Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

EFE Rail - Winter 2023 Announcements inc. Southern 'Booster'

AY Mod

14 minutes ago, frobisher said:

I was meaning the 71; The CAD from that could probably be used as a basis for 74 or modification of the 71 bodywork tooling, and an EFE rework on the drive chain as we have seen before as I understand it.

The only things common to a 71 and a 74 are the cabs, everything else would need to be newly tooled

• Like 1

I thought it worth pointing out, for those of us with the uneven seating of the bogies, that this needn't necessarily lead to derailing.

Having received my black 20002 this morning, the first test was to put it on the kitchen worktop, and sure enough all the wheels didn't touch! Not by a lot I must say, nor indeed am I suggesting that they shouldn't.

Trying it out on the layout, which has Peco Code 75 track, I was pleasantly surprised to find it running quite happily, especially through facing pointwork which usually finds imperfections. There is a slight and occasional wobble of the body in places, such as one can get on many locos and coaches.

I will be taking the top off in due course, in order to set up the headcodes, with the removal of those in place best done apparently by pushing out from the inside of the bodyshell. I'll have a look at the bogie supports/ spigots/ wings, which seem to be the problem at the same time, and many thanks to those above who have identified fixes to the issue.

John.

Edited by John Tomlinson
typo
  • Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

4 hours ago, Gwiwer said:

20001 has had its pickup shoes fitted and looks a lot more “used” than it did this morning. 

The shoes don’t clip onto the lugs as they should. The holes designed to clip over the lugs need careful reaming out with the pointy end of a round file. I found that easier while they were still on the sprue. They are then fixed with a spot of adhesive rather than clipping on. 

I have yet to fit buffer-beam details and I intend to change the headcode in due course but for now this loco - which ran well on test - is looking like this 

IMG_5630.jpeg.b5241aadfc007b3bb759a6411f814b7f.jpeg

IMG_5633.jpeg.30b31963562f723ee2ee8de42b529610.jpeg

IMG_5634.jpeg.c52d11e72ed9b65dd345214bec9a813c.jpeg

IMG_5635.jpeg.fb1eba983373a7d6c30e58a7810292de.jpeg

IMG_5636.jpeg.83ca13212d78d02baef627523b93c4ac.jpeg

IMG_5637.jpeg.5eaee90945f7a9cdf8756009984d0f2b.jpeg

IMG_5638.jpeg.fdadff67570a9c18b1514c258b787f2d.jpeg

20002 remains in the naughty corner. I’ll take her back to the club test track in the week and see if a couple of tiny modifications cure the derailing. 

My review video shows how to fit the shoes easily and without making them vulnerable to falling off easily. Shown with time code below

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, mikesndbs said:

My review video shows how to fit the shoes easily and without making them vulnerable to falling off easily. Shown with time code below

That is what mine would not do. The “entry” gap to the main part of the hole was far too small with both sides barely 1mm apart. The central part of the hole was also marginally too small for the lugs. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

DJM never did any work on the 74 and his 71 was amazingly low geared so would need a rework to make a saleable 74. 

I was also wondering whether a head start on a Class 74 could be achieved by employing the DJM Class 71 chassis (wherever it is) - however I was unaware of the cause of the poor performance, if it was the motor that could be replaced, but gearing issues would not be so easy to resolve without unwelcome additional investment. As it is, with virtually everything else having to be tooled from scratch, for a Class of ten locomotives in one livery which were in service during one of the least popular modelling eras (1967-77 - even if I like it cuz I was there), I can see Class 74 going one of two ways - not at all, or KR Models [backs quietly out of the room, closes the door and runs for it.......!]

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
On 13/01/2024 at 10:49, Wickham Green too said:

There's a Manual Sheet on the EMGS website - easier than searching through 31 pages of RMweb thread.

Do you have a reference please?

Thanks.

• RMweb Gold
22 hours ago, Wickham Green too said:

In the Members Area - you ARE a Member, I trust - click on Manual Sheets then Technical Papers .... currently seems to be the bottom of the list.

