The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Ey up!

Got back from Bristol very late last night.. most of the M1 and M5 have 50mph limits for longgggg stretches. Can I claim delay repay off the Highwayys agency and their invisible repair contractors?

Today will be spent rearranging items which run on parallel bits of metal for storage purposes plus the odd repair.

Time to head for breakfast.

Baz

• Like 11
  • Friendly/supportive 8

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
37 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

Real cake? Or the usual 3 for £5 pure synthetic stuff favoured by A Certain Bear.

Yummy Cake.....

37 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

Would that be dry aged bacon from rare breed, high animal welfare standard free range pigs? On artisanal, stoneground flour, wood fired oven bread (or rolls)? Spread with unsalted butter?  With a dollop of Homemade brown sauce (or ketchup) completely free of additives, preservatives or any synthetic "enhancement"?

Thought not.

Yummy Bacon Sarnies.

As a Big Brave Fighter Jet Jockey the Sqn. Ldr. isn't averse to a risk or two....I'm sure the presence of the odd preservative and colouring isn't gonna frighten our esteemed brave soul off a large wedge of loveliness here n' there.....

.....unlike some I could mention......

Edited by polybear
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 16

10 minutes ago, polybear said:

Yummy Cake.....

Yummy Bacon Sarnies.

De Nile ain't just a river in Egypt, doncha know?

It's sad to see An Esteemed Bear slowly poison himself (not to mention offer comfort and sustenance to pre-malignant cells) through the unbridled consumption of additives, preservatives and more E-numbers than you can shake an EU Directive at. But, hey-ho, at least he's being BRITISH (the UK has the highest consumption of Ultra Processed Foods in Europe. with the average adult getting 57% of their calorie intake from UPF).

But looking on the bright side, that leaves more of the good stuff for me.

• Like 7
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)

We get our bacon from a market trader who cures it herself and the meat comes from local free range animals. Our bread is multi seed or sometimes white cobs made by a local bakery. Cakes are nearly all made at home using what I would call ‘natural’ ingredients, I.e., butter, sugar, flour, milk etc. and not flavour enhancers, preservatives, stabilisers and so on. I’m pretty sure that our consumption of UPF is low as we very rarely have anything like ready meals, curly fries, shop bought cakes or other sweet stuff. We do eat cheeses various and dark chocolate and drink milk though so we’re not all goody goody. Next week some friends are coming to stay who are largely vegetarian, although they do eat fish and other seafood, and one of them is both gluten and dairy intolerant so catering can be a bit of a minefield. 

Dave

Edited by Dave Hunt
  • Like 16
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

Morning, able now to function having had to watch the F1 first, as I heard who won!

Dank feeling here today, hard to know what the weather is going to do to us just now, 12c and breezy, grey as a grey thing.

A disturbed night, the non-UPF home made curry we had for dinner was fighting back a bit.  Unusual.  Mrs NHN is washing the campervan, so I'm keeping a low profile in case I get a job to do.  Then off out with mates to a bike show at 11, probably be about then that it decides to rain after all.  I know my luck.

• Like 19

Just to cheer our Irish Sea correspondent up the sun is shining here in the vast metropolis of Manutopea.

So I will offer my thanks to him and his fellow inhabitants for doing an excellent job of impeding the water globules as they pass over the briney between him and me. Thanks for taking one for the team Neil. Much appreciated as the Hound is not to keen on wet weather being a summer baby.

• Like 14
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)

Good morning. 
I don’t think the Southend deck chair business will be doing well today. It is rather cloudy but it has stopped raining. There is also a dispersal order in place for the seafront roads in Southend, due to rumours of a “car meet” today. Other parts of Essex are also expecting illegal road racing but not cars. 
We are not going anywhere. I enjoyed my cup of tea and slices of toast for breakfast. 
Lunch will be early as Aditi has a Zoom rehearsal today for the person doing their French Circle lecture later this week. The lecturer is not confident about the technology but her son (who is about my age) will be on hand to screen share her PowerPoint slides. 
Tony

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 19

Posted (edited)

Situated as I am (in a fashion), between Fraggle Rock and Manutopea, I would like to report that the sunlight is "fluctuating", between dark grey and bright.  Currently its a bit median, though it doesn't look like rain....

