The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Took youngest Herbert out for a belated birthday meal. Had a thai meal which was very good - hope Sister Drac wasn't watching!

Potential clubrooms are OK but a lot pricey... but.... we may just have to go for it for a few months.

Sleep well everyone

Baz

PS Pete - hope you can survive the cold

PPS Ian A - LNER4479 added pipework to one of his A4s on his thread (Grantham) if it is of use. I don't bother looking at ME tube as the reviews are useless - the worst RTR locos I have worked on fitting DCC are made by Heljan and no one even mentions that. And stay warm! 

• Like 14

A pretty carp day all round. The roads weren't as clear as expected for a school holiday and neither job went according to plan which meant a late finish. I can see a theme developing this week.

It's also taken me most of my evening to catch up with todays posts thanks to a bad gateway message.

It's great to see DD and Lisa posting

Stewart - I hope that it's not long before you're back to normal.

Gordon - Sorry to hear of your loss.

Stay warm and safe out there.

Night all

• RMweb Premium

Evening everyone. Another bright and sunny, but very frosty day today. Woke up to the alarm this morning, then realised I'm on holiday, Doh, but as Sheila had to be out early this morning for her mammogram anyway, it didn't matter too much, luckily the hospital is only a short walk from home and she walked there and back in 45 minutes. Before I could drive to for my 11:15 eye test appointment I had to defrost the car, and that was at 10:30! The temperature was 1C on my way in to town. New glasses required, so an order has been placed for both glasses and sunglasses. The last 2 pairs I've had, have lasted 8 years, so I've had my money's worth! And they say Yorkshire men are tight!

Dave. I used simple soap through out my radiotherapy and didn't have any problems whatsoever, I also got a huge tub of aqueous cream in just in case, and never used it, I must have been extremely lucky that my skin didn't burn, or is it that I'm just thick skinned! I also found the staff operating the machine very reassuring. But over the 7 1/2 weeks, they had a huge turnover.

Stevo. Sheila's mother also gave the grim reaper the slip many times, we honestly don't know where she found the strength from, she looked so frail! At times I think the kids must have thought we were making it up.

Mal. I can sense the relief with your count down to your chemo sessions. I celebrated my last one with a box full of homemade cakes for the staff who'd been treating me.

Gordon. Sorry to hear about Ott, 60 is no age is it?

Jock. Hope the radiotherapy went ok today.

Baz. Hope the club room survey went ok.

Remember, keep smiling, it confuses the bu99ers

Goodnight all

Edited by BSW01
  • Like 15

• RMweb Premium

Off for another hopefully short shift. (The joys of helping out at wife's work......)

Had to defrost the car twice last night - going to and coming from. Looks like same again tonight.

Maybe catch up later.

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 12

Evening all,

Thank you for all the wishes which are much appreciated as usual.

All change for me this morning, nice easy run to Colchester (half term?), and early arrival to learn that late on Friday my oncologist (who is on leave this week) met with the consultant radiologist and decided to switch from five small doses to one large one today! The person who should have phoned me to inform me didn't and I'll probably get a letter tomorrow! Suits me well on one hand, cost of five trips, but as the lady who filled in the consent form with me confirmed, there will be quite a lot more pain for a while. She also pointed out that it would make me feel very tired for a time, and she wasn't wrong as I'm really struggling to keep my eyes open at the moment and so I'll apologise and keep notes to post at some time tomorrow. I have my brain scan tomorrow early afternoon and so offer commiserations /congratulations as deserved meanwhile.

I'm going to attempt to catch up a little now, and then hope for zzzzzs!

Kind regards,

Jock.

G'night Pete! G'night all!

• Like 1

Evening all. Firstly I would like to work wish Jock all the best for the brain scan tomorrow. I hope the larger than expected treatment from today is successful too.

After a lie in this morning I got dragged out shopping today. A new piece of storage furniture was purchased to hide Amber's growing collection of toys. This collection was added to after a visit to the toy shop to spend her birthday money. That meant the afternoon was spent putting together various bits of Lego and Playmobil.

Sarah and I had a late candle lit meal at home. More quality time spent together.

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium

Morning all.  

Ever wondered why Aussies are renowned for greeting folk with "G'day"?  Perhaps it's because there is a sense of confusion over day and night when one is upside down and around half a day ahead of much of the world.  I still haven't worked out why that time advantage doesn't allow me to predict the winning lottery numbers in the UK ;)

Our run of comfortable summer days has ended with cold southerlies blowing in last night from the Land of the Penguin.  This morning it's grey, damp and feels cold at just 16C.  Nature is indicating the arrival of Autumn as deciduous leaves start to brown and fall and spiders make nests in curled leaves spun into webs.  There's more warm weather on the horizon however with 29C forecast by the weekend.