No I'm not unfortunately, but thanks anyway. I'm a member of 'the other lot'! I have managed to get at the bogie underframe without damage!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

It's nice to have a positive experience amongst all this 'negativity' and 'doom' elsewhere!😘

I've successfully converted mine to P4. It was the quickest and easiest conversion that I've ever done once that I'd got the bogie frame under plates off without damage. At one point I was fearing that I might break one or more of the six retaining clips, but gentle wiggling around with a small screwdriver under the clips and then 'ping', off they came. I used a P4 set of Accurascale Cl 37 axles which were surplus to my requirements. They might be about 0.5mm too small in diameter, but I'm not at all worried about such small discrepancies. (worn tyres perhaps!?) The Accurascale bearings and gears were slid off and the EFE ones slid onto the P4 axles, the p/b pickups were slightly bent out and the wheelsets dropped and the underframe clicked back in place. The Accurascale sets are available from their stock thus saving the usual wait from Ultrascale and there is a saving.

The bogies are a superb bit of design and grateful thanks to Graham 'Muz' for engineering-in the necessary space between the frames for those of us who model with track to 'the wider persuasion'.

20240124_135534.jpg.e9a1403cd1cd0134e2b8f809a1586fb1.jpg

20240124_135528-Copy.jpg.1836ca111aad474db3c351c1b0e1867b.jpg

Edited by Re6/6
  • Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2
  • Round of applause 2

The problem with model railways is that the wheel flanges are expected to do things they never would at 1:1 scale such as steer the wheelset through curve / straight track transitions and crossing noses whereas in the real world this is done via conicity and the use of cover check rails acting on the back of the flange. Rarely also on models do curves have a transition between the circular curve and the straight which they would do on the real thing. Consequently our models have to get that bogie rotation / wheels down evenly / back to back stuff generally right to ensure the "leading flanges" around curve outside rails, turnouts and crossing noses - go in the right direction and don't climb over the rail or drop into the gap and derail.

The CC70's have an arrangement which enables it to take 2nd radius curves with those two close long bogies and yet still have the loco sit right down on the bogies without 'orrible gaps like some models we've had in the past - this has perhaps just been let down by some minor manufacturing issues which can be corrected by a bit of modelling as a number of people above have described.

Personally can't wait for batch 2 of the CC70's and (hopefully) the green FYE version of 20002.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, Southernman46 said:

The problem with model railways is that the wheel flanges are expected to do things they never would at 1:1 scale such as steer the wheelset through curve / straight track transitions and crossing noses whereas in the real world this is done via conicity and the use of cover check rails acting on the back of the flange. Rarely also on models do curves have a transition between the circular curve and the straight which they would do on the real thing. Consequently our models have to get that bogie rotation / wheels down evenly / back to back stuff generally right to ensure the "leading flanges" around curve outside rails, turnouts and crossing noses - go in the right direction and don't climb over the rail or drop into the gap and derail.

The CC70's have an arrangement which enables it to take 2nd radius curves with those two close long bogies and yet still have the loco sit right down on the bogies without 'orrible gaps like some models we've had in the past - this has perhaps just been let down by some minor manufacturing issues which can be corrected by a bit of modelling as a number of people above have described.

Personally can't wait for batch 2 of the CC70's and (hopefully) the green FYE version of 20002.

Yes the Booster wheelbase is very long compared to most Co-Cos and also as you state the bogies are mounted closer together than most too, so the need to take R2 curves has been a challenge. 
Thankfully the small number of actual reported "minor manufacturing issues" as a percentage of the number of models produced is very low.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Re6/6 said:

It's nice to have a positive experience amongst all this 'negativity' and 'doom' elsewhere!😘

I've successfully converted mine to P4. It was the quickest and easiest conversion that I've ever done once that I'd got the bogie frame under plates off without damage. At one point I was fearing that I might break one or more of the six retaining clips, but gentle wiggling around with a small screwdriver under the clips and then 'ping', off they came. I used a P4 set of Accurascale Cl 37 axles which were surplus to my requirements. They might be about 0.5mm too small in diameter, but I'm not at all worried about such small discrepancies. (worn tyres perhaps!?) The Accurascale bearings and gears were slid off and the EFE ones slid onto the P4 axles, the p/b pickups were slightly bent out and the wheelsets dropped and the underframe clicked back in place. The Accurascale sets are available from their stock thus saving the usual wait from Ultrascale and there is a saving.

The bogies are a superb bit of design and grateful thanks to Graham 'Muz' for engineering-in the necessary space between the frames for those of us who model with track to 'the wider persuasion'.

20240124_135534.jpg.e9a1403cd1cd0134e2b8f809a1586fb1.jpg

20240124_135528-Copy.jpg.1836ca111aad474db3c351c1b0e1867b.jpg

We (10800, CK, Brinkly and Taz)  have another of these most welcome additions to the 'Balcombe'/' Ouse Valley Viaduct' layout stock, a green one this time. Both of them will be mostly used on the Newhaven boat trains in different eras and also fast goods (Norwood to Brighton amongst others.)

