The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

The garden had other ideas.  When you sow an entire packet of carrot seeds and get just one carrot the garden is clearly trying to tell you something: "Don't mess with me, sunshine" might have been it. 

I think the answer lies in the soil.

Morning all. The air is blue and there was a thick covering of frost on the car. But I didn't need the car today so no scraping duties for me.

It passed the MOT - to be expected really, it's only turning 3 years old now and has done about 20,000 miles. It is also nearing the end of its finance deal period so will be replaced.

The parkin baking yesterday was successful. It was nice to have a slice.

Apparently neither of the women cutting the hair of the Lurker boys in the barber had ever heard of parkin so Mrs Lurker thinks it must be a northern thing. Although my Mum used to bake it for us in Kent. Having said that we did used to call it Yorkshire Parkin so perhaps the clue is in the name. 

Interestingly the RMweb error checker puts a red line under parkin so it obviously hasn't reached internet dictionaries!

I hope that Jock's brain scan goes well and that he can deal with the temporary increase in pain levels.

Have a good day all

• Like 18

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

Chilly though it is so sunny I should get above zero soon.

Today will be spent getting ready for our trip to Utrecht tomorrow. This means Robbie is off to kennels after we have had a walk this morning.

I am sure for 4 days we could just cope with a carry on bag each but we will take a case as Matthew wants us to bring some stuff back home.

Chrisf. The online form makes passport application easier. You do need a printer and then post the completed form and your new photo. Our passports came back in 5 days.

• Like 14

It some how seems wrong to put both of these in the same post, but as I rarely come on here I just wanted to say condolences to Gordon and his Family.

And GOOD LUCK Jock, Dee and I will be thinking of you my friend.

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from a bright and sunny village, though I suspect it might be a tad cooler than Rick's antipodean cool. Various things on the agenda today with a shopping trip first then hopefully a trip to the clubrooms with another set of boards this afternoon.

Good wishes to Jock for today. I do hope that they do find some content in the cranium though I'm sure that Joanna has suggested that it might be empty on several occasions. More seriously I hope that the initial discomfort from yesterday will be worth the effort.

Dave (TG) Hope that things go well for Is.

Condolences to Gordon.

Regards to everyone else.

Jamie

PS, was planning to get up and make a start after typing the above but a ball of black fur, called Gavin has decided that his need of a warm lap to curl up on takes priority so he has now settled down with his head resting on my right forearm. I may be some time.

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 18

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from a bright but still cold and frosty Estuary-Land. Yesterday afternoon I went to wash my hands and the water was cold, the boiler had shut down. Earlier yesterday I noticed that the mains pressure was down and this must have been the reason. I just managed to climb into the loft and re-pressurise the boiler and it started straight away. Not easy due to the sciatica but there is a slight improvement today and hopefully I will be able to make it into town as my ears need lowering urgently (haircut). I hope all goes well for you today Jock and they will find a brain, floating in single malt. Belated condolences to Gordon and family, and codolences or congratulations where neccessary to all others. Chris, I too have brown withered fingers rather than the green variety, not helped by having very thin topsoil over good old Essex clay.

Not Corralls per chance? They were pretty big in the South East and are still going strong today.

Have a good day everyone...

I honestly can't remember the name though I seem to recall a co-operative society?

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold

Well the sun is shining, the sky is blue and after the visit of the plumber so is the air in here. He took one look at the offending mixer tap and said "Can't do that, we don't carry spares for it so you'll have to order direct - if you know who made the tap."  Luckily I keep records of that sort of thing and phoned the supplier. They confirmed that my 6 year old tap is now bl##dy obsolete. However a very helpful young lady called Alice made enquiries and phoned back to tell me that spares for their newer range will fit mine.....but they're out of stock! With a bit of luck and a following wind I should get the order in about 3 weeks.

Don't get me started on my home insurance - they are a bunch of crooks. Will now be placing my business with an alternative but cheaper bunch of crooks.

• RMweb Gold

Well the sun is shining, the sky is blue and after the visit of the plumber so is the air in here. He took one look at the offending mixer tap and said "Can't do that, we don't carry spares for it so you'll have to order direct - if you know who made the tap."  Luckily I keep records of that sort of thing and phoned the supplier. They confirmed that my 6 year old tap is now bl##dy obsolete. However a very helpful young lady called Alice made enquiries and phoned back to tell me that spares for their newer range will fit mine.....but they're out of stock! With a bit of luck and a following wind I should get the order in about 3 weeks.

Don't get me started on my home insurance - they are a bunch of crooks. Will now be placing my business with an alternative but cheaper bunch of crooks.

Istr that one of the better things to come out of the EU directives was the requirement for manufacturers to support items they have made for x years (10?) after production ceases, hence the newer spares fitting the older item.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Good morning from a frosty Hundred of Mansbridge. The sun is burning it off rapidly.