Toll still failing miserably to deliver Mrs G's parcel.  They have now left three cards and offered no reasonable excuse when called.  They even suggested they would leave the item at a post office in town (which is some inconvenient distance away) on Saturday.  They didn't, of course, because the post office is closed on Saturday so again they lie.  If it's not delivered today it will be time to reawaken the occasional "business" of Rodgers, Tresoddett and Seaman, Solicitors.  A phone call will be made, if required, from their Associate one "Trevelyan Rodgers" who has mysteriously appeared at infrequent intervals over the years when an application of boot to backside was required.

Support and friendship freely offered here to all in need.  

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium

Hope all goes well with brain scan Jock.

Short shift done. Just a couple of business guys left in the bar, with all the wedding guests gone to bed. Regular night guy happy, so I've left him to it.

No need for a double defrost of the car, as it was just about still warm form it's trip down to work.

Night off tomorrow, but same again Weds/Thurs. Hopefully being mid-week weddings, there's less chance of late drinking, although I guess a few of Thursday's wedding guests will have booked Friday as a holiday.

By then, my layout should be loaded in the van for the Telford D&E weekend.

A bit more stock preparation earlier - some new items making their exhibition debut had a bit of weathering applied today (now yesterday)

Up at 8.30am for my own work, finish at 7.15pm, but with a nice gap in mid-afternoon. There may be a nap involved!

Have a good Tuesday folks.

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium

Mawnin' awl. Intended to post this before mattress listening duty last night but was stopped by the same Bad Gateway message Neil mentioned…

dsc009251crcd.jpg

The second half of my exhibition special shift took place on Turn 1651. The afternoon Line 16E turns were planned such that upon arrival at the Central Station West stop, they would return empty to the Exhibition Centre, only carrying passengers down for the city centre. The planned path was via Pfaffendorfer Straße, the Zoo, Nordplatz and the Public Bath Curve back onto Line 16's regular path.

This curve out of Michaelisstraße is where I was stood ahead of in this view. The signals for turning left onto Eutritzscher Straße takes a lot of time to turn clear, so I had plenty of time for photos – also because the allotted travel time for the "Service Move" (which I guess is what you could render the "Dienstfahrt" bit as in English) was more than generous.

dsc009296do8s.jpg

Up at the "other platform" on the Exhibition Centre grounds, while the regular Line 16 services would use the inner platform. The idea was to have the extra services slip in between two regular services for the trip back to the city centre. Along with a "House, Garden and Leisure" themed exhibition, a medical congress is currently taking place there, and a "Beach & Boat" exhibition will soon open up as well.

Best wishes to you all and to Jock in particular!

• Like 18

• RMweb Gold

Sleep well Jock.

Just about to back into the garage to see how the new signal set.

Thats all I managed last night with the trains being late as by the time I took one of our cars for a run to make sure it will start each day (doesnt like the cold and the battery should really be replaced and other car in the locol garage for the ABS sensors to be fixed) then eat, it was gone 8pm. The new signal required a hole drilled then filed out square so I couldnt really do any more otherwise the noise would have disturbed next door.

Watching the online departure boards, the train service really went down hill with most either cancelled or 30 -60 minute delays till end of service. Fingers crossed for this morning.

Edited by roundhouse

Morning all. Chilly but not frosty this morning. Slept better last night but still feel knackered so more coffee required.

It looks like another long day today which doesn't appeal to me.

Jock - Good luck for the scan today.

Here's hoping that those commuting by train have better journey's today.

Have a good day everyone

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all,

Dry but minus 1oC and plenty of frost on the car. However a combination of the quickclear windscreen and some squirts of de-icer on the other windows and lights soon sorted that out so The Boss was deposited at work on time.

Today I'm waiting in for a plumber to fix a dripping tap. I could do it myself but as I pay the local water company to do such things I will stand and watch! 

Also got to finish sorting out my house insurance. I got some quotes yesterday (all far cheaper than my current mob - I will be having words with them) but just need to check the small print.

Have a good one,

Bob.

• Like 2

Another pop in....

Condolences to Gordon...

Of course at the height of the snow yesterday went into Westfield town centre to pick up my new iPhone from Verizon. No one else there and I managed to get my monthly bill reduced by $56.00, which was a result too. By the time I left my car was covered in snow with a topping of very hard ice. So drove home in an Ice Storm -which was far worse than driving in a Snow Storm.

