New Bachmann BR MK1 BSO, FO & RB

AY Mod

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)

One notable omission from the Bachmann Mk1 range to date has been an Intercity Executive RMB, think they've done just about every other livery they've been in even NSE.

Dale

Edited by dale159
Changed exception to omission
  • Like 2

42 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

I am sure it must be my eyesight but the new bogie designs appear to suffer the same as the old ones. Have a butchers at the brake and wheel interface.

If your eyesight is wonky, then so is mine. It has rather put me off the WCRC coaches too. Let’s hope Mr. Bullock is right and Mr. Proudman has gone to Specsavers.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, No Decorum said:

If your eyesight is wonky, then so is mine. It has rather put me off the WCRC coaches too. Let’s hope Mr. Bullock is right and Mr. Proudman has gone to Specsavers.

According to SWMBO there’s a very low probability of that!!! 😀

• Funny 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

8 hours ago, AY Mod said:

The Diagram 183 Brake Second Opens were built from 1955, and by 1960 a total of 163 vehicles had been completed. A further 18 BSOs were built in 1963 which had an internal door splitting the seating bays in two to create a non-smoking area. Seats were provided at tables for 31 passengers, along with a toilet, guard’s compartment and an area for luggage. 

The Mark 1 BSO as built had 39 seats, not 31.

4 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

I am sure it must be my eyesight but the new bogie designs appear to suffer the same as the old ones. Have a butchers at the brake and wheel interface.

I think you are right. However, brake blocks in line with 00 wheels are a nuisance when converting carriages to EM and usually have to be removed.

• Agree 2

Diag 24 page from Diagram book index. Note that the quantity for the 1644-99 batch is shown incorrectly and should be 56. Most of the WR allocation was maroon when new but W1729-32 were chocolate and cream and W1646 was repainted in that livery when almost new and ran in The Bristolian. The remainder of that set carried a trial batch of B4 bogies. 

Bogie types are not mentioned but the first BRCW lot had BR heavy duty bogies when new and all others Commonwealth. Most of the first batch were rebogied pretty early on. The S1716-24 batch and E1714-5 were converted to 4 Rep buffet cars.

53681523417_884899e625_b.jpgDiag_24_Diag-book-index-sheet by Robert Carroll, on Flickr

Edited by robertcwp
Typo.
  • Like 2

Have Bachmann said whether these have better detailing compared to their existing Mk1’s? Or are they produced to exactly the same spec? I appreciate there have been some minor upgrades recently (end steps and bogies etc,) but it’s quite unusual to have something ‘new’ made to the same tooling standard as something 25 years old (if that is the case). I just wonder how they will compare to , for instance, Accurascale’s recent Mk2B coaches? All that said, it’s great to see more types added! 

• Like 2

Well I didn't see that coming!

Not sure if I'm delighted or not as Hornby do them - admittedly without the ccm....

I've also done BSOs and FOs residing  Bachmann coaches. But with respect to the RBs, my research suggests that they were deployed to the ECML in 1960 can anyone confirm?

Addendum: Bother. I've just read Robert's table. It was in1960

Edited by davidw
Add some thing.

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)

That must be a record! The very first post after the announcement was a request for a different model in different scale…

😃

Edited by Harlequin
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 6

Excellent on all counts. FO much needed for my railtour rake (surprised its taken them this long, but I can imagine a WCRC example or two will be in this first batch).

RB similarly as additional kitchen will be very useful.

Intercity Charter (White Roof) would indeed be very striking).

Also would hope for a BFK at some future point. But also glad to see that they are still investing in expanding the excellent Mk1 range.

Edited by G-BOAF
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, davidw said:

Well I didn't see that coming!

Not sure if I'm delighted or not as Hornby do them - admittedly without the ccm....

I've also done BSOs and FOs residing  Bachmann coaches. But with respect to the RBs, my research suggests that they were deployed to the ECML in 1960 can anyone confirm?

Addendum: Bother. I've just read Robert's table. It was in1960

Hornby did some, but it will still be cheaper to get the Hornby model and a spare Bachmann bogie and dremel the two together... as I have done to get modern coach rakes completed. repaint too if needed. 

Interesting thoughts on how advanced these are into production or maybe already here? Locomotion have their NRM MK1 support coach down as ready to ship mid May. So did that come with the recently released WCRC Mk1's or is it coming with these ones? Or maybe they all came together? 🤔

• RMweb Gold
21 hours ago, AY Mod said:

Between 1980 and 1981, BR converted 18 BSOs into BSOT Micro-Buffets – the T standing for Trolley. The conversion saw the toilet turned into a store and the first bay of seating removed to make room for a counter into which a trolley could be slotted, allowing the option for customers to be served at the counter, or at their seats throughout the train from the trolley. This variant is also modelled as part of the new tooling. 

Having converted 5 Hornby BSO's to BSOT's in the last 6 months, fellow RM Webbers will probably understand my quandery. Do I grin and bare it with the lower standard, poorly coloured paint Hornby versions or bite the bullet and upgrade to Bachmann BSO's and another programme of conversion work?

• Friendly/supportive 2

Really excellent news! This will save me having to re-spray my Hornby RB's to improve the blue / grey match with other Bachmann stock. 

I think that brings my total Hornby stock down to just a couple of parcel vans and the odd wagon now, and they're arguably surplus to requirements. Just goes to show how much they have to offer blue and grey era modelers!

Cameron

• Like 2

12 hours ago, nickb4141 said:

Have Bachmann said whether these have better detailing compared to their existing Mk1’s? Or are they produced to exactly the same spec? I appreciate there have been some minor upgrades recently (end steps and bogies etc,) but it’s quite unusual to have something ‘new’ made to the same tooling standard as something 25 years old (if that is the case). I just wonder how they will compare to , for instance, Accurascale’s recent Mk2B coaches? All that said, it’s great to see more types added! 

Interesting question as the latest MK1 top stowage vans have additional detail in terms of underframe steps and Eth detail lacking in the original release. It would be nice to think these coaches could be suitably equipped. But could also understand Bachmann wanting similar standards to the original range for consistency. From the looks of the EP it might be a one piece body shell rather than the separate sides and integral ends/underframe of the original releases

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
57 minutes ago, G-BOAF said:

From the looks of the EP it might be a one piece body shell rather than the separate sides and integral ends/underframe of the original releases

That's what I'm seeing too. But the "gashy" original releases are then going to look silly against these.  

• Like 1

Hi, looking forward to the new Mark 1 BSO RB and FO’s, especially the RB’s with BR type 1 bogies. Were any of the above built between January and December 1960? Also do you know which months of 1961 FO’s 3101-3103 were built? Thanks Fred

58 minutes ago, Fredo said:

Hi, looking forward to the new Mark 1 BSO RB and FO’s, especially the RB’s with BR type 1 bogies. Were any of the above built between January and December 1960? Also do you know which months of 1961 FO’s 3101-3103 were built? Thanks Fred

Parkin lists Lot 30648 3101 to 3103 for the Scottish Region completed in June 1961.

Bob

Edited by Bob Reid
Got the region wrong!

1 hour ago, Daddyman said:

That's what I'm seeing too. But the "gashy" original releases are then going to look silly against these.  

I respectfully disagree. I've run tpos and Pullman's in mixed rake with the original mk1s and they really look fine. Body side profiles match as do u/f and bogie detail (even on Pullman's with a different c/w bogie tooling that incorporates pickups)

• Agree 3