New Bachmann BR MK1 BSO, FO & RB

AY Mod

The separate brake shoes and rodding on the B5 bogies of my POT stowage van (39-755) may have been a detail improvement but it arrived with damaged rodding and attempts to repair it were undone again by the packaging. I got a bit cheesed off with it and the inner shoes and rodding are now in a zip bag. I may fix it one day but one of the shoes broke so.......

On 28/04/2024 at 08:48, Daddyman said:

... the "gashy" original releases are then going to look silly against these.  

The constructional plan has already altered as Bachmann's  mk1 range has expanded, to no ill effect. As the late Mr Rice observed, consistency in modelling standard is key.  Thus what I liked from the get go with Bachmann's blue riband releases: they were an all-around good match for a competent kit or scratch build, and anything that needed adjustment was thereby within my capability. Judging from the way most of the first decade's releases flew off the shelves I wasn't alone.

'Gashy' is rather strong ('ghastly', 'hideous') all they really need is the cosmetic surgery to remove the mountainous roof ribs, and a coating of BR(ER) coach roof standard filth. Which reminds me, now the sun is appearing I have a few more cheap acquisitions to be given the treatment; always in good daylight to ensure a clean job...

• Like 4

On 27/04/2024 at 10:32, 45568 said:

Coaches S3063-3070 from Doncaster batch 30169 were allocated from new to the Southern region, and received SR green post 1956. Often used on Southampton liner trains where 1st class accommodation was usual.

Cheers from Oz,

Peter C.

and the whole batch of them survive in preservation - six them on Southern Region preserved railways to boot.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

The constructional plan has already altered as Bachmann's  mk1 range has expanded, to no ill effect. As the late Mr Rice observed, consistency in modelling standard is key.  Thus what I liked from the get go with Bachmann's blue riband releases: they were an all-around good match for a competent kit or scratch build, and anything that needed adjustment was thereby within my capability. Judging from the way most of the first decade's releases flew off the shelves I wasn't alone.

'Gashy' is rather strong ('ghastly', 'hideous') all they really need is the cosmetic surgery to remove the mountainous roof ribs, and a coating of BR(ER) coach roof standard filth. Which reminds me, now the sun is appearing I have a few more cheap acquisitions to be given the treatment; always in good daylight to ensure a clean job...

I bought the early ones too, which have an additional problem: the blue won't match these new ones as Bachmann have improved it in recent years. 

I bought s/h Bachmann Mk1 to try to make a decent job of it, using some of @jjnewitt's bogies. Spent a while trying to hide the gashes yawning chasm where the sides meet the ends and decided it wasn't worth it - it involved removing the bufferbeams from the body and fitting them  to the u/frame so that body and u/f could be separated; the ends could then be attached to the body and the chasm closed with filler, but the sides and ends just wouldn't mate up. So I binned it - the model is too long in the tooth for all that; it would still have had no window frames. 

Posted (edited)
47 minutes ago, Fredo said:

Thanks Bob, do you know which month in 1960 the Mark 1 RB’s 1701-1738 were built? Fred

Parkin, gives the Lot, 30512 covering 1701-1738 having been completed in January 1961 so I'd imagine the bulk would have been completed towards the end of 1960.

Robert Carroll's list back on Page 2 gives the various initial allocations.

Bob

Edited by Bob Reid
Note re-allocations added.

I think the doors could do with some more work around the droplights, the corners 

are not rounded enough. To my eye Bachmann have copied the very earliest style

of ' composite ' door from 1951 which had a wooden frame, and soon caused problems.

• Informative/Useful 1

22 minutes ago, trevor7598 said:

I think the doors could do with some more work around the droplights, the corners 

are not rounded enough. To my eye Bachmann have copied the very earliest style

of ' composite ' door from 1951 which had a wooden frame, and soon caused problems.

The droplight aperture looks fine to me Trevor.  The majority of the doors we replaced / reskinned apart from the alloy doors, were composite anyway (wood frame / mild steel door pan) only differing in that they did not use the separate front steel panels that rotted at the joint to the wood frame below the droplight. 

Bob

• Informative/Useful 1

I do like the van area cage in the BSO, similar to that employed in the Mk2fs. Something that really lets down the otherwise excellent BSK and BCK (though not impossible to model oneself with a bit of work)

• RMweb Gold

FO looks like a winner.

I’m glad that attention is being paid to making them fit existing rakes.
Having to replace a whole rake because of height, width or livery match wouldnt be on my cards.

Indication of the BSOT being on the cards.

Modern ones to come, a rake of intercity swallow white roof stock would be very nice and i can finally put my Replica ones to bed.

