Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Spelling Mistakes on Models (and the prototype)

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Steamport Southport said:

For radio commentary.

Had been trialled before, but the first instance in professional football was the 1933 FA Cup Final.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1933_FA_Cup_final

Jason

I see that Everton had numbers 1 to 11. Clearly the lighter single-digit numberplates had a significant effect, since they beat Manchester City (numbers 12 to 22) 3-0.

• Round of applause 1

10 hours ago, adb968008 said:

is this how football clubs developed player numbers for shirts ?

3 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

For radio commentary.

Had been trialled before, but the first instance in professional football was the 1933 FA Cup Final.

Initially, jersey numbers referred to the position being played, not to the individual playing it.  For example, due to injury, team selection etc., different players could be played at (say) right wing in a series of games - but they would all wear “7” while doing so. Only numbers 1 to 11 were used. (I can’t remember how subs were numbered - presumably 12 and 13.)

Nowadays, the number belongs to the player, no matter what position he or she is playing in. Numbers aren’t limited to 1 to 11 - the highest I found from a quick scan of EPL clubs was 82.

Edited by pH
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, pH said:

Initially, jersey numbers referred to the position being played, not to the individual playing it.  For example, due to injury, team selection etc., different players could be played at (say) right wing in a series of games - but they would all wear “7” while doing so. Only numbers 1 to 11 were used. (I can’t remember how subs were numbered - presumably 12 and 13.)

Nowadays, the number belongs to the player, no matter what position he or she is playing in. Numbers aren’t limited to 1 to 11 - the highest I found from a quick scan of EPL clubs was 82.

Rather like Formula 1, where a new driver is able to choose any number not currently in use, and keep it for his F1 career (some only last one season). 

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)

"Helensburgh" mis-spelt on a Dapol exclusive gunpowder van for a model railway club.   At first glance, the second "e" seemed to be missing but it is actually present but disappears from this angle of viewing due to being printed across the edge of the door.  However there is definitely and extra "u" which shouldn't be there. I wonder if Dapol gave them a discount.😃

IMG20240403185002

Edited by cessna152towser
  • Like 2

The Dutch HSM railway company used names instead of number s for their locomotives. They ordered some tank locomotives from Borsig (Berlin) in 1874 with the names Thetis (mother of Achilles) and Ulysses. See the manufacturers photo of Thesis:

P1110393.JPG.a09e5f74881dc9dd84d30ee2c2c457f7.JPG

Not all Germans know the classics 😉.

Regards

Fred

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

My miniature railway club received a new sign today. Several people had looked at it without comment and I thought that there was something wrong with it.

Sure enough, in big letters it says MINITURE, so back to the sign writer it goes. Apparently, he'd taken a photo of our old sign to use as a master, so his problem not ours, because we hadn't approved a proof.

2 hours ago, john new said:

The wartime cast water column at Pickering has a backwards E.

That could have been done on purpose as I've definitely seen other examples of that on things like rail chairs.

Unfortunately trying to Google it and they are trying to sell me tickets for rear facing seats in Coach E!

Jason

• Like 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

That could have been done on purpose as I've definitely seen other examples of that on things like rail chairs.

Unfortunately trying to Google it and they are trying to sell me tickets for rear facing seats in Coach E!

Jason

It is the one at the back of the coach repair shed. 

21 minutes ago, kevinlms said:

My miniature railway club received a new sign today. Several people had looked at it without comment and I thought that there was something wrong with it.

Sure enough, in big letters it says MINITURE, so back to the sign writer it goes. Apparently, he'd taken a photo of our old sign to use as a master, so his problem not ours, because we hadn't approved a proof.

That’s confusing.  It reminds me of the old seaside postcard where a proud couple are watching their son in a military parade, and Mum says to Dad: “Oh look, George - all those soldiers marching and our Little Willie is the only one in step!”

If your “old” sign said ‘Miniture’, and he copied that from a photo as you appear to be saying, and several of your members didn’t see anything wrong with the “new” sign, perhaps that was in fact the correct spelling all along!? Sometimes words are deliberately mis-spelled for effect - yesterday at a motorway service station I purchased a so-called ‘Phat’ Cornish Pastie. 

