Andrew Barclay 'Caledonia' 0-4-0 Fireless from Rapido - Pre-order now available

RapidoCorbs

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, RapidoCorbs said:

Thank you, the team is very pleased with the design so far.

The blue one is effectively 'Gamma' without the name or the logo on the nose :) 

@RapidoCorbs - the team should be pleased, it's a little beauty! I'll be after the Bowaters Kent and Shell Mex models, I think, but which of the offered variants would you recommend as most suitable for adaptation to Heysham No. 2 (either as preserved at Ribble or working at Lancaster)? TIA

1 hour ago, JamFjord said:

@RapidoCorbs - the team should be pleased, it's a little beauty! I'll be after the Bowaters Kent and Shell Mex models, I think, but which of the offered variants would you recommend as most suitable for adaptation to Heysham No. 2 (either as preserved at Ribble or working at Lancaster)? TIA

Heysham No.2 was works no. 1950, delivered in 1928 - as such, it carries the features of the earlier locos, including the earlier short buffer guides, and the vertical reservoir supports/covers. It has no reducing valve. The closest one in the range is probably 965002 or 965003, though both have a reducing valve fitted.

For No.2, you may wish to add cab front handholds, a whistle, and of course the alternative routing of the charge pipe - though looking at how it's constructed (scalloped sections of straight pipe with lots of joins) I'm not sure I'd want to be standing too close to it when it was under pressure! That might be a preservation thing as "in-service" photos of it show a thinner pipe.

IMG_20220716_141205.jpg.52d8b8c5b592de2fe741c895aabd2eb8.jpg

(my photo)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
23 minutes ago, rapidoTom said:

.... the alternative routing of the charge pipe - though looking at how it's constructed (scalloped sections of straight pipe with lots of joins) I'm not sure I'd want to be standing too close to it when it was under pressure! That might be a preservation thing as "in-service" photos of it show a thinner pipe.

Could what appears to be a thicker pipe actually be lagging and cover over the original thinner one?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Neil said:

Could what appears to be a thicker pipe actually be lagging and cover over the original thinner one?

In the older photos it appears to have a thinner pipe, with lagging over the section near the valve - in preservation it looks like the whole thing is metal, so may well be cosmetic only.

Apologies, but I can't post the older images on here as I'm not sure what the copyright is on those, wouldn't want to offend the original owners who have kindly lent us their photos to help develop the models!

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Captain Kernow said:

Together with two pints of lager and a packet of crisps?

(please)

Lager?!? I was in the pub about 200 yards later for lunch! 😁

• Like 2

I think I'm developing a bit of a problem as a result of Rapido - until last year I'd never pre-ordered a new loco/expensive piece of stock, yet now it looks like I'll have 4 on the go! A question though from someone who isn't overly familiar with fireless locos - of the two 'generic' liveried models (the lined maroon and Caledonian blue versions), which is more suited to the 1950s in terms of detail differences? Whilst I wouldn't personally know the difference, it would be nice to know that it is 'right'! I know little enough about these that the differences between the two may not preclude either being used for this period, but given the huge lifespan of the prototypes and the fact that Rapido have evidently gone to the trouble of tooling differences I presume these generic examples represent slightly different eras? Apologies if I've missed the answer to this elsewhere

Edited by Frappington Jct

Lovely announcement and a prototype I've been waiting for someone to pick off ever since the industrial-mania kicked off with the Pecketts. I went in looking for a beautifully lined showroom livery and yet surprisingly find myself most swayed by the Croda example. Despite a fair few silvers and greys, this is the first white steam loco I can recall seeing in model form!

There are a few resources online covering the Croda loco in the 70s and 80s, but nothing I can find of the 90s, except multiple statements that it lasted into them. I'm reading that the track which it called home was lifted in 94, I wonder how close to that date it managed to last in service. Would be keen to see any detail on those final few years and the move into preservation.

