The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

HUMP day and a drive into the office.

Managed to leave about 10 minutes earlier than usual, therefore ALSO managed to miss/avoid the cluster of cockwombles I usually encounter - result :)

Work mostly yesterday, and some evening time spent continuing to add accessory parts to locos. Begun fabricating cylinder drains for unrebuilt BB/WC, looks like they will do a treat.

Other than work today, will pick up Jemma late afternoon from the airport as she is inbound again for another 4-5 day trip. I do like the fact that she's based here in Minneapolis even though she's living in Montana. Means she usually overnights with us either the day before her trip starts, or when it ends.

-9 and sunny driving in, with -2 listed as the high, but from now on for the next week expected to be/remain above zero. Unseasonably warmer than usual.

Carpe hump day.

• Like 17

• RMweb Gold

Afternoon all

Thoughts are with those undergoing maintenance and repairs, best wishes to everyone else.

I have successfully completed some work on the baseboards.

Not much though.

I find woodworking difficult these days.

Since I started wearing hearing aids I have nowhere to put the pencil.

• Like 5

Galatea made an impressive sight and sound as it went past me, just south of St Bees station. Video taken with iPhone, which has turned out quite well. I must see if I can extract a still image from the video to post, but I am still new to videos on iPad and iPhone, and haven't tried editing them yet. A friend was on the opposite side of the line to me with his camera, planning to get a shot of Galatea with St Bees Head in the background. he showed me the results, which worked perfectly, except that the smoke from the loco obscured St Bees Head!

My earlier post about a Duchess on the Cumbrian Coast line seems to have been a bit premature! The UK steam tours website is now showing Saturday's trip as being with Galatea again. I don't mind missing that as a result of being on the Ratty.

Edited by Simon G
  • Like 16

Galatea made an impressive sight and sound as it went past me, just south of St Bees station. Video taken with iPhone, which has turned out quite well. I must see if I can extract a still image from the video to post, but I am still new to videos on iPad and iPhone, and haven't tried editing them yet. A friend was on the opposite side of the line to me with his camera, planning to g

My earlier post about a Duchess on the Cumbrian Coast line seems to have been a bit premature! The UK steam tours website is now showing Saturday's trip as being with Galatea again. I don't mind missing that as a result of being on the Ratty.et a shot of Galatea with St Bees Head in the background. He showed me his pictures, which worked perfectly except that the smoke from the loco obscured St Bees Head!

Even better if you could attach the video! I know myself and a certain Scotsman would appreciate the sights and sounds of one of Stanier's finest.

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Some pale blue sky, pinky clouds and a bit of late afternoon sunshine and it's stopped raining.

Ray dropped me off at the 'corner shop' (these days it's in the nearest garage a mile across the field, round trip 6 miles by road) to get a few groceries, earlier.  I've not had fish fingers with oven chips since the kids left home, but found they well suited recovery from illness on my recent visit to see dd.  Seeing some in the shop freezer, I bought a box of 12 fish fingers and a small bag of chips.   That'll do a couple of meals and recovery from lingering cold!

Edit.  It was 2oC outside this afternoon..

Edited by southern42
  • Like 14

• RMweb Premium

it has rained here all day.. swimming pool/ice skating rink front garden full of water again.

Been busy weathering.... lost of mineral wagons are now inked up ready for some dust but this will have to wait till Friday as tomorrow involves a trip to see our House in Barrow. - Lots of work having been done there we need to see it before the new people move in next week.

Have a great evening everyone!

Baz

PS Polly is that Fish Fingers with tomato sauce/ tartare sauce/mayonnaise? Her indoors used to work on the Fish Finger line for Birds Eye in Grimsby during her summer hols. (one job was a codblockknockerouter). She won't buy any thing other than Birds Eye fish fingers

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium

Galatea made an impressive sight and sound as it went past me, just south of St Bees station. Video taken with iPhone, which has turned out quite well. I must see if I can extract a still image from the video to post, but I am still new to videos on iPad and iPhone, and haven't tried editing them yet. A friend was on the opposite side of the line to me with his camera, planning to g

My earlier post about a Duchess on the Cumbrian Coast line seems to have been a bit premature! The UK steam tours website is now showing Saturday's trip as being with Galatea again. I don't mind missing that as a result of being on the Ratty.et a shot of Galatea with St Bees Head in the background. He showed me his pictures, which worked perfectly except that the smoke from the loco obscured St Bees Head!

Seen as WCRC have been banned (again) as of tomorrow, it may not run on Sunday.

Cheers,

Mick

Left the missus home town at 11.26 and had just under 2 hours in Bruxelles Midi. Its a charming station if you want your mobile nicked, but these days there is Rail Security, police and army patrolling. The interior is improving though. 14.56 Eurostar,17.20 Waterloon 21.21 Exeter Central home. Cases packed to the gunwhales with chocolate, wine, beer and various other commodities but not my late FiL gun that we found in one of his cupboards. My wife suggested we brought it back with us as a souvenir. Yeah thanks for that idea! I missed not getting caught when I nicked a Greek flag in Athens in 73. Probably would have been a bit unluckier this time with a gun.

When we were last there we found (we thought his only gun and a group of live ammo) which we took to the police station. As a former para he must have retained them.

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold

Cheers,

Mick

Good grief, not again. What happened this time? I would look elsewhere but topics like that seemed to get locked down pretty quickly.

I have my two Johnson Press/Northern Rail tokens ready and waiting but my options seem to be growing fewer by the day.

Edited by BoD

• RMweb Premium

Evening, mad busy at work as Steve was off for the day, and deliveries arrived from Bachmann, Hornby, Gaugemaster and Accucraft - all together!  We also still have builders in working on our extension, almost finished now thank crunchie.  Apologies if anyone got a dusty box, just everything is covered in grey dust!  Me too...oh no, that's my normal hair colour.....

