RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

18 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

I managed to get myself ready and set off early for my 3pm in Leigh on Sea for my hearing test. The sound proof box was faulty but they have portable units for home visits. Anyway the test went well and pretty well confirmed by own belief/observations of the state of my hearing over the last year. It was however not just a case of boosting the default amplification but tweaking certain frequency bands. 
I got a cup of tea and a biscuit too!
Tony

Clear evidence of the North/South divide that. Preferential treatment obviously.

• Like 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4

5 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

My problem was hearing broadcast sound or the beginning of any sentence Aditi said to me. It turned out my hearing was particularly deficient in the female speech frequency range.

Some might argue that's a superpower not a disability. 😄

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 14

• RMweb Premium
20 minutes ago, Coombe Barton said:

I believe There's one or two that got through the channel tunnel before that route was blocked.

And some ancestors may have walked before the tide rose at least 100,000 years ago..

• Like 14
  • Informative/Useful 1

10 minutes ago, TheQ said:

I believe There's one or two that got through the channel tunnel before that route was blocked.

And some ancestors may have walked before the tide rose at least 100,000 years ago..

Britain was completely unpopulated until about 10,000 years ago, so the people who walked were the Mesolithic strand lopers, who were supplanted largely by the people bringing agriculture - and they came in boats as the Channel had by that time reformed.

• Like 8
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
20 minutes ago, Coombe Barton said:

Britain was completely unpopulated until about 10,000 years ago, so the people who walked were the Mesolithic strand lopers, who were supplanted largely by the people bringing agriculture - and they came in boats as the Channel had by that time reformed.

At least 10,000 years ago.

https://www.nhm.ac.uk/discover/cheddar-man-mesolithic-britain-blue-eyed-boy.html

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 7

29 minutes ago, Coombe Barton said:

Which reminds me of a sketch by Stewart Lee where he talks of a certain leader of a certain political party asking the brightest and best people who arrived in boats throughout the ages not to come to Britain bringing their language, skills, cuisine and wares.

"The brightest and best fish need to stay in the sea and concentrate on making it aquatically prosperous"

Edited by woodenhead
  • Like 10
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

When we did the history of Britain at school I was always concerned about what happened to the Beaker People. Fortunately I found out  a few years ago while wandering through a museum in Dublin. 

• Like 13
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

I note that a number of posters want the authorities to "get off their **** and do what they are supposed to do" but to no avail.

However, it also seems that they are also afeared that should they "DIY" (so to speak) they will "get their collars felt" by the local plod and get banged up in the chokey.

My advice?

STOP THINKING LIKE A LAW ABIDING CITIZEN AND START THINKING LIKE A CRIMINAL!

As a multitude of UK newspaper articles repeatedly report, even brazen criminality (shop lifting, assault, etc) receives scant -  if any - police attention nowadays.

As long as you don't use the wrong pronouns, say that science is better than ideology or do 21 mph on a 20mph 3-lane motorway (amongst a few other things) then you should remain "under the radar" (so to speak).

And, in the very temote possibility you DO get nicked, claim that what you did was "an integral part of your culture" and claim you ate being persecuted "because of your beliefs". At the worst you may end up with 2 hours of community service!

• Like 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3
  • Round of applause 3

3 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

I note that a number of posters want the authorities to "get off their **** and do what they are supposed to do" but to no avail.

However, it also seems that they are also afeared that should they "DIY" (so to speak) they will "get their collars felt" by the local plod and get banged up in the chokey.

My advice?

As a multitude of UK newspaper articles repeatedly report, even brazen criminality (shop lifting, assault, etc) receives scant -  if any - police attention nowadays.

As long as you don't use the wrong pronouns, say that science is better than ideology or do 21 mph on a 20mph 3-lane motorway (amongst a few other things) then you should remain "under the radar" (so to speak).

And, in the very temote possibility you DO get nicked, claim that what you did was "an integral part of your culture" and claim you ate being persecuted "because of your beliefs". At the worst you may end up with 2 hours of community service!

Totally agree. Don’t think traditionally. You are playing by some else’s rules.

Also…think! These aren’t your b@llsh!t rules and it ain’t your game….but you can be better at playing it than they are! 

Remember you can always self identify as anything you like! 