On Saturday I accompanied (as appropriate adult) Martyn and his best friend to a social event of a geeky nature. However the other participants were all somewhat older and very cliquey and we were completely ignored. Martyn is terminally shy and didn't feel at all welcome so he got p###ed off and we left. Yesterday was his 16th birthday and his Mum took him and his friend to The Mousetrap in London, which he enjoyed; he likes Agatha Christie and reads the books as well as watching Miss Marple and Poirot series on TV and DVD. They also went to Ripleys Believe it or Not.

Not sure yet what to do today.

Re the St Leonards/Hastings Curzon (Norman Road), this site has a brief history; the builders' merchants were Brookers.

http://kino-teatr.co.uk/index.php/about/137/

Best wishes to Jock, Is, Mal and anybody else undergoing treatment or unwell.

Have a good day, keep warm (or cool in the Antipodes).

Pete

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium

Good morning from a frosty Hundred of Mansbridge. The sun is burning it off rapidly.

On Saturday I accompanied (as appropriate adult) Martyn and his best friend to a social event of a geeky nature. However the other participants were all somewhat older and very cliquey and we were completely ignored. Martyn is terminally shy and didn't feel at all welcome so he got p###ed off and we left. Yesterday was his 16th birthday and his Mum took him and his friend to The Mousetrap in London, which he enjoyed; he likes Agatha Christie and reads the books as well as watching Miss Marple and Poirot series on TV and DVD. They also went to Ripleys Believe it or Not.

Not sure yet what to do today.

Re the St Leonards/Hastings Curzon (Norman Road), this site has a brief history; the builders' merchants were Brookers.

http://kino-teatr.co.uk/index.php/about/137/

Best wishes to Jock, Is, Mal and anybody else undergoing treatment or unwell.

Have a good day, keep warm (or cool in the Antipodes).

Pete

Thanks for that information about the cinema Pete. I remember the bomb site at the foot of the hill, it was still an open site until the late 60's. The character I mentioned above has been removed by the mods, a very strange character judging by his posts.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

Bright sunshine and cold out there but the bl**dy buddleia might get further treatment today.  Chris a couple of ways of improving the ground for growing veg - Method 1 is to dig it over and plant spuds - they tend to help breakdown lumpy soil.  Method 2 is to hire a pig - they not only eat all the weeds but also turnover the ground and fertilise it although some feeding might also be required and the hire concern might insist on a suitable night shelter being provided  (somebody round here used to hire out Vietnamese Pot Belly pigs as they're smaller and more manageable than traditional English breeds.

John regrettably the signalling work at Littlehampton might be spelling the end of the semaphores?

Have a good day one and all

• Like 11

Morning all from the uncharted wilds of Marylebone. All quiet here.  

Very little happening, a good thing really. Had some sad news from Calgary though. My old Scout Master has passed away at the ripe age of 94. Just a few weeks shy of his 95th. He was quite a character and a long time family friend. Besides the scouting connection he and my dad worked together at CP for many years. I don't think there was a scouting award that he didn't have. He was also an Order of Canada recipient. My regret is that I won't be able to get to his memorial service.

Lurker, the squiggly red line is generated by the speel chucker on your machine. Its a Windoze thing and nothing to do with RMweb.

Jock, hope the one time blast does the trick and after the discomfort you'll be feeling better.

On that note, back to the coal face.

Morning again,

I thought I'd go back through some now old posts :

Peter(DD), although you're very busy at the moment, it is really good to see that your sense of humour remains intact.

AndyID, was that stronger than normal beer that you consumed at Aviemore? Seriously, it must have been a spooky moment! I have a few fond memories of using an old VW Camper on occasion (aka the 'pig') and I possibly mentioned in the past that I often assisted with pre-race checks on the Reynard FF2000 car of Julian Bailey (who went on to race F1 Lotus) alongside Reynard's race engineer who lived in my house at that time. We did one of the support races at the F1 Grand Prix at Brands Hatch in the eighties, and practice over, the normal evening was to eat and then partake of the drink and entertainment in the 'Kentagon' bar at the crown of Paddock Hill Bend. The band was practising in full dress rehearsal on the Friday night, and perhaps too much beer was taken, but for those who know the 'camper', sleeping was on a fold out bunk under the pop-up roof. I remember waking for a comfort break in the night, and everything going wrong from there - as I tried to head for the door, I managed to put my bare foot right into the congealed fat left in the frying pan on the cooker top from our proper boys breakfast consumed earlier in the day! I then attempted to hop out of the door and across to the nearest tree without too much success, my foot coated in goodness knows what!! My friend slept through it all, and since then, I always washed up (or at least moved the dishes!) and made arrangements for a handy receptacle for the other requirement.

LisaP4, it was good to see your post - you have been missed, although I can understand your reluctance to work in such humidity. I hope you and your father are both well, and with the onset of the cooler weather, you will be able to start back on the modelling soon.

Stewart, although nasty, it is good to know what you are fighting and I hope the anti-biotics work quickly for you.

Gordon, a release at last it would appear, but at such a cruel young age. Once the funeral is done, all that knew him can get back to remembering the good times.

