Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Hattons Model Railways to close

AY Mod

Hatton's was my go to when I lived in the UK, and remained so when I moved back to Canada in 2016. Things tapered off some over the past few years, mainly due to pressures outside of their control (Royal Mail and Canada Customs). I have no idea how much they relied on international trade, but their specific mention of Brexit and GST (Australia's new tax rules for importing) lead me to believe it may have been a significant loss. Sad to see.

I do wonder if we might see something vestigal of Hatton's star up in the US under their recently acquired MB Klein operation? Perhaps the pressures that make UK operation more difficult for them are not as significant in the US. 

• Like 2

For me, and probably many of my age group, Hattons is/was more than just another retailer. I remember the old 180 Smithdown Rd shop as a place to visit as a special treat with a railway enthusiast uncle who lived nearby; more recently I have lunched in the restaurant that occupies the later Smithdown Road shop. 

I probably sound stupidly sentimental, but this news is for me at least a shock in the way that no other retailer's demise has been. A David Bowie moment.I hope the staff all find decent new jobs. With a bit of luck some of them may even look back and discover that an enforced change works out better for them.  That was my experience of redundancy and I wish them equal luck.

• Like 5
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, spamcan61 said:

Feels like the model railway equivalent of  Woolworths closing down in some ways.

Except Woolies ran out of money. Just like Wilko.

• Agree 1

Still can’t believe this until I saw it on Facebook first then checked here as I thought it was a joke. I used to use Hattons all the time for pre orders but recent years used derails, rails and kernow. My heart goes out to all the staff 

cheers Craig 

3 hours ago, ToledoRails said:

... is it too soon to wonder what will happen with the Andrew Barclay and 4 & 6 wheeled Genesis coaches after Hattons closes their doors?

They might be chatting with interested parties, the 66 had earlier became an other makers.  

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, melmerby said:

Except Woolies ran out of money. Just like Wilko.

Agreed, that's why I included "in some ways"

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Very sorry to hear this and a sad reflection on the state of the hobby that they don't think they can keep it viable.  My sympathies in this situation are with the staff. 

As the company is evidently still solvent, I'm suprised they have not sold it (or at least a significant part of the business) as a going concern to some other company in the industry.  Perhaps the level of discount they were offering did not give them enough margin to remain profitable - but if so, it would seem likely that a similar problem will affect others in the "box-shifting"  segment of the market.  Whilst I am not suprised that they won't be producing Batch 3 of the Genesis range, I would have thought that it and reruns of other products would have been saleable to some other firm who could buy out their rights and take over future production (at whatever prices they find commercially viable). 

I can't help wondering what has gone wrong for them. They have been known as a retailer, but perhaps their foray into manufacturing with different cashflow requirements has been their commercial downfall?  I suspect there are bits of the business that could somehow have been salvaged even though the whole may not be.

• Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

Very sad news. Hatton’s was my go to retailer for many years until they stopped selling Bachmann and Hornby products, which have been my staple manufacturers until the likes of Accurascale and Rapido came along. The loss of those two manufacturers and the relatively recent supply issues can’t have helped for a business they relies on a large turnover of large volumes of product. Brexit won’t have helped for overseas sales, which I seem to recall reading is a substantial part of Hatton’s sales - not offering DDP to Portugal has meant I for one have gone elsewhere to avoid the hassle.

I do hope this is just a Hatton’s issue and is not a reflection of the state of the market for GB outline model railways. With more direct sales by manufacturers, even if they also supply retailers, and the consequent reduction of the market for retailers to fill, I do wonder if others will face similar decisions in future. I do hope not.

Thank you Hatton’s for your years of selling to me - best wishes to the staff for the future.

• Like 5
  • Agree 1

I feel for all the people at hattons. The loss of a job, friendships workmates and constant location. 

Over the last 30 odd years I have been buying model railways from Hattons and the much missed Mainly Trains. 

Hattons has been the go too from Australian British outline modellers for years. The service and range second to none. I had heard years ago if it wasn't for the Australian sales the business would have been a lot worse off at that time, in one of the many economic down turns. 

I am saddened to hear the decision was partially contributed too by the Australian GST collection. I thought this had been well and truly killed off due to the relatively small scale numbers of model railways. ( For the record, all imports into Australia less than $1000Aud are GST exempt. The exceptions are any thing from eBay and I think Amazon but these sales would total in the millions.) 

I will miss my daily review of the pre-owned email. 

• Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium

Over the last few years prices have climbed quite steeply. Hattons always tried to keep their prices reasonable. But with a cost of living crisis and finances being squeezed it is inevitable that people will have less to spend on the hobby. Sadly, Hattons may not be the last retailer going under.

we can only hope that is not the case, and all those associated with Hattons will find new employment, and hopefully within the industry.

• Agree 1

My thoughts and sympathies are with the staff, it’s their lives and plans that are thrown into the air by this news.

We don’t need model railways to live, no, really we don’t, so this was a business based on selling us a little bit of pleasure and that’s why it feels a sad day when such a venture folds.

• Like 8

Extremely sad news today. Not to mention totally unexpected. I’ve shopped there for roughly 20 years. The last item being an amazing bargain priced RFD 47 and a Loadhaul VDA. They will be sadly missed and leave a huge hole in this hobby. I hope that all the staff are able to find new jobs soon. 

Edited by Rob Wallace
Spelling mistakes.
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

They say all good things come to an end but I never thought that would happen to Hattons.

I have shopped with Hattons mail order  since the late 1960s, and my Father before that since 1957.  My first visit to the shop was in August or September 1973 when I purchased a pre owned Hornby LNER teak coach.

Sorry to hear you are closing and thank you for being there and for your help over the decades.
Colin

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)

In the 'old' days before Brexit. I expect there were a lot of EU customers who, like me, used Hattons as the one stop 'supermarket' for buying both large and small items for modelling British railways abroad. But Brexit put a stop to that. That is not a political  opinion, it is simply a fact. As Hattons themselves mention. I am really sorry for all the people who have lost their livelihoods today. Thanks for all the times you have given us great service.

Edited by Vistisen
  • Like 6
  • Agree 12

1 hour ago, moawkwrd said:

Not to point out the obvious, but with their popularity around the world this can't have helped if they were doing it for all overseas orders...

I'm not sure how it worked and it only applied  to sales to the EU but because they were such a big company they obtained  approved importer status or some such title for orders below £150.00 so that you only paid the standard VAT as you would in UK and the goods came through customs without problems.

All other companies I used deducted UK VAT but then you pay Spanish VAT plus import tax plus post office handling charges before you got your goods which is much more expensive.

• Agree 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

1 hour ago, TheSignalEngineer said:

Totally shocked when a news pop-up appeared on my screen this afternoon. There seem to be a lot of problems about in various trades at the moment. 

Orange bikes have just appointed an administrator, with online shops Wiggle / Chain Reaction having done so a few weeks ago. 

The drop-off in demand across the cycling industry is being attributed to a boom in bicycle sales during the COVID-19 lockdown. There have also been a lot of supply problems due to overseas manufacturing, with companies preferring to supply the EU market rather than Post-Brexit Britain. 

Many industry players have been left with too much stock and a reducing overall demand on top of increasing costs making their problems intolerable. 

My first exposure to Hattons was via RM ads c1959-60. When I got back into the hobby they were my main supplier. Our daughter lived near to the original Smithsdown Road shop for three years. Later I used to visit the second shop whenever I was over in Liverpool, often getting the bus out there then walking to Mossley Hill for a multi leg train journey back to the Dark Peak. I have never visited the Widnes site in person because of the need to drive there and wondered if that would deter others who used the shop in person. At least one person I know who used to walk down to the shop doesn't drive so can't get there on his own.

Your absolutely right about the Cycling industry. UK Distributer More and Large Closed last year as did Isla Bikes, Raleigh is under "restructuring" Cycling sports group in Poole looks to be closing, and something like 200 odd Shops have gone over the last year.  

Seriously worrying  and difficult times in the Retail industry. 

• Like 2

I first dealt with Hattons 65 years ago, trading in some Trix bakelite track against a then-new class 5 (which I still own.) 

I must admit that recently I have been an occasional rather than regular customer, where possible trying to place business with smaller/more local traders offering comparable prices and delivery.  I now wonder if this was wise.

May I add my condolences and best wishes to all staff affected by this news.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 minute ago, PeterStiles said:

I think I'll go give my Hattons Originals a hug; some of the best items I've spent money on...

One can hope that they'll re-emerge some day.

Such a sad announcement. Hattons has made it possible, over the years, for someone residing in the Western United States to acquire RTR and kit stock to even dream of modelling UK outline railways.  My best wishes go out to all Hattons staff-- I've always received top-notch service.

Hattons has had probably the best retail website I've used. All stock very attractively presented.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)

One thing that has become apparent with this thread is you can’t judge how old someone is by their on line profile when you read ‘i first dealt with them 50 years ago’ from someone you visualised as being about 30 years old! 

Edited by big jim
  • Like 6
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 6