We also have a nearly completed model of 20003, the third and final one of three Raworth engines.

it's mostly scratchbuilt and again it will be used on Newhaven boats and also fast freights.

20240124_192015.jpg.d07b2b6d8e8d2adbaee40fa63a925f30.jpg

Edited by Re6/6
  • Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2
  • Round of applause 2

8 hours ago, Graham_Muz said:

Thankfully the small number of actual reported "minor manufacturing issues" as a percentage of the number of models produced is very low.

When barely half the twelve wheels actually touch a flat surface how is that a "minor manufacturing issue",  please?

• RMweb Premium
16 hours ago, Graham_Muz said:

Which is good to know but frustrating for those of us with a problem loco.  

My ‘02 is a derailer. I had a closer look yesterday and it seems that there is a significant issue with one bogie assembly. I’m not sure, because the bogie doesn’t pop apart readily as some others do, whether this is balance, wheel mounting or distortion but as the model has sold out I have two options. 

Attempt a “fix” myself or return it for refund. 

I am somewhat reluctant to do either. 

‘01 however is a good ‘un and has now completed its running in and acceptance and has been weathered. This improves the overall appearance of a working locomotive. 

IMG_5636.jpeg.c36cc3ad67c9a812ae1e8b70bea66f88.jpeg

IMG_5637.jpeg.498c0651c6275bab7b333e85991bd63b.jpeg

IMG_5635.jpeg.81df8f71601a8694cb32b4872eab7e7f.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, GWR-fan said:

When barely half the twelve wheels actually touch a flat surface how is that a "minor manufacturing issue",  please?

Because the very small number of models that have been actually reported as so affected, is being investigated as the potential cause being as what could be described by some as 'minor manufacturing issue'. 

Edited by Graham_Muz
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Gwiwer said:

My ‘02 is a derailer. I had a closer look yesterday and it seems that there is a significant issue with one bogie assembly. I’m not sure, because the bogie doesn’t pop apart readily as some others do, whether this is balance, wheel mounting or distortion but as the model has sold out I have two options. 

Attempt a “fix” myself or return it for refund. 

I am somewhat reluctant to do either. 

Rick,

Ping me a PM and I will see what I can do to help sort the issue.

• Thanks 1

Fixed mine using 'three point suspension 'as others have done!

Would be very  interested  to know what this 'minor  manufacturing issue' is.

On 18/01/2024 at 20:59, jonnyuk said:

100%, perfect balance, does not need a fancy stay alive etc, no need for fans or raising pantographs, the livery finish is good, it’s a good runner, enough detail to look high end, except the inconsistent running (which I need to sort out with my local shop) I think it’s the best value loco I’ve ever bought.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Graham_Muz said:

Because the very small number of models that have been actually reported as so affected, is being investigated as the potential cause being as what could be described by some as 'minor manufacturing issue'. 

Well if that is the production standard then no more EFE Rail or associated affiliates on my future radar.  I did actually read your original post where you stated that not all wheels need to be in contact with a flat surface.  Nice edit.

• RMweb Gold

Received my replacement 20002 from Kernow a few days ago and am very pleased with it. Fitted a Lenz 21-pin decoder and tested it on all my pointwork with no issues. All code 75 with double-slips and 3-ways in the station throat and it rattles over them with no problem. But there was a derailment when I reversed it into a storage yard road. I use Tortoise point motors and discovered the fulcrum had dropped down leaving the blades swinging freely as I'd removed the spring. Could have been like that for some time as the point is usually only traversed in trailing mode.

Couple of issues with the lights though not the fault of the loco. Headlights only working at one end was resolved by a full decoder reset, which was a surprise! And cab lights only working at one end as the Lenz decoder is only 5-function - hence my post earlier about why not using F1 and F2. I'm not really bothered about cab lights, but I do have a Bachmann 4-CEP with a Zimo MX638 and could swap decoders if I ever decide I want the lights at both ends after all. 

Edited by RFS

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, GWR-fan said:

Well if that is the production standard then no more EFE Rail or associated affiliates on my future radar. 

Keeping things in context, as I said there have only been a very small number of models with any reported issues, which are still being investigated,  when compared with the numbers sold. 

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1