As I write at approx 1:00am everything has eased off for a while and the temperature in the back yard has risen to 36f - which is the warmest it has been since the middle of last week during the afternoon.

Looking at the radar for the East Coast then this storm (Olympia?) is rather large, stretching from the top of New Brunswick, Canada all the way down to southern Florida, USA. After more rain later it will head out across the Atlantic to Europe.

On Sunday we had the coldest “high” temperature since 1910 - for Valentines Day.

Best, Pete.

Edited by trisonic

• RMweb Premium

Toll still failing miserably to deliver Mrs G's parcel.  They have now left three cards and offered no reasonable excuse when called.  They even suggested they would leave the item at a post office in town (which is some inconvenient distance away) on Saturday.  They didn't, of course, because the post office is closed on Saturday so again they lie.  If it's not delivered today it will be time to reawaken the occasional "business" of Rodgers, Tresoddett and Seaman, Solicitors.  A phone call will be made, if required, from their Associate one "Trevelyan Rodgers" who has mysteriously appeared at infrequent intervals over the years when an application of boot to backside was required.

Having received no delivery by 4pm today Toll Priority duly received a phone call from one "Trevelyan Rodgers" seeking their explanation for an apparent breach of contract between themselves and their customer, the consignor.  The call also made mention of the facts regarding observed delivery "attempts" being made by popping cards into the mailbox instead of delivering to the house.  The parcel was tracked and was advised as being on the van for redelivery today.

Trevelyan Rodgers, for his client the Good Lady Mrs G., further advised that if delivery was not made today he would be back on the phone at 9am and would include demands for three days loss of income while Mr and / or Mrs Addressee were at home expecting the delivery.  The Toll agent dutifully apologised and stated that the "feedback would be escalated."

Within 15 minutes the parcel appeared on the doorstep - though with no attempt to knock the door nor obtain a signature.  Perhaps the driver had been brought to book and was wary of meeting anyone face to face.  

Funny how a few well-chosen words from the "right person" can have the effect of applying a swift kick to the corporate hind quarters of a major business.  

All's well that ends well.  

• Like 19

Good morning one and all

The search for the photo booth went well.  Such a machine exists in my local Tesco and I used it after an emergency fodder run [miscounted the slices of bread again].  I now have five hideous images which make the bags under my eyes, normally concealed by spectacles, look like a matching set of luggage.  If nothing else gets in the way today I will attack the task of locating and completing the application form.

I looked out on my garden yesterday.  While the snowdrops flourish, the daffodil has fallen over.  There should be many more and I wonder what has become of them.  That garden has a history of producing one-off yields.  When I first moved in I had high hopes of growing vegetables, bolstered by that subversive book from Readers Digest "Food From Your Garden".  The garden had other ideas.  When you sow an entire packet of carrot seeds and get just one carrot the garden is clearly trying to tell you something: "Don't mess with me, sunshine" might have been it.   I inherited a gooseberry bush.  It grew one fruit.  I burned it [the bush, that is, not the gooseberry].  Ho hum.  When the temperature is higher I must rip the dock leaves from the strawberry bed to see just where there are spaces for new plants.  Sadly some of those spaces were caused by ripping out dock leaves and taking the strawberry plants with them.  Do I hear cries of "stick to modelling"?  Let's not go there.

Good and improving health to all

Chris

• Like 3

Morning All,

My thoughts are also with those of you in pain - either physical or emotional.

Gordon, sorry for your loss

Jock, hope you slept well!

It wasn't my old firm Hall & Co. Ltd by any chance Phil? They had branches all over the South and South East but I can't actually remember one in St. Leonards.

I used to work for Hall's as well for a while. I'm pretty sure it wasn't them though, I seem to remember a longer name. Possibly one of the Kent pits?

Not Corralls per chance? They were pretty big in the South East and are still going strong today.

Have a good day everyone...

• Like 11

Morning all!

Seems chilly today but still have to go and do battle with Southern Failway! This was also noticed when Littlehampton was reduced of service for resignalling (although it still has semaphores!) that the bus service, at 15 minute intervals, is, actually, better than the train service. Still, two buses and two trains are possible, according to the website, today!

As usual, thoughts, wishes, condolences, etc. to all who need. (I know this may seem a bit general, but the number of 'those who need' is increasing and I don't want to leave anyone off a list of named souls!)

• Like 1