The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Gwiwer said:

Just don't get caught on-road with red diesel in the tank.  Checks are carried out here. Not very often and mostly in rural areas but drivers of any vehicle found with red diesel will face a hefty fine, plus duty, unless they can prove entitlement to drive on-road using that fuel.  

The slightly dodgy builder around the corner got caught doing just that by an HMRC inspection team.

It cost him £1000.

• Like 17

8 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

On the Swiss site, the company restaurant had wine and beer available and it was not unknown for people to have a glass of wine or beer at lunch - the company trusting its employees to behave like mature adults, whereas on the American affiliate site (run mostly by Americans, although some Swiss were seconded there for tours of duty) if you were found with any alcohol on the company site - even if in a sealed container - it was an immediately sackable offence....

In practice alcohol use in a white collar work space is highly variable. The company I worked for hosted something they called "Friday Afternoon Club" for software teams every Friday and alcohol (craft beer and wine) was served. For a while my department had a very informal Friday evening craft beer event. We had a 'fridge and it contained beer. We would open it if the situation called for it. We didn't have any at lunch.

Most business entertainment at lunchtime (at least in my industry) did not include alcohol - except in Milwaukee where it was normal. Business entertainment in the evening routinely involved alcohol.

In the same company's Finnish and Swedish offices, "small beer" was routinely served by the cafeteria/canteen. These of course were low alcohol. There was wine in the Paris office.

8 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

How much of this attitude was down to the US management team not trusting the employees; local, state or national law or the rather funny love-hate relationship that exists in America for alcohol, I couldn't begin to speculate upon...

Much will depend on the nature of the business. If there is a manufacturing operation where alcohol use might be dangerous, it is likely that a "one size fits all" no alcohol policy will be enforced.

It can also be influenced (like Andrew's story) by executives with a temperance mindset, or the "institutional memory" of an incident where alcohol use in the office caused a serious problem.

The Prohibition movement certainly was about alcohol. More importantly it was a social movement fueled by rural Americans, particularly women (who could not at that point vote) against immigration and urbanization motivated by fear of their world changing. Alcohol was put up as the proxy cause for changes that frightened them. Strong echos of this (unrelated to alcohol) can be seen in current US politics.

I have lived here for 34 years. For a long time I wondered about many aspects of the US mindset that differ from other English-speaking democracies things like - guns, religiosity, alcohol and immigration*.  My epiphany was the realization that these all stem from how colonization happened in the 17th century. "The Cousins' Wars : Religion, Politics and the Triumph of Anglo-America" by Kevin Phillips articulates this very cogently.

* More similarities there today between the US and the UK and Australia than there used to be. 

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 8

16 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

In practice alcohol use in a white collar work space is highly variable.

Mike, I came here thirty years before you and the three Martini lunch was the norm then.  I used to go with my boss to a local restaurant where everyone else had the same idea.  Not for me though - couldn't take that especially at midday with work to do in the PM.

Brian.

• Like 15
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Nice to see Pete back again and keep coming back again.

Exactly the same in local government. Then they got (more capable) lower minions to do the work that they were paid for, and in many cases passed it off as their own. Though I do know of one of those lower minions who deliberately made a hash of some work shortly before he retired knowing that the person in charge wouldn't have a clue about what to do about it. Teas brewing, be back later.

SWMBO had the same problem in her last job, so she took to embedding her name into the computer files,  knowing her boss had no idea about computers.. 

• Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5

31 minutes ago, brianusa said:

Mike, I came here thirty years before you and the three Martini lunch was the norm then.  I used to go with my boss to a local restaurant where everyone else had the same idea.  Not for me though - couldn't take that especially at midday with work to do in the PM.

Yes, the three Martini lunch is only found on "Mad Men" these days. 

Colleagues of mine in a North Carolina office had a watering hole they went to for Friday lunch for beers. It was their version of POETS. Not much work got done when they came back. One of them was a tequila fan (Patron) and would occasionally break some out.

• Like 16

2 minutes ago, trisonic said:

As anyone knows who's ever been, New York City is never quiet.

One of the late night comics said that "the city that never sleeps now lies awake all night in existential dread".

It's nice to have you drop by Pete.

• Like 16

2 hours ago, Andrew P said:

Good to see you back Pete.:good:

I'm moving back to Hampshire / England soon and the old Band will be getting back together, My Wife has bought me a nice Benson Jazz Bass for my 70th in a couple of weeks time and today I've ordered a Daphne ( Wife's real name) Blue Squire Jazz with Alnico Pick ups.

