RMweb

Hornby 2024 range announcements

AY Mod

Well, my wallet and my wife have both taken a collective sigh of relief, I'm thankful really. Rapido and Accurascale have more than made up in the past year and the year to come for us GWR modellers!

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

Just now, 9402 Fredrick said:

I'm guessing that buying the 2024 catalogue is another way of seeing the other new items not shown initially.

If you are expecting pages full of stuff not announced here, you will be disappointed.

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, nathan70000 said:

Locomotion No 1, interesting choice. There were a few hints in the latest Hornby A Model World series- IIRC there was a large scale model of it in shot at one point.

Otherwise, oh dear.

Locomotion #1 looks really impressive from an engineering perspective but I'd file it under 'inefficient use of limited resources' - can't see many people buying multiples over the years 

• Like 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Just now, spamcan61 said:

Locomotion #1 looks really impressive from an engineering perspective but I'd file it under 'inefficient use of limited resources' - can't see many people buying multiples over the years 

They could put it in a Beatles livery perhaps? 😏

• Funny 14

• RMweb Premium
Just now, Keegs said:

They could put it in a Beatles livery perhaps? 😏

How about a Kylie special? Do the locomotion. 

• Craftsmanship/clever 2
  • Round of applause 3
  • Funny 10

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, spamcan61 said:

How about a Kylie special? Do the locomotion. 

I think Little Eva for this demographic.

Edited by Downer
  • Like 3
  • Agree 6
  • Funny 2

Quite an odd list of announcements - A few things that I expected (Royal 67, P2 2002), but a lot of things that I would have expected are just not there - The lack of an LNER 225 set being the biggest one.

That said, an updated GNER HST set with the original light clusters? Sign me up! 

Cheers,

Edit: Really surprised by the lack of a Cross Country HST farewell pack 

Edited by 60800
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Well, Locomotion No.1 will be an immediate pre-order for me. Well done Hornby for taking on the task of making such a small complex loco in RTR!

Little bit of a shame that much like their other "Era 1" locos it actually isn't, but at least they were honest about that in the video 👍

Glad to see Hornby are indeed sticking to the catch up and are being sensible. Long may this better direction for the company last 👌

• Like 1

Bit disappointing, though looking at the list of items outstanding from previous years I suppose another light set of announcements was inevitable. 

I still have liked to see another A2/3. And either a J6 or B16. But it is what it is.....

• Like 2

Already pre-ordered  few things from Kernow - Mayflower, L1, W1 and an LMR mail coach. But i do think that the video itself was just awful - mispronounced names, jump cuts halfway through words, a nice long interview with lots of inaudible muttering breaking everything up and the host saying that he'd buy one of the engines becuase he would titter at the word 'Dick' being in the name.

A big step down on the quality of their previous presentations in my opinion

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
34 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

R30339 Hornby 70th: Westwood, 0-40, No. 7 'Nellie' (Yellow) - Limited Edition  £49.99 Jun-24

image.png

R30340 Hornby 70th: Westwood, 0-4-0, No. 9 'Polly' (Red) - Limited Edition £49.99 Jun-24

So which bodyshell are they doing? 😉

from their site

IMG_2826.png.3054231bc3834f37106349db8fd7f3df.png

• Like 1

Graham Muz's blog is interesting in that it says "nothing here for Southern modellers" and then goes on to list a string of previously announced Southern locos due to arrive in the shops over the next 6 months..... A number of them date back to 2019-20

That I suspect is what is bulking out the catalogue . From Hornby's point of view, you get the money when you deliver the model, not when you announce it. So in practice there should be plenty of new tooling for them to sell

Am I correct in thinking the 21T minerals are new tooling???  This might explain the choice of 21T for TT:120.

A lot of minor light railways had varnished teak 4 wheelers . Its a difficult livery to do. I suspect the IWCR coaches should be viewed as generic teak coaches for minor railwqays - I bet quite a few will end up with the IWCR lettering carefully removed on freelance light railways

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, adrianmc said:

Regarding the Tri-ang 0-4-0T, has there been some erroneous posting?

Nellie was the blue locomotive, Connie was the yellow one and Polly the red?

That is correct, I was proud owner of a red "Polly" which I remember being bought from our village toy shop by my parents when I was about 8, if memory serves correctly it cost £2.00. At the time the "Nellie" was also available in blue, but my recollection is that "Connie" was not and may not have been available for as long as the ither two. Nostalgia would certainly "require" I buy a "Polly" even though I have not modelled in OO for 40 plus years 🤔

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
17 minutes ago, adrianmc said:

Regarding the Tri-ang 0-4-0T, has there been some erroneous posting?

Nellie was the blue locomotive, Connie was the yellow one and Polly the red?

IIRC, back in the day, Connie was produced in both yellow and blue at different times.

John

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Anybody able to buy anything direct? I'm just trying to stick my usual Christmas wagon pre-order in and the website just won't have it at the payment section.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Watched the announcement video (wished I hadn't) -are the mk 3's the former oxford ones, I don't recall the Hornby models having that detail at the ends and the coupling is different (I think)?

mark

• Like 1

I wasn’t going to bother with the tiresome ‘nothing in it for me’ post. But it’s actually worse than that. The only pre order I had from last year, the macaw, has been cancelled. Negative one new models for me doesn’t quite have the same ring to it.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

Skaledale R7405  Small Water Tower - that looks like a useful model which will fit into many layouts.  Can someone confirm where the full size version is, please?

John S

• Like 2