Totally learnt that at the UK largest metropolitan transport organisation…..and I got a certificate…and everything! 

• Like 8

18 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

When we did the history of Britain at school I was always concerned about what happened to the Beaker People. Fortunately I found out  a few years ago while wandering through a museum in Dublin. 

What's wrong with just drinking out of our hands?

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 3
  • Funny 9

21 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

I take it that you don’t mean ‘Beaker’? 

He made it massive with a career in Death Metal….Ta Da! 

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 9

Although Beaker’s career was totally upstaged by Cookie Monster’s career….OMG i have totally cracked a few ribs and busted my nose in the mosh pit to this classic. …

• Like 1
  • Funny 10

• RMweb Premium
17 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

My advice?

At a time when the UK is desperately short of Docs. this F. nonsense is just plain Nutz:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/c0x0zzey7lpo

• Agree 7

Just been watching a piece on YouTube comparing the finales of various interpretations of Mahler's 2nd Symphony - as you do on a wet Monday afternoon...

Very impressed by the performance of the Santa Cruz Symphony Orchestra, conducted by Daniel Stewart. Spine tingling. 

• Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

14 minutes ago, Grizz said:

Although Beaker’s career was totally upstaged by Cookie Monster’s career….OMG i have totally cracked a few ribs and busted my nose in the mosh pit to this classic. …

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Premium
41 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

My advice?

And in the very rare event that you do get caught....and you do get hauled up in front of The Beak.....utter that cast-iron fool-proof defence.....

"iD told me to"

• Like 1
  • Funny 12

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Coombe Barton said:

From Wikipedia:

Several species of humans have intermittently occupied Great Britain for almost a million years. The earliest evidence of human occupation around 900,000 years ago is at Happisburgh on the Norfolk coast, with stone tools and footprints probably made by  antecessor. The oldest human fossils, around 500,000 years old, are of  heidelbergensis at Boxgrove in Sussex. Until this time Britain had been permanently connected to the Continent by a chalk ridge between South East England and northern France called the Weald-Artois Anticline, but during the Anglian Glaciation around 425,000 years ago a megaflood broke through the ridge, and Britain became an island when sea levels rose during the following Hoxnian interglacial.

Fossils of very early Neanderthals dating to around 400,000 years ago have been found at Swanscombe in Kent, and of classic Neanderthals about 225,000 years old at Pontnewydd in Wales. Britain was unoccupied by humans between 180,000 and 60,000 years ago, when Neanderthals returned. By 40,000 years ago they had become extinct and modern humans had reached Britain.

Dave

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 15

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

From Wikipedia:

Several species of humans have intermittently occupied Great Britain for almost a million years. The earliest evidence of human occupation around 900,000 years ago is at Happisburgh on the Norfolk coast, with stone tools and footprints probably made by  antecessor.

According to No. 1 Son, geologists and in particular glaciologists are highly sceptical of that very early date for the Happisburgh footprints, for highly technical reasons that I only half-understood when explained to me and have now forgotten.

• Like 5
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 7
  • Funny 4

6 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

Britain was unoccupied by humans between 180,000 and 60,000 years ago, when Neanderthals returned. By 40,000 years ago they had become extinct and modern humans had reached Britain.

Yeaaaaah…..about that last bit. Totally sure that at least one has slipped through the net. 

You should have met some of the specimens I have had to work with over the years. 

Hey maybe if we got them tested……obviously for the benefit of science and stuff…..……

……..personally I’d recommend dissection as Plan A……….don’t even need a Plan B….

Hey don’t judge me….you've never them! 

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 10
  • Friendly/supportive 1

59 minutes ago, polybear said:

.....utter that cast-iron fool-proof defence.....

"iD told me to"

Sorry PB, that wouldn't work - no matter who you claim told you to do it, you still have responsibility for your actions.

However.....

However, if you said to the Judge "a Polybear came to me in a dream and together with the Easter Bunny, Father Christmas and the Local GP* told me that it was the Holy Command of The Great God of Pasta Buitoni [may he always be al dente] that I do it" the Judge will regard you as criminally insane and send you to a nice comfy rubber room instead of a cold cell surrounded by dangerous scrotes...

* it perhaps doesn't need repeating that these are entirely mythical beings.,,

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 2
  • Funny 10