IMG_1491.JPG.ca9aa342fba4fb9f3b4d746ea5c8aa10.JPG

preview_1.jpg.338431546dc61d719ffd51843eff1e19.jpg

At least you have your music to keep you sane in these troubled times.

Stay safe and thanks again for checking in.

Ooh, Nice! I bought a Squier PJ Bass (to keep my hand in) in 3 colour 'Burst. I have a Daphne Blue Strat. I think it is the rarest of colours. Harley Benson stuff looks really good. You get it direct from Thomann in Germany?

Cheers, Pete.

• Like 13
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 09/04/2020 at 21:34, trisonic said:

Ooh, Nice! I bought a Squier PJ Bass (to keep my hand in) in 3 colour 'Burst. I have a Daphne Blue Strat. I think it is the rarest of colours. Harley Benson stuff looks really good. You get it direct from Thomann in Germany?

Cheers, Pete.

Ignore Pete, I've bought one.:good:

Honest opinion please Pete, how do you rate the PJ, as that was my first choice in Race Red, although I would have changed the scratch plate from black to white.

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 8

• RMweb Premium
17 hours ago, AndyID said:

Our car insurer and several other insurance companies in the US have announced that they will be giving us a refund because of the greatly reduced number of road accidents. Are the UK insurers doing that too?

Dream on.  My insurance company would probably use it as an excuse not to pay out, as I said I do 10K miles a year and I clearly don't.....

11 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

Oops nearly forgot >>

https://www.mirror.co.uk/3am/celebrity-news/giant-pandas-finally-mate-after-21834732#source=push

What did they think would happen? Few would want to do it with the world and his wife looking on.

Oh, I dunno.  Simon Cowell was once offered $150K by a couple to come to their home and critique them while they had sex.....

6 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

Oddly I seem to get that every year with my car insurer.  

1. The quote for auto-renewal l arrives in the post, I let if t fester for a while

2.  With only a few days to ge before renewal I call the insurer and imply that I have been checking prices elsewhere and their price is looking like a bad deal,

3. The  person on the 'phone is obviously keen for the company not to lose business so goes through all sorts of ideas about how to shave the cost which have a couple of times included 'well as you're a regular customer I think I can do something more for you'.

4.  Net result is that this current year's car insurance is about £50 + cheaper than last year's insurance which was in any case cheaper than the cover for the year before that.  Similarly - apart from being billed twice - this year's travel insurance was £100+  cheaper than last year's travel insurance (before I cancelled the policy, and got two refunds).

The following is worth a read:

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/2019/12/car-insurance-optimum-time-to-buy/

1 hour ago, Happy Hippo said:

The slightly dodgy builder around the corner got caught doing just that by an HMRC inspection team.

It cost him £1000.

And HMRC are very good at it too.  They don't dip your tank, they break into the fuel line and take a sample from there.  So forget any ideas about clever fuel tanks with dummy sections containing a small amount of "proper" fuel....

• Like 13
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, BoD said:

Looking at the supermarket queues today I would guess that panic buying has been replaced by ‘Oh sh!t, the shops are closed for a whole day on Sunday” buying.

Idiots.

That's exactly why I did my weekly shop yesterday instead of today!

• Like 13

Today's weather is scintillating. Les dents des lions are laughing at me. I don't feel like weeding today. (All the bending triggers my reflux and makes me feel ill.) Nevertheless I should gird up some motivation and at least do a little bit while the sun shines. Like yesterday, we should see temperatures close to 24°C. 

At last I have opened the windows to get some fresh air inside after being closed up for months. There is a downside. A couple of days ago when I did a first round of weeding, I noticed many pools of pollen in the driveway. This much pollen can only be from the Douglas firs, which produce a prodigious amount. My eyes were itchy and my nose has been running for a couple of days. These days any respiratory symptoms cause irrational anxiety even when not connected to the dreadful lurgy.

The previous couple of weeks were rainy and cool (>10°C cooler). I found myself with the TV babbling away as background noise and getting busy by digging into my stash of complex LEGO kits. I'm happy to share the results if any are interested. The Harley Davidson kit was brilliantly executed. with bricks at all kinds of unusual angles. It actually features working pistons, even though they are quite invisible in the finished model.

I do have a question for London bus experts. Leaving aside the punny destinations (this is the number 9 to "Brickston", stopping at Brickadilly Circus, etc) there are two sets of alternative license plates - one in black and a front plate in white with a back plate in yellow.

Can anyone help me with the significance/relevance of these plates?

Routemaster.PNG.50e398c8c34966964279e28fca9d9ec3.PNG

• Like 14