Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Interestingly, there are also questions surrounding the oldest footprints found in the Americas (in New Mexico) that are also much older than previously suspected. They suggest that humans were in the area between 22,000 and 23,000 years ago, much earlier than previous estimates. The latest evidence from last October suggests that this may be true but it remains a debated finding.

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/oldest-fossil-human-footprints-in-north-america-are-23000-years-old-study-reaffirms-180983018/

• Like 5
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 9

• RMweb Premium

It's 'liar weather' here now, looks glorious, sunny, blue skies, just a breeze - but feels rather cool, to say the least.  The thermy-o-meter indicates 13c, but for some reason it feels nothing like that.  Pottering in the garage with the doors open is OK, in garden isn't, so I earned Brownie Points by making a shelf in Herself's shed (oh yes, we have several) with hangy-up knobs on the edge like wot she asked for only three days ago.  This may be an all time record.  The questions over dinner will no doubt surround what I have bought without telling her, but surprisingly it is nothing!  There's time yet of course.

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. More eyelid inspection this afternoon hence a bit late on parade. Now dinner is ready, liver and bacon with mash and onion gravy plus veg.

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Tony_S said:

For,years we had our neighbours 3 daughters playing in their garden. The younger one has a spectacularly loud “outdoor” voice. They have all gone past playing outside age now but we thought it was quite nice hearing children play. If they were on their giant trampoline and we were in the garden they would talk to us as they bounced. The next door but one neighbours clearly didn’t like hearing children at play and I think  were looking for support to “complain”. I think Aditi’s enthusiastic support of the “lovely children” soon stopped us being considered as co-complainers. 

I often hear the two little girls (5 and 7) next door playing. They are delightful children.

• Like 12

7 hours ago, woodenhead said:

an extra long extension to the long pole that had the roller on

Well at least you know that with your acrobatic skills they are always looking for dextrous individuals to help paint the Forth rail bridge!

• Like 13
  • Agree 1

Smoke from a  hazard-reduction burn in the BLue Mountains to the west is probably no good for the lungs but has led to a gorgeous sunset last night, and this mornings sunrise was epic too, starting dark red, then pink then through to orange.

I couldn't get outside to get a photo because Gary The Parrot ws on my shoulder and wouldn't get off, but the Sydney Live webcam caught a bit of the orange stage and is a more interesting view  so it'll have to do instead. The sun is rising out of shot  on the left hand side of the photo so you don't get the full effect unfortunately. 

Screenshot(298).png.1af161cb5309e6190e2443465529ea0b.png

Hmmm, some cloud, that's disappointing, the last few days have been lovely!

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 19

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, jamie92208 said:
8 hours ago, woodenhead said:

Yes there was nothing ordinary about my conception 🤣

Does that mean you were a shot in the dark. 

That might give rise to a misconception

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 13

• RMweb Premium
25 minutes ago, Captain Cuttle said:

And look relatively clean much more so than did the poor old Achille Lauro with its original 1947 Sulzers.

That was my first ship in 197....err.....6 or so, and was fairly old by then - it was a Sulzer 9RND90  (IIRO 25,000hp), Japanese (Mitsubishi) built  120,000 ton bulk carrier, and a good ship with a good engine and was clean for an old ship.  The Stirling Bridge, later sold to Shell as the Tagelus. The Lauro, ooerr, not my cup of tea!

Stirling20Bridge-01.jpg.9324a6aae164b920c999ce6104809674.jpg

• Like 16
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

3 minutes ago, New Haven Neil said:

The Lauro, ooerr, not my cup of tea!

They did two lifeboat drills in Genoa  before that last trip and thrashed those engines and it had been pouring out black smoke for the last year or so. Evidence of that on one of Peter Knego's videos on MidShipCentury in September of 1994.

• Like 10
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

a  hazard-reduction burn in the BLue Mountains to the west

Not Kirribilli then?  That  might be a better place for a hazard-reduction burn.

