RMweb

Hornby 2024 range announcements

AY Mod

12 hours ago, Phil Parker said:

Locomotion isn't just a 3D print either - there are plenty of components already in tooling.

Locomotion Bts.JPG

The clear plastic box at the top is a prototype for the carrying cradle to protect those vulnerable waggly bits in storage/transit.

Looks like the 755 is coming on really nicely! Hopefully it's been spotted that the pantograph is the wrong way around - it shouldn't be overhanging the corridor connection! Great to see all of the other details though.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

The catalogue is an institution . I’ve just ordered mine , along with Februarys Hornby Mag direct from Key .  I don’t see that a few announcements a year alters the catalogue . Simply publish it in January and the next years edition will catch up on the announcements in the year .  I think Bachmann does this with their catalogue .

I hope the announcements to come are genuine surprises. There seem to be 2 planned . I will be a bit miffed if one turns out to be a Welsh FLIRT as we already know about it ! 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Legend said:

The catalogue is an institution . I’ve just ordered mine , along with Februarys Hornby Mag direct from Key .  I don’t see that a few announcements a year alters the catalogue . Simply publish it in January and the next years edition will catch up on the announcements in the year .  I think Bachmann does this with their catalogue .

I hope the announcements to come are genuine surprises. There seem to be 2 planned . I will be a bit miffed if one turns out to be a Welsh FLIRT as we already know about it ! 

Fairly certain by now one will be a black tfw 67. It’s not been officially announced anywhere but they had samples at Warley and it’s included in their progress update. As much as I’d love the other to be a Welsh 231 / 756, I feel their more likely as part of the 2025 range.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Porfuera said:

Apologies for being slightly off-topic...

I'm not expecting a lot more in that, to be honest. The 00 announcement had a lot of emphasis on "catch up" for delayed releases so for April's TT:120 announcement I'm guessing they will just be giving dates for the phase 3 and 4 stuff that's already in the catalogue (or even for the phase 1 and 2 stuff that hasn't been released by then, like the Class 66, HAAs).  Possibly there might be information on developments to come in the future but I'd be surprised if they give any timescales for that.

As you were, folks...

A key factor is that when the initial big TT:120 announcement was made , there was extreme scepticism about how much of it would ever be made.

The atmosphere was such that anything past Phase 2 was liable to be treated as an aspiration or wish-list rather than a real announcement , even by optimists. (The pessimists ranged from those saying  that they did not believe anything beyond the launch range would ever appear to those allowing that some of the Phase 2 items might eventually see the light of day in 5 years or so..). "Vapourware" was a widely used word.

Therefore Hornby need to confirm the go-ahead for the Phase 3 + 4 items and demonstrate that these are actually going into production.

April's announcement will be about liveries, prices and numbers for the items already confirmed but not yet available to preorder. That, I think , will be when they go up  on the website for pre-order. They also need to bulk things out with some more coaches and wagons being confirmed as going into tooling for production, and there may be one or two more locos from the initial list confirmed as going forward for tooling.

By April Hornby might hope to have the first batch of many of the Phase 2 models arriving in modellers' hands; at which point they can start to move on to the later Phases

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, Bryn_Bach_Railway said:

Fairly certain by now one will be a black tfw 67. It’s not been officially announced anywhere but they had samples at Warley and it’s included in their progress update. As much as I’d love the other to be a Welsh 231 / 756, I feel their more likely as part of the 2025 range.

See page 6 of this thread . Is it not coming in April 2024 , announced as part of 2023 range? 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Legend said:

See page 6 of this thread . Is it not coming in April 2024 , announced as part of 2023 range? 

Was never properly announced (can’t be ordered online from Hornby or even viewed). Just added to the website instead of the AWC 805, then after a few months it disappeared again. I did mention it’s listed in the updates of existing products, but so is a GWR Ruston. Hence my belief it will be announced as a “surprise” in a couple months time.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ThaneofFife said:

Well glad I was at work today as "nothing in it for me" .

If I was into long MGR trains I would however be all over those nice looking Railroad MGR wagons at just £20 a pop.  Bit of a bargain.

Seems to be about the only thing thats fits the BR Blue era.  No intercity/executive era stock or locos.