13 hours ago, Frappington Jct said:

- of the two 'generic' liveried models (the lined maroon and Caledonian blue versions), which is more suited to the 1950s in terms of detail differences? Whilst I wouldn't personally know the difference, it would be nice to know that it is 'right'! I know little enough about these that the differences between the two may not preclude either being used for this period, but given the huge lifespan of the prototypes and the fact that Rapido have evidently gone to the trouble of tooling differences I presume these generic examples represent slightly different eras?

The blue lined loco represents an earlier example - the features on it were typical of locos built in the 1920s. The red lined loco has features typical of the 1940s, so either (or both!) would be suitable for the 1950s. Both types were in use for decades afterwards as well. Having said that, the differences are minimal - it's testament to the original design that it was built for so long with very minor alterations!

11 hours ago, Tiny151 said:

There are a few resources online covering the Croda loco in the 70s and 80s, but nothing I can find of the 90s, except multiple statements that it lasted into them. I'm reading that the track which it called home was lifted in 94, I wonder how close to that date it managed to last in service. Would be keen to see any detail on those final few years and the move into preservation.

We had similar difficulty finding exactly when Croda ceased rail operations - one commenter (on Twitter of all places) says it was used right up until the track was lifted, but doesn't cite a source for that info, so we've not called it definite. Multiple sources say the track was lifted and the loco moved to Telford in '94 so we're confident it wasn't used past that!

The fireless at Glaxo was used a couple of times a week up to 1991 according to an article from mdrs.org.uk, when a Class 08 was adapted for use inside the factory and took over its duties - that loco went to Steamtown so I'm not sure if it's still extant.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

A tremendous announcement! Details have been emerging bit by bit, such as the two generics* not having works numbers quoted and two models being of the same locomotive at different stages in their lives†. It’s a shame that the two most attractive liveries are generic (personal opinion). What brought me up short was the decoder socket: E24. I’d never heard of it. So far as I can ascertain, it’s a standard mobile phone socket which, as the name implies, offers more connections and the decoders are more compact. So far, only ESU supply suitable decoders.

*965002 and 965010.

†965004 & 965007 and 965008 & 965009.

37 minutes ago, No Decorum said:

A tremendous announcement! Details have been emerging bit by bit, such as the two generics* not having works numbers quoted and two models being of the same locomotive at different stages in their lives†. It’s a shame that the two most attractive liveries are generic (personal opinion). What brought me up short was the decoder socket: E24. I’d never heard of it. So far as I can ascertain, it’s a standard mobile phone socket which, as the name implies, offers more connections and the decoders are more compact. So far, only ESU supply suitable decoders.

*965002 and 965010.

965002 is basically Colmans 'Gamma' as discussed up-thread, but without the Colmans logo or name. These could easily be added with some custom transfers.

The livery carried by 965010 matches that applied to these two locos:

AB 1772 of 1922 'No.1', Freemans Meadow Power Station, Leicester; withdrawn 1972 and preserved for a decade before being scrapped.

AB 1815 of 1924 'No.2', Freemans Meadow Power Station, Leicester; withdrawn 1972 and preserved, latterly at Snibston museum which has since closed.

As seen for example in this photo by Gordon Edgar on Flickr:

Freeman's Meadow Power Station

However, those two locos were to a slightly earlier design: the frames and bufferbeam were a different shape and the cab steps were more elaborate. The steam filler pipe was positioned differently too.

So I think Rapido are doing the right thing in offering the livery as a generic rather than claiming it's an exact model of these earlier locos. It is nevertheless an attractive and genuine livery for a Barclay fireless of this general type. The disappointing thing with the model though is that it appears to have the water tank, which was only ever fitted to one loco (AB 2126) that is already the subject of two models in the range! It would be better to omit that.

965010_Right-1-600x338.png.fcc12c8f6b6d6b4f58534d12cd97fe13.png

I'd imagine that some of the liveries might have had issues with permission to use the brand - Colmans, Boots, Monsanto, Glaxo, BP and Shell are all still household names.

