Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone 

It’s very wet and soggy out there today, so there’ll be no outside activities today. But, then again, none were planned, as we will shortly be setting off to collect Vickie, Ava and Evie before we head off for our monthly visit to our favourite cafe for a drink and a slice, what’s not to like? After that, we’ll drop Vickie and Evie back home and Ava will come back to ours for the rest of the day. The only thing we’ve got planned is to finish making the fruit tea loaf which I began last night and is currently soaking in a bowl. 

Bestgetamoveon, back later. 

Brian

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)

Happy Star Wars day - May the Fourth be with you.

Dave

Ah, just noticed that Roundhouse beat me to it 😗

Edited by Dave Hunt
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 5
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium

Mickey the Miele driven around the Conservatory, Kitchen n' Bathroom without incident; meanwhile Bertie the Bosch will be finishing the final cycle in a few minutes so Bear is looking forward (Huh?) to all the joys of danglin' washing out (well, in actually - cos' the racks are in the Conservatory with the Dehumidifier running).

It's all go at Bear Towers.....

BG

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, jjb1970 said:

There's a whole hobby of Land Rover Defender enthusiasts in Britain who pimp up their vehicles to be able to compete in the Paris-Dakar Rally or operate with the SAS in Afghanistan so they're properly prepared to make the arduous trip to Tesco or the next Land Rover show.

On a trailer towed by a Toyota...

• Funny 16

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, polybear said:

Mickey the Miele driven around the Conservatory, Kitchen n' Bathroom without incident; meanwhile Bertie the Bosch will be finishing the final cycle in a few minutes so Bear is looking forward (Huh?) to all the joys of danglin' washing out (well, in actually - cos' the racks are in the Conservatory with the Dehumidifier running).

It's all go at Bear Towers.....

BG

Earlier it wa grey, gloomy and damp outside so I assumed no washing was going outside. It is now clear blue sky with a few wispy clouds, loads of roof energy being generated, which we didn’t expect today. We were going to go to Canvey to,collect some parcels,delivered,to the M&S food store but there are delays. We can go on Tuesday, it was only some items I had ordered fro our holiday in July. Some shirts had mysteriously shrunk since last worn. Seriously though, my weight had hardly changed but it seems to have redistributed itself. It only seems to be an issue if I am supposed to wear something more formal than “casual”. 

• Friendly/supportive 17

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, skipepsi said:

On a trailer towed by a Toyota...

MiL has expressed a preference for my Land Rover over the Toyota she is otherwise transported in. She had mobility problems and the rear doors on the Corolla don’t open wide enough for her to get in. 

• Like 18
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, DaveF said:

It's rained just about all night, about 14mm so far but it is supposed to stop soon and then just be dull all day.  It's cool as well, 9°C now, it might reach 14°C by teatime.   I suppose the weather has realised it is a bank holiday weekend so it cannot be too good.

I had planned on some light gardening today and also planting some begonias in pots in the greenhouse.  That won't happen, once again the greenhouse has water inside it.

I'll probably end up scanning old photos again, the next batch are Dad and his brother in the 1930s, old photos of two schools grandfather had shares in, followed by an assortment starting in the early 20s going on to the 60s.  Some of them are interesting.  I think there are so many as my grandfather took quite a lot of photos.  He also took cine film, 16mm including railways but that seems to have been lost over the years.  I suspect it may have gone in one of grandmother's periodic clear outs after Grandad died.  She would have been very good at telling people how to declutter their homes, though after she died a lot of stuff was found, some quite valuable but they may have been her second husband's things.

Further down the pile are photos and documents of and about my Great Uncle who was a Lieutenant Colonel in the Sherwood Foresters, captured in Norway and taken to be seen by Hitler before spending the rest of the war in prison camps.   Sadly he died quite young in 1949 so I never knew him though he did see me just after I was born.

Three photos below.img473TugsbyForthBridge1939.jpg.dffa63b6b01a4bd911d0a4e9b8eac808.jpg

Guess where.  Grandparents holiday snap 1939

img197PatDavidNottinghamVictoria.jpg.265faccf18913a4af71e622f5485bd2c.jpg

Me with Mum at Nottingham Victoria learning about trainspotting

img236DavidBrighton.jpg.61abf5ad9019b6871a8f069d7246aef8.jpg

I've always liked cars - Brighton

David

Volks Electric Railway behind you.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

MiL has expressed a preference for my Land Rover over the Toyota she is otherwise transported in. She had mobility problems and the rear doors on the Corolla don’t open wide enough for her to get in. 