Im also in the "why" camp over the Beatles stuff.   Does anybody recall seeing such items gathering dust in model shops or are the public snapping these models up at a highly successful rate of knots cus Hornby keep churning them out......

My spending money is safe for now.

Because they sell?

Like all the collectables they probably cost very little to make, yet they are the things that people keep aiming their ire at. Don't want them, don't buy them. It really is that simple. They aren't not making the things you want because they've churned out a few cheap wagons.

You do realise that The Beatles are still the biggest band in the world? Go and take a look around Liverpool and parts of London and see how many fans they have. Far more than are fans of Intercity trains.....

Jason

• Like 2
  • Agree 5

19 minutes ago, Brimstone said:

Does Hornby have any future given the negative attitudes, the niche manufactures are the way forward as toy trains have no market.

Does RMWeb have a future given the negative attitudes expressed often seem at odds with the real world?

Plenty of toy trains being sold.  You just need to talk to youngsters at shows (easier to do when manning a desk or a layout....)

Les

Edited by Les1952
  • Like 4

Now, the First Great Western Local Lines 153 is an interesting choice (and for me, potentially welcome choice) - It's been requested for some time, but we're often knocked back with "it's too complicated" despite RealTrack giving it a go on their 143. However, given the poor quality control we saw with the ScotRail 153, it is one I'll sadly have to hold back on until I see one in the flesh. 

Now, if Hornby can finally give it a crack, over to you Bachmann - It's your turn with the 158 & 153 now! 

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

3 hours ago, James Harrison said:

Most of the Airfix announcements are just re-releases though; there only seem to be one or two new toolings.  In the warships range for instance, Iron Duke and Ajax both date from the 1960s.  

I finally get to have a P.1127. Always wanted one of those. 

There's some new stuff in the Hornby International catalogue - there are CAD images of an Italian loco.  

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

28 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

Because they sell?

Like all the collectables they probably cost very little to make, yet they are the things that people keep aiming their ire at. Don't want them, don't buy them. It really is that simple. They aren't not making the things you want because they've churned out a few cheap wagons.

You do realise that The Beatles are still the biggest band in the world? Go and take a look around Liverpool and parts of London and see how many fans they have. Far more than are fans of Intercity trains.....

Jason

Hopefully they do sell, yes. I'm in the "I don't get it" camp with the Beatles range too but if it sells and it keeps the money coming in for Hornby and so increases the likelyhood that they 1) stick around and 2) have an opportunity to produce something else in future that I do want to buy, then I'm all for it. 

If people really weren't buying the products surely they wouldn't keep producing them, this is about the 3rd year I can recall similar lines so some of their customers clearly go for it. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, Compound1000 said:

this is about the 3rd year I can recall similar lines so some of their customers clearly go for it. 

3rd year?

They've been doing it as long as I can remember.

Father's day wagons, Christmas wagons etc. all using geriatric tooling.

They must sell else they wouldn't keep doing it.

They are not aimed at the RMWebber so ignore them.

• Agree 4

• RMweb Gold
54 minutes ago, surfsup said:

Now, the First Great Western Local Lines 153 is an interesting choice (and for me, potentially welcome choice) - It's been requested for some time, but we're often knocked back with "it's too complicated" despite RealTrack giving it a go on their 143. However, given the poor quality control we saw with the ScotRail 153, it is one I'll sadly have to hold back on until I see one in the flesh. 

Now, if Hornby can finally give it a crack, over to you Bachmann - It's your turn with the 158 & 153 now! 

Exactly what I was thinking, given the mess of the ScotRail 153. However, they got it right with the livery application for the older Northern Rail Star livery on the 153s so…you never know!

IMG_8991.png

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, melmerby said:

3rd year?

They've been doing it as long as I can remember.

Father's day wagons, Christmas wagons etc. all using geriatric tooling.

They must sell else they wouldn't keep doing it.

They are not aimed at the RMWebber so ignore them.

I think Compound1000 meant The Beatles wagons.

Probably tied in with the rights to the London buses and taxis, as well as things like The Yellow Submarine. Just think how many Japanese and American tourists pick those up!

Reasonably priced souvenirs that will fit in your luggage and more sought after as they are "official".