Mal, glad the treatments are heading to a close - hopefully then a plan for the future can be laid out with regular check ups. Meanwhile, we will keep our fingers crossed that the last couple of treatments aren't too debilitating.

Stevo(28xx), your Mum continues to astound - she really does show a redoubtable spirit!

John(KB), what a lovely set of images - they set me to thinking of the incredible changes in fishing methods that have been seen in the area over the years. The height of the 'plimsoll line' on the 'Sierra Lara' would suggest that there will soon be another very large load of fish leaving these isles soon. Won't get started on 'over-fishing' or the reasons why we don't consume so much more of the wonderful catch here. (beginning to sound like Rick Stein, but to see those lovely langustines caught in the 'Western Isles' of Scotland, and shipped off to Spain, Portugal and France does amaze me - I can only think it has something to do with money/profit!).

Rick, WOW, that was some tale about the injured dog on the line - I wonder if that controller would have the guts to sit there and apply the throttle himself? I fancy that this one might run and run. I like the way you finally got satisfaction on the parcel problem - if I were the vendor, I'd certainly not be using that carrier again. (I like the services of 'Sue, Grabbitt and Runne' myself!).

Neil(NHN), you really have opened some memories these last couple of days - I've been lucky enough to hear the Moto Guzzi 500cc V8 fired in anger, and both my Father and I liked the basic engineering, but although having the top speed of a modern superbike, the shape and ride height of the engine made for awkward handling. The materials technology also let it down in terms of reliability, which meant it didn't win much. I did have a model kit in the 'Motomodelli' by Protar range, and that in itself was a bit of a plumbers nightmare to build.

Ian(RH), I'm sorry to read about the bad start to your commuting week - it seems to be getting worse daily, and surely someone is going to have to step in to resolve the building crisis. Don't suppose Mike(SM), would fancy the job??

Pete(trisonic), it was good to see you 'popping in', although I'm not too sure I like the sound of that next storm coming our way. I don't suppose the Department are calling for your services at the moment, or do you work through the worst of the weather?

Thinking of all the ailing digital friends on here, and hope the week goes smoothly from now, I'm off to get ready for nursing sister daughter to take me for my scan, although it may be a while before I get any results with my oncologist on leave this week. I'll be back later if I can stay awake.

Kind regards,

Jock.

• Like 8

Afternoon all from a grey Scottish HQ. Went out for dinner last night at an Italian restaurant near the flat - GF and I had our first date on 13th Feb last year, and the first meal we had was in Giuliano's so we went back (although to a different branch as we had a 50% off voucher for that branch!) last night.

Off out tonight for birthday meal and drinks with friends at a Scottish Indian fusion restaurant that we went to last month and enjoyed. My diet's taking a beating so I'll need to get back on it tomorrow...

• Like 11

Currently in Reading.

Granddaughter, Eira (welsh for snow) arrived yesterday at 2330. Clever girl, as it was also the Obergrumpenfuhrer's birthday, so was the best possible present.

I will try and get some pics when she gets home later today.

Nice to have some good news. Congratulations to Mum

• RMweb Gold

Jock.

Hope the scan goes well. Matthew was scheduled for one 10 years ago but it wasn't needed as the EEG test revealed all they needed to know about his epilepsy. Epilepsy was the best diagnosis of what was happening to him at the time. He fell asleep during the EEG test, it didn't matter apparently!

Tony

Edited by Tony_S

Afternoon all from a grey Scottish HQ. Went out for dinner last night at an Italian restaurant near the flat - GF and I had our first date on 13th Feb last year, and the first meal we had was in Giuliano's so we went back (although to a different branch as we had a 50% off voucher for that branch!) last night.

Off out tonight for birthday meal and drinks with friends at a Scottish Indian fusion restaurant that we went to last month and enjoyed. My diet's taking a beating so I'll need to get back on it tomorrow...

Blimey! Do they do a good Haggis rogan josh? :jester:

Tuesday all day here...

Yesterday was peaceful as the client had the day off - Presidents Day - so I was able to work without any cockwomble interference. Funny how much better the day goes.

Looks like the "Hornby profit warning..." thread has reached new heights and should be subtitled "Armageddon, panic now, the end is near or HERE!"

NOTE to self; I really must stop reading these whine-fests :O Then again, the news here is all about the political bun-fights between the presidential race and who should or should NOT be allowed to appoint a new Supreme Court Justice. I think the same crazies folks are involved in both the RMWeb threads AND US politics! Arrghhhhh! :butcher:

-1 overcast and patchy fog (reported, not seen) this morning at role call. All present and accounted for. Supposed to be ZERO for the high and 60% chance of snow today, then -13 overnight.

Make the most of your day.

• Like 11

Jock,

This morning I wuz wearing a Dryzabone type oilskin duster. Cops do not go out of their way to say thanks..............

Gets me out of the house.

G’night Jock - in case I miss you later. Hope everything goes well.

Best, Pete.

• Like 9