high spec. equals high price - perhaps not so convincing a premise now?!?

CJI.

You are absolutely right.