Jason

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

2 hours ago, Ravenser said:

A key factor is that when the initial big TT:120 announcement was made , there was extreme scepticism about how much of it would ever be made.

The atmosphere was such that anything past Phase 2 was liable to be treated as an aspiration or wish-list rather than a real announcement , even by optimists.

That's not really my recollection. I think a lot of the optimists (myself included) were broadly in line with and looking forward to what was promised for the original timescales - for example the Class 66 was to be released last summer I think and the 21T minerals were last Jan and the HAAs and TTAs were supposed to be around Spring and Summer. The HST and Class 50 were also supposed to before the end of the year IIRC. Hence the widespread disappointment with the ongoing delays to the original schedule (many of which were admittedly outside Hornby's control).

Therefore Hornby need to confirm the go-ahead for the Phase 3 + 4 items and demonstrate that these are actually going into production.

I don't understand what you're saying here - are you saying here that you think they might shut down the entire TT:120 project? Why would they wait until April to do that? Or are you saying that they may be throwing out the current Phases 3 and 4 and will start with a new schedule from that point?

April's announcement will be about liveries, prices and numbers for the items already confirmed but not yet available to preorder. That, I think , will be when they go up  on the website for pre-order. They also need to bulk things out with some more coaches and wagons being confirmed as going into tooling for production, and there may be one or two more locos from the initial list confirmed as going forward for tooling.

Isn't that exactly what I already said above? That in April they will be giving dates for the Phase 3 and 4 stuff (obviously they'll be estimates) and probably an indication of what will come in later phases but without timescales. And yes they'll probably put then into the shop for preorder.

The liveries are already in the catalogue and I'd be willing to bet that they won't change. Further sets were mentioned in the catalogue and maybe we will get to hear about those as well although I doubt they will be in Phases 3 and 4 because of the ongoing delays but I hope I'll be proved wrong here.

By April Hornby might hope to have the first batch of many of the Phase 2 models arriving in modellers' hands; at which point they can start to move on to the later Phases

Here I'm less optimistic - I don't believe we will have 'many' of the Phase 2 models by April. I think the 21T mineral were Phase 1 and it looks like we'll be lucky to have those by April. The only Phase 2 stuff we might have before April are the TTAs (due last December) and the Intercity Executive HST (due Feb) - the other HST liveries and the sound-fitted HST are currently due in April. The Class 50 are due in April although the GBRf is TBC. My money is on them arriving after April's announcement.

Note: I've left out the steam stuff as I'm not so interested in that so I don't follow those dates closely.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, James Harrison said:

Most of the Airfix announcements are just re-releases though; there only seem to be one or two new toolings.  In the warships range for instance, Iron Duke and Ajax both date from the 1960s.  

10 brand new moulds this year (6 x 1:72 scale, 1 x 1:48 scale 3 x QuickBuild). And confirmation that there will be some surprise releases this year too, as there were in 2022.)

Under Hornby Hobbies, Airfix is thriving and has far more newer moulds than under Humbrol's or Palitoy's ownership.

• Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

And for those of a certain age the two most interesting items from the Airfix announcement!

https://uk.airfix.com/products/guards-colour-party-a00702v

https://uk.airfix.com/products/guards-band-a00701v

I don't think they've made those for decades and ISTR they were once part of the model railway range along with the Civilians set.

Jason

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

I did watch the Hornby announcement and they did say there would be announcements throughout the year but I don’t recall if they mentioned a schedule like how Bachmann do it?

Will they just be announcements of single items ad hoc through the year does anyone know?

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, Legend said:

A largely redundant institution that ceased to be a reliable guide to what we might be able to buy in the year printed on the cover some years ago. That information is found on-line nowadays, and can be kept up to date when circumstances dictate.

The catalogue only retains any real significance as a collectors' item in its own right, and keeping it "as-is" whilst moving to quarterly announcements will only make it even more meaningless.

The way the industry currently works makes the release date pretty irrelevant, and I consider a factual retrospective published late in the year would be much more sensible.

It would provide an accurate guide for collectors, with the advantage of being able to include photos of actual models rather than computer mock-ups.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 5
  • Agree 2