Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

New Bachmann BR MK1 BSO, FO & RB

AY Mod

Interesting that the guards handrails on the BSO appear to be separate fittings and not moulded. This IS a nice upgrade and something that lifts the model a little.

• Agree 3

The previous round of announcements included an option for fitted passengers in the Mk1's.

Surprised that this round of announcements does not which seems a little anomalous.

• Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
59 minutes ago, Opelsi said:

The previous round of announcements included an option for fitted passengers in the Mk1's.

Surprised that this round of announcements does not which seems a little anomalous.

These new coaches will have been in development much longer than the decision to fit passengers to existing/upgraded Mk1s so passengers were not yet envisaged when the production slots were booked.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, G-BOAF said:

Interesting that the guards handrails on the BSO appear to be separate fittings and not moulded. This IS a nice upgrade and something that lifts the model a little.

Yes a nice move … As long as it doesn’t increase the kinetic envelope and cause clearance problems on layouts …. 

Hi, heard the announcement on Wednesday, do you know which month in 1961 RB SC1658 was built, and also which months were SC1733-1738 fitted with Commonwealth bogies. Lastly do you know which month in 1960 was W1732 built. Thanks Fred

7 hours ago, Fredo said:

Hi, heard the announcement on Wednesday, do you know which month in 1961 RB SC1658 was built, and also which months were SC1733-1738 fitted with Commonwealth bogies. Lastly do you know which month in 1960 was W1732 built. Thanks Fred

Fred, it's worth bearing in mind the best you'll get for the date built for Mk1 stock, relates to the info provided in the likes of Parkin's Mk1 Coaching Stock book and Robert Carroll's extracts of the  BR Diagram Book Index. It applies to the whole lot under which the vehicles were built. Anyhoo

RB SC1658 Lot 30628 1644-1699 Ordered 1959, Completed Nov 1961, Commonwealth Bogies.

RB SC1733-1738 Lot. 30512 1701-1738 Ordered 1958, Completed Jan 1961, BR Mk2 Heavy Duty Double Bolster Bogies.

RB W1732 details as Lot 30512.

The first Lot built (30512) were rebogied fairly early on but I've no idea when. Robert Carroll might know.

Bob.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
On 27/04/2024 at 18:07, robertcwp said:

Bogie types are not mentioned but the first BRCW lot had BR heavy duty bogies when new and all others Commonwealth. Most of the first batch were rebogied pretty early on. The S1716-24 batch and E1714-5 were converted to 4 Rep buffet cars.

53681523417_884899e625_b.jpgDiag_24_Diag-book-index-sheet by Robert Carroll, on Flickr

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know why the last batch (lot 30636) were 1 ton heavier? Presumably nothing to do with the bogies as they were fitted with Commonwealths just like the lot before 30628, which was also built by Pressed Steel.

Edited by brushman47544

8 minutes ago, brushman47544 said:

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know why the last batch (lot 30636) were 1 ton heavier? Presumably nothing to do with the bogies as they were fitted with Commonwealths just like the lot before 30628, which was also built by Pressed Steel.

It was the Commonwealth Bogies though they go it wrong in the table for the earlier batch that should have been the same tare weight having been equipped from new with them. (There's a picture of them fitted to W1644 at the time of their production at Pressed Steel in Paisley in Modern Railways at the time) though curiously it gives the Tare Weight as 38-1/2 Tons.

• Informative/Useful 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I have found a photo of S1720 at Southampton in December 1960, do you think the Midland Region and Southern batch were built at roughly the same time so the Midland ones would also have been in service at this time.

Also does anyone know if the Western Region Mark 1 FO’s and BSO’s were out-shopped in Chocolate and Cream when new?

Thanks Fred

https://archive.rcts.org.uk/shopviewer.php?pg=43550&code=CH05490

Posted (edited)

Some of these newer coaches have pickups fitted like these mk1's and the birdcage coaches. Where does the pickup lead? Is there a terminal or something inside to connect a wire to? Or is it self contained in the bogie and it's up to you to route a path inside the coach.

Edited by Mr chapman
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

16 hours ago, Mr chapman said:

Some of these newer coaches have pickups fitted like these mk1's and the birdcage coaches. Where does the pickup lead? Is there a terminal or something inside to connect a wire to? Or is it self contained in the bogie and it's up to you to route a path inside the coach.

My experience of Bachmann coach bogies with pick ups is that the pick ups incorporate a vertical strip which extends above the top of the bogie and to which you can solder wires.

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

I have recently removed some on my new Thompson coaches and in those the contact “prongs” are not attached to anything inside the coach body at source.

• Thanks 1

Personally I don't see the point of pick ups on the new Thompson's or mk1. I have many of the later. Those with isolating sections find that the contacts bridge the gaps...!

• Agree 2

Forgive me if I've missed something basic here, but isn't this issue about the bogies of latest release coaches having pick-ups just all about standardisation of product in the factory. Same as non-DCC/ DCC-ready locos having speakers fitted as standard with nothing to drive them?

• Agree 7

On 18/05/2024 at 00:19, 'CHARD said:

Forgive me if I've missed something basic here, but isn't this issue about the bogies of latest release coaches having pick-ups just all about standardisation of product in the factory. Same as non-DCC/ DCC-ready locos having speakers fitted as standard with nothing to drive them?

Dont think there was anything to miss.  Makes perfect sense to try and stsndardise products this way whete possible.

On 17/05/2024 at 21:17, davidw said:

Personally I don't see the point of pick ups on the new Thompson's or mk1. I have many of the later. Those with isolating sections find that the contacts bridge the gaps...!

Dependent on the positional planning of the isolating section's rail gaps, slight pain to reorganise on a completed layout. Any chance of swapping bogies among your carriages so that those carriages that cause troble can have the insulated bogies?

I am happily redistributing bogies from the new Thompsons, and will do the same with the new mk1s, positioning the bogies with pick up in brakes,  for  train in section detection. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I think that the Western Region FO’s and BSO’s were out-shopped in Maroon, and some FO’s were painted in Chocolate and Cream later. The only BSO that received Chocolate and Cream is W9276 which is now preserved as a BSOT.

Fred

10 hours ago, Fredo said:

Hi,

I think that the Western Region FO’s and BSO’s were out-shopped in Maroon, and some FO’s were painted in Chocolate and Cream later. The only BSO that received Chocolate and Cream is W9276 which is now preserved as a BSOT.

Fred

That is interesting Fred.  I know there were a number of choc n cream BSKs, so would have thought more BSOs would receive the livery.   

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, Fredo said:

Hi,

Fred

Is that the one that ran in the Cathedrals Express?