The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, polybear said:

.  Apparently the queue outside today was a hundred yards long......

At least from the North Pole it can be in only one direction. When Aditi went to our chemist last week the queue outside was short but contained a woman who couldn’t stand still and two men who had no idea of how to join a queue so started a new one. 
Tony

• Friendly/supportive 16

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Can anyone help me with the significance/relevance of these plates?

Too many numbers to be representations of genuine GB plates!

• Like 7
  • Agree 9
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Tony_S said:

Too many numbers to be representations of genuine GB plates!

The digits are not meant to be accurate - probably the designers initials or something. The numerals are the set number. 

My question was about the colours.

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

I do have a question for London bus experts. Leaving aside the punny destinations (this is the number 9 to "Brickston", stopping at Brickadilly Circus, etc) there are two sets of alternative license plates - one in black and a front plate in white with a back plate in yellow.

Can anyone help me with the significance/relevance of these plates?

Routemaster.PNG.50e398c8c34966964279e28fca9d9ec3.PNG

The black plates are the old style that would probably have been fitted when the bus was built. The white and yellow ones were optional for a few years, I think in the early 80's, and then became compulsory on new vehicles. I'm not sure whether the bus companies fitted new style plates to older vehicles. Perhaps bus experts such as Gwiwer will be able to help further. The number doesn't look correct to me though. AFAIK the were always of 6 digits, either three letters and three numbers  or 2 letters and 4 numbers until about 1964/5  when a year letter was added as a suffix to allow for more registration numbers.  

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 5
  • Agree 8
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, jamie92208 said:

The black plates are the old style that would probably have been fitted when the bus was built. The white and yellow ones were optional for a few years, I think in the early 80's, and then became compulsory on new vehicles.

Thanks Jamie, that's exactly what I was hoping for.

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium
19 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

The black plates are the old style that would probably have been fitted when the bus was built. The white and yellow ones werw otional forva few years, I think in the early 80's, and then became compulsory on new vehicles. I'm not sure whether the bus companies fitted new style plates to older vehicles. Perhaps bus experts such as Gwiwer will be able to help further. The number doesn't look correct to me though. AFAIK the were always of 6 digits, either three letters and three numbers  or 2 letters and 4 numbers until about 1964/5  when a year letter was added as a suffix to allow for more registration numbers.  

Jamie

Black on white at the front, black on yellow at the rear.

We had a L reg car (Bright yellow Ford Consul RTD 817L.......!) that was one of the first to have the white/black and yellow/black plates when it was optional - so 1972. 

ISTR that London buses were still allowed to be white on black, long after the legal requirement for black on white/yellow on white.

I'm sure that Rick will confirm/deny as appropriate.

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 9
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 4

2 minutes ago, AndyID said:

That's hardly surprising.

With recent tragic workplace shooting there it was very weird to see Milwaukee's Miller Brewery described in the press as Molson-Coors. The long tradition of German immigrant brewers on Milwaukee is still (or I presume it is) a big part of the local culture and identity.

I took the Miller Brewery tour back while I lived in Chicago (mid-1990s). I enjoyed it. This was in the days where craft brewing was taking off but had not much penetrated the overall market.

• Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, laurenceb said:

London Transport (or whatever name they were using that week) were using black & white plates untill the mid eighty's

A 1985/6 registered MCW.

Vintage rail replacement

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 7

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

With recent tragic workplace shooting there it was very weird to see Milwaukee's Miller Brewery described in the press as Molson-Coors. 

The latter took over Bass in Burton-on-Trent and one of the first things they did was close the museum as not financially viable ... fortunately someone somewhere had some sense and it became The National Museum of Brewing and is very well worth a visit.  Burton Railway Society (not got the name quite right) restored the locomotive some years back and still make sure it is 'presentable'.

When DEMU exhibited in the Town Hall the museum was included so it was excellent value.  DEMU this year was due to be held in Swadlincote - a good site and would avoid the 'close proximity' of the Burton Town Hall and the problems that DEMU had  there in recent years.

Edited by PeterBB
Correction of their to there!
  • Like 8
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 9

On 08/04/2020 at 14:19, AndyID said:

The "constitution thumpers" a bit north of here are saying the Governor doesn't have the right to prevent people assembling in groups of any size.

I see that not north of you but south near Boise, the "acquitted in a mistrial with prejudice" for 16 varying counts, including but not limited to conspiracy, assault, threatening and interference of interstate commerce by extortion, ringleader of the Malheur Wildlife Refuge occupation is planning an Easter gathering in defiance of the Governor of Idaho's order.

• Informative/Useful 4
  • Friendly/supportive 11