The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Morning all,

I've had a reasonable day, topped with some wonderful news that my 'blonde bombshell' (Clacton granddaughter) who has designs on a stage career, went for audition and testing at 'B.I.M.M.' (The London branch of the British and Irish Modern Music Institute, which offers degree courses!) with her nursing sister mum today. Part of a relationship with the music and drama class she attends here in Clacton. Apparently she 'sailed through' the two performances on stage, passed the written and oral tests, and was offered a place there and then, subject to achieving her 'A' level grades of course! We are really proud of her so it's fingers crossed until results in August.

Thanks to Pete(pH), I think I've settled on Dunure as the little fishing port with the stocks of salty wood mistakenly mentioned last night - suffering from brain-fade there?

PhilJW, I have the programme you mentioned recorded on 'series link' with the Sky+ box. I also have the NASA, European Space Agency, and ISS web sites in the favourites on my iPad and PC as well. Due to the influence of my Father, I've had a keen interest in the Universe and all that it involves since I was young. Switching to engineering and science at college has helped to give me a fair amount of knowledge as to how it all works. Surprisingly, I've only ever invested in a cheap 'Tasco' telescope with the excuse that my life is too full to accommodate another passion. (Anyone who wants to see what can be had should trawl through Jeff(Physicsman)'s thread - 'Lunester Asylum'. His Scopes are amazing and can accommodate his camera.)

Gordon(bluebottle), and Neil(NHN), I'm sorry to note that you, as well as others to a lesser degree, are members of the sciatica club! I honestly had no idea that there was so much of it around and can only sympathise with those who suffer.

I had heard about fat Hermann Göering's model railway layout, and if he stored it at his Air Ministry building, he was very lucky as we managed to miss it during the WW2 bombing of Berlin in the main, whilst the rest of the surrounding area (like St Pauls?) was flattened!

Oh dear Neil(NHN), what memories flooded in when I saw elements of your bike collection parked below the layout shelf! Bikes and trains being high on the list of my favourite things. What lucky person owns that beautiful and no doubt priceless Gilera? What clean and effective engineering for its day (mid to late fifties). I now feel that I should dig out my old 'Sound Stories' vinyl for a listen to the deep exhaust notes in the hands of Bob McIntyre, John Hartle, Derek Minter and even Florian Camathias in a sidecar outfit. Thank you so much - I'm going to copy that image strictly for my own enjoyment!

Time to see if the sleep will come now, on this St Valentine's Day - I hope you folk that observe this affair, remembered what is required of you in plenty of time. Joanna and I decided to stop it along with the Christmas cards and the like, some time ago, with Cancer Research benefitting.

With the usual good health wishes to all, I hope Sunday works as well as you'd like it to.

Kind regards,

Jock.

G'night all!

• Like 16

This afternoon was spent in the company of my granddaughter. . .took her home at 4.00pm then came home for a nap. . . Have I mentioned that she is like a whirlwind?

Another beer and guitar evening with my mate in my kitchen.

Goodnight everyone and sleep well.

John

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium

Most definitely not ER....

Best wishes to all those who need them.

Still buzzing - but for the wrong reasons.

Earlier today (Saturday) was clean up at wife's work/my own work driving/golf/modelling/afternoon nap/modelling/and then short night shift at Mrs NB's work.

Starting at midnight and hoping for nothing later than 2.30am, but it turned out to be hard work - not from a busy point of view, but dealing with c*ckwombles who've had too much to drink and meeting family that they haven't seen for years. Not cause they haven't been able to meet them, but because they didn't want to.

First time in over 25 years of part-time bar work that I've had to refuse someone a drink. Then someone else (only slightly drunk) tries to buy them a drink and was politely refused. 10 minutes later and the same someone else buys a drink with the promise that it's not for the drunk person and then proceeds to take it outside to the drunk person - who is in full argy mode with his Dad. I then ask why she has taken the drink outside and she point blank says its for her. "So where's the glass?" I ask her. Dozy bint says she's left it outside. "So why is he holding it?" says I, pointing to the drunk lad. stood outside the door, glass in hand.

Then there's a complaint of noise from one of the rooms. From the outside, I can see a lit cigarette just inside the open window. Two minutes later, back inside walking up the corridor with a clear smell of smoke indoors. A quick knock on the door  to ask them politely if they can keep the noise to a minimum and that I can smell smoke. "I don't smoke" was the reply. "So why have I just seen someone smoking by the window?"  Busted!

The big issue with smoke is that it can take some time for the smell to disperse and I know that the room will be turned round for tomorrow's wedding guests.

