Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium

Provenance dear heart...... easily mistaken.....

That A5 is a handsome beast. Just twigged it is a 4.6.2 so a Pacific and thus the 'A5' branding I suppose?

I rather like big tank locos and have a very soft spot for the Standard 'Teddy Bear' (80XXX); no idea why other than I had several of the Wrenn variety many moons ago (one survives).

Philth.

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Like 1

Provenance dear heart...... easily mistaken.....

Thanks Phil, I didn't think I had it right, but couldn't quite remember. I think that Medication I was on has fried some of My brain.

I did know the A5 (I think ?) so the important stuff is still in there.

Sorry Gilbert, I'll get back on topic - Big tank engines(4-6-4) are the first steam I ever saw as a small child so I also have a bit of a soft spot for them.

Edited by The Blue Streak
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Looking today through a thread of mine showing some old photos I bought at auction some years ago it might interest followers of this thread to have a gander here at Post No.38 (and scroll down past the really interesting stuff ;) ) -

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/77804-the-stationmaster-has-been-to-an-auction/page-2

and you will come across this (which has had one or two bits cut off round the edges - they're there in the above post)

post-6859-0-25599000-1500038797_thumb.jpg

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium

Looking today through a thread of mine showing some old photos I bought at auction some years ago it might interest followers of this thread to have a gander here at Post No.38 (and scroll down past the really interesting stuff ;) ) -

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/77804-the-stationmaster-has-been-to-an-auction/page-2

and you will come across this (which has had one or two bits cut off round the edges - they're there in the above post)

attachicon.gifOOh, look where this is.jpg

Look at that little un to the left of the trolly......great picture; such atmosphere.

• RMweb Premium

Hello Gilbert,

I believe that is an A5. if so, may I ask what is the providence origin of the Model, please?

Kind Regards Ted

Edit - I'm Not sure if providence is the correct wording :)

It is indeed an A5, and was made using the Cratfsman kit. I did the body, must be 25 years ago, but had the chassis done for me, as I wasn't so good at those. It nearly captures one of these very impressive engines very well, but there is something not quite right about the smokebox door. My uncle used to drive 69808, and I've been in the cab, so it was a must have for me.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Here is another of my photos looking across the Trent valley from near my home. I wasn't going to post it, but then it occured to me that, save for the tree in the right foreground, this looks rather like a model railway backdrop.

post-98-0-18948200-1500132261_thumb.jpg

I can see for miles....... and miles. It also occurs to me that the sky looks "right", but would not do as a backdrop to a model railway image. Strange. :scratchhead:

Edited by great northern
  • Like 10

• RMweb Gold

I really do wonder why that lovely sky is just not usable for a model railway backdrop. It's such a shame. Is it a perspective issue, or something else I wonder?

Best regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Gilbert.

Where are you taking your sky images from ?

I get mine by just googling " Sky" and hundreds come up. 

Allan

Andy Y sent me a very nice selection some time back Allan, and I generally use those. I have a few of my own as well.

What could be better than a picture of a shiny A4? A shiny A4 and a D16 together?

attachicon.gif34 and Claud.JPG

and from a different angle.

attachicon.gif34 and Claud 2.JPG

I'm off to Burton on Trent to play golf today. I may just have worked out on the range yesterday why I have been so c*** lately. If I'm wrong I may be very grumpy by the time I get home.

If No 34 has brought 266 down all the way from the smoke I think the finish might be spoilt just a bit. Some smokey black along the top of the streamlined casing?  I rode a steam special from Alton in Hampshire to Worcester with No 9 on the front. The Mid Hants sent it off very clean - if not quite with the classic Kings + sparkle (how did they do it?) - but when we got to W the top of the casing was pretty black. The rest of the paint was still a credit to whoever cleaned it but a broad band from the chimney to the cab and almost down to the handrail was not.

post-9071-0-43610500-1500288396.jpg

BoL with the golf.

Chaz

Edited by chaz
  • Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Gilbert,

My father, at 77, is upset because he's not getting better at his golf. I suspect it's just a feature of golf. Now model railways, on the other hand....

Alan

77? I think that's about what I took for the front nine today. I would not have believed I could get any worse, but I did.

• RMweb Premium

Let's have some pictures taken by our Spital Bridge chappie. They usually seem to go down well. The first one got a very severe crop.

post-98-0-83199400-1500325320_thumb.jpg

so I left the next one alone.

post-98-0-40009900-1500325379_thumb.jpg

I'm getting nearly as cross with the colour of the ballast as I am with ****** golf.

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium

Evening.  'He' is back.  He didn't spot the N5 at the time as interweb electrons were in short supply on campsites, but did today having a scan though events. Splendid stuff - oh and that Claud....makes my knees go. I must get one when they do that livery again.

I know the feeling about clubs disintegrating, but that's all in the past.  My best club I attend now has no rules, no committee, just some people who agree to meet in the same place at the same time.  Never heard a voice of dissent.  It's a bike (motor) club, but many members don't have bikes - they just come for sort of men in sheds time.  Gurls too.

• Like 5