Hattons Model Railways to close

AY Mod

3 hours ago, Roy L S said:

I would expect that GDPR regulations would require it to be deleted, information has to be held for a specific purpose and for no longer that necessary. 

It's a little more complicated than that. If part of the business was being sold off as a going concern, then the customer base could be part of that sale. For example, if the manufacturing side of the business were to continue as a new company (which I think is entirely possible, given that it appears to be a profitable sector of the main business and would be reasonably easy to hive off), then the contact details of customers who have bought those products could legitimately be part of the transfer of assets to the new company (at least, the contact details of customers who have both bought those products and agreed to receive marketing communications). But what they can't do is just bundle up their entire customer database and sell it to a different retailer or marketing firm. 

• Agree 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

I have just noticed Hatton's appear to have had some new 00 bits in, some Accurascale MDOs and Revolution JNAs, Hornby Collets, amongst other things. I suspect they won't be around long!

https://www.hattons.co.uk/stocklist/siteresults?search/sources/New/scales/OO/stockstatus/InStock

Edited by TimberValleyRailway
Typo
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

When we bought the intellectual property of a competitor that had gone bust, it came with the customer database. However - 

As explained above, GDPR makes very clear that, in order for a purchaser to rely on consent to use personal data in an acquired customer database for marketing purposes, the purchaser must have been specifically named at the time that data subjects gave their consent.

We kept it as with the nature of our work data has to be retained for a minimum of 40 years, and in some cases permanently - so we are continuing the extinct company's duties as it were. We have had a few of their clients contact us with regard the work that was done for them, in which case we then request a new agreement, but we are very careful not to use any of it for marketing purposes.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
16 hours ago, andyman7 said:

Unfortunately I suspect that the constant escalation in overseas postage costs and bureaucracy was one of the reasons why their business model was becoming unsustainable.

Postage is something that you should bill the customer for anyway, especially for overseas.

Far more likely a bad effect to their business, is falling out of favour with a major supplier and intermittent supplies from another. Along with some makers selling directly off their own web sites and the business model has the cream taken off. Once the cream is gone, that's a downhill slide.

A look back into the past.....

Hattons0564.jpg.1d5950fb7ec83a8471db1604f443364d.jpg

A quarter page Hattons ad from the back pages of Railway Modeller, working through HD surplus 3-rail after the shutdown of production at Binns Road.

This came from the infamous "Modern Image" RM of May 1964!

The other companies represented by adverts on the same page were

• EAMES
  • The Model Shop (Manchester)
  • Caledonia Model Co.

Edited by Hroth
A little more info
  • Like 15

18 minutes ago, Hroth said:

A quarter page Hattons ad from the back pages of Railway Modeller, working through HD surplus 3-rail after the shutdown of production at Binns Road.

This came from the infamous "Modern Image" mag of May 1964!

"Those were the days my friend..............."      I'll leave it to the rest of you to finish that line..

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

15 minutes ago, TEAMYAKIMA said:

"Those were the days my friend..............."      I'll leave it to the rest of you to finish that line..

And the second Hattons shop was yards from the "Penny Lane" roundabout...

Steeped in History.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Hroth said:

57 minutes ago, Hroth said:

Yes, I remember when you could get an RTR loco for two or three quid and you had to write a letter and buy two thruppeny stamps if you needed more info than was on the ad, but at least you didn't have to put a post code on the address.

I note the two bob postage was disproportionately higher then -say 4 or 5% of the cost of a loco.

These days the postage is perhaps only 2% or 3%.

2 hours ago, kevinlms said:

Postage is something that you should bill the customer for anyway, especially for overseas.

Far more likely a bad effect to their business, is falling out of favour with a major supplier and intermittent supplies from another. Along with some makers selling directly off their own web sites and the business model has the cream taken off. Once the cream is gone, that's a downhill slide.

