Andrew Barclay 'Caledonia' 0-4-0 Fireless from Rapido - Pre-order now available

RapidoCorbs

15 hours ago, The Johnster said:

There is some industry besides the colliery, but nothing that would justify a loco, never mind a fireless ... but this doesn’t present a fire or food contamination list.

Doesn't need to have a fire or food contamination risk, it just needs to have enough high pressure steam available to make that more attractive than having to buy in coal.

Admittedly I'm struggling to think of anything smaller than a power station where that might apply !

I will be having one of these. I have no need of one but it was my first attempt at scratchbuilding a loco 40 years ago. 

20240211_192528.jpg.73290bac1db7a74d5314b57373c81e20.jpg

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

A fireless loco is not really a "contamination risk".

It's the "air" it's working in that has to take president.

Obviously oil, petrochemicals, munitions factories pose such a risk but factories with high levels of "airborne" dust pose just as much as an explosive atmosphere - such as tissue paper mills and flour mills. (Even coal dust is dangerous.) These are VERY explosive!

Fireless locos are also an advantage when there is a (seemingly) "free" source of high pressure boiling water - such as power stations. then they become "convenient", clean and cheap to run.

Kev.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SHMD said:

A fireless loco is not really a "contamination risk".

It's the "air" it's working in that has to take president.

Obviously oil, petrochemicals, munitions factories pose such a risk but factories with high levels of "airborne" dust pose just as much as an explosive atmosphere - such as tissue paper mills and flour mills. (Even coal dust is dangerous.) These are VERY explosive!

Fireless locos are also an advantage when there is a (seemingly) "free" source of high pressure boiling water - such as power stations. then they become "convenient", clean and cheap to run.

Kev.

I think he meant normal locomotives being a contamination risk.

Huntley & Palmers used one to go into the factory but the normal locomotives were banned.

Unfortunately not a Barclay, but a Bagnall. 

https://preservedbritishsteamlocomotives.com/w-g-bagnall-works-no-2473-huntley-palmer-no-2-0-4-0f/

Jason

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Fredo said:

Hi,

Saw the announcement, which of the models will be suitable for the period 1958-61.Thanks Fred

The entire class (listed in the post linked below) were in service during this period, so potentially any of them. However, the more dramatic liveries (white, yellow) belong to a slightly later period.

• Like 1

On 11/02/2024 at 05:56, Sir Roland Matthews said:

As Rapido are in Kent, did the team use the loco preserved at Kemsley Down as a source of measurements, No 1 of 1924?

I understand they may have used AB1952/1928, which is in working condition at the Doon Valley Railway.  965004 and 965007 appear to represent that locomotive.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

As usual ... late to the party ... despite carrying my BRM showguide around all Sat afternoon and supposedly 'reading' the contents on Sun I failed to pick up on this very welcome news until this morning !

965006 a definite for me and one other yet to be decided as I've loved these little locos for years and have enjoyed watching the clips that people have posted. Not used at the place I am basing a little shunting puzzle project on but as my version will be under a different name I can easily make room for the fireless locos as they were used in the same industry elsewhere.

Looking forward to these arriving. Well done Rapido.

Regards,

Ian.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
On 10/02/2024 at 12:26, Mol_PMB said:

Fireless and Sunless at Ardrossan 1

On 10/02/2024 at 13:55, Ruston said:

The only question is which livery to choose...

I reckon a yellow one weathered like the above, to your excellent standards, would look fantastic. Complete with the traffic cone, obviously...

• Like 6

On 11/02/2024 at 22:31, Steamport Southport said:

I think he meant normal locomotives being a contamination risk.

Huntley & Palmers used one to go into the factory but the normal locomotives were banned.

Unfortunately not a Barclay, but a Bagnall. 

https://preservedbritishsteamlocomotives.com/w-g-bagnall-works-no-2473-huntley-palmer-no-2-0-4-0f/

Jason

Thank you Jason, this answers the question I had about a fireless loco I saw (and photographed I think) at GWS Didcot in late 1972, before I got around to asking it!

On 11/02/2024 at 14:30, rapidoandy said:

Hi James.

I dont have the source here but believe Gamma was delivered in blue lined black and yelllow - but with the Colmans bull on the nose. We have used this as the basis of 965002 both physically and the livery.

Excellent, thank you!

- James

• RMweb Gold

So, apparently this was the second poorly kept secret from Doncaster and before that went completely over my head (the first being Warley>Warner). I blame the efficiency of the door staff keeping the queue moving which meant I didn't get time to read the show special issue of BRM.

In any case I couldn't be happier about this announcement - a Barclay Fireless has been on my wishlist for some time. There's a pretty good chance I'll be getting more than one. It's also good news from the perspective that it saves me ruining one of my Hattons AB in my (probably ill-fated) quest to recreate Heysham No 2 https://ribblesteam.org.uk/exhibits/steam/andrew-barclay-1950-1928-heysham-no-2/

That was never going to end well...

• Like 2

• RapidoCorbs changed the title to Andrew Barclay 'Caledonia' 0-4-0 Fireless from Rapido - Pre-order now available

If I wanted to purchase one to base (loosely given there isn’t an exact model yet) on the Colman Mustard works ‘Gamma’ would I be best plumping for the ‘Caledonia Blue’ version or ‘yellow’ (appreciating this represents a Shell livery) or one of the others? 

They all look delightful. 

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, RateTheFreight said:

If I wanted to purchase one to base (loosely given there isn’t an exact model yet) on the Colman Mustard works ‘Gamma’ would I be best plumping for the ‘Caledonia Blue’ version or ‘yellow’ (appreciating this represents a Shell livery) or one of the others? 

They all look delightful. 

Thank you, the team is very pleased with the design so far.

The blue one is effectively 'Gamma' without the name or the logo on the nose :) 

• Thanks 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

Thanks for confirming; pre-order duly placed. Now I just need to track down a rake of the Hornby Colman coal wagons and we’re in business for a smart industrial micro! The Caledonian blue will likely be joined by a stable mate too. 

• RMweb Premium
34 minutes ago, JShow said:

When is Rapido hoping these will be in our eager hands? 

We get asked this all the time and it's difficult to answer. Within the next 18 months is what we would hope.

• Thanks 2

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, RapidoCorbs said:

We get asked this all the time and it's difficult to answer. Within the next 18 months is what we would hope.

Popped in my local on the way home and ordered two :) 

• Like 1

On 11/02/2024 at 05:56, Sir Roland Matthews said:

As Rapido are in Kent, did the team use the loco preserved at Kemsley Down as a source of measurements, No 1 of 1924?

Asking as a former SKLR volunteer 😁 and a big fan of the other fireless loco there, 2ft 6" "Unique" of 1924. SKLR_No1.JPG

Not as our primary source, but it did provide some very useful photos of the reducing valve, seen in front of the cab - they were always covered on the historic photos!

We also had works drawings for a number of locos, and photo surveyed a couple of others at other sites. 

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1