Andrew Barclay 'Caledonia' 0-4-0 Fireless from Rapido - Pre-order now available

RapidoCorbs

3 minutes ago, Watto1990 said:

Wow! I don’t think anyone was expecting this announcement. Small and ugly industrials are a real weakness of mine and I’m looking forward to preorders opening!

They're not ugly!  Though I don't go a lot on the white or yellow liveries, doesn't feel right on a steam engine somehow, even though they wouldn't get as mucky as coal fired locos.

1 hour ago, RapidoCorbs said:

Its lack of a firebox requires its cylinders to be rear-mounted both to improve efficiency and redistribute the weight of the loco,

Thank you.  That observation is a subtlety I'd never thought about.

• Like 3

• Moderators
14 minutes ago, Michael Hodgson said:

Though I don't go a lot on the white

The Cream Soda can is top of my list as a local loco that I used to see most days on a rail trip.

I can recall the smell of Four Ashes right now just looking at the pic.

• Like 7
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Oh my goodness!

I find myself agreeing with @Captain Kernow but also with @Watto1990 and also @HExpressD

As a self declared shunting loco addict, I can see a few “hits” already* in the images posted! And to think I’ve been manfully resisting the drip fed adverts and subliminal temptation of the NCB Port of Par loco!

Now I am just keeping my fingers crossed that RAPIDO haven’t inadvertently duplicated PLANET INDUSTRIAL’s next project! 🫢

Steve S

* 965002 (quasi PLA livery), 965007 and 965010 - did I say a few?! 😆

• Like 4

1 minute ago, SteveyDee68 said:

Now I am just keeping my fingers crossed that RAPIDO haven’t inadvertently duplicated PLANET INDUSTRIAL’s next project! 🫢

Steve S

* 965002 (quasi PLA livery), 965007 and 965010 - did I say a few?! 😆

That's an inherent risk in the way the industry works.  I welcome the competition as it keeps prices from rising even more than they otherwise would but I do feel sorry for any small manufacturer who happens to fall foul of this.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, RapidoCorbs said:

AB1944-1927-MP1-Croda-Hydrocarbons-Four-Ashes-1979-copyright-Gordon-Edgar-collection.jpg.b17bff5fd8cda1ac508cc8a1197dbc16.jpg

Andrew Barclay 0-4-0 fireless 'MP1' (Works No.1944 built in 1927) in 1979 © Gordon Edgar collection - with thanks.

Also how tempted are you to do a special of this with the letters changed to "Corbs"?

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 14

• RMweb Premium

Excellent choice of prototype.  Like others on here I cannot resist shunting locos, and this is one of my favourite prototypes.  Well done Rapido.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Captain Kernow said:

Rapido seems to be becoming the main producer of 4mm RTR industrials in the UK!

All converted from Pugs and Nellies in a secret underground workshop.

• Funny 13

• RMweb Gold

I'm definitely having one of these.

In the village where I grew up in, we had a "fireless" loco, and I was always fascinated as to how it could possible work for more than a minute!

I also recommend visiting Mol_PMB's thread, linked to above, as it has ALL the info you could possibly want (well nearly) on Fireless locos - including how they work and for how long.

Well done Rapido.

Kev.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, big jim said:

the white/green one is suitably hideous

I'm sure you'll have driven past it's old home a thousand times if that counts as an excuse.

28 minutes ago, big jim said:

Very nice, just need to choose which one to buy though, quite taken by the yellow one but the white/green one is suitably hideous but appealing at the same time 

There were at least two yellow ones, it looks like the Rapido model is the Ardrossan example.

Murray Liston photo shows AB 1952 at Ardrossan Refinery, 1981:

Fireless and Sunless at Ardrossan 1

Paul Bryson photo shows AB 1966 at Monsanto Chemicals, Newport, 1972.

IndSt16

The Monsanto loco had previously worked at Colmans of Norwich, as seen here, but I can't help wondering if it was later painted mustard-colour in Norwich before its move to Newport:

article-2717690-204CC89100000578-908_964

Mol

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Excellent News. 

Bowaters No 1 for me. Although I must admit I cannot find a photo of her in the Brownish red of the model. Do we know when she was like this please?

Every photo I've seen is either green or green with white.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1