RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
58 minutes ago, J. S. Bach said:

Probably the 27G type. I am sure that they rode a lot better than the original "plate frame" types mentioned earlier.

Most tramway technology was developed in the US. Milnes grew out of Starbuck. Starbuck was the engineer for George Francis Train who brought tramways to the UK from the US.  When Starbuck decided to go home to Seattle his works manager, G F Milnes took the companynover. It's premises were on Clevaland Street in Birkenhead and are still there. Milnes was taken over bt Dick Kerr and eventually that became part of Alstom via EE and GEC. Alstom still build trams but not in Birkenhead.

Jamie.

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 10

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, J. S. Bach said:

Probably the 27G type. I am sure that they rode a lot better than the original "plate frame" types mentioned earlier.

Close - 27Cx apparently.  It would be hard for any truck to ride worse than the Milnes plate frames, the trailers have them and the ride is atrocious.  But you can't beat riding on the 'toastracks' !  The track has had a lot of investment over the last 10 years so they are now bearable, none of the surviving (all but 4 of the 32 survive in some form, the 4 were lost in a fire in 1930) power cars have plate frame trucks now thankfully, the non-Brill ones have British Brush trucks.

• Informative/Useful 13

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

ISTR there was a Brill Tramway in Bucks....

And ISTR you writing about it. (And I'm glad you did, rather inspirational). Now all I have to do is build the model I sketched out.

Un lapin blanc: plus d'excuses qu'un pilote de F1... 

• Like 9
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium

There are many definitions of a perfect weekend. Given that we are all unique and prone to moods (I hear, "speak for yourself" being shouted through from the kitchen) of differing flights and fancies, then assuming an average level of human indecisiveness, I think we're up to around 100 billion definitions already. Well, I didn't win the Lottery or encounter a bevy of nudist supermodels on the beach or get to punch [insert name of politician of choice] in the mouth - but I did get to make some progress with the garden. And have a nice beef bourguignon with our own onions and carrots (and find out how to spell bourguignon, though the site's spellchecker disagrees) and catch up with some personal emails and Wheeltappers. And play with a chocolate cake recipe with some new ingredients - results only OK but I got some cracking ideas for next time. And get away from work for two days and people being inconsistent and critical for the sake of it. 

On a boring level, I caught up with some outstanding 'housekeeping' niggles and managed to order some necessary oddments. I had an email saying the autocar newsletters should be with me early next week, so that's an evening addressing and stuffing envelopes to come, though in the current circumstances, I think it's nice to try and maintain as close to a normal 'service' as possible. (Incidentally, I should acknowledge others who put in more than I can at the moment, another small fillip was the arrival of the OO9 News and from what I hear, the despatch of these (2000 odd) is due solely to Bill Luty - puts my efforts re our 120 copies firmly in the shade. All credit to him and I hope he gets full recognition for his efforts). 

So no earth-shattering news or life-changing events. But we made some progress and had a little amusement on the way. I'll settle for that. 

• Like 15
  • Friendly/supportive 3

Phew!

A busy week.

Watching rich House poor house.

Makes me sad there's families out there that have just £155 spare cash a week, yet there are people that have £1791 spare cash a week.

Sorry but I really don't think any job is worth that you have £1791 a week that is literally SPARE cash.

However, got my rock casts on the layout and will paint them tomorrow. Signals are in and very nearly working (only one that doesn't as yet). 

Work has been okay too, which is good.

Night all!

Edited by Sir TophamHatt
  • Like 12
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, chrisf said:
9 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

Don’t you mean “drop bears”?

No.  A koala is not a bear but a marsupial.  Not enough people know that.

Ah yes.  Koalas.  Cute, cuddly icons of that land down under.  Drop Bears are far more dangerous and attack without warning.  They seem to prefer British visitors to locals.  

The only known protection is rubbing Vegemite behind your ears :jester:

6 hours ago, New Haven Neil said:

These Brill trucks hail from further afield - Americy IIRC

Also associated to the best of my knowledge with Brill streetcars / trams which were often of a particular and easily recognisable design.  

I doubt I shall be awake to post on page 8888.  It's time to farewell the weekend and look forward to future times.  Sleep well.  

• Like 15
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
26 minutes ago, Sir TophamHatt said:

Watching rich House poor house.

Makes me sad there's families out there that have just £155 spare cash a week, yet there are people that have £1791 spare cash a week.

Sorry but I really don't think any job is worth that you have £1791 a week that is literally SPARE cash.

Not a programme I've ever watched; however if the definition of spare cash is once all household bills, food etc. has been paid for then I'd suggest they aren't too badly off. 

• Like 5
  • Agree 8
  • Friendly/supportive 1

16 minutes ago, Erichill16 said:

Evening,

Not a bad day for me got the usual chores done and managed a bit of time in the shed.
Unfortunately Bil and family were going to Spain next week for a holiday and I think that’s not going to happen, really feel for the kids.

Mum rang up this afternoon to say she’s had a fall and sister sent a picture. Mums really made a mess of her face, one eye is heavily bruised and completely closed and it’s going to take some time to heal.
On a personal and selfish note Im disappointed about Bills holiday as Sydney was coming on holiday for a week to our house.
I hope Beth is feeling a bit better and Baz has had a good day in his white coat.  Think it must be a late finish again as I don’t think he’s reported in yet.

Good night

Robert

Gosh Robert, I remember when my Mum had a fall, it's a very worrying time. I do hope she's going to be O.K.

All the best.

• Like 1
  • Agree 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 9

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Done a bit more tidying up ready for the arrival of the new shed on Wednesday. It will be sited alongside the California lilac so I've tidied that plant up underneath the canopy were it will not be accessible once the shed is up. There is a hole underneath the shrub where there used to be a cherry tree. I've been filling it with broken tiles to discourage the foxes from making a den. Thats it for now, be back later.

• Like 13
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone

We’ve had some rather good weather here today, although there were a few dark clouds around dinner time, thankfully the rain held off, but are forecast some during the night. 

As I mentioned earlier this morning, work continued on the turntable control panel. I managed to get the holes drilled for 15 point operating switches and 30 indicator LEDs this morning. After dinner I fitted all the switches and LEDs to make sure it all fitted and good ok. Once happy, all the switches, buttons, LEDs, sockets and hinges etc was removed from the panel and it was given a good rub down with fine sand paper and it is now in the cellar ready for painting. The photo below shows everything in place. 

6709E5CA-EB54-44CF-9666-53C20D4A545D.jpeg.1a644f44bc3a442d5e3c1f93004ab6e7.jpeg

Goodnight all

• Like 14
  • Thanks 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1