BR Dia.1/801 Fish/Parcels Vans from Rapido Trains UK

RapidoCorbs

• RapidoCorbs changed the title to BR Dia.1/801 Fish/Parcels Vans from Rapido Trains UK

Good to have them break cover.

Some photos of a few prototypes

957011 https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/brfish/e97932d2   BR 1/801 Barrier Van – No.M87990

957012   https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/brfish/e74f676f  BR 1/801 Barrier Van – No.W87573

957013  https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/brfish/eb8c41f5  BR 1/801 Departmental Van – No.ADB975377

Paul

PS just noticed this in the description (coded NRV and later SPV under TOPS)   This is incorrect, the SPV designation predates the introduction of TOPS codes, for example on this 1970 photo by my late friend Tony Dyer https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/brfish/e3e013bfa  (I realise this is the earlier design on an LNER type brake rigging and slightly different body)

Edited by hmrspaul
  • Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Finally, after three versions of the Dia 1/800 (Dublo, Parkside and Hornby) we get the 1/801. Was just thinking about this version the other day when I found my almost complete Parkside kit.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, RapidoCorbs said:

(coded NRV and later SPV under TOPS) 

Surely SPV was the original code and NRV the later TOPS code?

(Sorry, just noticed hmrspaul had already commented)

But another wonderful and much needed product from Rapido, thanks!

Edited by caradoc
Duplicated earlier post
  • Like 2

Good afternoon folks,

Order plaice-d (I'll stop now) for a blue spot version, to keep my two Parkside fish vans company (LNER and LMS types).

Cheers, Nigel.

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 2

59 minutes ago, Fredo said:

Hi Rapido, Looking forward to the Fish Vans. What is the difference between the 1/800 and the1/801. Thanks Fred

The most visible differences, as far as I can see from product images, are different side stanchions - the 801s had four vertical stanchions, the 800s only had two. There are also differences in the door handles and the bracing.

Here's a Hornby 1/800, compare that with the same coloured 1/801 from Rapido pictured upthread and it's fairly easy to tell the difference.

hornby-r60114-91313797-o.webp.14706d963f0cb63ca2e88ad76caf4ee0.webp

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Did the fish vans only run in dedicated fish express trains, or were smaller numbers cut out of the expresses to go to as part of ordinary fast goods to smaller destinations ?

Also, why did they have steam heating pipes as I thought fish needed to be kept cold  -  were they just steam through pipes ?

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, phil gollin said:

Did the fish vans only run in dedicated fish express trains, or were smaller numbers cut out of the expresses to go to as part of ordinary fast goods to smaller destinations ?

Also, why did they have steam heating pipes as I thought fish needed to be kept cold  -  were they just steam through pipes ?

This photo may answer those questions:

image010.jpg.f835590ab5adb3c19e3d3a668f9a387b.jpg

Photo credit: Ben Brooksbank CC-BY-SA

Found here: https://www.bloodandcustard.net/bluespot.html 

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

1 hour ago, MarkSG said:

The most visible differences, as far as I can see from product images, are different side stanchions - the 801s had four vertical stanchions, the 800s only had two. There are also differences in the door handles and the bracing.

Here's a Hornby 1/800, compare that with the same coloured 1/801 from Rapido pictured upthread and it's fairly easy to tell the difference.

The brake arrangements, the roof ribs, and if I recall correctly, the curvature of the ends is also different between the two diagrams

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

23 minutes ago, MarkSG said:

This photo may answer those questions:

But note that this is a 1/800 van, not a 1/801. Did the latter vans ever work off the ECML? [Don't know, just asking.]

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Cwmtwrch said:

But note that this is a 1/800 van, not a 1/801. Did the latter vans ever work off the ECML? [Don't know, just asking.]

That's a good question, and my limited Googling so far hasn't turned up a definitive answer. But all the pages I've read which talk about fish vans suggest that they were used interchangeably, the 1/801s were simply a later variant that suplemented the existing 1/800 stock rather than having a more specific use.

• Like 1

Excellent, and also an excellent opportunity for some of the characteristic weathering of these vehicles in fish traffic, with the scraped off filth on the doors, which I at least find difficult to achieve really neatly by DIY. 

Now, about the traction to haul them. Yes, it's largely covered, but the ECML South of Doncaster has the gaping hole of a GNR J6 'Knick Knack' 0-6-0, much employed as the 'maid of all work' to move wagons about to off-load points, and marshalling for empty return. Just saying...

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Gold

Good call, Corbs.  I have a Hornby but it has never run particularly well and I don't find it to be a life-enhancing experience; it is very much a 'design clever' period model.  TTBOMK these were used wherever there was fish traffic, and I can certainly remember them on the Milford Haven-Paddington Goods fish train.  I will find one very hard to resist, as there is a food processing factory at Glynogwr on the Cwmdimbath branch and the trains come up to the terminus to run around. 

Might be fun to swap the Hornby body around occasionally.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Good choice, I’ll have some of the ice blue ones. Hornby’s version with the white buffer stocks must be someone’s idea of humour.

Actually the last block fish trains ran on the ECML in1976/7, not 1968. Single wagons were often seen on Far North and West Highland passenger services for a while afterwards too, which makes for some nice variation.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

2 hours ago, MarkSG said:

Great news 👍

The 1/800 Express Parcels version also done by Dapol as B533, WR3-08 and also as a barrier van B564. The Signalbox MR as a 300-piece limited edition SBB6.  An OK body moulding IMHO - I've added metal handrails, proper buffers, new  lettering and replaced the diecast / clunky plastic running gear with Parkside chassis'.

ISTR it was a pair of these vehicles that departed the rear of a newspaper train near Newington in Kent back in the day - the disappearance of which only became apparent when the orchards' owner phoned BR to ask when they were coming to recover their wagons - the missing tail lamp on the remaining train had been quietly "forgotten" about as many things that happened at night once did ......

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cwmtwrch said:

Fish are a seasonal catch. Herring, which were once very common and important source of protein, migrate around our islands and the fish vans followed. 

Paul

• Like 1