965004 did run without Shell logos as modelled, and with Shell logos later. Again these could be added with transfers fairly easily.

Murray Liston photo on Flickr, with the logos:

Fireless and Sunless at Ardrossan 1

Edited by Mol_PMB
added pic of red model loco
  • Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

10 hours ago, rapidoTom said:

We had similar difficulty finding exactly when Croda ceased rail operations - one commenter (on Twitter of all places) says it was used right up until the track was lifted, but doesn't cite a source for that info, so we've not called it definite. Multiple sources say the track was lifted and the loco moved to Telford in '94 so we're confident it wasn't used past that!

The fireless at Glaxo was used a couple of times a week up to 1991 according to an article from mdrs.org.uk, when a Class 08 was adapted for use inside the factory and took over its duties - that loco went to Steamtown so I'm not sure if it's still extant.

Thanks Tom, really interesting. Following a bit of a dive into the Fireless Locomotive Group on Facebook I've been able to turn up a quite detailed account from a Nick Kelly.

Nick tells how the loco was in service at Four Ashes until June 1992 when it was withdrawn following a collision with a bogie tank. The incident is explained as being caused by the driver mistaking the light of a trespassing dog walker for that of the shunter! Supposedly repair was considered, but with the system due to shut down by the end of that year as a result of BR imposed costs, rail traffic was ceased there and then. Nick claims this made the former Gamma the penultimate working industrial steam locomotive in the UK, outlasted only by Andrew Barclay 2268 Glaxo at Ulverston.

On the topic of Glaxo, Nick claims definitively that this loco lasted until 19th September 1992, when at the end of the shift he watched it drive itself onto a low loader and off into preservation! A 2019 dated snap of Glaxo at Carnforth is the latest I've found, along with a claim of it being eyed up for a cosmetic restoration and display back near it's old stomping ground, though all quiet on that front it seems. With these historic credentials, perhaps Glaxo could be an interesting identity for a future batch!

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

This is another example of why, while I am just so bored by Hornby and Bachmann announcements these days, my interest is kept alive by the likes of Accurascale and, pre-eminently, by Rapido.

Another three cheers.

Aside from the odd L&M release (and laterly that range has included a lot of dross) I can say honestly say that nothing Hornby has announced since the Peckett W4 has made me feel enthusiasm. Bachmann's only interesting releases in recent years are things that commissioners have, eventually, been able to beat out of them. In general, though, it's just same old same old, or in the case of Hornby, yet another LNER pacific. I am jaundiced; toy makers who later learnt to make some very good models (others less so), but who seem to lack imagination, passion or originality these days. Hornby in particular has been a lazy copycat and milker of ancient dross, while the most interesting thing about Bachmann's most recent announcement was the company's questionable use of the Youtube copyright strike system to silence a critic. Thanks to Sam's Trains for bringing to my attention this travesty meted out on a fellow Youtuber. 

Accurascale and Rapido, by contrast, strike me as passionate and enthusiastic model makers. That is unfair, no doubt, to many passionate and knowledgeable folk working for Bachmann and Hornby, but all I have to go on is the overall impression these behemoths create. That impression is, I would say, lacklustre. Let's hope that, instead of spoilers, the competition bucks up the sleepy old giants of the industry to be more creative (though not in the 'Basset Lowke' sense, Heaven forefend). 

In the meantime, Rapido in particular has developed a knack of coming up with interesting, exciting, yet also useful releases. What a great sequel to the MW L Class and the Port of Par locos in these terms.

We never know what Rapido is going to do next. It's always worth hearing though. Thank you, Rapido, once again for warming my old, cold, bitter heart with the simple childlike joy your products engender. 

As something introduced in 1913, the fireless only just squeaks within my period of interest, but I am strongly tempted. l  wonder how the earliest of these compared with the later-built ones? How early can you go with the announced versions?