On the prototype, approaching Eglinton Street Junction south of Glasgow Central there is an equipment building with a prominent sign saying 'Eglington St'. Every time I see it I cringe....

• RMweb Premium
15 minutes ago, Willie Whizz said:

That’s confusing.  It reminds me of the old seaside postcard where a proud couple are watching their son in a military parade, and Mum says to Dad: “Oh look, George - all those soldiers marching and our Little Willie is the only one in step!”

If your “old” sign said ‘Miniture’, and he copied that from a photo as you appear to be saying, and several of your members didn’t see anything wrong with the “new” sign, perhaps that was in fact the correct spelling all along!? Sometimes words are deliberately mis-spelled for effect - yesterday at a motorway service station I purchased a so-called ‘Phat’ Cornish Pastie. 

Urgh? Where did I say our old sign was spelt wrong? He took a photo of our old correctly spelt sign, yet got it wrong.

1 hour ago, kevinlms said:

yesterday at a motorway service station I purchased a so-called ‘Phat’ Cornish Pastie. 

Nice to see they've caught up with late-'90s parlance!

• Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)

Another non railway related, but local pub the “Windsor Castle” had a car park sign saying “winsor castle”.

My little one many years ago thought the Queen used to frequent there.

Edited by adb968008

23 hours ago, cessna152towser said:

"Helensburgh" mis-spelt on a Dapol exclusive gunpowder van for a model railway club.   At first glance, the second "e" seemed to be missing but it is actually present but disappears from this angle of viewing due to being printed across the edge of the door.  However there is definitely and extra "u" which shouldn't be there. I wonder if Dapol gave them a discount.😃

IMG20240403185002

I am struggling with this livery  I would have thought the sign writer would have spaced the lettering so it looks right from the side,   With the decal wrapped around the framing it just looks wrong.    The sign writers art  is in deciding how to paint the angled framing so the wording looks "Right" at angles other than direct 90 degrees and the decal   makers is in how much extra to allow for wrapping around angle irons etc .

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I was given a set of transfers for a LNWR Motor Car van with ‘London North Weston’ as the company name.

A non-railway error in the next village is Athelstan Road, except the signs say Althestan Road. Apparently, once registered with the post office and given a postcode it can’t be corrected.

Ian R

• Like 1

On 01/04/2024 at 18:20, Binky said:

Does anyone know of any more examples of railway spelling mistakes?

Two from the GWR come to mind, the broad gauge "Lagoon" which was supposed to have been named "Laocoon", and "Caldicot Castle" which was outshopped with plates displaying "Caldicott Castle".

Edited by craneman
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, adb968008 said:

Another non railway related, but local pub the “Windsor Castle” had a car park sign saying “winsor castle”.

My little one many years ago thought the Queen used to frequent there.

Perhaps the signwriter had been using Winsor & Newton paint? 

Edited by Adam88
  • Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 2

2 hours ago, Ian Rathbone said:

I was given a set of transfers for a LNWR Motor Car van with ‘London North Weston’ as the company name.

A non-railway error in the next village is Athelstan Road, except the signs say Althestan Road. Apparently, once registered with the post office and given a postcode it can’t be corrected.

Ian R

For many years the main shopping street in Gladstone, Queensland was the subject of arguments: some saying it's Gondoon Street, others insisting it's Goondoon Street. Which one was correct seems to have been settled now as all the signs say Goondoon nowadays. Google Maps also agrees with that.

Edited by SRman
Correcting a typo

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, MattR said:

Nice to see they've caught up with late-'90s parlance!

No I didn't!

What's happening?

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, Willie Whizz said:

That was the way I interpreted your wording, I’m afraid. 

Matches the thread title then, as your mistake, not mine.

• Moderators
24 minutes ago, kevinlms said:

Matches the thread title then, as your mistake, not mine.

I read it the same way as he did, on rereading it's no clearer 

• Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
52 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

I read it the same way as he did, on rereading it's no clearer 

I wrote in part.

Apparently, he'd taken a photo of our old sign to use as a master, so his problem not ours

Does that not imply that the signwriter made the mistake? We didn't give him the wrong info.