Also the engineering sample of IoM Railway 16, 'Mannin', the last and biggest of the Manx Peacocks arrived for me to sus out fitting R/C to, arrived.  Oh yummy, it's a cracker.  Photos tomorrow.  15mm scale live steam by the way.

Why was it, I wonder, that ten seconds after I posted the shot of Donk fiddling with the hard drive recorder (he found two blown capacitors by the way, and repaired it) the forum went down?  It hadn't recovered by the time I went to bed, I suppose he was up all night helping Andy get it sorted.

Good grief, not again. What happened this time? I would look elsewhere but topics like that seemed to get locked down pretty quickly.
I have my two Johnson Press/Northern Rail tokens ready and waiting but my options seem to be growing fewer by the day.

http://orr.gov.uk/news-and-media/news-and-announcements/2016/heritage-train-operator-prohibited-from-running-rail-services

• Like 14

Cheers,

Mick

According to the UK Steam Tours website, the Cumbrian Mountaineers are run by The Railway Touring Company and not WCRC, so they might run, unless they are reliant on WCRC staff and locos/rolling stock.

• RMweb Gold

You may have been relieved that I haven't been bothering you all with my observations lately. This has been down to the fact that the move had been agreed for the 11th Feb but due to problems in the chain, one surveyor taking a dislike to a bit of flat roof and someone else failing to get a completion certificate for building work it got postponed. I did contact BT to advise however they did cut off my broadband and telephone on the 11th. very helpful when trying to sort out a house move. We did finally on the 12th agree on a completion date of the 19th ( the building control officer having visited and issued a certificate. I am in the dark as to how the flat roof was resolved). I did try to get the phone and broadband restored for a week which kept being promised next day but when on Tuesday a nice lady phoned to say they were expediting the order and it would be provided by the 26th. I just checked what was going to be provided and it was the restore. I suggested that as we would no longer be living there they might as well forget the restore. She did however promise to supply the phone at the new address for the 19th. Broadband would have to wait for the Monday.

How you may ask am I able to log in. Well with everything packed beds dismantled etc. we have decamped to the Motorhome on the nearby campsite and having some left of a years sub for wifi on CC sites I can actually log on. It is rather like getting the chance of a pushbike when your sports car ( i.e. BT Infinity) has been nicked. But still most welcome.

As service is slow I cannot sensibly catch up. I do hope all are as well as can be hoped. My commiserations to those who have befallen various problems calamities or the like.

One thing I did read was ID gaining an insight into how cancer affects patients. Mind you Jock may be unusual I have not seen much complaining or moaning from Jock. Both gentlemen are an inspiration.

Don

Don

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Normally I'm at the model railway club tonight but as I'm on the painkillers for the sciatica I decided not to chance driving. Just sent an e-mail to the head cockwomble CEO of Atlas Editions. They really are the pits to deal with and if they didn't produce such desirable models I would tell them where to stick their series. Thats enough ranting for now, the new painkillers are kicking in and I'm now feeling quite cheerful. :senile: :crazy:

• Like 1

Evening all,

Managed to achieve flanged transport on 4/5 journeys again, even if class 313 was involved!

Call me a Luddite if you will

Chris 

It has to be done! ChrisF:  you're a luddite! :)

HUMP day and a drive into the office.

Carpe hump day.

Strangely, I've always known it as PIVOT day!

Afternoon all,

Just passing through - as is my wont.

"hump day"

It may be your won't but you did! Now that's a phrase I haven't heard for a while - has some interesting connotations outside of the mid-week aspect!

Thoughts and wishes, etc., etc.

Night all!

Toodly bye! (if you recognise that phase, you're certainly showing your age, or fanaticism with a certain comedy series - I know which one, but do you?)

<edit> You'll probably name the character who used it too!

Edited by JohnDMJ
  • Like 8

• RMweb Premium

it has rained here all day.. swimming pool/ice skating rink front garden full of water again.

Been busy weathering.... lost of mineral wagons are now inked up ready for some dust but this will have to wait till Friday as tomorrow involves a trip to see our House in Barrow. - Lots of work having been done there we need to see it before the new people move in next week.

Have a great evening everyone!

Baz

PS Polly is that Fish Fingers with tomato sauce/ tartare sauce/mayonnaise? Her indoors used to work on the Fish Finger line for Birds Eye in Grimsby during her summer hols. (one job was a codblockknockerouter). She won't buy any thing other than Birds Eye fish fingers

Birds Eye fish fingers and salt n (Sarsns) malt vinegar on the chips.  :nyam:

I worked one summer hols in bar wrap at Nestles although that also meant unwrapping (Pink Panther bars and vending machine coffee).

Cheers,

Mick

There's already been notification from one tour company that they were cancelling tours until further notice.  Sad business.

' Night all.  Let's hope for better things to come.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Mornin', Evenin', Whatever............. I've no idea.

An early finish for normal work today meant that I could do some much needed wheel cleaning for the upcoming exhibition this weekend. Then a couple of hours head down before the night shift.

Thankfully another shortish shift. Quite busy at the end as about 25 of the wedding guests descended into the bar after the festivities ended in the main function suite next door. A much more relaxed atmosphere than a few nights ago. Different full-time night guy on tonight who was well ahead of normal duties and it's on his say-so that he's let me go early. Ta! He's also very good behind the bar and is easily able to handle the crowd.

Normal work resumes at 11am Thursday, so plenty of time for some zzzzzzz.

Same again tomorrow night, but probably with less wheel cleaning.

Have a good Thursday folks.

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 13

According to Wikipedia, the ORR claim there have been seven more incidents since the infamous SPAD at Wootton Bassett.