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

3 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

As something introduced in 1913, the fireless only just squeaks within my period of interest, but I am strongly tempted. l  wonder how the earliest of these compared with the later-built ones? How early can you go with the announced versions?

Can I link this again to help you?

In particular this post. The first of the Barclay 5'6" wheelbase fireless locos was built in 1917. This was the predecessor of the type modelled by Rapido but was similar in basic dimensions and appearance:

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, SteveyDee68 said:

I remain hopeful 🤞 that Rapido will unexpectedly announce the Wagon-Lits Type F Sleeper Coach in OO, which would (I am sure) be hoovered up by lots of modellers with Hornby West Country/Battle of Britain/Merchant Navy locos! It’s been a wide open goal that Hornby have ignored for years and I suspect Rapido might be the ones to score a goal with a RTR model (just one coach, very slight differences) and maybe even follow up with Fourgons to match!!

I can dream!

Steve S

A guard's van at the end of a train, rather a fourgon conclusion.

• Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
On 16/02/2024 at 16:26, rapidoTom said:

Heysham No.2 was works no. 1950, delivered in 1928 - as such, it carries the features of the earlier locos, including the earlier short buffer guides, and the vertical reservoir supports/covers. It has no reducing valve. The closest one in the range is probably 965002 or 965003, though both have a reducing valve fitted.

For No.2, you may wish to add cab front handholds, a whistle, and of course the alternative routing of the charge pipe - though looking at how it's constructed (scalloped sections of straight pipe with lots of joins) I'm not sure I'd want to be standing too close to it when it was under pressure! That might be a preservation thing as "in-service" photos of it show a thinner pipe.

(my photo)

Thank you @rapidoTom and @Neil - that would work for me. 965502 it is. The different charging pipework shouldn't be too much of a challenge even for me. In any case I'd imagine there will be 3D printed details on the market within seconds of these being delivered.

On the subject of Heysham No.2 my understanding is that she hasn't been, err, in steam (? charged?) in preservation, but Jason @Steamport Southport can probably tell us for sure. One of my many favourites at Ribble... I do love that place.

On 17/02/2024 at 12:18, Mol_PMB said:

965004 did run without Shell logos as modelled, and with Shell logos later. Again these could be added with transfers fairly easily.

Economical source of logos, if of interest:

https://blacksquaredecals.co.uk/Miscellaneous-Products/Generic-Decals/Generic-Decals-Shell-New-8mm

Also available in 10mm and 15mm sizes.

No connection, just happy customer (I've used the Gulf logos from BSD, very nice). 

Edited by Halvarras
Oh - they can't get US-spec Johnson's Klear any more - good job I bought two bottles then!
  • Like 1

On 17/02/2024 at 11:45, No Decorum said:

*965002 and 965010.

On 17/02/2024 at 12:18, Mol_PMB said:

965002 is basically Colmans 'Gamma' as discussed up-thread, but without the Colmans logo or name. These could easily be added with some custom transfers.

The livery carried by 965010 matches that applied to these two locos:

AB 1772 of 1922 'No.1', Freemans Meadow Power Station, Leicester; withdrawn 1972 and preserved for a decade before being scrapped.

AB 1815 of 1924 'No.2', Freemans Meadow Power Station, Leicester; withdrawn 1972 and preserved, latterly at Snibston museum which has since closed.

As seen for example in this photo by Gordon Edgar on Flickr:

Freeman's Meadow Power Station

However, those two locos were to a slightly earlier design: the frames and bufferbeam were a different shape and the cab steps were more elaborate. The steam filler pipe was positioned differently too.

So I think Rapido are doing the right thing in offering the livery as a generic rather than claiming it's an exact model of these earlier locos. It is nevertheless an attractive and genuine livery for a Barclay fireless of this general type. The disappointing thing with the model though is that it appears to have the water tank, which was only ever fitted to one loco (AB 2126) that is already the subject of two models in the range! It would be better to omit that.

