The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

yes Elder Lurker is also sitting 24 exams in total (9 GCSEs). I agree that there were less O level, but I am sure a good proportion of them were 3 hour jobs, whereas the exams Elder Lurker is doing average about 1 hour 30, with the longest being 2 hours 15 (English Lit paper 2, English poetry since 1789 and Jeckyll and Hyde).

Sounds about right but two of Joe's were photography and I believe they took 5 hours each!

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold

Regarding sad tales of lost pets.

Our son has a black Labrador, no relation to other dark canines sadly seen here, quite charming in fact.

You may recall that we have 'dog sat' for him in the past when they have been on holiday. Because of a change of circumstance for our son and the strange shift patterns he now has to work, the dog lives with us at least half of the time.  The dog adapts well and we love having him. However, given that he is already nearly 12 years old, I am trying hard not to become too attached to him.  It is difficult.

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon All

Late on parade, though I am fully caught up, and all posts since my last are read and rated. 

Jonn (CB) - so sorry to hear about losing Sandy - 16 plus years of companionship is a lot, but it has to be said that it was a good innings.  We dog owners (well, in reality we don't own them, we look after them, and give them all the love and care that we can) - and when that final call has to be made, it is never easy, even when it is evident that it is the only answer.

Generic greetings are, of course, on offer to everybody else, and I too saw that Debs was online - good news indeed.

Back on Thursday.

Regards to All

Stewart

• Like 18

1 I sincerely hope the diagnosis from the quacks is not anatidaephobia

2 I passed my six-month review with flying colours and the advice that I should consider a Team Leader or Trainer position within the next year. We’ll see.

Best wishes to all.

1 Had to look that one up

2 Congratulations

• Like 11

Chewsday, a bit late, but oh well...

Nothing of note from yesterday, and today looks to follow the same pattern <yawn>

17 and sunny this morning expecting 27 for the high.

Have a good approach to HUMP day.

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium

And currently sitting on the next door neighbour's tv aerial is - a Red Kite

Good Lord. I had thought the nearest free-flying examples to our general neck of the woods was the Elenith population in rural mid-Wales. I watched them soaring above the hills on a visit to the Dolaucothau gold mine. But a Red Kite in Outer Commuterland? There’s one for the book.

• Like 12

Good afternoon fellow ER's. I hope that today finds you well. Thank you for all of the good wishes and advice. The atmosphere here is much improved I am pleased to see. I am certainly aware that the issues I am suffering from do not just impact on me, but on the rest of our household too. Sarah has, in the main, been very understanding and it is to be expected that her patience may wear thing at times. What is not helping is the high pollen count which does not help her own sinus issues.

This morning started well with Sarah needing to take a load of her eBay packages to the Post Office. She did this whilst I dealt with the Tesco shopping delivery. Then we both strolled over to the coffee morning at the local church. Sarah collected plenty of Avon orders from the old ladies whilst I enjoyed a model railway related chat with some of the regulars. They are such a supportive group that I always find my time there helpful. 

Sadly the afternoon was less positive. I walked over to take my consignment of parcels to the Post Office, and felt the start of a panic attack during my short time in the queue. I managed to control it, but the subsequent tiredness made the walk back feel much longer. The feeling remained all afternoon and I have just had to extract myself from the park to come home, leaving Sarah and Amber at play, because I was not feeling good again. It looks very much like I will need the medical certificate extending after all.

Tonight I am due to be at the church model railway group. Hopefully I will feel up to it.

Meanwhile I hope that we hear from Debs soon. Good wishes to all - hoping that Andy.P is taking things easy and that ChrisF is keeping his own black dog on the leash.

Best wishes

Andy

I now feel rather leg weary, but otherwise good, and now ready for a visit to a Chinese Restaurant in Balloch!

If it's the one my sister-in-law and her husband patronise, you should enjoy it!

• Like 11

I suffer from a pigeon / dove that sits on my chimney stack, sticks its head down a chimney and intones "K - Kooo Koo" ad infinitum.  Can anyone send a brace of red kites to SE12?  Please!!

Bill

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. The sun did make an appearance this afternoon but not enough to bring on the poppies though some of them are seemingly raring to go. I don't expect them to flower until the weekend now when the weather is predicted to warm up. I sometimes spot raptors when I'm driving but though they are obviously so I am unable to identify the species from a quick glimpse.

• Like 15

I suffer from a pigeon / dove that sits on my chimney stack, sticks its head down a chimney and intones "K - Kooo Koo" ad infinitum.  Can anyone send a brace of red kites to SE12?  Please!!

Sounds like you need a "coo" d'état.

• RMweb Premium

Bill

Are you sure that isn’t a cuckoo? ;)

Bill

I have the same problem. For information, yours is a dove from that call. A pigeon goes K - K - Koo - Koo - Koo, so they are quite easy to tell which is which. Sadly red kites haven’t got to CA27 either, although we do very occasionally get sparrowhawks here, but they seem to go for smaller prey than the pigeons and doves.

• Like 15

Are you sure that isn’t a cuckoo? ;)

We heard plenty of cuckoos today at Loch Katrine. I think that they were trying to compete with each other at times. It was nice to hea them, as we don’t get them at home either. The nearest ones that I am aware of are at Ennerdale.

• Like 18