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

G'devening all.  A busy old day today had been and no mistake.  Thursday cleaning was done this morning because visitors were expected after lunch.  They duly arrived and, as had been arranged with them previously, saws were brought and the dead cordyline tree was removed.  It now consists of three stumps each approximately 18" tall while the rest has been taken for recycling.  How does one recycle a tree?  One's friends take it in their car to a rural location, land which they happen to own, and place the cut sections alongside a stream.  Nature will then take its course over the coming years while we hope that wildlives, various, find a good home.  

So the tree is gone and a better and uninterrupted view of the cottage has arrived.  Surprisingly it doesn't look too bare.  We had tea and cake (lemon & basil for those playing at home) which was described as "lush" and they went on their way with nothing more for thanks than a brown muddling voucher.  That was as much as I could persuade them to take.  

Fission Chips were enjoyed for a slightly early dinner just before 6 as I was quite peckish.  The earliness of the feast allowed me to engage in a very "me" sort of evening.  Our open top "Coaster" bus has been running since Easter and I have already made a couple of trips on it but unusually - for a rural area and a route largely pitched at tourism - there are some evening trips.  So I boarded the 18.35 to St. Ives and Penzance and was pleasantly surprised to find I wasn't alone.  There were around ten others aboard and we even collected a few more at remote farms and isolated spots along the coast road.  With superb scenery and a lowering sun the cool conditions on the upper deck in the open-air didn't really bother me and I enjoyed the ride until we joined the main A30 towards Penzance.  At which point I opted for the lower deck having sat upstairs for 90 minutes of the two-hour trip.  And then back home aboard our little red evening bus.  One of those the council includes in its contracted services and which, again, was surprisingly well used for a Tuesday in April.  

When peak-season arrives there will be even later buses along the coast - later than there have been ever before.  I shall sample the 20.35 trip at some point, remarkably late in the evening for an open-top bus to be out but it doesn't reach Penzance until 22.30.  And there is still a bus home even at that hour as the last is at 23.20 thanks to us having a pro-public transport unitary authority who support such a service.  Which is, in turn, supported by a modest number of passengers most evenings.  

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, Captain Cuttle said:

They did two lifeboat drills in Genoa  before that last trip and thrashed those engines and it had been pouring out black smoke for the last year or so. Evidence of that on one of Peter Knego's videos on MidShipCentury in September of 1994.

That will have been what caused the crankcase explosion, that started the big fire.  Scary stuff......

• Like 7
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Our (SEERS) AGM on Thursday. At one time we used to run a few coach trips each year but we haven't run any at all in the last couple of years especially last year as coach hire charges went through the roof. This year though they have dropped considerably and trip suggestions will be put to the members. One already on the cards is the Chatham show on the 20/21 of July. I was going to suggest the K&ESR 50th anniversary gala but looking at the prices I'll be suggesting another weekend.

• Like 16
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone 

It seems like quite a while since I’ve done an evening post, but lately it seems that there aren’t enough hours in the day and I just couldn’t seem to find the time to post, keeping up with everyone else was enough. 

Anyway, back to today, we had some great weather, sunshine but a bit of a cool wind. Despite that, we had a lovely walk  at Dunham Massey, we saw lots of deer and plenty of birds (the feathered variety), but nothing unusual. This afternoon Charlie did come round, a bit later than usual, due to him getting his days mixed up! As usual, he continued working on his current model, whilst I built the chassis of what will be a small industrial 0-4-0 locomotive. I built the gearbox the other day and today I was able to install and test it the chassis. It ran well, but will benefit from running in, which I’ll do over the weekend. I also started modifying the body of an old Hornby loco to fit the chassis, but there’s still a bit of work to do there. 

• Like 18

• RMweb Gold
34 minutes ago, TheQ said:

Parathyroid disease seems unlikely as he has none of the symptoms...

Robbie had some tumours removed from his parathyroid. His symptoms really only presented as drinking a lot and elevated calcium levels. He had a parathyroid hormone test (frozen blood sample sent to special lab) . The vet removed the tumours, they were malignant but slow growing. Back then the parathyroid blood test for dogs was quite new. I had the same test for my parathyroid and had to have it done at the hospital. Done at outpatients clinics routinely now. 

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 13
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3