End of Warley National Show - but now it's not the end of a show at the NEC.

Graham_Muz

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, TinTracks said:

You're doing well . Ten layouts  maximum is just about my attention span.😆

The length of time I spend on each varies greatly. Seeing a glaring error straight away can make me move on quickly.

• Agree 1

Very sad to learn of this, been going every year since returning to the hobby 8 years ago and previously went several years in a row while at school with likeminded school friends taking the train up.

It was only last year that I finally 'mastered' the parking situation, parking for free at Hampton in Arden station and getting a return on the train for the 1.5 miles to International for a couple of quid. Previously I'd always just parked in the International station long stay carpark for £9.

I had intended to take my daughter to her first Warley last year, originally planning on doing it all by myself in the morning to allow me to do the rounds through all the trade stands without a 2 year old on my shoulders, then popping back home early afternoon and returning with her for a leisurely round of the layouts and displays until the end of the day. But unfortunately she became sick and started vomiting later that morning (just as well I didn't take her with me first thing!) and the trains stopped towards Coventry for around 3 hours in the afternoon anyway with no realistic other way to get back to Hampton until they got running again, so I just went back in and did a few more rounds of the layouts.

So that was that and for me the saddest thing about all this is that I won't be able to share an NEC Warley with my daughter.

The show has legendary status not just in the UK but also internationally. The show is very well known on an Austrian model railway forum I frequent and the other members were always amazed by my poor quality mobile phone photos every year.
Most years I notice plenty of foreign visitors at Warley, last year I noticed some Dutch and German visitors from overhearing people in the trade and continental sections, and I've heard Italian and Slavic languages in the past.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

This year I talked to visitors from Norway, Germany, Belgium and the Czech Republic as well as a lot of UK visitors.. the Norwegian guys have gained a new (if temporary member for their club.. onerous Leeds members is in Norway 9n a student exchange! Amazing who you could meet at Warley.

Baz

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Barry O said:

This year I talked to visitors from Norway, Germany, Belgium and the Czech Republic as well as a lot of UK visitors.. the Norwegian guys have gained a new (if temporary member for their club.. onerous Leeds members is in Norway 9n a student exchange! Amazing who you could meet at Warley.

Baz

And an Australian or two...

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
On 22/01/2024 at 23:42, St Enodoc said:

And an Australian or two...

Was that in addition to the BYOA (Bring Your Own Aussie)?

:-)

Paul.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I enjoyed chatting to punters with various layouts I took, 

With Rhätia it was evoking memories of holidays and fascination with the rocks and that they knew the materials to make them. One chap was a geologist and complemented the observation of rocks and weathering. 
IMG_6267.jpeg.12b3437652bca5ac77059c4961089250.jpeg

Camberwick made me smile when slightly glazed spouses suddenly spotted Pugh, Pugh, Barney McGrew, Cuthbert, Dibble & Grub and stopped the other half mid stride 😆 much fun was had remembering the names!

GscaleCamberwick(3)b.jpeg.3e085aae667caaff44d1aafe85ee6a43.jpegWith Sud Harz BIG it was the faces of the lads on the layout behind us when we put a 32lt crate of cake on the table, “that’s what we need!” 😆

GscaleSudHarz2015(3)b.jpeg.7936533481e9adfe42b2f84a30ff8ef7.jpeg

Lulworth it was our constantly changing bufferstops that delighted many!

Lulworth Castle OO

and Sud Harz, smaller but also far away, it was kids chasing trains along the length of the layout 😁

IMG_1486.jpeg.31bfe532ad792c6e14bd409dfa0728a2.jpeg

Plus a load of friends layouts right up to the 009 village last year, Ian noticing the pub was filling up fast and reserving us a table 👍, bumping into friends on other layouts at lunch, the list just keeps on going. 
I had a ball every year and always nice that Paul J or another steward would pop by to check all was ok. It was a long tiring weekend but always fun. 

• Like 10
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
28 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

Not forgetting Captain Flack.

We didn’t but he wasn’t in the rhyme they remember 😉  

on the right with the whistle 😁

Camberwick Green G scale

• Like 5
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1

Thinking back, I'm glad I attended the 2023 show, not knowing it'd be the last for who knows how long. The memories are hitting different now. The vibes, the layouts, the camaraderie - the 2023 exhibition was unreal. Big shoutout to the organisers that made it special. I put together a video from my visit. Check it out here. It's a great video for those who were there for the final exhibition and a glimpse into the 80 layouts for those who missed out.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Cymru Rails said:

Thinking back, I'm glad I attended the 2023 show, not knowing it'd be the last for who knows how long. The memories are hitting different now. The vibes, the layouts, the camaraderie - the 2023 exhibition was unreal. Big shoutout to the organisers that made it special. I put together a video from my visit. Check it out here. It's a great video for those who were there for the final exhibition and a glimpse into the 80 layouts for those who missed out.