WCRC FO is the big gap for me.

Keen to see the new bogies and how they compare, if these are a big improvement I wonder if they would sell them for upgrading existing stock.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• Moderators

39-800 BR MK1 BSO Brake Second Open BR Crimson & Cream £           67.95

39-800.jpg

39-801BR MK1 BSO Brake Second Open BR Maroon £           67.95

39-801.jpg

39-801A BR MK1 BSO Brake Second Open BR Maroon £           67.95

39-801A-01.jpg

39-802 BR MK1 BSO Brake Second Open BR Chocolate & Cream £           67.95

39-802.jpg

39-825 BR MK1 FO First Open BR Crimson & Cream £           67.95

39-825.jpg

39-825A BR MK1 FO First Open BR Crimson & Cream £           67.95

39-825A.jpg

39-826 BR MK1 FO First Open BR Maroon £           67.95

39-826.jpg

39-826A BR MK1 FO First Open BR Maroon £           67.95

39-826A.jpg

39-827 BR MK1 FO First Open BR Chocolate & Cream £           67.95

39-827.jpg

39-850 BR MK1 RB Restaurant Buffet BR Maroon £           67.95

39-850.jpg

39-850A BR MK1 RB Restaurant Buffet BR Maroon £           67.95

39-850A.jpg

39-851BR MK1 RB Restaurant Buffet BR Chocolate & Cream £           67.95

39-851-01.jpg

39-852 BR MK1 RB Restaurant Buffet BR (SR) Green £           67.95

39-852-01.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)

An SC numbered Maroon RB (as always an E numbered one is out first - no thank you) will be headed my way since it should be a better match with the other Bachmann Maroon Mk1s, but I think I will stick with the Hornby BR(S) green RB as that runs with Hornby’s Maunsell and Bulleid coaches. Will be interested to see Bachmann’s green though as it doesn’t look the same as the latest BR(S) green on Bulleid set 69 which we were told would be their new version of the colour to be used on all coaches. Was that new colour not well received? I think it’s quite accurate.

Looks like it will be next year though before blue/grey RBR and BSO(T)s, which I do want, are available. 

Edited by brushman47544

14 minutes ago, ThaneofFife said:

And i thought we had already seen a mk1 RBR in blue and grey and executive??  Possibly under the Blue Riband branding.....

Fraid not, just the Mk1 RU up to now.

Bob

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)

As I slowly collect coaches for my eventual layout extension, these look good but the lack of lighting is a shame, though the pickups will help installing this. The other requirement is blue and grey or IC livery so I’ll keep a lookout for them.

Edited by 97406
  • Like 1

It looks like the chocolate & cream FO is going to be W3085.  If that is the case, Bachmann should do it with B4 bogies, because that is how W3085 was in real life when it was in chocolate & cream as part of the Bristolian set.

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, acourtrail said:

It looks like the chocolate & cream FO is going to be W3085.  If that is the case, Bachmann should do it with B4 bogies, because that is how W3085 was in real life when it was in chocolate & cream as part of the Bristolian set.

W3085  was fitted with prototype B4 bogies in 1962  (which are very different to production B4 bogies)

It was built new in 1959 by BRCW with BR1 bogies.

Edited by EE 8SVT
  • Like 1

When I saw this announcements about the FO vehicle I had to check what was on my layout and I have two Bachmann FO - 39-241

https://www.hattons.co.uk/107224/bachmann_branchline_39_241_mk1_fo_first_open_m3000_in_br_maroon/stockdetail

It is interesting that Bachmann produced a type of vehicle that BR only built 3 of - E3000 - E3002

The next batches of FO vehicles had centre doors and these were more common and what is now being released.

Peter

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

It's good to see more BSO representation in RTR.

Is the RB a duplicate from a relatively recent Hornby release? Or was that an RBR?

Also, was there ever an RSO coach produced in OO?

1 hour ago, Peter749 said:

When I saw this announcements about the FO vehicle I had to check what was on my layout and I have two Bachmann FO - 39-241

https://www.hattons.co.uk/107224/bachmann_branchline_39_241_mk1_fo_first_open_m3000_in_br_maroon/stockdetail

It is interesting that Bachmann produced a type of vehicle that BR only built 3 of - E3000 - E3002

I think they used the compartment side of the FK on both sides so they produced it without having to tool new sides. There were also 11 RFOs with the same bodystyle.

I find it. A shame they haven’t done a WCRC FO just for them to come out at a similar time to the other WCRC Mk.1’s. In future I’d quite like some riviera ones in chocolate and custard, maybe with and without centre door? Depends on what the tooling is capable of…

• Like 1