May go out, Dunham Massey or Quarrybank are options.

Edited by Hroth
spelin, whats new?
  • Like 17

• RMweb Premium

Brutally hot morning, pleasant early afternoon and looks like it'll be a deluge this evening here.

• Like 14
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

The sun is shining from a mainly blue sky but there are clouds in the distance, it is mild, around 14°C.  According to the Met Office there is very heavy cloud with a temperature of about 11°C and rain soon.

I have done my part of the housework, Leonie or someone should arrive soon to do the rest.  Then I shall probably stay at home and do more scanning along with some bits and pieces for church.  I might even find time for some model making.

David

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. It was persisting down earlier this morning and the seaweed twirlers have predicted even more wet stuff, a good day to stay indoors. However they have also predicted high temperatures and blue skies for the end of the week extending into the weekend.

• Like 14
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Morning All,

Just waiting for our friends who decided to pop in for morning coffee.  

Seems we have a rodent infestation in our back garden, and the council no longer provides this service - we need to use a private contractor.

Anybody who thinks that there is no musical talent among the young - try this for size - no auto tune, no gimmics, just lovely harmonies and musicianship.

Regards to All

Stewart

• Like 11
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Dave Hunt said:

We get our bacon from a market trader

I'm pretty sure mine comes from pigs , but hey , whatever floats your boat , or flies your plane .

• Funny 18

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, 45156 said:

Morning All,

Just waiting for our friends who decided to pop in for morning coffee.  

Seems we have a rodent infestation in our back garden, and the council no longer provides this service - we need to use a private contractor.

Regards to All

Stewart

That can be expensive, it cost me £135 to dispose of a dead fox in my shed. The chap who took it away gave me a good tip though about stopping them digging holes beneath the many shrubs I have in my garden. Just remove any branches below a foot to eighteen inches from the ground.

Edited by PhilJ W
  • Informative/Useful 9
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

45 minutes ago, Sidecar Racer said:

I'm pretty sure mine comes from pigs , but hey , whatever floats your boat , or flies your plane .

Where's that &@£€$#% GROAN button when you need it?

• Like 6
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Premium

Good morning all and welcome to Ban Collar Day.  Ironically I am wearing one of those T-shirt style tops which does have a collar so I might have to perform a quick change before leaving the house.  

Uncommonly and in defiance of tradition it is sunny and moderately warm here today although large dark grey things keep floating past overhead.  The one horse-power vehicles are out in abundance which still causes His Furship to look in a startled manner out of the window to see what is producing the clip-clopping sound.  "Giant mounted cats" is our answer.  He remains startled at the sight of something so large mounted on four legs with pricked ears at the front a swisher at the back.  

We are navigating the murky depths of the GWR website attempting to obtain refunds for Dr. SWMBO's non-travels.  Next weekend is affected by Industrial Action as mentioned a couple of days ago.  She is due full refunds totalling over £300 for journeys she cannot make.  The website is making it harder than it should be to extract that money from the operator.  

34 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

it cost me £135 to dispose of a dead fox in my shed

I might be accused of disrespect but if that were me I'd just bag it in the usual black sacks and bin it for collection.  Cost already prepaid with the Council Tax bill.  A decent pair of gloves would ensure no actual contact between the deceased and the remover.  

• Like 11
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium

In other news and in answer to "What have the Romans ever done for us?" I noted this on an OS map recently.  The old Pulborough - Petworth railway seems to have been much older than we thought.  © Ordnance Survey posted under permitted extract rules.

IMG_65472.jpg.a6e759e06d70750be5977c11fd4fb8a4.jpg

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 7
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

Where's that &@£€$#% GROAN button when you need it?

Same place it always is.

Screenshot2024-05-06at11_37_19.png.cde92bf80bbacdcde4f1a1bc2556c9f2.png

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium
19 minutes ago, Gwiwer said:

In other news and in answer to "What have the Romans ever done for us?" I noted this on an OS map recently.  The old Pulborough - Petworth railway seems to have been much older than we thought.  © Ordnance Survey posted under permitted extract rules.