Certainly for me when there preorders went to pot because of these relationships it forced me to look elsewhere and the service and reliability on preorders with those meant I ended up ordering little from Hattons since then. The main benefit of using Hattons was the trunk, but if they didn't get the preorders I wanted then it wasn't really useful.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

I've just had a quick look at early editions of Railway Modeller in the archives. The very first edition of The Railway Modeller (as it was then)  in October 1949 only had six display advertisers:

The Leeds Model Co Ltd
Tyldesley & Holbrook
ERG (Bournemouth) Ltd
Hamblings
The Pritchard Patent Product Co Ltd
Allan Brett Cannon Ltd

Of those, only ERG and Peco (advertising here in their full company name) ring a bell with me, although having had a look at some of them Hamblings (or Hambling's - their use of the apostrophe seemed inconsistent!)  were also advertising in the 1970s.

The earliest RM that I remember reading myself is from March 1975 (which possibly dates me a bit). By then, there was a lot more advertising, so I haven't listed all of them. But those with at least half a page were:

Bradford Barton Railway Books
Hobbytime
Millholme Models *
George E Mellor (GEM)
Railmail
Guy Norris Ltd *
Hattons
Victoria Model Railways
West Coast Scale Models *
Eames
Peco *
Ratio
E L Rosza (Liliput)
Berwyn Hobbies
Hammant & Morgan
Vanguard Models *
M G Sharp Models
W&H Models Ltd
Holt Model Railways
Beatties *

* indicates a full page.

Beatties had the back cover, and was the only advert which included colour printing (not full colour, it was just the same spot colour that the magazine itself used on the front cover).

Oddly enough, I never visited a Beatties store (there weren't any anywhere near where I lived), and I never used them for mail order because other advertisers always had a better offer. But I do remember the online discussions when they went bust in 2001 (because by then, the Internet was a thing, even if RMweb wasn't), and a lot of it bears considerable resemblence to what's been said in this topic.

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Very interesting analysis. A majority of the advertisers were manufacturers/suppliers of kits and bits. Quite different I imagine from what you would find today (I very rarely see RM).

• Agree 1

10 minutes ago, Jol Wilkinson said:

Very interesting analysis. A majority of the advertisers were manufacturers/suppliers of kits and bits. Quite different I imagine from what you would find today (I very rarely see RM).

Quite a few kit manufacturers/suppliers in RM!

I would say well into double figures. In fact I think there are more small suppliers advertised than RTR!

Jason

Edited by Steamport Southport

2 hours ago, Hroth said:

Half of that was still there well into the late 1970s!

Although I think the prices had shot up by then....

Jason

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Hroth said:

I like the ''Given away free with each 3 -rail loco' list which was no doubt comprised of things that Norman had thousands of and was unlikely ever to clear through normal sales 🙂

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, GWR-fan said:

I found several more "essential" items this morning to add to my final trunk.

A thought has recently occurred to me with the closing of the store.  Given the high demand by sites like Google seeking personal data to pinpoint you with,  what will happen to the Hattons customer personal data on their site?  This would be a valuable asset to an organisation.  It includes names,  addresses and payment details of its customers.   I would hope that the data would be erased. 

Under GDPR rules they can't pass it on without your consent.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Michael Hodgson said:

I note the two bob postage was disproportionately higher then -say 4 or 5% of the cost of a loco.

These days the postage is perhaps only 2% or 3%.

Though 2/- is the equivalent of about £1.70 now allowing for inflation.

4 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

Quite a few kit manufacturers/suppliers in RM!

I would say well into double figures. In fact I think there are more small suppliers advertised than RTR!

Jason

Possibly but do you include the retailers who are advertising RTR?  It is very much the case that most of the smaller kit producers products aren't available in model shops. I'll have to get a copy sometime to see.

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, Hroth said:

A quarter page Hattons ad from the back pages of Railway Modeller, working through HD surplus 3-rail after the shutdown of production at Binns Road...

"Hornby-Dublo Chassis. We can send you at once a fully serviced guaranteed complete chassis which you can fit to your own loco body"

Well, isn't that interesting...

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, andyman7 said:

I like the ''Given away free with each 3 -rail loco' list which was no doubt comprised of things that Norman had thousands of and was unlikely ever to clear through normal sales 🙂

This is probably linked to all the diamond crossings that turn up reguarily on e bay even now. 😀

• Funny 1

12 hours ago, andyman7 said:

I remember around 2000ish they were giving away Dapol blue and grey MK2 coaches is you spent X amount. 

• Like 1