Andrew Barclay 'Caledonia' 0-4-0 Fireless from Rapido - Pre-order now available

RapidoCorbs

4 minutes ago, Jammy2305 said:

I made some enquiries - Black with red and white lining, which would fit the dark appearance in the photo. Sadly none of the (to be) announced models fit that yet.

- James

I’d be interested to see where that is recorded. It’s at odds with what we understood for Gamma.

• RMweb Gold

I really like these fireless locos because they can quite "prototypically" run without requiring all that smoke (and steam) - which other "traditional" steam locos require BUT lack in model form!

(This will be the only "steam" loco on my otherwise totally "blue Yellow Ends" Diesel layout. For a paper mill siding.)

Will there be a sound option?

As to which to choose - 5, 6 or 9 for me. Probably 5, the "Bowaters" No.1 one.

Kev.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, SHMD said:

I really like these fireless locos because they can quite "prototypically" run without requiring all that smoke (and steam) - which other "traditional" steam locos require BUT lack in model form!

(This will be the only "steam" loco on my otherwise totally "blue Yellow Ends" Diesel layout. For a paper mill siding.)

Will there be a sound option?

As to which to choose - 5, 6 or 9 for me. Probably 5, the "Bowaters" No.1 one.

Kev.

Plenty of steam I'm afraid!

Jason

• Like 6

Phew! Having just acquired a tiny geared motor and Hornby pug chassis parts, I was about to commence scratchbuilding an Imperial Paper Mills fireless for my impending Gravesend West Street layout.
It would have joined the various wagon, coach and loco projects overtaken by highly unlikely RTR products!

• Like 3
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
19 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

Plenty of steam I'm afraid!

Jason

Nippy little things aren't they!

Kev.

(OK, some noticeable steam when accelerating!)

• Like 2

11 hours ago, The Johnster said:

Even my most liberal interpretation of Rule 1 cannot quite sanction a chemical works, oil refinery, or gunpowder works/munitions depot at Cwmdimbath, so I probably will not avail myself of one of these pretty little things, but I strongly approve of anything that increases the biodiversity avaialble.  Good choice of prototype as well. a fairly common and widespread industrial with a good period span.  Kudos, Rapido!  It it runs as well as the 16" Hunslet, the running chassis will be in demand for kitbuilds and work-ups; perhaps it can be made available separately?

Now, how about a jackshaft driven inside-framed 4-coupled 1950s diesel...

That may be so, but there are other places that a fireless can work; like a paper mill, or a flour mill- indeed, many fireless engines would have worked at factories that produced foodstuffs..

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

True, but Cwmdimbath is a South Wales mining village at the top end of its valley, a ‘one road in same road out’ sort of place.  There is some industry besides the colliery, but nothing that would justify a loco, never mind a fireless.  There is a rail-served electroplating & galvanising factory which uses some unpleasant chemicals, but this doesn’t present a fire or food contamination list.  A food processing plant is possible, but it would be a small one, and flour mills are more associated with docks.  Paper mill is unlikely as there was a big one two valleys over at Llangwynyd, near Maesteg; AFAIK this was shunted by GW/BR(W) locos from Tondu.  The paper mill in Cardiff had a loco, an RSH 0-4-0, but this was a conventional fired loco. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Well, didn't see this coming but I can definitely see one on Sheep Dip which has seen more than a bit of speculation about what exactly is produced within the buildings thereabouts. 

A great bit of news. 

Rob 

• Like 5
  • Agree 1

11 hours ago, rapidoandy said:

I’d be interested to see where that is recorded. It’s at odds with what we understood for Gamma.

It would appear it was conjecture based on the livery Alpha got painted when it arrived at the same works (for which I apologise)

What do you have Gamma as carrying?

- James

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
21 hours ago, Captain Kernow said:

These were very common place on outrageously improbable light railways in the Mid Wales area.

Two a penny, in fact.

If only that was how much they will cost...

Yes, I thought they would be. :)

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
41 minutes ago, Neil said:

Yes, I thought they would be. :)

Did you also know that Ivan Petersfield photoed a pair of them, double-heading the Pines Express over Masbury Summit. Unfortunately the negatives got ruined when they fell into a vat of home-made chutney that his housekeeper was making...

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 8

12 minutes ago, Captain Kernow said:

Did you also know that Ivan Petersfield photoed a pair of them, double-heading the Pines Express over Masbury Summit. Unfortunately the negatives got ruined when they fell into a vat of home-made chutney that his housekeeper was making...

A fireless loco did once haul a Royal Train. I kid you not!

image.png.ea6fbf504e79f0c0220ed178d670c1a3.png

Edited by Mol_PMB
picture added
  • Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

4 minutes ago, Caledonian said:

Good Lord! And which one was that ? Any Clues ?

It can probably be narrowed down to a shortlist.

Working at an 'important munition works in the north of England' and in use prior to mid-1918 (the publication date of the article).

It's clearly a Barclay 0-6-0, and has dumb buffers and electric lighting.

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Neil said:

Ahead of the game here ....

fireless.jpg.24d46cf3e0aebaf9d3064780037c28d6.jpg

6 minutes ago, Captain Kernow said:

What a lovely looking loco!

Lilliput ? 

R

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Jammy2305 said:

It would appear it was conjecture based on the livery Alpha got painted when it arrived at the same works (for which I apologise)

What do you have Gamma as carrying?

- James

Hi James.

I dont have the source here but believe Gamma was delivered in blue lined black and yelllow - but with the Colmans bull on the nose. We have used this as the basis of 965002 both physically and the livery.

• Like 1

On 10/02/2024 at 11:12, AY Mod said:

The Cream Soda can is top of my list as a local loco that I used to see most days on a rail trip.

I can recall the smell of Four Ashes right now just looking at the pic.

I remember an A level trip to Croda Four Ashes where the most memorable part of the trip was seeing the fireless loco and me impressing our guide that I knew what it was.  Given I failed my A level Chemistry, the rest of the visit wasn't terribly relevant although I remember one of my fellow students describing it as a "different smell round every corner" and the alarm caused when passing one particular mysterious spray our guide referring to the process at that point producing carcinogenic compounds.  Turned out the spray was water but not before we all edged away from it.

I too could be tempted by the Croda pressure cooker even though Wednesford has no need of one.

• Like 2

Gasbag at Carnforth is my favourite fireless. Why? Because, as a working loco, it was based at Cambridge, and a friend of my best mate bought it for preservation. Now off my head I can't remember if it is the same as the model (I'll look later), but I would buy it. Not in the Gasbag livery mind, but in its workaday livery which I've forgotten!

3 minutes ago, stewartingram said:

Gasbag at Carnforth is my favourite fireless. Why? Because, as a working loco, it was based at Cambridge, and a friend of my best mate bought it for preservation. Now off my head I can't remember if it is the same as the model (I'll look later), but I would buy it. Not in the Gasbag livery mind, but in its workaday livery which I've forgotten!

A Sentinel I'm afraid. Now at Ribble Steam Railway.

https://ribblesteam.org.uk/exhibits/steam/sentinel-8024-1929-gasbag/

Jason

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1