The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Evening everyone. Another bright and sunny start to the day, although I had to defrost the car this morning, before I could set off to work. Brock was my work location today, as I passed Winter Hill, it was shrouded in mist, I could not see the top of the hill or base of the mast, but could see the top! A very ethereal mist surrounded the base of the mast and across some of the fields as I drove past too!

Now in RANT mode. Why, why, why, does an accident on the southbound carriageway of the M6 course delays on the north bound carriageway of the M6! Fecking rubber neckers, should all be fecking shot! RANT over.

Nice easy day as I only had the one job, the job that went missing on Monday, still that's it now for the week, unless owt else comes in tomorrow, if not I'll pop into the office and do some paper work and expenses.

Dave. Love the photos, particularly the ones of still water, they make me want to get out my box of pastels. I do hope Is's radiotherapy goes ok, but being there for her will, I'm sure be a huge comfort to her, Sheila being there for me certainly was!

HH. I'll be interested in how well you lattice work viaduct turns out, and how easy/difficult it is to use.

Polly. I hope that you eyes clear up soon.

Goodnight all

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium

. After lunch some measuring at Skerton bridge then an hour or so on Castle Station train spotting. Saw the southbound Colas Logs and wondered if Jim was driving itattachicon.gif

Hi Jamie,

I think Jim is indeed in the hot seat.

Cheers,

Mick

Morning all,

Sorry it's so late Andy, but dozed off for a while earlier! Joanna managed splendidly, getting us to Colchester and back, and I'm sure that at least in part, all of the good wishes from everyone helped me to get the outcome I wanted to hear - my results were such that I'm now on the second strength variant of the new chemo pill! Now it's careful monitoring of the blood pressure twice daily, which is affected by the drug, and check-up again in two weeks time to see if we can go up to yet another strength - I want to go for this b**tard thing!! All I need then is for the week of radiotherapy, beginning Monday, to help with the pain control in my pelvis, and Tuesday's brain scan to show nothing sinister so as we can eliminate the pain there(so I can function again and maybe even do some railway modelling at last!).

I'll post some more news shortly about today's events, but just wanted to put out this bulletin!!

Kind regards,

Jock.

• Like 6

Evening all. Another quick drop in, but pleased to see Jock's positive news. I hope it continues. Generic greetings all round once again. I am sorry I have been a bit lax on commenting recently.

Today has been quite productive at work. I was given the job of changing our reporting system. All drafted in one morning and feel pretty pleased with the outcome. This was completed in between conducting some lesson observations within my department. All went well there too.

The only downside was this work took me away from the essay writing. I still have my final assessment to complete for the leadership course. Time is ticking and I can see little way it will get done. Not sure if the head will give me anymore release time or not.

The afternoon was planning time. I had to get stuck into the prep for next half term and did get loads done. Working from home in an empty house has its benefits. I even managed to enjoy some of the good weather as I allowed myself a half hour lunch break taken in the garden, eating lunch in the garden. One of the cats came to join me, then another. Considering the bench is next to Saffie's "grave" I was technically accompanied by three if them. It was a pleasant time.

Still no further developments on the family issue that is causing the angst at the moment. I will share details when I can, but it is a worry.

Finally if anyone is interested. I have added a couple of shots of my Adams 02 onto the relevant Kernow 02 thread on here. It really is a fine model.

Enjoy tomorrow.

• Like 16

Morning all,

Back again so soon, but the family news tonight rather took the gloss off my earlier joy - we've today lost another member of the extended family to cancer! The person who died was married to Joanna's eldest sister who died around ten years ago, so she has known him for over 55 years. An an intelligent man whose company we enjoyed at several family occasions, and he never re-married. Hard to explain why someone that bright should decide not to enter the bowel cancer screening programme when it was offered, only discovering that he had the disease after the symptoms were evident, and the spread to other organs had progressed. An object lesson in 'digging your head into the sand'! Please learn from this everyone, and take every opportunity to be checked. RIP Bill, leaving a lovely son, daughter in law and two lovely granddaughters.

