Andrew Barclay 'Caledonia' 0-4-0 Fireless from Rapido - Pre-order now available

RapidoCorbs

5 hours ago, Michael Hodgson said:

As fireless engines don't have boilers, they won't need boiler certificates.  Is there some equivalent requirement for the safety of the pressure vessel to be inspected/tested periodically ?

Do they have a safety valve to prevent over-pressurisation on refilling?

As there's no fire, were they usually single-manned?

I don't have regulatory requirements on hand, but according to one drawing initial charge pressure was 200psi, and the reservoir would be proof tested to 350psi before sending the loco to the customer. Cylinders and pipework would be tested to a slightly less stringent 240psi.

Several early locos had no safety valve at all (!) but by the time of the "Caledonia" type they had one on top of the dome. For those without safety valves, the pressure may have been regulated externally, on whatever boiler the location's steam supply was using.

They would often be single-manned, which was part of the cost-saving appeal - although given the industrial sites they worked on there would almost always be workers about to lend a hand if needed.

4 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

And before people start looking in the wrong place, Bowaters was in Ellesmere Port, not Ellesmere which is quite a distance away and a very different type of place!

Unless you want the Bowaters site in Northfleet, Kent... research was a little tricky sometimes when a photo is just labelled "Bowaters" and you can't tell which is which!

• Thanks 1

The reservoir on a fireless loco is a much simpler vessel than a boiler, with less to go wrong, but it’s still a pressure vessel that needs to be inspected, tested and maintained according to the pressure equipment standards. 
I believe the working pressure of the locos varied somewhat according to the source of steam available at each site, and there was also some variation in cylinder size which may have been related. 
Only one loco had a water tank and injector, and I wonder if this was associated with a particularly high charge pressure which gave the opportunity to extend the run time by adding cold water to the boiler? 

• RMweb Gold
On 19/02/2024 at 19:34, Mol_PMB said:

The reservoir on a fireless loco is a much simpler vessel than a boiler, with less to go wrong, but it’s still a pressure vessel that needs to be inspected, tested and maintained according to the pressure equipment standards. 
I believe the working pressure of the locos varied somewhat according to the source of steam available at each site, and there was also some variation in cylinder size which may have been related. 
Only one loco had a water tank and injector, and I wonder if this was associated with a particularly high charge pressure which gave the opportunity to extend the run time by adding cold water to the boiler? 

Not necessarily the pressure, may have been charged with superheated (dry) steam which would be at higher temperature than saturated (wet) steam.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
47 minutes ago, rapidoandy said:

A new (fun) livery for our fireless…

IMG_1251.jpeg

Well funny you should say that as a few more of the vans and that would be very welcome!

I’ve had to buy normal gunpowder vans to bulk up the fleet! 

Go on a set with two vans, please 😁

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Michael Hodgson said:

It's not the first of April today is it?

Ah you missed the joke on Facebook this morning! At first they said they were doing a 31!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• Moderators
3 hours ago, Michael Hodgson said:

I don't have access to facebook.

Unless there's some kind of court order or you live behind the bamboo curtain you and everyone has access to its public pages. Whether you have a login is a different matter.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

For me (and a few others) the obvious question is - 'how easy will it be to convert to EM/P4?'  I really fancy one but if it will be a pain or impossible to do then, sadly, no sale will be forthcoming.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

These two organisations were probably at the forefront in establishing standards and appropriate inspection schemes:

https://collection.sciencemuseumgroup.org.uk/people/ap11684/manchester-steam-users-association

https://collection.sciencemuseumgroup.org.uk/people/ap14641/british-engine-insurance-ltd

Run time extension is the logical reason, but I suspect the method was to add cold water to the supply as drawn from the pressure vessel, to bring the pressure down to the range for which the valve gear and cylinder size was optimised.

On 26/02/2024 at 00:56, Asterix2012 said:

Not necessarily the pressure, may have been charged with superheated (dry) steam which would be at higher temperature than saturated (wet) steam.

All fireless locos were charged with high pressure hot water. A charge of dry steam would yield no useful range.

• Like 1

The Fawkes livery is super-sharp, but a bridge too far for me. It did prompt me to finally pre-order the maroon liveried version which, as Mol_PMB has reminded us, is as fictional as the Fawkes version. 

• Like 1

On 02/04/2024 at 12:17, 5050 said:

For me (and a few others) the obvious question is - 'how easy will it be to convert to EM/P4?'  I really fancy one but if it will be a pain or impossible to do then, sadly, no sale will be forthcoming.

Rapido don't have a good track record for this unfortunately 

Huh! Always interesting to hear views. The Scalefour Society have congratulated us on (where we can) making things friendly for them - so much so they are coming to our show.

Yes not everything is because it’s not cost effective (especially with things like steam locos). Our motto (in relation to EM and P4) is -  Where we can we do - and most people are happy with that and accept it.

I cant recall with the fireless - I’m off today but will ask one of the designers later this week.

Take care,

Andy

• RMweb Gold

Couldn’t resist the guy fawkes one so preordered from rails

the gun powder van behind it in the pic is that going to be available too, can only see the special commission open wagon on the wagon works website 

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, big jim said:

Couldn’t resist the guy fawkes one so preordered from rails

the gun powder van behind it in the pic is that going to be available too

Unless they do another run they won’t be, I asked at Ally Pally but they had no plans. They were in the not quite mink thread. 

IMG_3767.jpeg.84a024426a5ec876600c8ec2ecb17151.jpeg

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, PaulRhB said:

Unless they do another run they won’t be, I asked at Ally Pally but they had no plans. They were in the not quite mink thread. 

IMG_3767.jpeg.84a024426a5ec876600c8ec2ecb17151.jpeg

was it a general release? 

EDIT: I see it was and long sold out everywhere! 

Edited by big jim

• RMweb Gold
19 minutes ago, big jim said:

was it a general release? 

I honestly don’t know Jim, I saw it in the mink thread and ordered it direct back last March. They arrived just in time for Nov 5th.