In the meantime, wife of Dad previously mentioned comes wandering down asking if we'd seen him. She was pointed in the direction of the car park with the advice that her husband and step-son had been deep in conversation for the past two hours...................

And guess who's on another midnight-on tomorrow night?

At least Sunday is looking like a late start with 9 holes of mixed doubles golf at 1pm, followed by a couple of hours driving. Somebody else can do the 9am clean up.

I suppose the only bonus is that I'm stacking up a considerable number of brownie points with Mrs NB, covering these odd shifts.

Good Morning or Goodnight as appropriate.

Cheers,

Mick

Mick,

I know I shouldn't be, but I'm still laughing at your tale of woe.

Reminded me of a wedding I was at a long time ago. My cousin lived in Inverness and she married a "Lewisman" by the name of MacLeod. I'm not giving anything away here because just about everyone on Lewis is called Macleod (including a certain D Trump's mother who also came from Lewis, but we better not get into that here.)

Lewismen enjoy a wee dram (if you lived on Lewis, you would too.) Actually, they enjoy an enormous dram, so the groom's friends and family (almost exclusively MacLeods of course) proceeded to get well an truly plastered. The bit I remember most vividly was the groom's father standing up to make a speech. He didn't get too far into it before becoming "overcome by emulsion", started crying profusely, and had to sit down.

Andy

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium

Morning all. I am not forgiving the cat that woke me at 5.52 until I sleep again...... no doubt she will jump on my lap later. As I couldn't sleep I am up and drinking tea I have even eaten toast! Better find something useful to do like get the dishwasher on. I hope everyone's day at least starts better.

• RMweb Premium

Mug of tea being drunk. Lottery HQ informed me that they have given me a lucky dip ticket.

Cricket umpiring tonight (hopefully I will be better than the latest batch of "Superstars" I watched yesterday.

Happy valentines!

Baz

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from a sunny village in the southern uplands of Leeds.  Not sure what the temperature is as I haven't opened the door yet.   The cats have been fed, Beth is still asleep so I have a quiet house to myself.  Though a certain card has not ben forgotten.

Church this morning then some modelling this afternoon.  Daughter in Law is coing for dinner tonight so no doubt some tidying duties will be allocated.  

Hope everyone else has a good day and that the sciatica sufferers get some relief.  

Jamie

• Like 17

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all,

There seems to be a glimmer of  sunshine and some blue sky.

I haven't heard from Lottery HQ  so there  must be a problem with their email to me.  :jester:

The Boss made tea earlier and brought it up to me - either because of insomnia or trying to lull me into a false sense of security.

She has also offered breakfast in a little while so I suspect that this is leading up to something. However if it involves going out today and me missing Rugby she's had it. 

Duncan, I will of course disagree (in a nice way) with you and hope that England beat Italy.

Have a good one,

Bob.

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from my first part of a Sunday drive on 1131 "Oberpostmeister Kees" with DB Schenker advertising...

mobile.235tfjts.jpg

...at Wittenberger Straße prior to sortie...

mobile.236dms5l.jpg

...and at Lößnig. On Sunday mornings till about noon, Line 10 turns around at Central Station. Streets are still fairly quiet, which is nice.

Later...

• Like 15

Morning all. When I checked my numbers last night, lottery HQ said that I had one lucky dip. Obviously I must try harder.

Jock - Excellent news for your 'blonde bombshell'. Fingers crossed that the results in August allow her to attend unhindered.

Bob - I hope that todays game will be as entertaining as the two yesterday.

A day of washing, ironing and shopping planned for today in preparation for the working week. I will obviously fit all of this around the rugby this afternoon.

Have a good day everyone

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold

Good morning everyone.

Looks quite bright outside, I don't think it is very warm though.

Amazon have already delivered, nothing too exciting, pop up waste basket strainers and a book.

I think we may have a trip to Leigh on Sea as well. Aditi has some parcels for collection at Waitrose. I think there may have been a suggestion that we could take Robbie for a walk at the seaside too. I can't remember when dogs are allowed near the sea but Southend council have a website.

Tony

• Like 11

Morning all from the boring borough once again. Wasted day yesterday. I did nothing. Today we are off to the wilds of Hoxton for Valentine's brunch.

That's all for now. My latte skills have been requested.

Have a great day everyone.

