Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium

The tight crop picture, definitely the best. Shows the work that went into the layout. More like it please.

Not knowing much about golf, indeed if anything, but what is the ' front nine' Gilbert ?

Allan

A "game" of golf takes place on a "course". This has been carefully designed by some sadist to cause the maximum inconvenience and frustration. In fact, most courses have 18 different opportunities to lose balls, temper or both. They are divided into two parts, thus accomodating those who have had more than enough after only nine of the "challenges" set by the designer, and wlak off muttering curses. For some reason, the first nine holes are termed the front nine, and the remainder the back nine, unless one is in the USA, where they refer to the "backside". A#se, as our duck would say.

I found another picture of number 34 that I had forgotten, so here it is, a bit out of sequence.

attachicon.gif34 leaving.JPG

attachicon.gif34 and Thompsons.JPG

This doesn't work, so please concentrate on the lovely Thompson coaches.

I also took some more pictures of the views I am privileged to see when I go out walking. Ten minutes from home gives me this vista.

attachicon.gifthe vale.JPG

We are looking across the vale of Belvoir, with the escarpment which defines it in the far background. Belvoir Castle is just off scene to the left, but I'll have to try some zoom when I next go that way in order to get it visible, as I failed with the attempt I made this time.

Hi Gilbert

The sky in your last photo would make a nice background for your future photos, just needs to be lightened down a touch but a nice blend of blue sky and cloud. 

Regards

David

Edited by landscapes

• RMweb Premium

Hi Gilbert

The sky in your last photo would make a nice background for your future photos, just needs to be lightened down a touch but a nice blend of blue sky and cloud. 

Regards

David

I'll have a go at that David, thanks.

• RMweb Premium

Nuffink wrong with the 'doesn't work' shot IMHO.  It's just different. Like me.... :jester:

I wonder how the name of Golf came about.. Flog backwards seems too easy. :scratchhead:

It was invented by the devil, in his, or her, :girldevil: constant search to create hell on Earth. And that's another emoticon i never thought I'd find a use for.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Nuffink wrong with the 'doesn't work' shot IMHO.  It's just different. Like me.... :jester:

I wonder how the name of Golf came about.. Flog backwards seems too easy. :scratchhead:

I was led to believe that the game originated in Scotland, where it was originally called Gowffe which was then abbreviated to Gowf, then Anglicised to golf.  There is only one Gowf club in Scotland, the one in Ayrshire, Loudoun Gowf Club, which is in the Irvine Valley, between Newmilns and Galston.  It is hard against the A71 and there have been a number of incidents of damage to cars due to mis-hit balls on the two holes known locally as the road holes.  Ask me how I know about the car damage???

A "game" of golf takes place on a "course". This has been carefully designed by some sadist to cause the maximum inconvenience and frustration. In fact, most courses have 18 different opportunities to lose balls, temper or both. They are divided into two parts, thus accomodating those who have had more than enough after only nine of the "challenges" set by the designer, and wlak off muttering curses. For some reason, the first nine holes are termed the front nine, and the remainder the back nine, unless one is in the USA, where they refer to the "backside". A#se, as our duck would say.

Hmmm. Similar emotions then when trying to wire a double slip.

Allan

• RMweb Premium

I was led to believe that the game originated in Scotland, where it was originally called Gowffe which was then abbreviated to Gowf, then Anglicised to golf.  There is only one Gowf club in Scotland, the one in Ayrshire, Loudoun Gowf Club, which is in the Irvine Valley, between Newmilns and Galston.  It is hard against the A71 and there have been a number of incidents of damage to cars due to mis-hit balls on the two holes known locally as the road holes.  Ask me how I know about the car damage???

Oh, go on then. Striker, or struck?

• RMweb Premium

I'm getting a bit confused now, as I'm doing descriptions of things that happened up to six days ago, and struggling to recall the order in which they appeared. I'm pretty confident though that after the Scotch goods had passed, to go into Westwood yard for examination of train to see how many hot boxes Bill Hoole had caused, the way was clear for the A5 to start its journey to Grimsby. Realising that was likely to happen, our man on Spital Bridge stayed put and took this shot.

post-98-0-97600000-1500454933_thumb.jpg

This is not a view to be photoshopped very often, I can assure you.

post-98-0-77307700-1500455109_thumb.jpg

Our man at ground level also stayed put, as you can see. Only one droopy signal arm this time, but that one resists all attempts to get it to go straight. A complete rebuild is called for.

