didcot

• RMweb Gold
On 20/03/2024 at 13:24, Darius43 said:

EU ban on Mazepin overturned

Mazepin to Mercedes in 2025?

Probably not…

Cheers

Darius

Any team with half a sense of decency wouldn't touch him with a barge pole. That's him off to RB then. (jk)

• Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, 57xx said:

Any team with half a sense of decency wouldn't touch him with a barge pole. That's him off to RB then. (jk)

I know you are joking but even RB wouldn’t want a driver that would most likely stuff the car into a wall during practice/quali/the race.

Cheers

Darius

• Agree 2

On 25/03/2024 at 10:51, EddieB said:

I'm intrigued that both Lewis and George commented on the speed of Checko's Red Bull.  Is there an implication that something isn't quite legal (despite Max's car having passed scrutiny previous time out)?

I think that they were making a point to their own team that their car is well down on pace.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

On 25/03/2024 at 11:03, Andrew P said:

Also, regarding the Alonso / Russell incident. Alonso got a penalty but still got points, Russel got nothing.

BUT what is still unknown is whether Russels Car suffered any Engine or Gearbox damage that could cost him to use an extra component from his allocation. If that is the case, (and we wont know until its examined), I think the Stewards should re look at Alonso's penalty, BUT OF COURSE THEY WONT. 

It is unfair that cars sometimes need extra 'regulation limited' components or expensive rebuilding. I understand and accept why the limits exist so would not like to see their removal, but it does show why the rules have become complicated.

With regard to the Alonso/Russell incident, it is worth noting that the stewards did not accuse Alonso of doing it intentionally, but merely that his actions were erratic  & therefore dangerous.

It is virtually impossible to prove or disprove intent, so the rules are deliberately written to not require it.

This is not the same as claiming the stewards stating it was unintentional. There is no need for them to get into a debate in what they considered his intention to be, so they will not comment on it. Not publicly anyway.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I only watched the BBC online lap-by-lap data and commentary, but Russell nailing Piastri at the end was a bit of a consolation for another lacklustre Merc weekend. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Apart from the borefest up front the race wasn't too bad with a lot of different strategies although pit/tyre strategy shouldn't be the only way to make a race interesting.

Much like Sainz/Norris a few races ago it also says a lot when you can stop a car 2 places back from overtaking by slowing enough to allow the car behind you to get DRS but not enough to get by you but enough to stop the faster car behind them from passing then challenging you. This time Alonso, Piastri and Russell and it worked until Piastri made a small mistake but to late for Russell to challenge Alonso. Similar I suppose to Magnussen driving slowly on purpose to help Hulkenburg but not slow enough to be passed. I'd much rather see flat out racing than these slow tactics.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

Posted (edited)

Not a bad race.

Ricardo and Sargent need to go. Not doing the teams any favours.

Ferrari have dropped the wrong driver.

Albons chassis on the way to Grove for repair. Williams won't have a new one until Miami at the earliest. 

Edited by didcot
  • Like 2
  • Agree 2

Another one where I watched the highlights on YouTube, just under 20 mins worth on the Sky F1 YouTube channel. As others have said, not bad behind the Red Bulls.

As for Ferrari dropping the wrong driver - absolutely, and I think it's mad that they're dropping either of them to be fair. They've kept each other honest the last few years.

Jo

• Agree 4

3 minutes ago, Steadfast said:

As for Ferrari dropping the wrong driver - absolutely, and I think it's mad that they're dropping either of them to be fair. They've kept each other honest the last few years.

Jo

And also remained civil.

Sainz might find himself at Mercedes or Redbull next season.

• Like 2

As much as I like Lewis, I think he has given up on this year already. That was clear when he asked if he should let George past!

• Agree 3

52 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

And also remained civil.

Sainz might find himself at Mercedes or Redbull next season.

NOT Red Bull I would hope, as he would have to be a clear No 2 again.

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Andrew P said:

NOT Red Bull I would hope, as he would have to be a clear No 2 again.

Point well taken - but the ambition in a driver is to be the best, and how better than defeating Max in the same car?

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

13 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

Point well taken - but the ambition in a driver is to be the best, and how better than defeating Max in the same car?

Totally agree, but if he did, would Daddy V ensure his car was nobbled? Plus RBR wouldn't want to upset the Golden Egg.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

JV and Marko would not allow equal equipment.

Four races in and I've not watched any of them (including 'highlights') - first time for 60+ years

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

Only just caught up with the Japan race last night. I found out the C5 are now only keeping the catch up program on for 7 days, so I missed out on the quali program. It's nice to see the only time they focus on the RBS is at the very beginning and very end. At least we can get to see what's happening mid pack. I love Suzaka, one of my favourite tracks (driving it in F1 games is fantastic) but watching it this time round didn't seem to have the oomph that it used to have.

• Agree 1