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold

Morning all

Valentine's Day falling rather inconveniently on a Sunday meant no flower deliveries - so Sherry got her just deserts yesterday, with a dozen red roses. Oddly the long-stem version costs more than the short stem, so they told me, but she seemed quite pleased with the former anyway. We had to make do with an hour on the phone today, but have spent Valentine's Day together before, unknown to others. Her ailing daughter and family are visiting today and tomorrow. Apparently new medication has made life much more comfy for Caroline, but the date for internal peerings and pokings has slipped, sadly. Mick's tale of wedding misdemeanours reminded me of her poor behaviour on her mum's big day, but as her intervention had been the immediate catalyst for her parents splitting up who knows what emotions she had on the day? I wonder if I'll ever get to really know her.

Meanwhile, cleaner Alison had a date yesterday. Some hours away, in Angers, and the chap was on his way back from mountain walking near Grenoble. High winds did their usual trick, with trees on the line, so SNCF was bussing his train for part of the journey, and he was three hours late. So lunchtime was over and gone and they ended up cooking bits and pieces in his flat. This morning I got the "call me" message to give her an escape route, so res ipsa loquitur - no chemistry. Later today she needs to meet the ex near here, to take the boys back home after their week in Blighty, anyway. Her neighbour lover seems increasingly mired in the decline of his 400-acre farm, and she struggles to see him at all. She deserves better, is attractive and fun, needs to meet the right chap, that's all.

Good to see Jock having something to truly celebrate for once with an offer of college placement for the grand-daughter. Seeing young people blossom on stage is something Sherry appreciates with her Tadpoles drama group. And on Friday she watched a favourite young man - from a rather disadvantaged background - do just that in a difficult role, playing a blind boy and acting the rest off the stage.

The gales had wound down by evening, and we have some sun - more than forecast, I think, but it isn't going to get very warm. Northerlies are due next. Isn't February fun?

Hope your day going well.

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. The sciatica came back with a vengance last night but somehow I managed to get enough sleep but the usual sock hoop-la dressing this morning, its almost disappeared now and hopefully won't be coming back. I'm looking forward to the program tonight as well Jock, like you I like to watch such programs. When I first went over to cable from terrestial TV I was delighted to find quite a few such programs among the plethoria of channels available. The only problem was finding them as some TV listings don't feature them prefering such dross as dropping so called 'slebs' into the jungle, mind you my real objection to such programs is that they get them out of there afterwards. Enough of my drivel for now, be back later (with more drivel?).

Morning all.

Just recovering from yesterday's trip to Cromford; small show, well formed! Good mix of trade, societies and layouts totalling about 16 stands. Great bacon butty (Thanks Ian!) Managed to get back home ahead of time so ws probably, technically, travelling without a valid ticket (it had timed reservations listed!) Missed by all those who "inspected" it including the Train Manager who upgraded me to First from Derby! 3 automatic barriers refused it but their minders let me through!

Sciatica: find yourself a good chiropractor. Physios concentrate on muscles; chiros manipulate the bones so if there is a trapped nerve, they have a better chance of freeing it. Chiropractic is recognised by the NHS so your GP should be able to refer you, however, payments will be involved! I speak from experience!

Kitchen and bathroom to clean, laundry and accounts to sort so not a too restful a day!

Thoughts and wishes with all as usual!

• Like 11

Morning all, not much to report from this neck of the woods. Bright and cold though, which makes a nice change.

Hope Jock is doing better and enjoyed seeing the Gilera picture as much as I did, what a machine that was.

Sympathies to all suffering sciatica, mine is being unreasonable this weekend too, hence not much getting done.

Oops I seem to have missed some special day, but then SWMBO doesn't seem to have remembered either so mum's the word :beee:

• RMweb Premium

I follow the Industrial Railway Society page on Yahoo. They do often come up with some real gems and this morning someone mentioned that there was a Railway on Gibraltar. It only came to notice because a van and a couple of wagons were found in an abandoned shed. No mention of the gauge but it looks to be between 2' 6" and 3' 6".

Time to pop in.

Bloody cold here, 2.8f or -16C in the backyard, snow tomorrow. Happy, happy, joy, joy..... It’s no wonder that the average American thinks Global Warming a crock of Poop. Still, it could be worse, I could be in Buffalo or Montreal where it is about 15 degrees colder. Shuffle off!

I have very fond memories of Angers. Funnily enough arriving late one Wednesday before L.M. 24 had my best hamburger ever in a Bar on the main drag.

Later, Pete.

Edited by trisonic
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

We were walking in the park with Robbie when Aditi was approached by Mad Sue (so called because her name is Sue) and was interrogated about what she was getting for Valentine's Day, roses , chocolates ...

Aditi said she wasn't getting anything special as every day is Valentine's Day for her which I thought was nice. I got a card but it was from Freddie the sponsored dog.

Tony

• Like 13