As to the 'Vera' discussion, I am far from being a fan, but Joanna is hooked on all such shows so I at least know a little about the programme as I tend to read or do a Sudoko/Crossword puzzle whilst it's on, glancing at the screen now and then. All I can say, is the chosen backdrop of that amazing landscape is worth looking at - one of the country's great wildernesses, and I have been lucky with the weather on the few occasions I've driven through it!

John(Two_sugars), the motor trade 'add-on' scam has sadly been a feature of the 'fast fit' sector of the trade for many years. We once hired an ex-employee from one of the major companies involved, and he actually admitted that they had been given bonus targets for 'up-selling'. We at our dealership found it a truly sickening feature of our trade, ruling that we would at all times supply clients with written measurements and manufacturers recommended limits should they wish. We also kept the displaced parts for the client to view/keep if they wished.

Jamie, thanks for the cinema tips, but most such venues are quite a trek from the cultural backwater that is Clacton (two small theatres doing their best and a bingo hall/cinema). My other issue is the need to visit another room at regular intervals, but I'm sure I'll pick it up on line and stream it on the big TV soon.

Dave(TG), as others have said, the light in those images is special - almost 'Turneresque' in the ethereal misty ones, something JMWT tried to capture all his life. Thank you for sharing them with us. Do wish 'Is' good luck with the radiotherapy next week, I'll be thinking of her as I'm having mine!

Gordon(bluebottle), that is a simply gorgeous photo of young Emily - enough to put a smile on the saddest face.

Ian(OD), the word 'dull' certainly doesn't fit in La Sarthe. You certainly have an amazing store of anecdotes that would make the basis for quite a book or even a soap opera! I loved Sherry's comment about the 'knight'! When is your impending procedure by the way?

John(DMJ), I hope that all goes well throughout your operation (avoiding last minute cancellations etc.) Please keep us updated with timings - we will both be thinking of you.

With my usual wishes for improved health to our sufferers, and of course a nice big 'E' for those who desire it later today, I'm beginning to nod off and so I'll grab the chance to get some z's!

Kind regards,

Jock.

G'night all!

Good morning one and all

The trip to Cardiff went well.  A pit stop in Lydney, a side trip to the Dean Forest at Norchard for lunch, a cuppa with the friends in Redwick and no sign of flooding and a crawl round Newport brought me to the hotel at 5 pm.  The hotel restaurant opened at 6 but I thought this would make getting to the meeting at Radyr in time a bit tight so I repaired to Cardiff Gate services.  Bad move: I do not frequent KFC or Burger King and that's all there was.  Worse news: there is no chippie in Radyr.  Fortunately the pit stop in Lydney yielded a meal deal from the Co-op so I feasted less than royally on sweet chilli chicken, pineapple chunks and cloudy apple juice, supplemented later by a KitKat.  The talk was very good.  There were three people there that I knew, including Brian Rolley aka br2975.  I was able to proffer information on some of the photographs too.  After negotiating some baffling road layouts nominally on the way back to the hotel, bed and the usual intermittent kip.

Breakfast included bubble and squeak!  I do hope it wasn't purchased in frozen form for that misses the whole point of this wondrous concoction.  The M4 and M49 delivered me safely to the Cafe on the Square at Sea Mills with an hour to spare, there to join Aunt Bristol and Aunt Nottingham on their 92nd birthday.  They were both in good form.  By 3 pm I was back home but it took another three hours to get the car anywhere near the house.   Some things never change.

Some interesting observations on trolleybuses while I have been away, I see.  The late Alan Jarvis liked them too and two of his many fine images were shown on Wednesday night depicting a typical Cardiff trolley at each end of its route - the 4 from Roath Park to Llandaff Fields since you ask.  It appears that the bamboo poles were also handy for persuading conkers to fall from the trees.

Now to find out what else has been happening.  My thoughts are with all who need them.

Chris

• Like 19

Morning All,

It is a rather chilly morning here - but nice and clear, so hopefully we will see some sun when it comes up.

Jock - Great news from your point of view, but sorry to hear about your brother in law.

Well, I wonder what today will bring?

Have a good day everyone...

• Like 12

Morning all!

Another day, another grain of salt on the peanut (dollars are way above the employer's payment scale!)

Faced with the prospect of more stock to check in.