I too have that problem. I have to sit in the car first and swing my legs in which requires a wide door. The biggest problem though is a high sill, I should imagine that a Freelander has a high floor and no sills. That is why I was going to upsize anyway from the Hyundai before it was written off. My present car has a much lower sill than most cars but the drivers seat is a bit on the low side so I'm looking for a suitable booster seat.

• Friendly/supportive 16

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Grizz said:

Yeah and there’s another whole hobby of Land Rover Defender ‘Less than Enthusiastic’… who are doing their bit for the environment by allowing particles of rust to fall off of their vehicles every day as they bomb around the countryside, out farming, shooting and ‘off roading’ on what’s left of our highways road surfaces. There by making such vehicles more and more fuel efficient every day. 

Sometimes these particles of rust can amount to several kilos of metal and on one occasion they took the form of a whole back door! Still it is at times like that, that it makes you feel enormously proud to know that you are really doing your part to address world issues! 

I’m even considering writing to the Swedish Enviro Fascist to tell of my endeavours.

Might even get on the Nobel shortlist…..well probs somebody’s short list anyway! 

IIRC the back door of a Land Rover is aluminium, as is the rest of the bodywork.

• Like 7
  • Agree 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, Coombe Barton said:

unicycling Darth Vader playing the Star Wars theme on the bagpipes

There were a few occasions when I collected Aditi from work in Newham. The traffic there was interesting leading to comments from me like “do all unicycle riders have a death wish” . A few weeks later I repeated the journey and commented that the uni cyclist wasn’t there. Aditi said he had gone under a bus the week before.  
In Enfield driving at teatime/ early evening is chaotic. Huge numbers of mopeds and scooters with L plates are out delivering food. 

• Friendly/supportive 17

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. The arthritis is still playing up this morning so pills have been taken. Hopefully I'll be able to go to the toy fair at Rayleigh tomorrow and maybe even be able to visit a new model railway emporium nearby at Rawreth (open until 4 on Sundays). Like @polybear I've got heaps of washing to do so I'd better get on with it.

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 12

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

In Enfield driving at teatime/ early evening is chaotic. Huge numbers of mopeds and scooters with L plates are out delivering food. 

They have a bad reputation, are quite often uninsured and this:-

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-68558464

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hampshire-68928464

Edited by PhilJ W
  • Agree 9
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Premium

Some electric bicycles are closer to being motorbikes than bicycles, food delivery riders here are an absolute menace. Fortunately the electric scooter craze hasn't taken off here in the same way as in Europe and America.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 5
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

Every SUV and 4WD ute worth its salt here has a roobar, massive lights and a snorkel.  Outside the city I acknowledge that the bar and lights make a bit of  sense but I have no idea the thinking behind paying out $1000+ to add a snorkel on your shiny urban assault vehicle.

image.png.054b46d9d94f0c579f3157cd3ef36423.png

Well its Aus  , anything can happen ,  WARNING , NAUGHTY WORDS , BUT STANDARD AUS SPEAK .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SenqOmSjOUo

• Like 10

Having read about the rotten weather some of you are experiencing at the moment I can tell you that for once the Capital of the Principality has a beautiful sunny day. The lawn grass has dried enough that I have been able to give it the first cut of the year - until now it's been either too wet or too cold.

Dave

• Like 15
  • Round of applause 2

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, Sidecar Racer said:

Well its Aus  , anything can happen ,    WARNING , NAUGHTY WORDS , BUT STANDARD AUS SPEAK .

Come on! Who here has never uttered the words "F*#*!  I've just f*#%$&en crashed into a river,  dude! 

F*#*!      F*#*!  F*#*!  F@**! 

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 15

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, monkeysarefun said:

Come on! Who here has never uttered the words "F*#*!  I've just f*#%$&en crashed into a river,  dude! 

F*#*!      F*#*!  F*#*!  F@**! 

Well it does seem to  be a drastic way to test if  the door seals are good .

• Like 4
  • Agree 7
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)

Good afternoon from a wet and soggy Charente. Granddaughter and mum's spoken to this moaning.  She even read us a story and worked out how to say ratspit.  It was a story about Titch the Witch.  Th nurse then appeared change dressings.  After lu CH I attended a funeral in the village. Probably our oldest inhabitant at nearly 95. A lovely old lady who had married a German POW.  1kids, 25 grandkids, 10 great great grandkids and 4 great great grandkids. The family filled half the church.  Then back home for coffee and cake, 

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 14
  • Friendly/supportive 5