IMG_65472.jpg.a6e759e06d70750be5977c11fd4fb8a4.jpg

This is interesting.

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 7

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, New Haven Neil said:

Morning, able now to function having had to watch the F1 first, as I heard who won!

Good to see that a certain scrote didn't get his own way for a change - and from what I've read it was his fault too.

Incidentally, Google his Daddy (other words are available) - a rather nasty piece of work who should've done time if there was any justice (it seems that his cheque book got him out of trouble on at least one occasion).

30 minutes ago, Gwiwer said:

I might be accused of disrespect but if that were me I'd just bag it in the usual black sacks and bin it for collection.  Cost already prepaid with the Council Tax bill.  A decent pair of gloves would ensure no actual contact between the deceased and the remover.  

Snap.

• Like 8
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, jjb1970 said:

Brutally hot morning, pleasant early afternoon and looks like it'll be a deluge this evening here.

Here it was Rain Sun Rain Sun Rain Sun Rain Sun Rain Sun Rain Sun..

Climate change seems to have pushed Melbourne weather further north. 

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

1 hour ago, 45156 said:

Sadly it won’t be much longer and even the cost of this private service will be going through the roof as rat poison is due to be completely banned in the UK. 

https://www.nfuonline.com/updates-and-information/withdrawal-of-authorisation-for-rodenticides-used-in-open-spaces/#:~:text=Legal authorisation for the use,Use UK%2C supported by HSE.

Having had leptospirosis and been extremely ill with it for weeks, I’m just hoping that the bean munchers behind this get a dose of it as well. 

• Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 5
  • Friendly/supportive 10

• RMweb Premium

Bear here....

Today's first mission was to help buddy over the road to drop a 20ft high tree - it was a regrowth from the stump of a much bigger predecessor that was dropped many moons ago.  It was rather close to a neighbours bluddygreatshed, as well as his fence so buddy pulled on the rope whilst Bear had to fight his way though the Jungle (literally) to get to it to cut it.  We started at nine cos' rain was forecast at ten....and it turns up at half nine.....Turdycurses.

Well wottabitchofajob that was.....mucho saw saw saw pant pant pant saw saw saw pant pant pant......

Result?  Well it's down, in various bits and the shed n' fence are intact, so that's a Tick.  Bear?  Rather soggy indeed - both from the Sky Wee Wee and the calories (lots) burned in the process.  So at 10am Bear was having a wallow, even though I'd wallowed yesterday evening.

Still, mucho Brownie Points earnt in the process - and as Buddy has helped Bear out more times than I can remember (he's my helper for gettin' Harry the Honda in n' out of the shed) it's all fair's fair in this Bear's Book.

Now?  Din Dins time 😁

BG

• Like 12
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
44 minutes ago, Gwiwer said:

Good morning all and welcome to Ban Collar Day.  Ironically I am wearing one of those T-shirt style tops which does have a collar so I might have to perform a quick change before leaving the house.  

Uncommonly and in defiance of tradition it is sunny and moderately warm here today although large dark grey things keep floating past overhead.  The one horse-power vehicles are out in abundance which still causes His Furship to look in a startled manner out of the window to see what is producing the clip-clopping sound.  "Giant mounted cats" is our answer.  He remains startled at the sight of something so large mounted on four legs with pricked ears at the front a swisher at the back.  

We are navigating the murky depths of the GWR website attempting to obtain refunds for Dr. SWMBO's non-travels.  Next weekend is affected by Industrial Action as mentioned a couple of days ago.  She is due full refunds totalling over £300 for journeys she cannot make.  The website is making it harder than it should be to extract that money from the operator.  

The dead fox we found should, apparently, have been buried in the garden, which is impossible without a JCB.  It got wrapped in polythene then taken into the forest for nature to recycle it behi d a fallen tree. The polythene went to the tip. 

Jamie

• Like 12
  • Friendly/supportive 2