Looking forward to tomorrow when trip to Cromford beckons; anyone else going to Mount Tabor's Nuernberg New Items show?

Best Wishes to all and those that can, have a good POETS day.

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium

Mawnin' awl. Kitties annoyed us out of sleep in the early hours, so not firing on all cylinders yet. Congrats and commies as appropriate, and especially to Jock, who I can tell can use both at the same time. Not the kind of up and down you need to have every day, is it?  :(

Be back later…

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold

Morning from a frozen but sunny Surrey.

I wonder whether it rained last night then the skies cleared. No trains between Tonbridge and Redhill and no Southern services to Reigate due to the ice but GWR diesel services still running. Also sounds bad on Southestern through Tonbridge. Southern announcements calling it severe weather but I think that's a bit OTT

Luckily my train is still running but some nice sparky effects.

My other half has a day off so had a lift to the station. Also the Amtrak a Veterans livery Kato loco that I ordered last October is at the Parcelfarce office and a letter through post asking for £31 in VAT and handling charge on top of Amtraks agent, Staples who added about $40 to Handle the foreign address on top of the postage charges. So this type of loco can be had for just over £100 in Gauge-master (At top full price) will probably have cost me near on £170. Unfortunately the veterans livery is only available through the Amtrak store. I hope that ther is nothing wrong with it!!

Oh, and if Parcelfarce deliver it on a Saturday then there is another £12 to add. Hopefully my other half can pay and collect it today as she is heading down that way. Otherwise Parcelface will leave it at our post office in Smiths and we won't get there for at least a week. Parcelface are so inflexible these days.

Last working day this week and hopefully it will be POETS day.

A trip to the West Sussex coast to see other halfs ar nets tomorrow but must stay clear of Gaugemaster as spent way too much on locos recently.

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all,

It seems to be dry and there is a hint of sunshine.

Glad to hear some good news from Jock but along with that sorry about the sad news as well.

Today "we" have domestic stuff to deal with and at the moment there is nothing else whatsoever to report.

Have a good one,

Bob.

Edited by grandadbob
  • Like 12

• RMweb Premium

Morning All

Chilly start here (again). 

Jock - Great to hear that you are getting the uprated drug and also the treatments that should make you more comfortable.  Sorry about your news about another family member succumbing to cancer, and also think that your warning about getting checked out at every opportunity is important.  Pete (hurry back mate) has also made this point frequently.

Jamie - pleased to hear that you got back OK and in a smoother manner than your outward journey.   My first thought when I saw the image of the Colas logs was the same - is that Jim?  Odd if it is.

Ian - not the most pleasant day yesterday, even though the outcome was already clear, having it confirmed was not going to be good.

Everybody else, generic wishes for a good day/recovery from ailments etc....

Today is mainly going to be tasks domestic.  One such is that it appears that the washing machine has won today's battle to get the washing done or not with a not, and I'll need to manually spin a whole load as it isn't spinnng at all with whatever is in there.  Best go and check it out.

Regards to All

Stewart

Edited by 45156

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from a slightly grey village. First job after breakfast is to go get a tyre sorted that went flat on Wednesday when I was on my way to the club. This will be followed by a but of shopping which will include a trip to the chemist for our next months supplies. Mine will fit in my pocket but I better take a rucksack for Beth's. Then hopefully a bit of time laying tram track on Green Ayre before an evening at the clubrooms.

Good news from Jock for the Chemo but not nice about BiL.

Mick (NB) thanks for the info about Jim. I'll probably post on his blog. I saw four freights in an hour at Lancaster. The Heysham Flasks (3 times), a southbound engineers train with a DRS 66, a northbound freightliner and the Logs.

Regard to all.

Jamie

• Like 19

.... and Tuesday's brain scan to show nothing sinister ....

Kind regards,

Jock.

Blimey. The NHS is getting more like Minority Report every week! 

Jock, pleased for you that the results allowed you to progress to the next level. 

Andy

• Like 2

Morning all,

So, Gravity Waves have moved the Earth the width of an atom further away from the Sun.  :sungum:

3 pints of fff Mondance have been known to do similar!  :stinker:

I shall be applying for a substantial research grant to prove my contention.  :drink_mini:

• Like 5