Thanks.

I expect one of the magazines will put on a new version of a National show. It will almost certainly not have as many layouts because bringing 90 good quality layouts together is very expensive and a business running a big show will always have to concentrate on making a profit. This means the ratio of layouts to trade stands will be lower than the ratio chosen by Warley club. This is not a criticism, merely the reality of business life. I believe there is both room for a new National exhibition and desire from modellers for such a show. I really don't know but I would be very surprised if one or two organisations aren't already deep in negotiations with the NEC. If a new National exhibition comes along it will be a good thing for the hobby.

In the meantime I am still amazed that Warley club managed to find the right people from its membership to keep the Warley National going for 30 years. That is one fantastic achievement.  There is an article about called "Death of the model railway?" in The Critic magazine by Richard Bratby which makes for a good read. I hope it is ok to quote one line of his article here - "It’s as if, for the last three decades, the Eurovision Song Contest had been organised by the Danebury Metal Detecting Club". 

Warley club is sound and, whilst it has no need to put on future exhibitions, there is a good possibility that a smaller Warley show will pop up sometime.

• Like 10
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

I was on a Zoom meeting last night with fellow 009 modellers. At one point the Warley show with the L & B theme with the loco 'LYD' as a centrepiece came up. This was the first year that I took a layout to the NEC. Prior to that I had heard horror stories about getting in and out with layouts. I was pleasantly surprised how easy and quick it was and much the same in subsequent years. That first show the NEC security were like the Gestapo but since then the ones that we have dealt with have all been very pleasant and helpful. The last few shows I have been doing demo so we didnt even require access with our vehicle.

As other have said its the chatting with visitors and other exhibitors that I will remember. I remember when we took out Czech layout that we had so many people who's partners etc were from the Czech Republic and Slovakia. Often we could have done with more operators on the layouts so that we could engage with more visitors. With the demo stand sometimes we could have done with a waiting area and ticket sytem🙂.

• Like 9
  • Agree 1

6 hours ago, Chris M said:

There is an article about called "Death of the model railway?" in The Critic magazine by Richard Bratby which makes for a good read. I hope it is ok to quote one line of his article here - "It’s as if, for the last three decades, the Eurovision Song Contest had been organised by the Danebury Metal Detecting Club". 

The article is available on their website:

https://thecritic.co.uk/death-of-the-model-railway/

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • AY Mod changed the title to End of Warley National Model Railway Show NEC - but now it's not the end of of a show at the NEC.
  • RMweb Gold
35 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

A little announcement up at Doncaster this weekend.

So that's the end of the end.

20240209_125740.jpg

Further information in due course.

Good job I didn’t cancel my leave that weekend, so that’s in the diary  😎

• Like 8
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 30/01/2024 at 07:12, Chris M said:

There is an article about called "Death of the model railway?" in The Critic magazine by Richard Bratby which makes for a good read. I hope it is ok to quote one line of his article here - "It’s as if, for the last three decades, the Eurovision Song Contest had been organised by the Danebury Metal Detecting Club". 

As both a Eurovision fan and railway modeller, I fully endorse this.  How Warley managed to organise an annual spectacular on an industrial scale will forever be a source of wonder.  (PS, going off piste, Bachmann will you get off your backsides and get a licence from the EBU/BBC/UA:PBC to produce 350104 in it's Liverpool Eurovision livery?  I'm sure I'm not the only occupant of the intersection in the Venn Diagram of Eurovision fans and fans of Desiros)

Also well done to Warners for taking on the mantle of organising Son of Warley.  Assuming the weather plays ball (November has a good chance of seeing the roads and railway line from Wales to the Midlands being washed downstream to the Severn estuary) I might be able to get over to see the new show.

• Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• AY Mod changed the title to End of Warley National Show - but now it's not the end of a show at the NEC.
  • RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

Thank you; the phone's been buzzing all afternoon with 100% positivity from the trade over a national showcase event for the hobby continuing.

HUGE AMOUNTS of work to do now within the team!

fixed that for you!!!

Baz

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

Thank you; the phone's been buzzing all afternoon with 100% positivity from the trade over a national showcase event for the hobby continuing.

Lots of work to do now within the team!

Any idea yet what size it will be?

• Like 1