• Like 18

One possible reason why some skies may not work would be if the colour temperature of the layout is different from that indicated by the sky. Say if the light on the layout was equivalent to an overcast day or evening, but the sky was sunny and midday. Would brightness controls in your software work on this?

Another possibility would be if the sun in the sky is from the left and the sun in the photo is from the right. There is probably a command to flip the sky photo 180 degrees that might help. Maybe.

Or you could just leave out the shopping and give us the pics. My imagination can process them just fine.

Alan

Someone a while back said they like the occasional picture which is uncluttered by trains, so yesterday when I visited the layout I didn't even switch the power on, and just pointed the camera in various directions. I got a bit carried away actually, and so there are quite a lot in the pipeline. I think they are better shown in small doses , so here is the first one.

attachicon.gifempty platforms.JPG

Caption? "Dad, I'm bored, there's nothing happening".

Yup. Good stuff, makes the point very well - sometimes the bl00dy trains just get in the way. Bit like my Dad's holiday snaps - nice view ruined by parking Mum right in the middle. We all knew what she looked like.

Chaz

• RMweb Premium

The evening wears on, but the threatened storms have not arrived. There is never a storm at PN, as the "angry" type of sky looks all wrong, so as usual it is part cloudy at worst as the Up Glasgow rolls in past the D16.

post-98-0-51239600-1500497485_thumb.jpg

then we have another of the shots in which nothing is happening.

post-98-0-89924000-1500497576_thumb.jpg

More golf tomorrow. I am trying to persuade myself that it will be fun. Certainly I shall meet some good friends who I see all too rarely.

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium

Yup. Good stuff, makes the point very well - sometimes the bl00dy trains just get in the way. Bit like my Dad's holiday snaps - nice view ruined by parking Mum right in the middle. We all knew what she looked like.

Chaz

Chaz, I like that light-hearted remark but wouldn't it be nice to have more snaps featuring Dad not Mum. As it was his camera, there are hardly any of those.

Someone a while back said they like the occasional picture which is uncluttered by trains, so yesterday when I visited the layout I didn't even switch the power on, and just pointed the camera in various directions. I got a bit carried away actually, and so there are quite a lot in the pipeline. I think they are better shown in small doses , so here is the first one.

attachicon.gifempty platforms.JPG

Caption? "Dad, I'm bored, there's nothing happening".

That was me I think. And the photo of the train shed works wonderfully.

• RMweb Gold

I liked that last shot of the train shed very much, Gilbert. Goes to show how much work must have gone into the building of it.

A real credit to both you and PL.

Allan

That was me I think. And the photo of the train shed works wonderfully.

How right you both are! The trainshed is the crowning glory of PN for me, and an endorsement from Allan Downes (himself a modelling guru in my yoof) tells me I am right. But it would be wasted on us if Gilbert hadn't now cracked the depth of field issue so successfully there. Absolutely smashing modelling well represented on here.

I have attempted to play Golf on several occasions (although never seriously or ever in the rain) and although it was immensely frustrating (mainly because I was rubbish at it). There is a sense of perverse pleasure achievement in finally getting the ball in the hole in less shots than the time previously.

It is quietly addictive and I can understand Gilbert's keenness to get out there at any opportunity. It is also one of the few sports that let you get a reasonable amount of exercise but which doesn't involve the rather unattractive idea of running ;)

I can see Myself perhaps getting more involved in it as I become closer to retirement age as a way to keep active (providing my back holds together) and to supplement the (hopefully) increased time spent playing with small trains rather than 1:1 scale versions that consume most days presently.

It probably doesn't hurt that many golf courses also have a bar as well (which I don't mind at all :))

P.s. Gilbert, I love that "very busy" wide shot at the top of post 15538. Sort of an "all in" photo.

Edited by The Blue Streak