965010_Right-1-600x338.png.fcc12c8f6b6d6b4f58534d12cd97fe13.png

I'd imagine that some of the liveries might have had issues with permission to use the brand - Colmans, Boots, Monsanto, Glaxo, BP and Shell are all still household names.

On 16/02/2024 at 12:30, RateTheFreight said:

If I wanted to purchase one to base (loosely given there isn’t an exact model yet) on the Colman Mustard works ‘Gamma’ would I be best plumping for the ‘Caledonia Blue’ version or ‘yellow’ (appreciating this represents a Shell livery) or one of the others? 

They all look delightful.  

Well I have given it some thought and think I am going to adopt the Rapido way of thinking.

My modelling basically centres on the 1960-974ish period in South Staffordshire. One of the flows of traffic used Midlands Tar Distillers tank wagons, which were black with white insignia. 

The Four Ashes plant was established by Midland Tar Distillers prior to purchase by Croda Chemicals, so my mind is set on a Caledonia Fireless loco painted black with Midland Tar Distillers signwriting, based on the asssumption that MTD acquired "Gamma" a little earlier in it's life.

Think I need to email Mr Isherwood for some transfers.  

Edited by Covkid
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Covkid said:

The Four Ashes plant was established by Midland Tar Distillers prior to purchase by Croda Chemicals, so my mind is set on a Caledonia Fireless loco painted black with Midland Tar Distillers signwriting, based on the asssumption that MTD acquired "Gamma" a little earlier in it's life.

Lined green would be an alternative, going by the livery of this MTD Fowler (photo by Gordon Edgar on Flickr):

H.W. Robinson

Also note the interesting elliptical anchor-mount tanks left and right of the image.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Mol_PMB said:

Lined green would be an alternative, going by the livery of this MTD Fowler (photo by Gordon Edgar on Flickr):

H.W. Robinson

Also note the interesting elliptical anchor-mount tanks left and right of the image.

Mmmm Nice.  Not seen that piccie before.  

That possibly needs another rethink !!!!

Oh and while you are at it Rapido.  Isn't that loco cute !!!!

• Agree 2
  • Funny 1

9 minutes ago, Covkid said:

Oh and while you are at it Rapido.  Isn't that loco cute !!!!

It's a Fowler 410, similar to the former O gauge model by Ixion. Several survive in preservation. It was while researching for my O gauge model that I came across that nice image at Midland Tar Distillers.

12 hours ago, JamFjord said:

Thank you @rapidoTom and @Neil - that would work for me. 965502 it is. The different charging pipework shouldn't be too much of a challenge even for me. In any case I'd imagine there will be 3D printed details on the market within seconds of these being delivered.

On the subject of Heysham No.2 my understanding is that she hasn't been, err, in steam (? charged?) in preservation, but Jason @Steamport Southport can probably tell us for sure. One of my many favourites at Ribble... I do love that place.

I don't think it has steamed in preservation. There were plans to steam it using steam from a Sentinel though as that had higher boiler pressure and had a steam lance fitted. But I don't think anyone tried it.

Jason

• Thanks 1

As fireless engines don't have boilers, they won't need boiler certificates.  Is there some equivalent requirement for the safety of the pressure vessel to be inspected/tested periodically ?

Do they have a safety valve to prevent over-pressurisation on refilling?

As there's no fire, were they usually single-manned?

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Michael Hodgson said:

As fireless engines don't have boilers, they won't need boiler certificates.  Is there some equivalent requirement for the safety of the pressure vessel to be inspected/tested periodically ?

Do they have a safety valve to prevent over-pressurisation on refilling?

As there's no fire, were they usually single-manned?

I would assume so as the steam used was high pressure.

Therefore I think there is a safety valve. Many photos seem like the steam is coming from one that is possibly in the cab.

Possibly. But I would expect there to be what we would think of as a "second man" for things like uncoupling and to help when refuelling. Probably a young lad.

Jason